Cribbs still in play

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2013 – 9:17 am

Many have asked what is happening, if anything, on the Josh Cribbs front. Alex Marvez reported this morning that Cribbs is still on target to take another physical for the Cardinals “in a few weeks” and if Cribbs passes the physical, the Cards still plan to sign him. Cribbs is recovering from a torn meniscus.

It would be interesting to see if the Cards picked up anyone on draft weekend — with a pick or as an undrafted guy — who could fill a similar role as Cribbs. It’s clear at this point LaRod Stephens-Howling, who remains unsigned, isn’t part of the Cards’ plans going forward. (Could that change if Cribbs, for instance, fails his physical? Maybe. Also a maybe if the Cards don’t address running back on draft weekend. But right now, I don’t expect to see the Hyphen here.)

Bruce Arians talked a month ago about how Cribbs could fit with the Cardinals. First he has to prove himself healthy enough, however.

CribbsplayUSE

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Cribbs still in play”

1. By Dynosoar on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,

In my first comment about being 12-4, I do believe it’s possible. Very hard for any team to do this, but I believe with this coaching staff and the team we have now, before the draft that this is possible. 10-6 is more probable, but 12-4 is possible.

My second comment was in response to Chuck 1. His reply to me still has me laughing.

As to Josh Cribbs, I honestly don’t know if I want to see him on our team, but imagine a healthy Cribbs lined up in the backfield with Peterson. That would be interesting to see opponents game planning (aim for the sidelines, you we worked on this all week, aim for the sidelines, now they’ve got 7 more points.)

If he’s healthy. We already have weapons, but one more never hurts.

2. By joe 67 on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

How did Hyphen end up on the outside looking in. I always thought he was a pretty good back for his size. I still think he could help, depending on who we may still get.

3. By Dynosoar on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Joe 67,

I’ve been wondering this myself.

If we had an O-Line that could give him a hole so he gets into open space, he’s a nightmare for the other team. Just need to give him that hole. (I recall Mendenhall being a nigtmare in open space as well.)

All too often last year he was being used as a power back, either by design or the failure of an injury decimated O-Line, to crash into the defense and create his own hole to run through.

With an improved O-Line, I feel The Hyphen would be a perfect fit. A fan favorite with zero off-field issues. Well, we lost a lot of fan favorites this offseason, hopefully we get many more in return.

4. By Nick Pepe on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

I know it is a long shot, but I am wishing that both the Hyphen and Nick Eason are still on the roster come September.

It was beautiful day for golf here in Delaware. Avoided 3 putting and the dreaded double bogey all day!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

5. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

@Dynosoar,

I enjoyed Chuck 1’s comment as well, which made me wonder if your prediction/comment was as tongue-in-cheek as his.

12-4 possible, 10-6 more probable…All I can say is I hope you’re right. With all our coaching changes, new QB (albeit a legit one, for once), and the division we’re in I’d be impressed with 8-8.

6. By P-rock on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

I AGREE!! THE HYPHEN DID MORE THAN ANY OF OUR BACKS WITHOUT A PASSING THREAT. AGAINST THE VIKINGS, HE HAD 100 YARDS. CATCHING, RUNNING, SPECIAL TEAMS, AND EVEN A GOOD BLOCK NOW AND THEN, HE DESERVES TO BE IN AZ!!!!

7. By Joe Luchenta on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Count me in as a fan of the hyphen. He got more out of each touch than I saw any other offensive guys do last season. It puzzles me why he is on outside looking in. Arrians have a beef with him?

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Joe —

RE: LSH

Arians doesn’t know him.

9. By joe holst on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Hi darren,

As of now the Cards have 4 pass catchers, Fitz, Floyd, Roberts and Housler. 1 are over 30,Fitz and 1 is injury prone9Housler). .With the Cards and Arians wanting 2 -tight end set, And his ties to tom moore, how would Dallas Clake fit ? do you think there is a mutual interest.. Would be a great outlet for Carson palmer.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Dallas Clark

I would think Clark is a little old to bring in at this point. Especially with Housler set to be the receiving tight end.

11. By clssylssy on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

It appears most fans don’t understand the reluctance of Keim to bring back LSH while instead pursuing a less productive player with health issues in Cribbs. When you refer to Housler as “the” tight end it sounds as if that it going to be a position short in depth which makes me nervous. As pointed out a good TE could be VERY important to Carson Palmer and our passing game and even more so if we don’t have a run game. Or, perhaps the BPA at #7 will be a TE like Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert in which case, would that be an option that is being considered. Do you think BA/Keim are looking at any of the “Wow”-like players or will the draft mirror the FA shopping?

12. By Bryan on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Everyone is talking about Larod, what about William Powell???! He is better than anyone on the roster with the exception of Mendenhall. And still he could give him a run

13. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

don’t even bother with this scrub and i’m from the 216 no love for a injury prone special teams player who cried about a contract and then got one but took a vacation for the last 4 years NEXT….

14. By eric on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

cribbs would be a solid addition.

15. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

I still don’t understand why Larod isn’t signed by us? He’s an explosive player as a RB and Return Man and I hate to say it but both of our top 2 backs are considered to be injury-prone.