How the trade winds blow

Posted by Darren Urban on April 22, 2013 – 4:02 pm

There are plenty of realistic scenarios where none of the top three rated offensive tackles are left on the draft board by the time the Cardinals pick at No. 7. It’s been suggested by some that the Cards could think about trading up in that situation. I just don’t see it. I didn’t before, and I don’t now after GM Steve Keim said “I’m not in the business of giving away picks.”

Smartly, Keim isn’t going to rule anything out. But moving up from 7 is going to be too expensive, even if it was just a spot or two. And frankly, the Cards can’t afford to give up a second or a third right now when those guys have a chance to turn into starters on a team that needs to fill holes. (Mike Jurecki reported the Cards have discussed the possibility of trading for disgruntled franchised Chiefs tackle Branden Albert, but I don’t see that either. If the money he wants on a long-term deal is scaring the Dolphins away, I don’t see how it makes more sense here.)

So maybe the Cards don’t trade up, or trade for Albert. But that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t trade. One thing I can definitely see is Keim willing to trade down, especially in this draft. He may not want to give away picks, but stockpiling them I’m sure is of interest, especially for a draft guy like him. Of course, there has to be someone on the board at 7 someone feels the need to come up and get, which could be a long shot. And who, exactly are the Cards going to seek? Offensive line and pass rusher remain the most obvious choices, and there are a handful that have been discussed not only top 10 but into the 11-15 range that make sense.

I do see Keim being aggressive in such draft moves, willing to move up and back if necessary. That second round pick, in fact, could be interesting in that regard. In the first round, though, I’m thinking back and not forward — if the Cards move at all.

TradeBlogUSE

Tags: , , , ,

40 Responses to “How the trade winds blow”

1. By carlo milano on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    I m agree with u.i dont see cards trading for albert and overpaying him.if tackles gone keim likely trade down.
    Will u do a chat during the draft?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Draft chat

During? Not sure about that. I have a lot on my plate. Maybe Wednesday. I’m on Twitter @cardschatter.

3. By djjackson81 on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

I think if its tackles they target and all three are gone before 7 and If Dion or Ansah are both gone. Then I can see Keim doing the obvious field call to anyone wanting to swap there first and second for AZ 7th. I’m hoping that is no more then let’s say from 8-12 so we could still land the obvious next best choice for AZ in Warmack or Cooper.

4. By Jason on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Just watched Flight Plan and the Underground and liked everything I saw. I think Pasch said it perfectly that @7 with the depth of this draft we won’t have to reach. We’re going to get a player that will make us a better team whether we pick at 7 ot trade down. I also agree with Wolfley’s take that if we take a guard at 7 he HAS to be a hall of fame guard to justify it.

5. By joe holst on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

What about andre Smith? He is still out there for some reason and wouldn’t cause them to lose a draft pick..

6. By Dynosoar on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Trade up and get Leon Sandcastle. HaHa.

Looking forward to Thursday and beyond.

7. By Steve on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Does this apparent interest in Albert, in your opinion reveal the Cards lack of confidence in Levi to continue playing LT or is this just a matter of exploratory talks that all teams do from time to time?

8. By birdnerd58 on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

it would be great to pick up an extra 2nd to move down 3 to 5 slots, but I just don’t see it. I would say our best bet would be to get in a bidding war with the rams and viking over austin, but it is a little early for either of them to trade up. The natural number would be after pick 10. Unless someone falls in love with a particular player that we really don’t value as highly…Lotulelei/Floyd/Ansah, and take Cooper or Warmack or maybe MIngo/Fluker.

Ahh the speculation!!!

9. By Credit Card on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Prey on the Dolphins and Vikes. Neither of those two teams are smart. Trade our glorious 7th over-all pick for two lowly 1st round Vike picks, or a non-discript middle 1st rounder and a high second rounder from the Dolphins. Make the Dolphins and Vikes think they stole our 7th over-all pick.

The talent between the 1st over-all pick and the 64th overall pick is not huge — if at all; good coaching can make up any dinky difference in talent in this year’s draft.

10. By Andy Kw on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Lets switch to a 4-3 Defense please.
    Our Offensive Line will be addressed in the first 1st Round whether if it is an Offensive Tackle or an Offensive Guard:
    -1st Round: OG Jonathan Cooper
    -I feel he is better than OG Chance Warmack. We are more in need of a Guard than an Offensive Tackle
    -2nd Round: ILB Kevin Minter
    -We need a pass rusher and a good tackler. Kevin Minter possesses all those skills and will be key to this defense.
    -3rd Round: SS Zeke Motta
    -We found a player better than FS Yeremiah Bell. If Kerry Rhodes is not returning, Zeke Motta will be there as the future replacement.
    -4th Round: QB Mike Glennon
    -Hopefully he makes it to the 4th round as I don’t expect him to drop any further. He could mold into our future starting Quarterback developing behind Drew Stanton.
    -5th Round: RB Kenjon Barner
    -This dude is an improvement. No more said
    -6th Round: OT Luke Marquardt
    -He has the potential of being one of the elite tackles in the NFL. Yes, I want Lane Johnson too but this guy has the same playmaking capabilities.
    -7th Round: CB Aaron Hester
    -Best Cornerback in the late rounds. Who can resist.

(This is more realistic)

11. By Andy Kw on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

I want DE Margus Hunt to be drafted by the Arizona Cardinals so badddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

12. By canadian redbird on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

I really think that after the dust settles, the top 3 OT’s will be gone by the time the Cards pick at #7. What will happen at that time is the Jets will trade one of their 2 first round picks along with their 2nd round selection to the Cards for the #7 pick and will use that pick to select Geno Smith, prior to the Bills selecting Smith with the 8th pick. The Cards will then use the Jet’s first round pick to select Cooper, and then the best tackle available with the 6th pick in the second.
    If this trading scenario doesn’t play itself out, then we should select Warmack with the #7, which will have immediate dividends to our run game.

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Talk

I’d say exploratory. Like many players, I think you can have confidence in them — but that doesn’t mean you aren’t always looking to upgrade if possible.

14. By ored on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

or smokescreen,never let on what your real intentions are gives you the best chance for either an advantageous trade or keeps em guessing.

15. By clssylssy on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

None of this draft class rocks my world and I agree that going with Andre Smith might be a good investment, unless like Albert he wants an ungodly amount for an extended contract, which may account for his not being picked up yet. There is still a lot of free agency talent out there which I expect to start being picked up after the draft at perhaps discounted prices. At least these guys could start whereas most of the rookies are “iffy”. Our need is now and I don’t see getting a bunch of guys who are going to be longterm projects while we spend another year last in the division. While I can appreciate the enthusiasm of some of our fans it rather nieve to think we are going to have an overnight transformation given all of the holes created and turnover in players and staff. I see where the Dolphins are likely to sign Albert and the Bills will probably take Dansby. Must be nice to have all that $$$$, I think Dansby would be a good short-term player and not much is going to help the Bills! I can’t help feel bad for Kevin Kolb who is now being referred to as a “space holder” and still gets no respect!

16. By Marcelof on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

My humble opinion about this upcoming draft:

Get the best playeravailable at each position :

1st round: OL
    2nd round: CB
    3rd round: OG
    4th round: DT
    5th round: RB
    6th round: CB
    7th round: OL

17. By iammattyoung on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

As much as I’d like the Cards to start assembling a top O-line, I am beginning to lean toward favoring a guy like Barkevious Mingo. If you look at the way this division is going, you absolutely need an athletic end who can really put the screws to mobile double-threat QBs like Kaepernick and Wilson. Both Massie and Levi can be serviceable tackles, but we have nothing at that OLB position opposite Acho, where speedy QBs really expose a bull-rusher like Dockett.

My perfect draft would be Mingo in the first round, and Larry Warford in the second. By putting a big nasty guard in next to Massie, we start to build that line bit by bit and grade some road for Palmer to roll out into. At the same time, we maintain veteran experience on Palmer’s blind-side, and hopefully upgrade in next year’s draft.

18. By pjc on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

We need to address the offensive line. I know, B.A. been quoted saying our O-line isn’t as bad as everyone thinks. Face it, it is….we were last in the NFL in rushing. There were never any holes for these running back to run though. Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, and Ryan Lindley got killed last year due to the lack of protection. Do all you can to get one of these top rated Offensive lineman. DO NOT TRADE DOWN. We need serious help on the O-Line. I got to believe Lane Johnson will be available at the 7th pick. If not Johnson go with Fluker, or Warmack. It’s a no brainer.

19. By pjc on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Is nobody not seeing this? We need one more running back and one more wide receiver. I’m not saying use an early pick on these positions, but we have an backfield of all running backs coming off injuries. With Early Doucette gone (no big loss), I just don’t think Byrd is the answer (another injured player). I don’t understand why the Cardinals are not interested in bringing back LaRod Stephens-Howling. He’s a perfect 3rd down back, Kick returner etc. LaRod has played exceptional for the Cardinals throughout his career. I just don’t get it.

20. By sbrown on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

afraid if trade down might miss on player, lets stay at # 7 and pick smart…
    R1 – either Johnson OT or Warmack OG
    R2 – Minter ILB or Moore OLB
    R3 – TJ Mc Donald FS
    R4 – Quessenberry OT or Winters OG
    ( draft position you did not in R1, if took OG in R 1, then OT here )
    R5 – Motta SS
    R6 – Stacy RB
    R7 – Thurmond OLB or Clancy ILB
    ( again, draft position you did not in R2, if took ILB in R2 then take OLB here )

21. By D on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be suprised Card Fans if on the board at #7 the Cards have the option between L. Johnson LT, Star. L NT and both G’s Warmack and Cooper the Cards go with Star Lotulelei at DT.

He is a better prospect than Johnson and AZ know’s they can find a starting G in Round 2 and are comfortable with Brown and Massie keeping thier spots.

Star could play the nose and play the end. He would be a perfect replacement in one year (2014) of a 32 yr old highly paid Dockett if they want to make a move. He would give the Cards the Option of playing a 4 man front this year at times and could be the top rotational player on the DL this year.

22. By Leesters on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

You know, it really is amazing how much these guys got done in the offseason, and I give kudos for the Bidwells for eating the losses…. but if you don’t have a left tackle, its all for naught.

Levi Brown is the ultimate right tackle.. and amazing mauler, who can pass block a little.

A left tackle needs to be an amazing pass blocker, who doesn’t need to run block.

If the Cards can sign a decent veteran left tackle, and draft the best available guy… Oh another thing….

We’ve seen this before. Need a tackle, so we pass on Adrian Peterson, and draft Levi Brown. Please, not again.

Sign a left tackle. Draft one of the three if they slip, but they won’t. Tackles never do. STOP planning your starting roster from a draft pick.

Right now, we have Levi on the left side because there are three tackles on the roster, and the other two were rookies last year.

***, over??

23. By Red Dead Redemption on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

- pjc

Cardinals do not need a wide receiver unless Michael Floyd, pulls a Aaron Curry or just turns out below average.

Hard to know about him at this point, the QBs were so bad last year, even Fitz looked average or below.

I personally am not a fan of his and think he will be a average WR, still not enough of sample on him to know.

Floyd, Roberts and Fitzgerald are already probably best in the league. Add TE’s King and Housler? Why in the world do you think we need anyone else? How much playing time would they have?

Also remember Josh Cribs will also in all probability sign with the Cardinals and he will be in various packages offensively.

First round, only three options. Draft on the offensive line, Draft on the defensive line and lastly trade pick to make offensive line better by getting Albert if the guys you want are gone.

Anything beyond that, the entire coaching staff and GM should be fired on the spot.

24. By Leesters on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Eric Winston is still available. Good enough for a year. Pay the money. You have the cap space. Or its the “same ol’ Cards”…..

25. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Leesters —

RE: Winston

Winston is a right tackle. Isn’t that what you are complaining about in the first place, having Levi on the left side?

26. By Ricardo C. on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Darren what time does the actual drafting begin here in arizona time?..

27. By Omar on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I’d like to see the Cardinals draft a OG or a OT in the first round and in the second round i’d like to see them draft DE Margus Hunt i think with great coaching that guy could be a beast maybe like J.J. Watt.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ricardo —

RE: Draft time

5 p.m.

29. By Leesters on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Re Winston

I thought he was a left tackle. No wonder it seemed so obvious. :P

Alberts a left tackle, isn’t he? You think the Chiefs would take #7 pick for the rights to Albert? Oh wait…that would be way over the 90% of the cap teams are required to stay at, isn’t it.

I would rather have a veteran tackle than some rookie that we reached for.

You can tell when I’m gonna be getting snarky when I spell it Bidwell.

They have never replaced Gandy. And he was not an all-pro.

30. By Jason on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

@D

I would be surprised if we take Star Lotulelei if any of the following players are available:

1. Joeckel
    2. Fisher
    3. Johnson
    4. Jordan
    5. Ansah
    6. Mingo

31. By Chuck 1 on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

From an earlier article: “Keim, Arians looking for instant impact”
    “If we draft this guy at 7, if he expects me to keep my job, he’s going to play,” Keim added with a smile during Thursday’s pre-draft press conference. Arians, sitting next to Keim, smiled as well. “Mine too.”

Those comments by Keim and Arians make me believe that they will NOT select an OT with the #7 pick.
    I don’t believe that BA would play a rookie OT over Massie or Brown. He might play some, but he wouldn’t make an INSTANT IMPACT.

Ergo, the first pick will be a defensive player.

I have complete confidence that, whomever they pick, it will be a wise decision and the player WILL NOT FAIL.

32. By Kevin_S on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Funny how things work, the Bengals fans are excited about getting Skelton as backup.

33. By ored on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

we’re excited to get palmer,stanton,hoyer,i guess it’s all relative,always looking at the glass half full,same with mendehall,the x steeler rb.but one difference being palmer was #1 pick and showed real talent,mendelhall had 1k yard seasons,so maybe the change of scenerywill be good this time around,has happened before,although mostly when our players went elsewhere.i am so stoked for this draft and the season,let there not be a letdown.

34. By Coach Kevin on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

1. Warmack, OG
    2. Cyprien, SS
    3. Collins, OLB
    4. Thomas, G-T
    5. Jefferson, FS
    6. Stacy, RB
    7. Renfree, QB

35. By Jeffrey on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

How about this as a possible senario.

Trade up to #3 Raiders (Giving 1st,3rd, and 4th round picks

Draft Jockel or Fisher whoever is there

In the second round trade down into the last 3rd of the round getting say a 3rd and 5th rounder

If this happened here is how I would love to see the draft go:

Round 1-Fisher or Jockel LT
    Round 2-Alex Okafor OLB
    Round 3-Travis Fredrick OL or Phillip Thomas S
    Round 5-Joseph Randle RB
    Round 5-David Bass OLB or Alvin Bailey (depending on what they do in round 3)
    Round 6-Devin Taylor, DE/OLB
    Round 7-BPA

Let me know what you all think. I realize that this is talking about a number of trades but let me know.

36. By sbrown on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Jeffrey, don’t know if Cards would like to give up their picks to make a trade with OAK work. If Cards swap first round, they would still need to give maybe their second and third to Oak to balance out value of the #3 pick After the trade of a second to Phily for Kolb, I think Cards would not want to give another second away.

37. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

@Jeffrey,

It’s not bad (although I agree with sbrown about the reality of our second round pick), but as Darren has noted many times, the odds of us doing that are pretty slim. Putting that aside, the major land mine I see in your scenario is what happens if Fisher and Joeckel are the first two picks in the draft? Lane Johnson shows a lot of promise, but it’s a steep price to pay for a guy with his experience. Definitely a deep draft this year, but not one that is top heavy enough to warrant moving up.

38. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

@D,

I like Lotulelei, but remember, Keim and Arians are looking for an immediate starter at #7, not a rotational player. They’ve pretty much filled that role with Rucker and Shaughnessy already, and we’ve still got David Carter. By my count, the way it already breaks down is the same starters as last year (CC and DD at DE, & Williams at NT) with Rucker and Shaughnessy as second string DE’s and Carter backing up Williams.

Unless they view our NT’s as a real weak point, or Star as the next Reggie White, I can’t see him as our pick. But will agree he’s a great pick-up for a team who needs him.

39. By RoleyA on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Warmack, no discussion…take him at 7 and anchor your run game and offensive line for the coming decade. Either that or trade back with the Jets #9 if you can and pick him up there (assuming the Bills don’t take him, which they’ve been rumored to be considering).

Warmack would open run lanes for injury prone running backs, provide Carson with a pocket to step into, replace Snyder who is unanimously our worst OL player, he fits into our power run scheme, he already wears red/white at ‘Bama’, we’re picking at lucky number 7 so why not pick someone named Chance (take a Chance at lucky #7), Mack trucks are the most powerful on the road (and he’s the most powerful guard to pave lanes for a running backs), it’s essentially an all out ‘War’ in the NFC West, he’s the highest rated guard to come out in 10-15 years (ranks a full 3+ points ahead of Decastro), and…did I mention he gets rid of Snyder? Getting rid of Snyder with the best guard to come out in 10-15 years alone is worth it…HUGE difference…

2. Apr 24, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | The GM the day before