The draft is less than two weeks away. Make no mistake: The biggest factor in what the Cardinals pick with the seventh choice overall has to do with how the first six picks play out. GM Steve Keim and the whole crew — who are in the process of breaking down all the players right now and soon will begin to build the top 120 board — will finish up their meetings with a series of mock drafts as they try to guesstimate different possible scenarios and how the Cardinals would react in each of them.
– Keim mentioned on the Big Red Rage Thursday night that one player he thought is poised to break out is second-year offensive lineman Bobby Massie. Keim didn’t say Massie would definitely break out at tackle — as opposed to guard, for instance — but you usually don’t have a breakout candidate moving. So does Massie stay at right tackle? If the Cards draft an offensive tackle, maybe Levi Brown moves? (Although that too has drawn a pump-the-brakes response.)
– Head Coach Bruce Arians has said none of the QBs coming out made him go “Wow” like last year’s class. It seems like the idea of the QB getting drafted first is a ship that’s long sailed but now that Carson Palmer is here, maybe the chance of drafting one period has shrunk too. I still think that will have to do with whether Keim and crew really like anyone in that group after the first round is over.
– Working on a story about pass-rush coach Tom Pratt and Arians said the pass rush group would be solidified with one good young pass rusher. Again, it’s not rocket science, but with offensive tackle, pass rusher would be the other top priority I’d think.
There will be more talk about what might and might not happen over the next 10 days I’m sure.
– Congrats to the 2013 version of the Cardinals Cheerleaders. The squad was officially announced Friday.
– Getting some questions about the draft party a week from Thursday for the first round. All the information is right here.
– Don’t forget about the chance to contribute to the Pat Tillman Foundation with a pre-Pat’s Run Tweetup with Sports Illustrated’s Peter King along with a host of Cardinals personnel like Keim, Arians and Patrick Peterson among others. All the details are here.
Posted in Blog | 46 Comments »