Tillman weekend arrives again

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2013 – 5:11 pm

I’ve written the story before (and my vivid memories of hearing about Pat Tillman’s death, right before the draft in 2004, are chronicled right here). But with the annual Pat’s Run coming up again Saturday, it’s automatic for me to think once again of covering Tillman for the couple of seasons that I did and then his famous story of leaving the NFL for what he saw as a more important calling.

The events in Boston this week, regardless of what (adjective deleted) person did it, again seem to shine a spotlight on what Tillman and (hopefully) all of us believe — which is that we are lucky to live where we live and that as a country we band together in moments like this. I know the organizers of Pat’s Run are taking extra precautions given what happened in Boston’s race, but really, I haven’t thought twice about whether I will still run or not. Of course I will.

I’ve heard from some of late who want to point out that Tillman wasn’t the only soldier to lose his life sacrificing for this country. They are frustrated he is the one always talked about. There is no question there are many others who lost their lives doing the same. But this race is done for the Tillman Foundation, and Pat and his legacy are the reason it exists. It doesn’t take away from any other soldier that this race takes place or garners publicity. The money raised helps veterans. That’s a good cause.

(Speaking of good causes, if you want to take part in the Tillman Tweetup Friday night to raise money for a Tillman Foundation scholarship, tickets are still available for the chance to meet Bruce Arians, Steve Keim and players like Patrick Peterson and Sam Acho. Click here for all the details. I’ll be there too.)

In a week where the real world has invaded sports, it’s a fitting time to remember one of the best examples of the two worlds coming together.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Tillman weekend arrives again”

1. By andystandsup on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

As I’ve stated before – a very sobering Friday morning that I’ll always remember.
    And not just for the news itself, but of the reactions of co-workers that were/are Cardinals fans.

2. By fightingbird on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

I miss watching #40 putting crazy hits on people but I also miss the Ranger from the 2/75th. Rangers lead the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By Andy Kw on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Our team has a lot to cheer for. Pat Tillman will always be remembered as an Arizona Cardinal.
    -This NFL season will be dedicated to our beloved Pat Tillman. We will make it to the playoffs for all the Cardinal’s fans out there and for you too.
    -This is what this team should do to solidify our offensive line. Our current starting offensive line is: Brown, Colledge, Sendlein, Snyder, Massie. This is what this team should do to make our offensive line younger and more improved after the drafting of OT Lane Johnson: Brown, Colledge, Sendlein, Massie, Johnson. The run game collapsed after this team cut OG Rex Hadnot and lost OT Levi Brown to injury. With Levi Brown returning, I expect Fitzgerald’s production to rise. Like what almost all NFL analysts said, OT Lane Johnson is one of the most or is the most athletic Offensive Tackle in the draft.
    -Or this is what should happen, this team drafts the best Offensive Linemen and Guard in the draft Chance Warmack and finally have a true Guard for once. That way our offensive line could look like this: L.Brown, C.Rachal, L.Sendlein, C.Warmack, B.Massie. Our offensive line will be much younger and will be better.
    -This team knew that OT D’Anthony Batiste was the key issue to the offensive line, not that he is gone our team is already on the back toward the right track. Bobby Massie was projected to be a second round pick and we magically ended up getting him. Rachal was a 2nd round pick of the 49ers and Levi Brown was a 1st round pick.

4. By Dynosoar on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

I know this is a Tillman post, I’ll get to that in a moment.

In the article about Stump Mitchel, John wrote the following.

“Lyvonia Mitchell was back in the South for just a day, returning to his roots where an undersized, stocky boy who played football with his older brothers earned a lifelong nickname.”

I believe there must be a story here beyond just these words.

I have 32 written in pen on the lower back of my Cardinals helmet from when I was a kid (yeah, I still have it) because I loved watching Otis Anderson. In my teenage years I watched Stump and my only wish as a child would’ve been to see them both in the backfiedl in tandem.

5. By D on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

After Boston, I bet the attendance on Sat will be so large that it will be overwhelming. (both emotionally and traffic/parking)

We are a great country regardless of what is reported. No crazy would dare to do anything stupid at this race with the amount of current and former military whom will be in attendance.

6. By Dynosoar on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Last October 3, I wrote the story of why I was a Cardinals fan and there were twenty and two responses. When I remember those posts, one stands out first and foremost, sometimes even before my own and that’s Sapper’s story and the best tribute I can pass along for Pat Tillman. Tillman’s example changed at least one life (perspective) and I suspect many, many more.

Sapper, here’s to you and here’s to Tillman. I trust you’ll approve.

By Sapper on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply
    Dino:

In 2004, I was narrowly missed by a snipers bullet in a guard tower in Iraq. While reeling from the reality of what had just happened, I began to get angry. I’m not sure why pro athletes were on the receiving end of my tirade, but they were. I commented on how they made millions (and even complained about that) and I was away from my family for a whole year, struggling to make $30,000, and dealing with situations like the one I had just experienced. The guy in the tower with me empathized, but proceeded to tell me about an NFL player who had recently given all that up to come do what we were doing. “Well, I respect and admire that guy, whoever he is” I remember saying. That guy died less than a month later. I know Pat Tillman needs no introduction, but his sacrifice introduced me to the AZ Cardinals and out of honor, I bought his jersey and have been a fan ever since. Highs and lows – sure, but all told, I love being a Cards fan, and I’ll be one till I die.

7. By Dynosoar on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Here’s wishing for Mendenhall, Powell and Williams (alphabetical) to become a backfield force and regulars on highlite video all season long. That would allow for the Fitzgerald, Floyd Housler and Roberts show to enjoy the rest of the weekly video highlites.

Bring it on NFL, the Cardinals are getting ready for whatever you throw at us.

NY to host us next February.

Enjoy Pat’s Run my Phoenix friends. Wish I could be there with ya’ll.

8. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Not Lucky Darren, Blessed!

9. By ored on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

dyno; i also wish them well and the qb and the o-line,along with the rest of the team.it’s a team sport and every link needs to be strong.maybe this is the beginning of a much maligned offense being resurected,i hope so.

defense and offense stayed united in the locker room,just failed to bring it all together on the field,so now we turn the page and start anew.