To take a quarterback

Posted by Darren Urban on April 9, 2013 – 11:38 am

It was the day Steve Keim was hired as general manager, long before Drew Stanton or Carson Palmer arrived or even before Kevin Kolb and John Skelton were discarded. Keim was talking about philosophies, and how he was going to approach the Cardinals’ search for a quarterback after the drought post-Kurt Warner.

“Particularly, I love the idea of quarterbacks, supply and demand,” Keim said that day. “It’s a tough position to find. (Former NFL GM) Ron Wolf always had that mindset that it’s always good to go out and try to get a quarterback every year. You never know how those guys are going to pan out.”

So, right now, the Cards have Palmer and Stanton and Brian Hoyer and Ryan Lindley. Head Coach Bruce Arians is saying “I think our quarterback room right now is as strong as anybody’s in the National Football League. That’s what we set out to do as an organization, to strengthen that position.” Keim obviously overhauled the spot, and that means … what exactly come the draft?

Even before the Cards got Palmer the vibe was always that the Cards were going to pass on a quarterback in the first round. Arians said none of the QBs out there had made him go “Wow” and that’s what it takes for No. 7. Does it mean the Cards won’t draft one, period? Nope. That’s why the Cards are reportedly checking into Matt Barkely and Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib and all these guys who are going to be available. None of that means the Cardinals will take one of those guys. But they are prepared if they decide to do so.

(On a slightly separate note, all the visits/workouts pre-draft for any team, including the Cardinals, shouldn’t be a big deal. There have been many instances where players have been chosen by teams without knowing ahead of time any interest and at the least, it shows proper due diligence to look at all the top players. Especially for a GM like Keim, who believes deeply in making a difference-maker his first pick, the Cards are going to look at all the main prospects.)

The Cards are thrilled to have Palmer but they know he’s not going to be the answer in a few years. That search for a long-term guy continues.

Because you never know how those guys are going to pan out.

PalmerdraftUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

56 Responses to “To take a quarterback”

1. By David Magee on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

You may not think there is a guy out there but if he’s smart, can deliver the ball and has been healthy you have to take a look. I’ve seen what happens to football teams when the likes of Kurt Warner are gone. Just take a look at Cardinal history before and after, Charlie johnson, Jim Hart and Jake Plummer, these are the guys that can move a football team down the field in a hurry and take you to the playoffs.

2. By D on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

All of the decent QB’s will most likely be gone by AZ’s second round pick, so they could just wait until next years draft which is deeper at QB. Unless they can trade down or trade Hoyer for additional picks, I see a long list of needs for this team, besides long term QB, — OT, OLB, S, G/C, RB and another CB. To fill these holes, they need to use all of picks this year and not potentially waste one on a QB.

3. By Chuck 1 on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I think that many Cards fans will be surprised with the first pick.

Many fans want it to be an OLineman (because they don’t believe BA’s comments that the OL is OK). But, I agree that Keim (and Licht and BA) will be true to their words and choose a “difference maker” with the first pick (what ever that means e.g. a pass rusher, LB or safety in their continuing quest to upgrade the defense?). Would an Olineman be a “difference maker”. NO.

Then, maybe a G in round 2?

And, as most fans would probably agree, I an confident that they will draft a QB at some point..

4. By cards4sb on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Sure would be nice if we could find our Brett Favre (2nd round), Joe Montana (3rd round), and Tom Brady (6th round). I believe those rounds are accurate. Forgive me if I am off a little. Anyway, that magic man has got to be there at some point. Right?. If only…

5. By Bill L on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

A QB that would make BA go “WOW” ……..at 7????? Damn, only Elway and Luck ever made me go “WOW”.

At 7 it would seem more of a case of 1) Can this guy, with the proper support lead us to a super-bowl…….see Alex Smith with no O-line, No receivers, No running game, and coaches that insisted on pounding round pegs into square holes………then an O-line, a running game, receivers, and a coach that built him up and understood HOW to use him………Well, in another 30-40 years another Elway/Luck will come along and BA will get his WOW…….but, he better be drafting #1. 2) Is this the guy we want to be the face of our franchise?

Then again, anyone who says levi will make a difference on the O-Line….may be just trying to put out a smoke screen…….but, I seriously doubt smokescreens work too well in the NFL……….anyone(Miami?) offering a 1 for Levi?……a 2? …..a 3?……. a 4?…………anything?

A team can draft some(lots?) positions blind………but, a QB?…Leader of the Franchise?…Face of the franchise?……….seems to me that would be the OL’ Cards. There are too many intangibles, too many subtle differences between a quality NFL QB and an average guy. IMO the staff can’t spend enough time with a QB candidate…..atleast one that is really expected to be the GUY. …..Not just what he is and isn’t…….but what does the coach and franchise have to do to make him all he can be…….how does he need to be handled/managed……And, if you really don’t think he is the GUY, WHY use a HIGH Pick………1st or 2nd round.

Buff, I believe was at Barkley’s pro day………held a private workout………now having him visit……I suspect they will be drafting a QB at 8. I said early, that it would be Barkley…..but Smith, Barkley, or Nassib…….they are doing their homework as thoroughly as possible…I don’t know how they plan to handle and support whoever they choose……but if they think drafting is all it takes, they are counting on luck not skill, IMO….hopefully the Cards would be as/more smart/diligent.

6. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Yes a quaterback blog lol TOTAL GARBAGE IN THIS DRAFT GET WARMACK AND GET READY FOR A RUN AT MANZIEL NEXT YEAR PLUMMER 2.0 BUT A LITTLE BETTER.

7. By Scott H on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, exactly – Palmer is not going to be the answer in a few years. That is a virtual fact. But who knows if Palmer is even going to be an answer THIS year??? I say it’s doubtful, given the chasm that currently exists between the Cardinals and the Seahawks / 49ers. That’s why I don’t really understand anyone doing cartwheels over Carson Palmer. He might be better than whatever else was available to us this year. But that does NOT an answer make.

The most critical statement in this entry from Darren is that the search for a long-term guy continues. And if you take out those few glorious years that Kurt warner gave us…has this search been going on forever or does it just feel that way??? We need a LONG-TERM answer at the position that you CANNOT succeed without in the NFL. Not a continuation of the perpetual cycle of stop-gaps.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

interesting Article by draft analysis Josh Norris on NFL.com;

Who does he think is the top QB in the draft?

1. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas: I don’t expect Wilson to be among the top quarterbacks selected in April’s draft, but he can be successful wherever he lands, thanks to his willingness to stick to the pocket and test vertically. There are some placement issues, but those can be fixed with improved footwork. Projection: Third round

Geno Smith
    Zac Dysert
    Mike Glennon
    Ryan Nassib
    Matt Barkely

I have stated the two QBs I like the most are Wilson and Landry Jones. Obviously, Jones has gotten zero love, but he sure was productive in college. While Wilson continues to fly under the radar, some are seeing he is a Matt Hasselback clone, who may not look the best in shorts but can lead your team to a super bowl.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

One more thing;

Drafting a guy named Wilson in the third round sure worked out last year for Seattle.

10. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

No, it doesn’t just feel that way, like most (largely) unsuccessful franchises, we cycle through head coaches and QB’s way too much, so I understand your frustration.

However, if we look at reality and what was available to us, we should be doing cartwheels over Palmer, because before his arrival we were looking at having Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, and likely an unproven draft pick taking the snaps for us. I can’t believe our QB situation hasn’t already sent Fitz over the edge, but another year like the last one and he’d would have snapped at some point. Whatever criticisms we have of Palmer, above all he’s a legit starting NFL QB, who is most comfortable in a vertical offense, a fact noted by Warner himself during our previous search, and the main concern as it applied to Kolb fitting in to Whisenhunt’s offense. If not Palmer, who else? I like Geno Smith, but acknowledge he’s not Luck or RGIII, so if it’s my first HC coaching job I’ll rather hitch the wagon to Palmer. The others? Highly doubtful any are first year starters, and very questionable as legit #1’s down the road. I see potential in Barkley and Wilson, but that’s about it.

I was pretty critical of Arians and Co., through the their first few moves, but getting Palmer was absolutely necessary to give our offense a chance next year. Hopefully, they don’t make the same mistake Whiz & Graves made in not continuing the search for long-term QB so we’re not right back in this position in the next two years (to your point), but hard as it is for long-time Cardinal fans, we have to at least give them the chance. Maybe they’ll be the ones to figure out our coaching/QB riddle.

11. By Scharf on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

You know. No matter what, it seems to never fail, and that’s the not everyone can be happy factor of football. Carson Palmer is a good quarterback, and now he is paired up with a quaterback guru tandem in Arians and Moore, not to mention he will be throwing the ball to Fitzgerald, Roberts, Floyd, and underrated Housler. The O-Line was poor last year, we all know that, and most importantly the coaching staff knows this, yet here we have it, all these fans above me think they have the answer and have no respect for the Palmer acquisition.

Face it guys, every year you swing, hoping you hit, but sometimes you miss. Get used to it, it happens! No need to complain about it. Spending a 1st round pick on a quarterback now is useless, I haven’t heard any buzz about any of these quarterbacks this year and it would be dumb to pass on say another Patrick Peterson on another rookie QB.

12. By philly cards on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Arians said he never got to sit with kolb to watch video. I’m not gonna watch video then get cut.kolb was right to do what he did. He could have been given a palmer type deal based on what he got I’m buffalo

13. By ored on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

for this year anyway,we seem to be set at qb,now to concentrate on the task at hand,build the “body”.either it’s just as ba said,that this is the time for disinformation and keeping your cards to yourself or he does let snippets of information out for whatever reason.like the suggestion we need a burner at reciever,i think there are only two with times in the 4.2’s and one is more a track star than football player,so austin would be a big chance at #7,but how about trading back a little,get the big notre dame te,get an o-lineman in the 2nd and then maybe a speed reciever like swopes with the other 2nd rounder.depending on if we do something more at safety and ilb we could go for one of the olb that can also play inside,like the stanford lb,he had seven sacks last year and can play inside also.still lots of room for creative thinking,i think the draft is gonna be real exciting this year.

14. By Chuck 1 on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

“…Obviously, (Landry) Jones has gotten zero love, but he sure was productive in college….”

Max Hall was productive in college also.

15. By Ricardo C on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

The more I talk about all this offense the more I realize is that our offense is stacked with weapons we just need a few pieces in our oline I think we have the weapons..I think we should build our team this year with our needs at guard olb s cb and not waist one on a qb so then by next year we won’t have to waist picks on important positions and just fill out our roster with solid players like the Seahawks did this year with Percy harvin and cliff aviril now when the draft comes they can just fill out their roster. Lest fill in our biggest holes this year and next year lets go by best player available

16. By ored on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

big difference in measurements between max and landry(who i happen to like also,would be a terrific late round pick.

btw,really liking the discus thrower from england,has the physical tools,the drive,just needs coaching,what better place than in red?

17. By Scott H on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Scharf –

SOMETIMES you miss? Hey, I’m not faulting the Cardinals for ALL of their misses. Guys like Jake Plummer and even Kevin Kolb were NOT bad calls on their part. They were good tries that had promise but didn’t work out as we could have realistically hoped. But when you look at the bottom line…I’m sorry, but SOMETIMES does NOT accurately tell the story. And as far as I’m concerned, fans have a right to be un-happy until their team gives them something to be happy about. And call me hard to please, but 5-11 doesn’t cut it. As long as I continue to invest myself – financially AND emotionally – in this team, I will speak my mind as I please. It’s your right to not listen if you’d rather not.

Mike E –

Hey, who says Drew Stanton is not just as good as or better than Carson Palmer right now? Until Stanton has an actual body of work that we can use as a frame of reference…who’s to say??? Arians has already named Palmer the starter and while I appreciate that to an extent ( after the last couple of training camps arouind here, it’s actually a relief! ), I also hope Stanton will be considered if he deserves to be considered.

18. By scubasteve on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

We should have let Lindley go and kept Skelton even though he was a disaster in 2012 in Seattle. I think allot of factors went into it. Lindley has no upside from what I can tell, Skelton at least showed promise in 2010 and 2011 actually saving that year.

I say we get a quarterback in the draft and cut Lindley.

19. By Jason on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Maybe we should wait until after the draft/training camp/pre-season/first half of the season before we decide that this year is a failure.

20. By D on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Like I said, AZ will be left with either the 6 or 7th best QB in the second round and this draft is weak at QB—pass all of them…add playmakers at OLB, S and add 2 OLman…fill in rest of draft with depth players like RB and Corner…just think if Jockel, Fisher and Johnson are gone by 7, then a stud Defensive player has fallen…imagine getting D. Jordan as our pass rusher…our defense would be top 10

21. By georgiebird on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Of all the NFL teams, this is the toughest draft for the Cardinals. Since the Cards hired a QB guru in Arians, the pressure is on to get this draft right.
    If by chance there is a franchise QB in this year’s group, then it’s up to Arians to find him. If Cards go OT and someone else picks up the franchise QB then Arians’ star will be a lot dimmer. Tough spot.

22. By Dre on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Build from the inside out we need it take a guard or tackle. We can have the best qb in the NFL. if he is on his back or on ir what’s the point of that. We can’t run the ball we can’t pass th ball our qbs all gotten hurt the last three years. Wait till round five get Matt Scott from the u of a good arm let him sit and build that lean frame.

23. By Sackman on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

scubasteve

What am I seeing a little luv for Skelton?

If I rememeber correctly you only talked good things of Kolb not Skelton!

24. By Cactus jeff on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I think BA would define “difference maker” as a player a team must game plan for. Clay Mathews or Julio Jones are great examples. I don’t like it when a team drafts “just another player” in the first round. Poor strategy. I want a Ogden type OT with 7th pick, not a slighty better version of Levi. If no Ogden OTs exist at #7, get the next Hutchinson at OG, next Ngata at DT, or the next Demarcus Ware at DE/OL. Then fill out the roster with “players.”

25. By Chuck 1 on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I would think that Keim and Licht will probably defer to BA & Moore in their decision as to WHO the best QB is (if one is drafted).

HOWEVER, Keim will decide WHEN a QB is drafted i.e. probably AFTER Keim’s judgement about who the BPA is, which I don’t believe can possibly be a QB.

26. By ored on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

star=ngata,warmack,cooper=hutchinson,those three might be around at 7,if so then we have a decision to make and i don’t see a loser among them.closer everyday to see which way keim leans.something tells me they will surprise us somewhere,just like i really did’nt think they would pull off the palmer trade,so between small bits and pieces from ba to have us thinking one thing,wham,something(a trade??)happens out of the blue.that’s ok,surprises can be a good thing,better than same ol’ same ol’ stuff.if we kept doing the same ol’ predictable stuff we get the same results,after last few years we needed the shake up.

27. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

Who’s to say? Not to sound like a smart ass, but if I were to throw out a guess I’d say just about anyone and everyone affiliated with the NFL, up to and including Steve Keim, Bruce Arians and Tom Moore. Could it be that the league has missed out on what Stanton offers? Possibly, but it’s something all 32 teams have agreed upon. The Jets were so happy with him as their potential back up that they brought Tebow in right after, and we saw much they really ended up thinking of him.

Bottom line, gambling on Stanton as your starter just isn’t a risk any head coach in the Not For Long line of work is going to typically take. Ask Mularkey and Shurmur what kind of a timeline they were given to work with unproven QB’s.

28. By Eazy E on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Coach Hyperbole, please shut up! As strong as any QB room in the league. That is a bunch of hogwash. The consensus is that our QB is the worst in the league. Stop the madness!!!

29. By Jason on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

@Cactus Jeff

I think the problem is that we are not qualified to evaluate who a “difference maker” is. I assume when you say “I want a Ogden type OT with 7th pick, not a slighty better version of Levi” you’re speaking of Lane Johnson…but, Lane Johnson had one of the best workouts for an offensive lineman EVER at the combine. I’m not saying that having a good workout is the end all but it is one of the tools that talent evaluators use and Johnson is a concensus top 10 pick from what I’ve seen. As far as the next Hutchinson, Ngata or Ware I assume your speaking of Warmack, Star and Jordan. My question is how do you KNOW that these players are going to be that good? or “difference maker”s? The draft is littered every year with cant miss prospects who for one reason or another didn’t make it to NFL stardom. As John the Draft Guy has pointed out several times even the best guard’s in the NFL aren’t difference makers or they would be valued and drafted higher. Star was a stellar DT in college but so was Glenn Dorsey and he didn’t have a possible heart condition. Dion Jordan is an athletic physical phenominan but his production in college wasn’t phenominal and PAC 10 pass rushers have a poor track record in the NFL (Suggs is a shining exception). Would I be upset if we draft Warmack, Star, Jordan or Johnson? No, I think they all have the potential to stars…but, as Bill Parcells always say potential just means you haven’t done it yet.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1,

Really? That is your argument?

Andrew Luck and RG3 were productive in college also. Are we going to put them in that class with Max Hall? . How does Hall being productive have anything to do with Jones?

When I look at all college players, production in college is the first thing I look at. The reason you hear draft people say boom or bust player is because they are athletic but the production wasn’t there.

After production, then you look at measureables.

Max Hall is listed at 6’1″ and 205. That is a very small QB.
    You look at arm strength, which Hall really doesn’t have much. You look at the system they played in. Hall played at BYU which runs a QB friendly system and really doesn’t play elite defenses.

Landry Jones on the other hand is 6’4″ and 225. a prototypical QB size. He has great arm strength and can make every throw. He was accurate at throwing the ball down the field. He played in the Big 12, which produces NFL DBs.

One player looks, plays, has the arm strength of a NFL QB and the other doesn’t. Maybe Hall can have a Flutie type career in Canada but he is not an NFL QB and it was embarrassing to see him play for us.

Mike Mayock has Jones as his #5 QB in the draft and I don’t think he even knew who Hall was. Landry Jones has won the Sammy Baugh award as the nations top passer. He was a Manning finalist, the Big 12 Freshman of the year. Fiesta Bowl MVP. He was so much more than productive. So come on now.

31. By T. Stone on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

philly cards

RE: Kolb

Arians said he never got to sit with kolb to watch video

I’ll paraphrase a statement by Buddy Ryan years ago for you and all Kolb lovers.
    There is nobody hurt on this team that matters. In response to why Steve” Beuerlein was in the stands drinking a beer watching the game on Sunday. Just a casual NFL observer knows it doesn’t matter how good the QB is if he is not playing. Remember Stafford’s first couple of years? It wasn’t until a teamate called him a china doll that he figured it out.

32. By D on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey Matty Leinart….the fat lady is singing….hope you didn’t blow your 20mil career earnings on beer bongs, hot tubs and college ladies……maybe you can get a reality tv show…

33. By Mike T on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

I think the Cardinals take Matt Scott in the 4th as a developmental QB. Maybe trade Hoyer during the draft and pick up an extra draft pick.

34. By Cactus jeff on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Jason
    If BA believes Johnson is the next Ogden then I am all in! And yes we fans do a pretty good job at evaluating talent. You had some good ideas, curious to hear who you like best out of the 4 you mentioned?

35. By Chuck 1 on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

I don’t have any problem with drafting Landry Jones.
    You have certainly done much more research than 9t5% of the fans who post on this site.
    My only point was that you wrote that he was “productive in college”.
    There are many QBs that are productive in college but can’t translate that to the NFL. One of those was Max Hall, who was an unmitigated disaster for the Cards.

36. By Andy Kw on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Nice signing in OG Chilo Rachal. Now, lets sign OG Brandon Moore. I think Chilo Rachal will remain on this team as a backup in the 2013 season. If we sign OG Brandon Moore, we can give some competition to OG Adam Snyder and Daryn Colledge.

37. By D on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Regarding Chilo addition.

Everything will shake out by camp, but the two players on the Oline that could be sweating this summer would be Lyle S and Senio K. Colledge is too big of a cap hit to cut this summer same with Brown (next year it could change), they will be on the roster. Massie and Potter will make the roster. Potter can play more than one spot. One or two draft picks is a possibility in this draft. I think Synder could be on the roster as a backup or start as C because he can play G and Center. Usually a team carries 7 dressed lineman on game day…it’s easier not to dress a mid level draft pick than keep a Vet that doesnt’ get to play…should be interesting to see it play out…

38. By eric on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

i would welcome a matt barkley or ej manuel,but only after round 1.

39. By Jason on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

@Cactus Jeff

I don’t evaluate any players…I just regurgitate things I read or see on tv.

As far as who I’d like us to draft I’m of the opinion that I would love to get a LT (Fisher, Joeckel or Johnson are cool with me) and finally shore that position up. Graves and Whiz really neglected the O Line during their tenure and I would love to see us infuse some youth and talent. If Jordan or Milliner fall to us I would love to see them on our D, I think our D Line is good but if Star is as good as a lot of people think he is I’m ok with him. Finally, if the 3 Tackles, Jordan, Milliner and Star are all off the board I would like us to trade down and hopefully be in play for Warmack or Cooper later in the first. Could be a possibility in this situation especially if Geno is still available and the Bills are picking after us. I’m just happy that we appear to haves my options coming up and I have complete faith in Keim.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1

You are right. There is a long list of Heisman QBs who were productive and failed in the NFL.

As for drafting a QB, my opinion changed once Palmer was signed I am one who believes Palmer will be strong for us for 3+ years. With Stanton as a backup, I think if you take a QB, he better be the best player available.

I think it will be difficult to draft a QB in the 2nd or third over guys like Eric Reed, Kyle Long, Barrett Jones, Jamie Collins, Justin Pugh, and several others.

With that being said, I do like Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson in spite of all the bad press they are receiving. I think they both can be productive players in the NFL. I dont know BAs offense and truly what he wants in his QB. I also haven’t been in meeting rooms with these QBs. All I can say is, these guys got the job done in college, have strong NFL arms, and I would take them over Ryan Mallot or Nick Foles.

41. By Scott H on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Mike E –

Well, I’m not saying that Stanton SHOULD be the starter or SHOULD be able to compete for the starting job or that the rest of the NFL has just totally missed on this guy. But all the same, where is the actual evidence that this guy cannot be a good QB? Hey, Arians thought enough of him to bring him here. And that was done with no guarantees that Carson Palmer was ever going to be available. So, that says something about what the coach thinks.

You make reference to how the Jets were “so happy” with him that they immediately brought in Tebow right behind him. Ok…and? How did that work out for the Jets??? Do you think if the Jets could do THAT over again, they might do things differently? I sure do. Look, the Jets drank the Kool Aid with Tebow and I would have told you THEN that that was foolish because Tebow is NOT a good QB. And frankly, the Jets have not distinguished themselves by making good decisions lately. But I think how the Jets played that whole thing really tells us absolutely nothing about how good Stanton may or may not be. That remains to be seen.

Hey, look at what happened in Seattle last year. They brought in Flynn, probably with every intention that he was gonna be their starter. Then, they drafted Wilson and the whole thing went in a completely different direction once training camp started. And as it turns out, that completely different direction was better for the team. So…I hear you. But it does happen in the NFL that what you think in April could change by mid August. Or October.

42. By scubasteve on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Sackman,

Skelton was miles better than Lindley, especially rookie wise in 2010 and 11, in 12 the team had issues all around re. run game and line . I think the Bengals will straighten the kinks out and he will prosper, it is indicative how fast he got picked up. Kolb has one more kick at the can and it is beyond ironic that he is in Buffalo !

43. By scubasteve on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Here is a Cinci take on Skelton as backup there.

44. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

Per usual, all fair responses. The only thing I’d add is I have a hard time thinking of Stanton and Palmer as possible equals at this point in their careers. If Palmer has slipped that far I’m certain we wouldn’t have brought him on-board. I have no problem with signing Stanton, he knows Arians’ offense and what little he has done in his career gives us some reason to believe he could be an adequate backup. But if Arians was that comfortable with him as the starter I’m certain Palmer wouldn’t have been on his acquire list, either. In hindsight, would the Jets have kept him instead of Tebow? Their actions seem to indicate they weren’t too dazzled by either.

But you make a good point, in the NFL everything is fluid. The Rams were so comfortable with Warner as their backup when Green went down, that GM John Shaw spent the night before their first game in complete agony, reportedly rolling his head on the dinner table he was at with Georgia Frontiere. Even at the highest levels of NFL experience, that position can be a complete guessing game.

45. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Scubasteve,

Saying Skelton is better than Lindley is like saying a punch in the stomach is better than a kick between the legs. Sure i’d rather take the shot to the stomach but they both hurt and you cant survive taking those shots game after game.

46. By Coach Kevin on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Here’s the steal of the draft, and he won’t be drafted. Sean Renfree, QB, Duke. Local kid from Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep who had a great career at Duke and learned from one of the masters who was also Peyton Mannings old coach. Renfree will be the free agent steal of the Century, and could become a starter within 2-3 years.

47. By ored on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

a nice running game and a solid line helps a lot.

48. By johnwimmer on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

speaking of QBs, here’s some quality stuff..http://www.theonion.com/articles/kevin-kolb-ive-always-dreamed-of-playing-for-the-b,32010/

49. By scubasteve on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy

Skelton regressed but so did the whole team including the D in 2012 ! Was there a running game last year, could we punch it in from within 5 yards.., was the line decent in Minnesota, St Louis, SF, Buffalo? Skelton showed allot in 2011 and frankly way more in 2010 than Lindley in 2012. It is a moot point now and i think Skelton will improve with a better line, receivers and run game with the Bengals. Besides he is competing for backup there and may be Stanton like when Stanton was a Colt.

Reality was that Skelton was supposed to learn behind Leinart, Anderson then Kolb, all three blew their starting credibility albeit Kolb regained it only to get injured again.

50. By Scott H on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Mike E –

As always, enjoying the dialogue. And I don’t dispute anything you’re saying. Yes, clearly, Carson Palmer should be expected to be a better QB than Stanton right now. For ALL of our sakes, I certainly hope that is true. Clearly, Palmer is expected to be the starter here and that is as it should be.

And while we may be splitting hairs at this point, I remind you that when Stanton was signed here, there was no guarantee that Palmer was ever going to be available. So, I have to think that Stanton was being brought here as a competitor for the staring job. Palmer may have been on the Cardinals wish list but…he wasn’t really even a possibility until the Raiders made him an offer and he passed.

Regardless, it must be hard to be a guy like Stanton in the NFL, ya know? Just in the past year alone, he was bumped by Tebow in NY, then never got a chance to play behind Luck in Indy, now, he is clearly behind Palmer here in Arizona. Seems like he keeps trying to land in a place where he can be a starter and then quicker than he can say “Oh, @&!#” someone else lands right in front of him! But I have to think the one that must be the most frustrating for him was what happened with the Jets. I mean….Tim Tebow??? Please. He was such a media darling that i think most people were blinded by the fact that he’s a lousy QB. At least with Luck and Palmer, he is behind legit QB’s.

Someday, Drew. Someday, perhaps…

51. By clssylssy on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Just read an article about the Bills that described bringing Kolb aboard to replace Fitzpatrick as comparable to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Sure hope that’s not what the Cardinals have done in signing Palmer, whose 4000 yards only amounted to only 4 wins! Given his history, kinda makes one scratch their head and go hmmm. I have a feeling that BA’s confidence in Stanton will grow legs and at some point in the season we will see Stanton as our starting QB…remember, Palmer’s contract is conditional.

52. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

Agreed, the guy really is snakebit, and has to sting a bit to come here, to the worst QB situation in the league, with your former & current HC, and to lose the opportunity again.

Just to be clear, I agree with you in that there’s no way I would have brought Tebow on-board once Stanton was in NY. I sort of the understood the reasoning, as they had some success running the wildcat with Brad Smith, and may have been thinking Tebow could have been useful in short yardage/goal line situations, but if there’s one team that has consistently screwed up the QB position as much as we have, they’re it.

53. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

@clssylssy,

Obviously, we all hope Palmer is the answer here, but if he puts up 4K plus in passing yardage, and make a slight improvement to get his TD/INT ratio to 2:1, I won’t be blaming him if we only get to four wins. Oakland’s defense ranked in the bottom five overall, and was second lowest in sacks. No defense and no field position is hard for anyone to overcome.

54. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy –

My, we have disagreed in the past but we sure are quite simpatico these days. I’m OK with Palmer ( nothing more, nothing less ) and I am trying to be positive and move forward. But your thoughts are the same as mine and I’m glad someone else sees the reality that beind the stats Palmer compiled last year, there were 4 lousy wins and a team that was even more lousy. Seeing as we were a pretty lousy team ourselves as of the last regular season game we played…we can’t possibly expect that Carson Palmer alone makes THIS lousy team better than the Raiders were. And I’m not. I’ve got no such delusions.

I listen to people get all giddy about his stats from last year, and I just say whatever. IF our defense is better that last year ( NOT just as good, BETTER ), and IF our O-line resembles a good O-line ( NOT just better than last year, but GOOD ), and if our running game resembles a good running game ( NOT just better than last year, but GOOD ), then maybe Carson Palmer helps this team get better. But if we don’t have the necessary improvements in ALL of these areas, then Carson Palmer is nothing more than he was last year – a guy who throws for a ton of yards and probably 20-24 TD’s – while we end up looking a lot like last year’s Raiders.

As usual, what I hope for and what I expect are two different things.

55. By T. Stone on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Since BA doesn’t like fullbacks, cut Lindley, if you can, get something for Hoyer and Sherman and bring in Tebow. Convert his 6’3 240 lb third string QB a** to TE/FB/3rd QB and use the vacant 3rd string QB spot and FB spot for someone else that can help this team on Sundays. Tebow cant be a starter at QB, but he is a football player for sure. I hope he can catch.

56. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Mike E –

Hey, sorry, I never saw your last reply. But in regard to your assessment that the Cardinals and Jets have been equally – and tragically – inept at managing the QB posittion over the last few seasons…unfortuantely, I agree 100%. But ya know what? Maybe not…at least with Kolb, the Cardinals were going after the best guy available at the time and you really couldn’t fault them for that. Kolb appeared to be a young QB with true promise. But TEBOW??? Please. The way the Broncos were winning games with him was THE most fraudulent football I have EVER seen. The fact that John Elway COULD NOT WAIT to get Tebow’s sorry rear end out of town as soon as he possibly could should have told everybody something. But the Jets fell for it, and…well, we saw how THAT went.

Boy, how ’bout that 7-6 game for the ages between the Cards and Jets last year, huh? My God, how AWFUL was that???? Two teams, not a single QB between them, two coaches who looked like dead men walking, and 60 miinutes of utter futility. It’a shame somebody actually got a win that day…