Levi Brown: “Criticism comes”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 23, 2013 – 8:33 pm

Levi Brown has never been the sort to talk much of himself or even give in to the emotions of his draft position opposite Adrian Peterson. He knows of the criticism leveled against him and he knows now of the compliments his new coach, Bruce Arians, has been giving him almost from the day Arians was hired. Brown is still getting stronger rehabbing from his triceps injury a year ago, so while he did work some during the easygoing on-field work the last couple of weeks (pictured below) he is sitting out the minicamp work. He will be back at some point. His job will probably be determined on what happens in the draft — if the Cards take a left tackle in the second round, would Levi move? — but he will be out there.

Levi has his faults. No one is arguing that. But it hurt the Cards last year when he went down. Is there a new appreciation for him? As usual, Levi wasn’t going to get into that.

“I haven’t been back on the field,” Brown said. “Things can change. You never know what happens.”

As for the idea fans might’ve missed him, Brown wouldn’t bite on that either. “It is what it is. This game is one of opinions and opinions are always out there. I have no problem with what people think. I just go out there and do my job.”

Arians believes the offensive line will be fine, and that’s before they add anyone in the draft. Brown, who had a chance to go elsewhere as a free agent last year and chose not to, obviously hasn’t decided to let whatever is said about him — or the line — affect his decisions.

“We probably had one year without criticism and even then we were the worst team in the playoffs (in 2008),” Brown said. “Criticism comes. We can deal with that. We’re going to continue to go out here and do what we have to do.”

BetterLeviUSE

Tags:

22 Responses to “Levi Brown: “Criticism comes””

1. By Nick on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

You keep fighting Levi! You were a number one pick then and I think you are still a number one pick. You go out there this year and prove all these doubters wrong! Tear it up, I believe in you!

2. By AzDesertRat1953 on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Nice too see the Big Guy out there trying to do all he is allowed to do.
    I really do not think that BA would compliment Levi if he’s been doing a poor job at LT.

GO CARDS!!!

3. By djjackson81 on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I hope he gives us a repeat of the end of 2011 at worst cause he looked to have turned the corner then leading to his extension. Missing all of last year tho is gonna take him getting back as soon as possible to get up to game speed again. I’m keeping faith he and Massie along with Potter keep growing stronger better with experience for Massie and Potter. I’m hoping Warmack is added to start the real interior line improvements.

4. By G Witt on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Levi, look how the team struggled with out you. The fans didn’t know how good you really were until you weren’t there. I hope you have a PB year.

5. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Levi been threw alot more downs than ups.But when he went down last year it showed me/us just how important he is i believe in levi brown

6. By carlo milan italy on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

watching the highlights of first day of mini-camp finally i am so happy to see a qb who can throw the ball so well..now give me warmack.go card..inals

7. By truths4all on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

All Levi Brown has to do under BA is to start performing as good as the top All-Pro NFL left tackles. When he does, all naysayers, including myself, will be silent AND satisfied. However, until Brown proves on the field that he now has quicker feet, faster reactions, better pass blocking techniques, is able to finally handle stunts, and eliminate his numerous false starts, the rest of us will remain very skeptical of his place on the roster.

And make no mistake, when BA states Brown is the best left tackle on the roster, unlike our esteem Darren Urban’s glass is full outlook, the rest of us take that as a truthful statement on the sad state of affairs on the Cards offensive line’s overall capabilities, and that is why they were rated among the bottom offensive lines in the NFL last year.

Hopefully, the draft and the development of last year’s rookies along with the zone blocking schemes will provide the real basis for an improved offensive line play. And who knows, perhaps the zone blocking schemes will maximize Brown’s skills allowing him to play well because in all fairness, only Kurt Warner could make Whisenhunt’s offense work, as long as he stayed healthy and that was never a priority with Whisenhunt. All QBs have failed with the Cards offensive line.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

T Levi Brown: “I have no problem with what people think. I just go out there and do my job.”

This is a funny statement to me.
    If he goes out and does his job, people (in general) will praise him and not have criticism.
    If you dont do your job, there will be criticism.

I don’t think Joe Thomas and the browns are being blasted for not taking AP. It is that simple Levi.

9. By D on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

His contract dictates OT. Unless they get a chance to take one of the top 3 Left tackles in the draft (which doesn’t look good) Levi will be the Left tackle this year. He is better than any Left tackle that will be available in round 2-6. The G from KY is a future RG probowler–need to grab him in Round 2. Potter, Chilo and Synder as main backups if they keep 8 OL on the roster. If they keep 7 active, then Synder and Chilo could be battling for the last vet backup job in training camp. I see Potter as Colledge’s replacement in 2014

10. By Christo on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Levi Brown has no place on this team.

Graves and Whis have crippled us. Hopefully Arians is able to set him free after June 1.

11. By Dynosoar on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

There’s an old saying “you never know what you have until it’s gone.” This may apply here.

I will add a word of caution to the negativity over last years O-line, they were decimated by injuries and Levi was only one of them. It will be hard to compare last season to this (unless we are again decimated by injuries.) That said…

I expect us to be ten times better. We’ll give up <24 sacks this year including playoffs. (I'll give our SB opponents 3 sacks, they'll have to be good or they wouldn't be in the big game.)

Chickens, 3, 4, 5, 6…
    HaHa

Can't wait till tomorrow evening and #7 (or whatever the traded spot is.)

12. By Bill L on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

58 Sacks without Levi in 2012, DEAD LAST………52 Sacks with Levi in 2011, NEXT to LAST……..Levi rated Next to Last among Tackles in 2009……Levi Rated DEAD LAST in 2010………..Glad it’s Carson and not me that has to doing the PAYING if this ……..LEVI WILL SAVE US…….is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH HOT AIR.

13. By Jason on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

The closer we get to the draft the more I see us drafting a pass rusher @7. If the pundits are right the tackles are going to fly off the board and Keim doesn’t seem likely to trade up. The more I read about Mingo and Jordan the more I like them and at least one of them will be available. In round 2 we could hopefully be able to draft Kyle Long, a highly rated guard who has the athleticism to possibly move to tackle like Branden Alberts. Here is my mock:

1. Kiki Mingo OLB LSU-I think the tackles are gone as well as Jordan and possibly Ansah.
    2. Kyle Long G Oregon-athletic guard who is ranked as the 3rd best guard on some peoples boards.
    3. JJ Wilcox S Georgia Southern
    4. Alvin Bailey G Arkansas
    5. Ty Powell LB Harding
    6. Zac Stacey RB Vandy
    7. Keelan Johnson S Arizona State

Boom!

14. By D on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Hey Q Groves….not a good thing to do before the draft…I bet Ziggy is looking better for the Browns if they can’t move down…

15. By Rufus on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

A lot talk about the line and deservedly so, but any chance the Cardinals are going to add a TE? The draft is deep in this position and this is a need for the Cardinals.

16. By erik on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

All you people down on the O-line, just remember when Warner was here. Yeah he got hit, just like EVERY quarterback does, but his ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly made the O-line look a lot better.
    Carson will do the same thing. It is a TEAM sport and the people that have been playing QB the last few years did the O-line absolutely no favors. Obviously, that in turn has an affect on the run game.

We won’t even be discussing the O-line this year because it will improve with Palmer back there.

17. By Mike G on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good. I’m Looking forward to the draft. The thing I like about Levi is that he is a true pro. He is versatile and can play either guard or tackle which makes him very valuable. I hope the Card’s take an offensive lineman in the draft. The stronger you get up front the better. Hey Darren–Do you think Steve Keim is really intent on making the O-Line more physical and do you think he has been influenced by SF and Seattle in the way that they have built their OL the last couple years???????

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: OL

I think Keim is making decisions based on his own philosophy.

19. By vegas4u2012. on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I’m 100% w/Wolfley…Draft Fisher/Johnson,if there at #7&..play Levi at Guard..(his strength is at run blocking)..imagine if Massie/Levi,had a bad injury early in the season again,i don’t believe Potter is ready yet to protect Palmers blindside for a whole season.We will find a still @…Safety/OLB..in the 2nd.round..GO BIG RED!!!

20. By Jason on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

@Eric

I agree that the hope is Carson will help the pass blocking by getting rid of the ball on time, but even when Warner was here we had trouble run blocking. We do need to get better especially on the inside.

@Rufus

I don’t think TE is a huge need. We have Housler who should have a break out year as our inline receiving TE and the veteran Jeff King who seems to be a good fit for the H back role that BA’s offense uses.

21. By Dr G on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

OT…OT…OT…OT!!! It seems like eons ago, but…. I remember a really fine QB named Warner who could get rid of the ball quickly, and he was tough. He would have stayed at least another year if the injuries he sustained repeatedly had not happened…playing with an arm in a cast, etc… When he finally got his bell rung on a cheap shot, I could tell that he made the decision right then…. I have enough money now… have other things I’d like to do while I’m still in one piece… It’s been a good run….. later guys….. OT… OT… OT The QB does not make the line better; he only covers the mistakes they make….

22. By ored on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

between palmers savy and healthy tackle and rookies with experience now,the need is guard,lets balance our team,no need to go overboard on tackles because of last year,problem is fixed,don’t go chasing and overshoot,move on to the next need before something else blows up.