Palmer was anxious to work with Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on April 12, 2013 – 9:21 am

Right before Carson Palmer arrived in a recent trade, there were a few stories speculating that Palmer might not want to come to the Cardinals — the team that was the main one linked to Palmer as a destination — because he might want to be a backup for a contender and try and get to a sure winner after all his years in Cincinnati and Oakland. Palmer wasn’t talking before the trade, and after the trade, he proclaimed how much he was excited to be in Arizona.

General Manager Steve Keim got a sense of that immediately, even before the trade was consummated.

Keim relayed this anecdote on the Big Red Rage Thursday night, after he noted that Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie had given the Cards permission to talk to Palmer prior to a trade. The Cardinals flew Palmer in and took him out to dinner, with the next day about taking a physical and some conversation at the team facility.

“Carson calls me at 6:15 in the morning, begging me to pick him up so he can watch tape,” Keim said. “For a 33-year-old quarterback, 10 years in the league, I love that passion.”

A few hours later, Palmer was a Cardinal in a move that — in hindsight — felt inevitable.

Keim watched the last three years of Palmer’s passes in scouting him before the trade. The Raiders were ready to dump Palmer for a song, yet Keim found himself midway through the process, “about 70 throws into it from (the) 2012 (season) and I was shaking my head trying to figure out, ‘What’s wrong with this guy?’ “

Obviously the Cardinals don’t see any issues.

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “Palmer was anxious to work with Cards”

1. By Chris Robot on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,

For anyone who wants to review some of 2012 Carson:

Happened to stumble across that in the internet. You can see there are a couple mind numbing interceptions but he didn’t have a lot of help from his WRs and he loves his TE.

2. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Good post on C.Palmer, good one by Josh on Jasper on main page. Hungry vets with new “brain trust”. Keim/Arians have a plan. Good dynamics. Am believing BadAss, reloading, not rebuilding. These guys just might be competitive from the get go. Looking forward to the draft. Good stuff.

3. By EDijkstra on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I guess you mean that Keim didn’t see anything wrong, rather than that he did. It’s not very clear, though.

4. By D on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

My what if draft…

What if KC, Philly and Detroit take the 3 OT in the first 5 picks.
    Cards can’t trade down because no one excites teams behind them.
    #7 pick is really high for a G.
    So, like Keim likes to do, take an impact player at 7

1–Z. Ansah OLB/DE. Kid is raw but could dominate with some coaching
    2— M. Watson OT Can play Right tackle which then lets AZ moves Massie to RG
    3— DJ Swaringer FS.
    4— C. Michael RB. Perfect running abilities for a zone scheme.
    5— B. Cave Center.
    6— J. Johnson CB

5. By jeffy1951 on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

@ Chris Robot – Thank you for that link, for anyone wanting to see our “new” QB in action, there’s plenty there !!

6. By walnutbackpack on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Seems as if the new Cardinals management views football as a skills competition. They are excited about Palmer based on his “ability to make throws.” What seems irrelevant to them is the fact that he doesn’t win games.

7. By Sheetz on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

IN-EBB-ITABLE!!

8. By Dynosoar on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I first read “What’s wrong with this guy” as “How could he be making these kinds of mistakes?”, then I caught it another way as in “I can’t find anything rong with this guy.”

I love that Palmer WANTS to be a Cardinals player. I feel all players should play on a team they want to be on.

I’ve always wondered, what team did players follow as children? Could someone ask the players on the team what team(s) were they’re favorites as a child? I think it’d be interesting. Obviously Fitzgerald was a Vikings fan, but what about others?

9. By Safety Guy on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Chris

Dude! That link is awesome!

Thanks

10. By Safety Guy on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

From earlier reports on Carson, people made him sound like he was taking snaps from center with a walker. Not to bad for an old guy!

11. By AzDesertRat1953 on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Well that link by Robot is eye-opening.

Now I see why the Raiders lost so much, and Palmer put up such big numbers.

One thing is for sure, Palmer can get the ball to the receiver but then it is out of his hands what happens after that.

I agree with General Manager Steve Keim “What’s wrong with this guy?“
    Only I would add ‘Is the Raiders Front Office Nuts?’

Then I would say ‘Thank You!’

GO CARDS!!!

12. By cards4sb on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

There is a reason Chad Johnson was always thinking of new ways to bore us with new TD celebrations. Palmer got him the ball. Johnson is no Fitzgerald. We all know that for some reason or another teams move on from there star players ie Wilson. The Bengals wanted to go younger with Dalton and the team that went to the playoffs was dissipating. Palmer has more talent around him in AZ then I believe he ever did in Cincy. 4,108 yds and 22 tds on a bad team in Oakland cannot be ignored. Imagine if any of our so called qbs had them numbers last yr. Hmmmmm???

13. By david on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Eric fisher over luke jockel imo for 1st overall.

14. By Aaron Cox on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Chris,

Thanks for the link. I can never get enough of watching a new addition to the Cardinals. Also, I think one can make an argument after watching those videos, that Oakland’s line might be worse than the Cardinals’. My god, they’re bad.

15. By andystandsup on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

No one can argue about the price in obtaining Palmer. Came cheaper than a bad DRC haircut. (Well, I hope that “rooster” shave was free.)
    Despite the excitement, remember Palmer is more than likely just a stop-gap, ’til a rookie is drafted, just probably not this year.

16. By sforsling on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Will everyone please settle down on the Anzah at #7 crap? He will not be an impact player for a very long time (if ever). BA does not have the time to spend working on a “project” he needs to succeed quickly and therefore we need a polished player that has more than a few years of organized football!! We need to get our OL up to an acceptable level before we do anything else!

17. By Annette Richters on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

I am just a little disappointed with some of what I am reading here. I’ll bullet point a few pertinent factoids to see if anyone, even Darren who I don’t think reads these after two days, doesn’t mention.
    1. Kurt Warneer wanted to come here.
    2. Kurt had to work on his footwork and ball handling skills and the gloves worked for him.
    3. We went to a Super Bowl with Anquan and Fitz and Breaston WRs. No real running back, just a threat.
    4. Carson Palmer wants to come here.
    5. He has better skills than Kurt started with at this point.
    6. He scrambles much better than Kurt.
    7. He gets rid of the ball as fast as Kurt when his reciving corp is open. (ie. “he likes tight ends”)
    8. We have just as good a set of WRs now as we did then if BA will simply use Fitz, Flloyd, and LARON BYRD, CAN ANYONE SAY LITTLE FITZ????????. Sorry Larry, but the kid is good and is your mirror image. WAKE UP BA.
    We will feild better running backs than we had on our Super Bowl Team.
    We will be using our Tight Ends as recievers more with BA “PATROIT OFFENSE ANYONE, HOW BOUT ATLANTA???? YEH, OUR KID CAN BE AS GOOD.
    9. Ray Horton knows BA well. He said on 620 radio, and I heard him myself, that BA will not change the defense much, but will build on what Ray started. He also said BA should blow out some teams this year 30>10. Yes, Ray Horton said that from Cleveland on 620 Radio.
    10. We will field a faster defense this year according to what I see in FA so far, and a “meaner” line.
    11. If we had gained 4,000 yards in offense from passing last year we would have been in the playoffs.
    12. BA LIKES TO GO DOWN FIELD. I REMEMBER “AIR CORYEL” AND JIM HARTS ACCURATE DEEP BALLS. CARSON PALMER IS BETTER THAN HART WAS. OUR RECIEVING CORP IS BETTER IF THEY USE BYRD. OUR RUNNING GAME IS GOING TO BE A REAL FORCE IF BA USS THE SHERMANATOR AS THE 3RD DOWN RB on 3rd & 3 to go. FIRST DOWN.

It isn’t all about Palmer. It is what Palmer gives to our Running Backs, Wide Recievers, Tight Ends, and most of all defense because we will be using more of the clock for offense and our defense will be more rested, fresher, dominating, bullies, smash mouth players.

Now, There’s your Bakers Dozen. Make any sense Darren?????????

18. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

OK…. Um, is it really a surprise that Palmer is talking about his excitement about playing for the Cardinals AFTER he signed with the Cardinals??? I don’t think I’d be expecting him to say much else. I’m sure he was excited about being traded to the Raiders. too, at one point…

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Annette —

RE: Many points

Sure.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Palmer

You missed the point. That anecdote came from before the trade officially went down.

21. By red see rider on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Robot,
    thanks for the link.

WOW. I had no idea the raiders WRs were THIS pathetic. Mr. Palmer, ur in for quite a change in wr quality.

22. By cards4sb on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Annette-

You really haven’t said anything we are all not aware of and have not mentioned in other posts. I mean no offense AT ALL i’m just saying I am pretty sure we all agree with you. BA has not had a chance to use Fitz yet and Byrd is just an opinion. What about Roberts? I like Byrd but he is unproven. You are intelligent in your facts. Lets get ready for a possible playoff run in the fall!!

23. By Scott H on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Ok. My bad, if I missed it. Not the first time for that….

24. By ored on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

annette-agree,and this draft should only make us better,now the key is playing together and staying healthy.

25. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Annette –

I gotta say, I disagree with you all over the place.

#’s 5-7….Gotta disagree because Kurt Warner is a historically great QB, period. Carson Palmer is not. Warner was SOOOO good at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball with such deadly accuracy, he never needed to scramble. Regardless of where Warner was when he started his carrer here, we knew how great he had been, therefore, there was always the possibility he would be that great again. Carson Palmer NEVER showed that level of greatness, not even on his best day.

#8…if you really believe that, I don’t know what to say. We have missed Anquan Boldin since the day he left and we still do. We have NO ONE at WR who does what he did, who had his physical toughness, or emotional leadership. Did you watch the Ravens during their play-off run? Boldin was probably their BEST and most consistently clutch player during that time. Honestly, WHO on THIS team do you see providing that perfect complement to Fitzgerald while being a top-notch WR in his own right??? Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston were one of those RARE trio of WR’s who reached 1,000 EACH in the same season. We have nothing close to that right now. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT???

#3…I think what Edge and Tim Hightower did was much more substantial than what showed in the stats. ESPECIALLY DURING THE PLAYOFFS IN 2008.

#11…Really? Well, here’s a simple question to counter that – if 4,000 yards of offense from a QB would have gotten us into the playoffs, then why did that same 4,000 yards get the Raiders to 4-12 and nowhere near the playoffs? Got news for ya – Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning may have both thrown for 4,000 yards last year, but…did it look the same to you?

26. By Dugovic on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Palmer and Arians going to make Arizona desirable place now on.