Centers to announce pick in New York

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2013 – 12:26 pm

A couple of years ago, the NFL began a program in which alumni of teams would come on stage in New York during the draft to announce that team’s second-round draft pick. It made sense. Commissioner Roger Goodell handled the first round and, in this world where the NFL draft continues to grow in stature every year it seems (and as a TV event), why not have some famous retired faces up on the screen as a nod to years past? (If a team doesn’t have a second-round pick, the player announces the third rounder.)

This year, the Cardinals will be represented by fullback Larry Centers, the do-everything-man from the 1990s who was one of the faces of the Cardinals’ historic 1998 playoff run. (He was also the face of the change that team underwent the following offseason, when he was cut much to the chagrin of the fan base, but that’s a tale for another day.) Centers was the offense much of the time, growing from his rookie year in 1990 to grabbing 101 receptions in 1995 and another 99 in 1996 and getting in some rushing attempts along the way (he was never a rushing workhorse but he did have 115 carries one season, a far cry with how fullbacks are used these days.) He was a three-time Pro Bowler, twice doing it in Arizona.

After he was released, he played in Buffalo, Washington and New England, but it’s hard to see him as anything but a Cardinal. The news today reminds me of one of my all-time favorite anecdotes told to me by Kent Somers (I promise, Kent, I was thinking of this before today’s tweet) from the time before I was covering the team. Kent was talking to Centers one day when the all-around star offered up his own catchy slogan: “Larry runs, Larry catches, Larry blocks, Larry Centers.”

CentersUSEBLOG

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Centers to announce pick in New York”

1. By Dean Kennedy on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

“Lar-ry, Lar-ry, Lar-ry”…. chanted the crowd of 25k-35K faithful during the dog days of dogbreath football at SDS. I remember it well.

2. By D on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

I will alwasy remember Larry jumping over that Cowboy on the Christmas game in front of me in SunDevil…glad he got a ring in NE, maybe Adub is next…

3. By CardKid on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Look at these throwbacks! Darren, do you think we will ever wear these again???

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

CardKid —

RE: Throwbacks

They weren’t throwbacks at the time …

5. By AZcard_in_Boise on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

yeah! they should paint the end zones with the AZ flag and the cardinal in the middle like they used to do back at Sun Devil Stadium!! and wear the retro uniforms!! make it happen Daren!

6. By cards4sb on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Larry Centers and Aneas Williams were very huge bright spots on a not so great decade of football. I am proud to say that they were Cardinals!!! I very much enjoyed watching both play. One word…AMAZING!!

7. By Chuck 1 on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Dyno & Mike,

I’ll take my tongue out of my cheek now and repeat what I wrote on a different thread a couple of weeks ago.
    As one who wrote (incorrectly)before last season that the Cards would finish 6-10, I went on record recently that the Cards would finish NO WORSE than 8-8.
    I have my fingers crossed. :)

8. By kauaicardsfan on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I think Larry deserves to be in the ring of Honor for the Cardinals, He gave his all while he was a cardinal. You could always see it in his performance!
    Who chooses to be in the ring? Would it be the Bidwells? Also how and when do these players get selected to be inducted? Is there a process?
    Mahalo!

9. By andystandsup on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Centers second favorite Card behind Boldin.
    Too bad he played on so many bad teams and the majority in the Phoenix market, which somehow most sports reporters think is located near Timbuktu.

10. By jeffy1951 on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Larry delivered !!

11. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

DARREN,,

Throwbacks i remember the cards vs cowboys 98 @ SDS the endzone painted the arizona logo with the bird replacing the star you think we will ever see that type of paintwork on a field? you think maybe you could post a picture of it ? also the early 2000’s red on red and (ghost) white on white BEST IN THE WORLD..

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: ROH

Yes, it is the Bidwill family.

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Mike —

RE: logo on field

I have to see if I can find one.

14. By Nor cal cards fan on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Urb- Do u think Larry being selected by the organization to announce the draft pick could possibly be a prelude to him being inducted into the Ring of Honor this upcoming season..? I think he is deserving of that induction, would you agree?

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Nor Cal —

RE: Centers ROH

I don’t think one has to do with the other.

As for whether he is deserving, you can make a case.

16. By AZcard_in_Boise on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Can anyone find photos of Sun Devil Stadium when they painted the end zones with the Arizona flag and the cardinal in the middle? been searching but nothing. I think that would be awesome to see at Uof P stadium!!

17. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

I know a little something about Larry. He seems like he was Leonard Weaver back then. Look him up if you don’t know who I’m talking about.

18. By Tucson Card on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Urb,

What would you do if Centers accidently drafted you? I would start chanting ‘UR-BAN, UR-BAN’ at random intervals throughout the UoP draft party. haha jk

I’m excited for the draft though.

19. By ored on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

i agree,those uni’s are the bomb,timeless.also excited for the draft.

20. By JPearl on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

So funny to see people comment how they like the old jerseys. When they had them everyone hated them (arguably worst in the NFL). I didn’t mind the old jerseys but it was definitely time for something new when they dropped them for the current jersey. It’s probably a rule that their away jersey has to be white but I’d love to see them drop it. Their white/white combo is by far the worst out of their uni collection.

1998 Field – I am pleasantly surprised that people remember that field. From my recollection that is the only time they have ever did that at SDS. Would be pretty cool if they did that at UofP with the new logo in the middle.

@ Darren – Since they have had Williams and Centers (soon to be) announce the pick in the draft. Is Jake the Snake next to so they can round out the contributors of the 1998 WC team?