Despite draft, it’s smoky in here

Posted by Darren Urban on April 18, 2013 – 3:07 pm

The Cardinals held their pre-draft press conference today. Safe to say the schedule release in a couple of hours will hold bigger news. That’s natural. There isn’t anything that is going to be said of major consequence ahead of time. That was crystallized when GM Steve Keim was asked how many offensive linemen he had graded as first-round picks.

Keim paused before finally answering.

“Well, I could tell you, but it probably wouldn’t be the truth,” Keim said, eliciting laughs. “So I’d prefer not to answer that one.”

There were no major tells in the 17 minutes Keim and Head Coach Bruce Arians spoke. They reiterated they didn’t want to be forcing any picks, especially in the first round. The Top 120 board isn’t quite finished but “the hay is almost in the barn,” Keim said. They don’t bother paying much attention to all the draft stuff floating out there because they know it doesn’t mean much. Smokescreens. “It’s fun to watch all the prognosticators change their mock drafts every two hours,” Arians said.

The larger scouting staff generated 3,100 scouting reports and the Cards’ coaching staff added another 287, Keim said. That’s a lot of paperwork to shift through. Keim said the draft is deep for safeties, cornerbacks, offensive linemen and pass rushers. That works well for a team that could use safeties, cornerbacks, offensive linemen and pass rushers like the Cardinals. Arians repeated his thoughts from last month that he thinks “four or five” of the quarterbacks, while they might not have the “Wow” factor, will have long careers of some sort in the NFL. Those guys are hurt because they are following the 2012 draft class of QBs, Arians said.

Mostly though, it’ll be a waiting game until next Thursday to see what the Cards are going to do. There weren’t any real hints today.

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Despite draft, it’s smoky in here”

1. By chuck on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

“We will not force anything”. I’m glad they aren’t going to force an o line man if better talent is there ex. dion ziggy . I mean massie was a 3rd round pick with almost no coaching and he turned out alright. If eric and luke are gone you might want to consider other options before forcing lane or chance.

2. By andystandsup on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Speaking of smokescreens, the Arians’ comment about possible Card interest in a QB is him smoking 20 cigarettes at once. No way they take a QB at 7 with Palmer, Stanton, Hoyer and to a much lesser degree, Lindley. (Though I fully expect either Stanton or Hoyer to be traded.)

3. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Thought’s on my sleeper 6th rd pick Collin klein I’m high on this dude maybe b/c he’s been training with jake the snake

4. By Jason on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Massie was a 4th round pick and played terribly for the first 8 games of the season. I don’t know why you think Lane Johnson would be a forced pick @7. He has been rated a top 10 pick by nearly everyone. The key would be what Keim & co have rated him vs those pass rushers…if they’re still available.

5. By mrpeary3189 on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

@andystandsup

Hoyer will likely be traded because the Cards would receive an additional 2nd Round pick for him.

6. By Chuck on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

@Jason. Well with Levi’s new elite status ” ba. And massive who is now also very talented I don’t see them picking lane. Sure he ran fast and did good at combine but Bruce even said himself in the new draft video he doesn’t care for combine speed. He cares about game speed with pads on. What I’m saying is dion Ziggy got loads of highlights and performed at the elite level in college. Lane did good to but he didn’t gain attention until after combine which contradicts what ba said he’s looking for at the press conference.

7. By Buddy Lembeck on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadsinski–

Collin Klein has slower throwing mechanics than Tebow did coming out of college. With this o line Klien would hardly get to attempt a pass in the NFL let alone complete one. Have you even seen this guy throw a football?

8. By Jason on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Chuck

I’m not saying I’m against Jordan or Ansah…I’m a fan of both, but they are combine guys as well. Neither guy had double digit sacks in college (Jordan had 5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles for his career and 0 ints; Ansah had 4.5 sacks 1 forced fumble and 0 ints) so to say they have “loads of highlights and performed at the elite level in college” isn’t exactly 100% correct. Levi Brown has only played a 8 game stretch of “elite” tackle at the end of the 2011 season and Massie played well down the stretch last year so I understand how you may feel that the need isn’t there, but if Massie or Brown can move to guard you’ve now improved your o line @ 2 spots much like Minnesota did last year. Our needs are OL, OLB, S…Lane Johnson, Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Dion Jordan & Ziggy Ansah are all widely considered top 10 prospects so its hard to say any of these players would be forced picks.

9. By Jason on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Jordan had 3 forced fumbles last year and 4 total for his career. His sack totals were 2 as a sophmore, 7.5 as a junior and 5 as a senior. People claim that his sack totals were low because he dropped in coverage so much, which may be true…but his interception (0) and passes defended (2) totals don’t increase to reflect that.

10. By Bob on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

We will all recall the Cards massive whiff on “sure thing” OTJonathan Ogden, who now resides comfortably in the HOF. Let’s not repeat history by passing on the next sure thing–Chance Warmack. The O-line desperately needs an anchor player who they can build around going forward and the current Cardinal OL includes no such player. The success of the Niners, Seahawks, etc. originates from their dedication to building their team from the inside out. If Joekel and Fisher are off the board Warmack is the best option. Virtually every draft analyst and coach describes Warmack as a 10-12 year NFL All Star. How many past Card draft choices came with that endorsement? BTW, Levi Brown being categorized as “elite” after being ranked as the worst RT in the league at the conclusion of the 2011 season is a real stretch but a good effort to perhaps restore Levi’s confidence. If not Warmack then Larry Worford in Round 2 is a must do.

11. By Jason on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Bob

I like Warmack but to be honest he isn’t even the consensus #1 player at his position. Throw in the fact that guards just aren’t valued as top 10 players and I don’t feel he is the best pick. I agree that calling Levi Brown elite is a stretch but those are BA’s words that’s why I put them in quotations.

12. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

Respect your thoughts about guards/value, etc., but basically Warmack is the consensus #1 at his position, at least amongst those willing to put their name to the rankings. Kiper and Walter Football (for what they’re worth) have Cooper ahead of him, but CBS sports, Mike Mayock, Scouts, Inc., Todd McShay, and Gil Brandt have him rated #1, with Mayock having him the #1 player overall, and McShay and Brandt both putting him in their top 3 overall.

@Bob,

Isn’t that the truth? I still remember the disbelief about skipping Ogden. I was just as irritated when we took McElroy in round two over Alstott. For whatever reason, this organization just doesn’t value the O-line very much, nor any kind of power running game, something I really hoped we’d have in place with the Pittsburgh West connection we’ve made a half-hearted attempt at establishing. All these recycled Guards on the interior have managed to prove their worth, time to try something new. After watching Dallas smash our teeth down our throat throughout the 90′s with their power run game, you’d think we might have thought to copy them, now we’re getting to watch the 49′ers do the exact same thing.

13. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@ buddy

Right that’s why we used a late pick on a guy from San Diego state right? DID you seen Ryan Lindley at all last year. DAMN

14. By Chuck 1 on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

If one of the three tackles are there at #7, TAKE HIM!!!

15. By Chuck 1 on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Trade Hoyer, take a QB in rounds two or three.

16. By Jason on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

@Mike

I stand corrected…what I meant was that he wasn’t the unanimous #1 guard.

17. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

Didn’t meant to get into semantics about it, just noting that he’s very high on some very qualified boards, especially for a guard. I can’t think of too many that were unanimous at their position, because it seems some will pick someone different just to present a different point-of-view.

To his credit, Cooper is pretty good in his own right but unless my eyes deceive me, Warmack looks the part of a once-in-a-decade type player at his position.

18. By Jason on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

@mike

From everything I’ve heard Warmack is supposed to be a guy you draft, plug and play and he’s going to be a pro bowl guard for the next 10-12 years. I’m not going to shed a tear if we draft Warmack. I’ve read too many reports that say teams are 50/50 between Cooper and Warmack so you’d have to say a twice in a decade in the same draft? He is rated as the 8th best prospect by scouts inc. and cbs sports one spot ahead of Cooper. I think he’s good, I think he’s safe I just don’t think he’s the franchise changer some people are making him out to be.

19. By Coach Kevin on Apr 21, 2013 | Reply

Trade Hoyer and take Bray with that extra second round pick, or take an extra lineman and draft Sean Renfree the QB from Duke in round 6 or 7. That kid is as good or better than most of the other QB’s in this class. And, he’s a local kid from Notre Dame Prep.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

I guess it’s all in who you ask. Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock rave about him so no offense to the Rob Rang’s of the world but it’s seems to be where the really qualified opinions are leaning. Regardless of that, it’s the eye test he passes so well for me. Nobody has stopped Bama’s running game, even teams who project a few defensive players pretty high (LSU & Georgia, in particular). It’s harder to get a read on guys like Cooper and Johnson with the defenses they played against. When you dominate SEC competition/defenses, it leaves a lot less to the imagination.

We’ll all know soon enough.

21. By Jason on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Daniel Jeremiah, Matt Smith, Charles Davis and Mel Kiper all have mock drafts where Cooper goes before Warmack. They’re like 1A and 1B…..point being Warmack has competition. Its not like hes head and shoulders better than the feild.