Thoughts on a schedule

Posted by Darren Urban on April 18, 2013 – 6:31 pm

So here are some quick thoughts on the Cardinals’ schedule, for what they are worth. No one knows exactly what will happen between now and when the games will be played and so much can change. Nevertheless, this is what we do, so we press on …

– What smacks me in the face first is the back-to-back games against the 49ers — in San Francisco — and the Seahawks just four days later for their NFL Network game. That’s in October (13 and 17). Those teams aren’t easy with which to deal, and to have them so close together is tough. I guess, with Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson with similar games (I know Wilson doesn’t run as much as Kaepernick), the defense will be in the right frame of mind. Todd Bowles, are you ready?

– Opening in St. Louis isn’t a bad place to start. The Cards have had a ton of success there, winning seven straight before last year. These aren’t the 2009 Rams, but they aren’t the Niners and Seahawks either.

– Offenses with which the Cards must deal without suspended linebacker Daryl Washington: Rams, Lions, Saints, Buccaneers. All in all, not the worst thing.

– A bye at exactly the midway point of the season.

– The Bruce Arians-faces-his-former-Colts-team game comes Nov. 24. Will be very interesting to see where the Cards are at that point — we will be long past the storybook of the Colts season last year — and, for that matter, where the Colts stand.

– I didn’t think weather would be a big deal, but it could be chilly in Philly (Dec. 1) and Tennessee (Dec. 15). And perhaps Seattle (Dec. 22) for that matter.

– It did catch my eye that the preseason Dallas game is at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. I prefer that rather than night preseason games.

– A trip to Raymond James Stadium Sept. 29. Let’s see, the last time the Cards were there

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Thoughts on a schedule”

1. By cardsalltheway on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Why do you prefer a Sat. afternoon game vs. night game vs. Dallas Cowboys?

Let’s just hope D. Wash will be available(additional positive test) after his 4 game suspension. If we could be sure that ain’t gonna happen then drafting a LB/DE in the first round would be an afterthought.

The Sun.(49ers) and Seahawks(Thurs.) week in Oct. isn’t so worrisome in that we know them well so less game planning no? And, Colin K. could get knocked out in a prior game with his running pistol offensive style and teams defending it better. If I were to return to the states, it would be in Dec. for the Rams or 49ers game.

2. By Nick Pepe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Love the schedule.
    Glad its finally out and it isn’t that “anti-Cardinal”. pretty fair. And love the fact they are coming back to Philly. Perhaps another beverage with an unnamed blog writer is in order. Wife would love that.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

3. By D on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Tough Schedule, but I figure this will be a two year project before we can compete for the division.

Thinking about the draft again, lets say all 3 left tackles are gone and Ziggy is gone by 7, I would somehow like to see the Cards pull off a move down if a Geno S or a DT is there for a team to grab. Cards could still get a decent pass rusher around 13-15 for them to add additional second round pick for them to have the option of taking a G, S, or QB in rounds 2 and 3. That would help this team out greatly and remember, there are some very good Left tackles coming out next year if they don’t get a future one now….

4. By georgiebird on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

The part of the schedule that gets my interest are games 7,8 & 9- these are three straight home games against powerhouse teams- Seahawks, Falcons and Texans.
    The above games are at the midpoint of the season and Arians’ imprint should be in full force by this time.
    If the Cards can be competitive in this run of home games, then maybe, the corner can be turned and progress can continue for the rest of the season.

5. By Kevin S on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Not counting on it, but it would be cool if those last two games vs. Seattle and SF meant something other than 2014 draft order.

6. By Dynosoar on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

johnybluenose,

Not that old, I know who Richard Greene is, just never watched him. Actually, I liked Basil Rathbone as a fencer, but of the two I’d take Erool Flynn, but that’s mostly because of the parts he played.

“You speak Treason!” “Fluently.” That’s the best Robin Hood line from any of them. Very James Bond, walk right up to the enemy and say I know who you are and you know who I am, so let the games begin.

And speaking of games, I’m thrilled the bye is in the center of the seeason. Now that we have the schedule, can’t wait for the season to begin. Think I’ll be wearing my jersey tomorrow.

I like opening in St. Louis, we’ll have solid evidence of whether our O-Line is improved. They tore us up last year. We’ll know right away how affective and effective l the offseason plan came together. Perfect first game.

First game in St. Louis and last in New York with a win in both.

7. By Andy Kw on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

I can’t wait to watch the preseason game against the Green Bay Packers: Lets see what Carson Palmer’s got left:
    Here is my prediction on the Regular Season Schedule:
    @St. Louis Rams 27-17 W
    Detroit Lions 37-24 W
    @New Orleans Saints 33-31 W
    @Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-13 W
    Carolina Panthers 26-20 W
    @San Francisco 49ers 17-30 L
    Seattle Seahawks 20-23 L (OT)
    Atlanta Falcons 28-17 W
    BYE
    Houston Texans 21-17 W
    @Jacksonville Jaguars 35-10 W
    Indianapolis Colts 23-21 W
    @Philadelphia Eagles 31-17 W
    St.Louis Rams 20-24 L
    @Tennessee Titans 24-10 W
    @Seattle Seahawks 15-28 L
    San Francisco 49ers 21-20 W

Offense Points Scored: 402Pt
    Offensive Points Allowed: 322Pts

Offense: 32TD Thrown, 16TD Rushed(Ranks 6th in the league)
    Defense: 19INT, 14FF, 45Scks. (Ranks 9th in the league)
    Pro Bowlers:
    QB Carson Palmer
    WR Larry Fitzgerald
    OT Lane Johnson (Hopefully he is drafted by the Cards)
    CB Patrick Peterson
    DE Calais Campbell
    LB Sam Acho

8. By clssylssy on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Perhaps it’s the disappointment of opening week on the road but this schedule does not seem especially “fan friendly” and doesn’t look like the “walk-in-the-park” you make it out to be. The Saints are going to be a contender this year with Coach Payton back and the WhoDats in a good place psychologically. Philly in the cold does not make for a good playing environment for desert rats, as mentioned by players on Twitter. The fact that we don’t even play but one game at home until October I hate. If we can at least win 5 we will be no worse off than we were…sort of…we will be ahead of the curve but in the same position draft wise as this year. I see us possibly with wins against the Jags, Titans (?) Panthers (?).. Bucs may be “iffier”, LLions(?). There are a lot of playoff teams and contenders on our schedule, Hags and 9ers will battle for the West but 9ers will win the SB. I know my views are not popular but this is a rebuilding year and to end with at least the same record as last year with this schedule I will consider successful…no ground lost and holding.

9. By Ed M on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Not sure how anyone can call this a “fair” schedule or how anyone could love it. As with almost every other year, the Cardinals open with 3 out of the first 4 games on the road. This puts them at a distinct disadvantage. Given that we no longer play outdoors there is no reason for us to be road dogs at the beginning of every season.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Ed M –

RE: Opening

Cards played 3 of 4 at home to start last season.

11. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Andy Kw,

I admire your enthusiasm, but hope you’re not a betting man. You’ve got us going 2-4 in division, but 12-4 overall? I haven’t checked, but would be surprised if that’s ever happened. By that reasoning, you must have Seattle and SF at even better records than that? Our division is strong, but that’s going a bit overboard (and again, I doubt mathematically possible).

@Darren,

That crap of putting two games only four days apart should be eliminated. My memory may be faulty on this, but wasn’t that scenario when we played the Rams last year? Which, coincidentally, was the start of our nine-game losing streak? Might not be a bad time to pull a Popovich and have our reserves take their best shot.

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Thursday night games

If there are going to be Thursday night games, every team is going to have to deal with it at least once.

13. By clssylssy on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

NOBODY likes Thursday night games, not the players, the coaches, or the fans, EXCEPT the NFL because it means $$$ ka-ching. It’s hard on the teams and for working people, it’s either racing around to get out of work and home (or the sportsbar), then for many, constant interruptions with helping kids with homework, etc. that puts a kabosh on the game experience. I remember there was talk of doing away with these games but the owners apparently couldn’t stand the thought of missing out on yet another opportunity to make money.
    To AndyKw: whatever you’re on, you need to share…rofl!…love your enthusiasm dude!

14. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Darren,

Granted, but it doesn’t make it any better of an idea. Especially when you get the short end of the stick the way we did. SF and Seattle, damn.

15. By D on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Is it just bad luck Darren of the schedule because these are determined years in advance. A 5-11 team gets the 7th most difficult schedule.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

D –

RE: Schedule

This is the way the schedule has been for more than a decade now.

17. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Andy Kw,

Apparently I owe you an apology, of sorts anyways. Going 2-4 in division isn’t quite the death blow I would have thought it to be. Got kind of bored checking, but going back to 2008, I was able to find a couple of teams that did and went 11-5 and 10-6 so your prediction, while still very unlikely, could lead to a division crown. I have to throw in a modified apology, however, as I don’t want to depress anyone with how most teams who had that division record turned out.

But again, I must reiterate I do like your enthusiasm and hope your feelings about the upcoming season turn out to be accurate.

18. By D on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW, put down the Deer Antler Spray!

19. By Dynosoar on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW and all,

here’s mine,

WINS

Indianapolis, Carolina, Atlanta, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tennessee, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Seattle

LOSSES

Houston, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, St. Louis

I see 4-2 in division and the St. Louis is my only home loss. Protect the Nest.

12-4 = first round playoff bye.

NY here we come.

20. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

No more excuses or reporting that any loosing in 2013 was caused by the bye week not being exactly in the middle of the season. :P

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

We lost to St. Louis twice in 2012 by a combined score of 20-50. And don’t the Rams have two first round picks (#16 and #22) in 2013? Who are you trying to fool?

22. By Rafael Lopez on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

The first thing that really stuck out was that 3 of the last 4 games are against division opponents. Those may end up being very important games in determining the NFC West champion. I think initially the schedule seems tough, but you just never know what can happen (i.e. Indianapolis Colts 2-14 in 2011 to 11-5 in 2012). I agree with you Darren about those December games and the weather (@ Philly, Tennessee and Seattle), could be cold and wet. Anyways, those are my thoughts on the schedule, can’t wait for the season!

23. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Dynosoar,

Not to beleaguer the point, as we’ve already discussed your prediction, but do you honestly see us sweeping a team that, last we saw them, beat us 58-0? Even when they field a mediocre team they’re very tough to beat on their home field, and by all accounts they’ll be anything but this year. Out of curiosity, do shed some light on what gives you that belief?

24. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@Ottis,

You make some good points about STL, and to their credit they went 4-1-1 in division last year but I’ve got to agree with Darren about them. If we would have had anything resembling an NFL offense last year those were winnable games. I don’t remember Bradford’s stat line, but it was pretty weak, especially for a game he “won.” It’s an offense that has lost Amendola and Jackson, and while they added Long, for whatever reason Fisher’s teams don’t have game-breakers at receiver, so I’d be surprised if they add one this year (in spite of their available draft choices). We’ll have Palmer and what should be an upgraded offense that makes those games realistic win possibilities.

But I’d feel a lot better about it if we weren’t missing DWash for the opener.

25. By drummer-1 on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@ Mike Ellingboe…. They beat us 58-0 last year, this is a totally new year.. Thats like saying team A won the superbowl last year, that means they’ll win it this year also..

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

@drummer-1,

Not exactly, but I see where you’re going with it, so let me clarify. It is a totally new year, but we’re walking into it with a brand new coaching staff, and many new players, both offensively and defensively. Point being, a lot of change. All Seattle did was fill weaknesses, and this leads us to believe we’re going to sweep them why? They proved, in no uncertain terms, by the end of last year how big the divide is between the two teams, I don’t think that can be undone in the amount of time we’ve had.

Going to your analogy, it takes a lot more to repeat as Super Bowl champs than it does for a playoff team to beat a 5-11 team they hammered the previous season. But I do get your point, and should have left that out of my question to Dynosoar. But the question remains the same, I’m just curious as to what he sees that leads him to believe they’re a team we’re capable of sweeping? Whatever it is, I’m open to learning more about it so I can justify jumping on the 12-4 bandwagon.

27. By Chuck 1 on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

D,
    Good call on competing for the Division next season.
    Fans who believe that the Cards can win their division in 2013 are smokin’ dope.

28. By Kevin S on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Nobody likes Thursday night games? I do… it’s nice to be able to watch a couple extra teams a week that I otherwise wouldn’t get to see. Yes, I’m sure it’s very tough on the players, but the games are clearly popular with the national fan base.

29. By Campbells on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

I like the schedule.
    Some of the toughest games are at home. Most of the “Away” games are winnable.
    Hope we sign some gems via the draft.
    Really looking forward to this season.

30. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

Frankly, I don’t see playing the 49ers and Seahawks 4 days apart as a problem. I see the fact that we have to play them at all – regardless of when, where, or how far apart – as the problem. There are two powerhouse teams and the Cardinals are just not going to be able to compete at that level. If you take offense to that, perhaps you should consider the combined scores of the 4 games we played against them last year. They were NOT close. Yeah, we won a squeaker against the Seahawks in Week 1 that could have gone either way. After that? Please….

The 49ers and Seahawks are teams ready to rock. The Cardinals look like a minor league team by comparison. As of the end of the 2012 season, the NFC West was being referred to as maybe the best division in football. Sorry to say, but I think that assessment was based on the fact that the 49ers and Seahawks appeared to be two of THE best teams in the league and that the Rams came a long way, especially on defense. The Cardinals were not really a part of the story, except for an occasional mention of their defense. OK. Well, last I saw, that same defense got PASTED by the other teams in the division last year. And Ray Horton is gone. So…

I see the Cardinals as a team with a big question mark at QB. They don’t know who their QB of the future is. Therefore, by definition, I see them as re-building. And I have no problem with that because I think that is realistic. Since I see them as re-building ( sorry, coach ), them I’m basically giving them a pass for 2013. This is not a playoff team. This is a team that needs to show significant improvement and show that they are clearly heading in the right direction. If I see that, I’ll be satisfied.

Perhaps they will find their QB of the future in the draft. Who Knows???

31. By Kevin S on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

I know you are sometimes accused of being perpetually negative. But we trotted out John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer as the starting QB for two-thirds of our games last year. You say we are a team with a big question mark at QB, but clearly we know who our QB for 2013 is, and it’s a former #1 OA pick with a 62.5% career completion percentage and a career 86.2 QBR who threw for over 4000 yards last year with receivers much less talented than ours. Last year we were 5-11 but we all know we would have likely beaten at least Atlanta and NYJ had Lindley not played the majority of those games as part of Whiz’s QB experimentation. I’m not saying 7-9 is good, and I’m not saying we should expect 12-4 or anything in 2013 (I see some of the optimists saying things like that already), but we are already much improved at QB even if we don’t have the QB of the long-term future. But for the Lindley experiment we would have finished with basically the same record as the Rams so if we’re going to say they’re in the mix now as part of the best division in football, then I don’t think we should be so easily dismissed considering that we have a legit QB (if not a top 5 one) to replace last year’s QB-by-committee of which none of the committee was very good.

32. By sbrown on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

sorry I’m a little late on my comments about 2013 schedule, but here it is… first I like our two home pre season games, good teams to have Cards play against to give BA and staff a good look at what they have. Now regular season, open at StL and Det good to get the season rolling, I think both are W’s. Then at NO which I like playing them early as they still get organized from last season / bounty gate which IMO ended KW’s career. First Fla trip to TB good match up. That week 6 at SF then home on Thursday night vs SEA is tough, but if you look Cards then get 10 days off ( mini bye week ) play ATL at home, regular bye week off then Houston at home. so from Oct 6 home vs Carol to Nov 17 at Jax , with short trip to SF the Cards will be “home” for over one month with the extra time off. That is a great schedule, in that the Cards will get some rest and get healthy for the push to the end of the season. We get the road travel in Dec with at Phily, Tenn, Sea , before finish with SF at home.