Signing a punter and other kibbles and bits

Posted by Darren Urban on April 8, 2013 – 11:33 am

A few odds and ends on a Monday morning during the second week of voluntary workouts:

– The Cardinals signed punter Will Batson Monday. Batson also can kick field goals and kick off, so he’ll fill the role of Ricky Schmitt for this offseason and preseason, I’d think — which means he’s a major long shot. Ultimately, Dave Zastudil (who was very good last year) will be the punter and Jay Feely the kicker. This just gives the Cards an extra helper with a 90-man roster. Batson was with the Titans in preseason last year.

– There will be a special edition of the Big Red Rage this Thursday night at 6 p.m. at the regular spot, Majerle’s Sports Grill in Chandler. Exact details are still being firmed up, but it will be live on Arizona Sports 620 and one of the guests will be General Manager Steve Keim.

– The 2013 Cardinals Cheerleaders will be announced on the site Friday. We will have a series of videos posted this week (1 p.m. so don’t miss them) detailing the audition process.

– I find it interesting that Kevin Kolb signs with the Bills after it could be argued that, had he not gotten hurt against the Bills last season, he might still be a Cardinal. (Then again, following that logic, there might not have been a coaching change at all. But I digress.) He’s got big plans for Buffalo.

– It’s like Harvard winning the NCAA tournament.

– Presented without comment: Former Cardinals QB Max Hall has signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.

Tags: , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “Signing a punter and other kibbles and bits”

1. By Kreedos on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

I wonder who will co-host the Big Red Rage? Rhodes seemed to relish the role even during the losing streaks. I’ll tune in either way.

2. By Steve on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Darren: I’m gonna put you on the spot buddy! If you had to choose between selecting only either Chance Warmack or Lane Johnson for the Cards, just one or the other, who would you choose and why?

3. By david on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Lets not mention max hall anymore. That was bad time for fans.

4. By Sackman on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

I think filling that 90 man roster is going to be a challenge. I understand what they are trying to do, I think you might find that one player that stands out and he might make the team. But when they start cutting thats alot of players hitting the job market with feelings hurt.

Here is a kibble and bit! I wouldn’t be supprised if the Cardinals don’t pick an Offensive Lineman in the First Round. I think they could possibly in round1 go after Dion Jordan probably the Best outside pass rusher in this years Draft. Especially if BA thinks this OL is only 1 player away from being good. They could go after a OG in the 2nd or 3rd round in which they are plenty of out their that are good quality starters. I not saying this is what I would want, however I am just saying I wouldn’t be supprised if the Cardinals went in that direction.

Darren would you be supprised if they went in this direction?

5. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Johnson versus Warmack

Honestly, I have no idea. I’d be lying if I said I’ve ever paid attention to either one in a game I watched. I’m not a fan of taking a guard at 7, but if he is that much better, I’d rather not see a reach.

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Sackman –

RE: Non-OL in first

Nope.

7. By Ben on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

D Urb.

I know you don’t really take requests, just wondering how our first round pick from last year is looking? What are Floyd’s thoughts on Palmer? Has he been staying in shape this off-season. Here is hoping that Floyd has a monster season!!!

8. By Kurt on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Thanks for the Super Max update

9. By joe holst on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren, who do you think the Cards will look at extending this year? Patrick Peterson? Dan Williams? maybe Andre Roberts.. hmm..

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Floyd

He was here last week. Looks fine.

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Joe Holst –

RE: Extending

Peterson can’t be extended until after the season, I believe. As for the others, it will be interesting to see — especially since they have so many on 1-year deals.

12. By jeffgollin on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Logical Will Batson nickname:

“Captain Marvel.”

13. By andystandsup on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

You can’t make this stuff up:
    Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a logo-ed T-shirt made by…you guessed it – a company called “Moxie”.

Wonder if comes in a “toy” size?

14. By Andy Kw on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Who cares about QB Max Hall????????? News on QB Richard Bartel would be better.

15. By T. Stone on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Ben-
    RE: Floyd

What are Floyd’s thoughts on Palmer?

I would say who cares what that kid thinks. He started to come on strong last year, but his job is to keep his second year mouth shut, run his routes correctly, learn from Fitz and catch the ball when Palmer throws it to him.

16. By aaron on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands –

Haha. Bitter fans who praised his “moxie” and expected greatness are downvoting you. What a miserable time as a fan. Thanks Whiz for all your infinite wisdom in evaluating and developing quarterbacks.

17. By G Witt on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

I hope Max Hall has a succussful career in the CFL.

18. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Chance warmack will even make our c better too.

19. By ored on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

good for max,just was’nt made for nfl,if only he had wheels like rg3 then maybe.

if the o-line is as close as ba thinks and he’s thinking the tackles are good to go,then a good pass blocking guard is in order…cooper,ol’ bucky just had him in front of warmack,good points,he’s a better athlete,batter pass blocker,and pretty close in run blocking,and can play center.maybe the only way i don’t go o-line now with palmer is if star was still there,then go o-line in the 2nd,warford,long,or the small school arkansas kid,really is a lot of quality in o-line this year,maybe even take a closer look at the fl.st.tackle,could have big upside.

i like the workout the brit had and the things he’s saying,sometimes champions translate from one sport to another ,guess if you’re world class it’s maybe more a mental thing re:bo jackson and jim brown are notable examples and recently basketball players are tight ends.anyway the discus thrower would be an interesting late round pick.

20. By D on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

I wonder if Steve K will give SD a call on draft day…I hear the Chargers are losing patience with Phillip…wonder if Whiz could convince the HC to give Cards their #4 round pick for Hoyer??? Let Brian and Charlie compete for the job next year…

21. By Brad O'Neill on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

all you max hall haters out there- remember he was the what string qb at the begining of the year? how many reps was hie getting in practice? oh thats right he wasnt getting many at all. The kid got tossed in with very little prep on a bad team that hasn’t kept a qb upright in my recent memory. Was he great no of course not. who would be in that situation? only guy so far that has been is warner. and he retired early because of the pounding.

22. By andystandsup on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

for all you max hall lovers out there- remember he was an UDFA? Whiz named him starter over Derek Anderson and gave him 3 starts? oh that’s right he went 39 for 78, 1 TD with 6 INTs and 5 fumbles. The midget got tossed in when it was clear from the start he was over his head. Was he great HELL, NO! but who would be in that situation? only reason he was taken in the first place was because he was related to Danny White. only guy so far that has been successful is warner. and he retired early because of the pounding and worry that hall would supplant him.

23. By Debeezy on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

@ Brad O’Neil- Looks like we’ve got ourselves a family member of Max Hall on board. Welcome.

24. By andystandsup on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

..and long timer Brad, love ya as a brother (aren’t we all?).
    Hope you take it in stride.

25. By robert on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

free larry fitzgerald

26. By Steve on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Good luck to Max Hall. He was no worse than Derrick Anderson or anyone we had the last two years. I still have and wear one of his jerseys.

27. By BIG RED on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Enough of kevin and max, lets just move on from does losers.

28. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Darren

you feel comfortable TRADING out a couple spots picking up a extra pick and still taking WARMACK

29. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski –

RE: Trading

Makes sense to me.

30. By aaron on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Why not? Apparently Whiz was trying to convince teams that Hoyer was the answer to quarterback problems in his interviews.

31. By monzz on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Whiz N Punt = loser=bad coach=losing seasons=will never be head coach again=will be fired in SD=should never been hired in AZ=Now you know why the Steelers didn’t make him HC=now U know the rest of the Story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go BadAss

32. By Coach Kevin on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I think if Lane Johnson is gone at #7, we should trade out of #7 and move down to grab Warmack or Cooper, plus an extra draft pick. In round two, grab Warford or Pugh. That would give us an interior line to compete with anyone. Warmack and Warford would be the Guards of War.

33. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Bring Max Hall back. I bet BA could work wonders with him. Send Whiz to Canada or the Euro League.

34. By Eazy E on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren, you are always on the fence.

35. By clssylssy on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

As I recall, when we beat the Super Bowl Champs,New Orleans Saints, everybody was singing Max Hall’s praises and now it’s “let’s forget about him”, yada, yada? And, for the record, Coach Whisenhunt was the most successful Coach in Cardinal franchise history, not saying much maybe, but stil, it’s not like he was the one writing the checks either! This is a near year, we’re not out a lot of money on bad investments, so, maybe there’s no place to go but up. I guess if we can’t break .500 the problem may lie some place else but with the players and coaches? Time will tell:)