Attend draft? No regrets for Ryan Williams

Posted by Darren Urban on April 11, 2013 – 10:17 am

The NFL released the college players who have decided to take the league up on their invitation to attend the draft in New York City in a couple of weeks. It’s always a dicey proposition for some of the players. It’s safe to say Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel and Sharrif Floyd will be top 12 picks, for instance. Their wait is going to be relatively short. But there are many who won’t attend, some because they’d rather be with family (That’s what Larry Fitzgerald chose a decade ago) and some because they’d rather not take the chance to be sitting around into the second round, the cameras capturing their disappointment. (That could be a reason USC QB Matt Barkley took a pass.) No one will ever forget Aaron Rodgers, potential No. 1 pick, waiting all the way until pick No. 24 (in a days of 15-minutes for each first-round selection) and getting more and more frustrated.

In the end, 23 players decided to go to New York. Are they all first-round locks? Hardly. But there is something to be said about the experience regardless. That’s what Ryan Williams thinks. When he came out in 2011, he was invited to the draft. He jumped at the chance. He acknowledges now that even if he hoped to go in the first round, had he been realistic his final season at Virginia Tech — with injuries and sharing the backfield with two other players — probably cost him any chance going in. That didn’t make waiting around Thursday night without being called any easier.

“I wasn’t thinking about what anybody was saying about me sitting back there,” Williams recalled. “I only played a year-and-a-half of football (in college). I couldn’t complain about anything that happened that day.”

That’s with time as perspective, of course. It doesn’t mean he wasn’t upset at the time, and at first he didn’t really want to return to Radio City Music Hall the next night as the second round got under way. A father figure for Williams (Williams’ father is in prison) wouldn’t let Williams stay away. “Make sure you walk that stage,” he told Williams, “because you’ll remember it the rest of your life.”

So too would the 26 people Williams had with him, from his mother — whom Williams gives all credit to getting him to where he is — to family to his friends. “I wanted not only myself but the people I am closest with to be able to experience something like that,” Williams said. “To this day, my boys and I still talk about it. I kind of did it for myself and for everybody.”

It didn’t hurt that Williams is from upstate New York and wanted to be able to go home. He was picked 38th overall to the Cardinals, and still remembers meeting NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on stage, taking pictures, and then having the whole group meet him in that moment. So now, asked if he’d encourage a college kid coming out to go to New York if invited — even if the first round was a question mark — Williams doesn’t hesitate. “Heck yeah.”

“If you’re invited, go,” Williams said. “It’s something you’ll remember. Why not? … That meant a lot to me. Hey, everyone is different. If it doesn’t mean as much, or if staying home with the family means more, I get it. But if it’s a dream come true (to be on that stage), go.”

RyanWilliamsAtDraftUSE

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Attend draft? No regrets for Ryan Williams”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Regardless of football related topics that can be linked to the photo above

That is an awesome picture!

2. By Dynosoar on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

The older I get, the more the phrase “Chase Your Dreams” means to me.

The nice thing, some of my dreams are only now becomming possible, old age is good. If we always chase our dreams and work our best to achieve them, modifying them when necessary and creating new ones when we’ve captured one or more, we’ll be content in old(er) age and have a lot more glory when speaking of our glory days.

This was a dream for Williams, Arians is now chasing his dream and he’s older than I am (apparently he’s sexier too.) Chase your dreams, whatever they are. Chase them and realize them. I hope Fitzgerald’s dream of a SB ring is not only chased this year, but captured.

One of my current dreams, NY next Feb. Go Cards!

3. By LadyBird04 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Let’s hope his “waiting” is rewarded this year and he can develop into the rb we all hoped he would be. He has had two horrible injuries to start his career and would love to see him run all over the opposing teams this year.

4. By Ditship on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

I remember watching him walk up and hug Goodell.. I think he was one of the only ones that did. I hope this kid brings it this year. I don’t question his drive to be the best, I just wonder if his body will let him.

5. By david on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Hes a bust im my book.

6. By Dynosoar on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals will play in NY
    This glorious dream will not die
    In Twenty-Fourteen
    Other teams will be green
    When AZ holds their rings to the sky

7. By andystandsup on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Matt Leinart’s slide to 10 in 2006 was entertainment at it’s best, but the pictures of Brady Quinn, sitting alone in the green room for several hours the following draft was almost excruciating.
    In the end, though, both drop-offs were warranted, and probably not as precipitous as they should have been.

8. By Credit Card on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Imagine a healthy Ryan Williams with a decent OLine. Toss in a respectible QB in Palmer, a non-predicatable game plan — wow Williams could be seen in Honolulu next year.

9. By satirical jerk on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

With the audience wanting more. Fans cheering “encore encore!” He will rise up the Red Sea. As if he were Moses but with poetry. And no sky shall be the limit on the day the ‘dyno soars’.

10. By Ricky on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know much about the inside of the cardinals but will the cardinals consider a mlb to occupancy washington? alec ogletree manti te’o? with lenon leaving the middle it would be great trading down and getting one of them.

11. By Chuck 1 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

This is ominous if the analysis is accurate.

12. By Eazy E on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

I love the dude and his potential but he has been injury-prone unfortunately like in college.#Stay healthy Lil Sweetness

13. By ored on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

on any given sunday-gotta love that.

14. By philly cards on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

So he only played 1.5 yrs of college he’s sensitive. And they pick him 38? And you wonder why he’s been out 2 yrs. This happens on madden for goodness sake. Hell waste our time this yr. Get used to william powell 4 or 5 games

15. By Dynosoar on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

satirical jerk, (Do you normaly go by a different moniker?)

I’m certainly no Moses (but how cool would it be to perform miracles like saving an entire people from an oppressive Pharoh).

That was great and

I caught the double entendre of the Red Sea.
    That was much wittier than me.
    Now if BA’s Bad ***
    Could rise like a Phoenix from last years ashes
    Then our dream of an SB win in NY we shall certainly see.

16. By Dynosoar on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Josh,

great piece on Jasper Brinkley. If I understood it correctly, he was a changed man after a severe injury. He’s a better player because of missing a season. If only everyone came back after adversity stronger like Jasper, what a world would it be.

I’m going to follow his example and do something more than expected today. Wow, I’m liking this team more and more. I hope my dreams aren’t my eternally optimistic pie in the sky, but I just have a hard time believing anything else after this off-seasons changes.

While I was a supporter of the last coaching staff and felt what they were doing would eventually work, this new staff has me flying high and believing it’s going to happen now instead of down the road.

Thank you Mr. Bidwill, Arians and Keim.

17. By Dynosoar on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

the “Tags” window on the right of my screen has some players names that haven’t been here in a long time (Although I would make a serious case to keep Warner, Wilson, Boldin, Rhodes and a few others), I wonder if some of these former players could be replaced. Maybe after our season’s roster is set, maybe now, just thoughts. Do I spend too much time on this site or what?

Go Cards!

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Tags

If you eliminate them from the cloud, you eliminate them as tags altogether and sometimes, I want to reference back.

19. By Dynosoar on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Interesting. As to referencing, I like them to double check my spellings from time to time.

20. By philly cards on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Same moniker.You can label anything satire but you can’t dispute the facts.

there have been more than a few swing and miss moves since the sb. Unfortunately near the top of the list keeping larry fitz (pre palmer) who needs a strong acurate arm. Boldin ran short routes made lessor qbs like josh mccown look good.an to further validate that.

If kurt had larry and not anquan there would have been disaster even in 2008 because of warners lack of thp aka arm power.

Running backs to fail this often its a problem that starts at the top. Ryan williams has no pedigree with 18 months of football. That’s not satire. Its comedy.