Cards address offensive line with Cooper

Posted by Darren Urban on April 25, 2013 – 6:10 pm

The Cardinals did indeed use their first-round pick to address the offensive line, grabbing physical and athletic guard Jonathan Cooper of North Carolina. The top three tackles were all off the board by the time the Cards picked, and Cooper — given his athletic nature — is probably a better fit to Bruce Arians’ offense than Chance Warmack (and it might not have helped that Warmack has some concerns with the health of his shoulder.)

It makes sense that Cooper will go right into the starting lineup. I’d guess that would likely be in place of right guard Adam Snyder, who could in theory be an all-everything backup to every position. Or the could move on from Snyder, who is due $4 million in salary this season. We’ll have much more on azcardinals.com over the next hour or so, including quotes from Cooper, Arians and GM Steve Keim.

CooperTweetUseBLOG

Tags: , , , ,

71 Responses to “Cards address offensive line with Cooper”

1. By Jerrytown on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Solid pick!

2. By CDJ on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Good, shore up our interior line for the future and then maybe get an OT next year depending on how the qb class looks and how well Palmer plays

3. By sforsling on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Absolutely love this pick! Love the experience and durability! Should improve this line from day one!

4. By jetstreamgreen81 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Great pick. Best guard and all part of the plan to better the run game and pass game as well. Must protect the interior and be able to run the ball. Glad we got the right guard. His versatility and athletic ability will be great for the offense. Can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow.

5. By stevephoenix on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Drafting guards this high in the first round is hardly seen, but Cooper fills a need. And he is athletic and can move. He will be a heck of a guard. The Cards need help on the line & Copper was the next best player left on the board from the offensive linemen so really they had to take him. Good pick by the Cards overall.

6. By Corgon on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Like it. Welcome!

7. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

The Rams gave up the 16th, 49th and their 3rd and 7th to get Tavon Austin.

You have to believe that trade or something from someone else was there.

OK, Cooper is not a terrible pick. I’m not a guard guy that early for us but I did like Cooper more than Warmack.

But dang it, trade !!!!. Are you kidding me?? TRADE!

Please dont tell me that a offer wasn’t made to us by the Rams or someone else who wanted Austin.

To have a chance to have the 16th, 38th, 49th, 69th and 78th for a 5-11 team and you pass on it for a guard. Get impact Keim.

8. By Eric G on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

BNPA. Best needed player available. I agree with the pick . Right choice given the circumstances.

9. By Jason on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG

I doubt the Rams called us…and if they did inter-division trades are rare. I’m on board with Cooper but, he has the pressure of being a pro bowl G sooner rather than later and for many years. In hope hes up to that challenge!!!

10. By Credit Card on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

In an earlier post I mentioned they’ll take Cooper or Warmack. I wish they traded down somehow — and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder. Cooper would have been available later — heck the Packers were taking a good look at him. Which is a good news / bads news things. Packers have a keen eye for talent — so Cooper has talent, bad news is we spent #7 for a #20th pick.

I think Cooper will be at left guard. They should move Brown to right guard. Draft Armstead in the 3rd round. I think he has the most potential upside for all left tackles in this draft.

Here’s hoping they get Ogletree in the 2nd.

Despite all the rhetoric that Arians said about our OL being Ok, it was a smoke screen. Our tackles were injured and horrible, and our guards were even worse. the line has to be over-hauled.

11. By Eric G on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I already love this GM and Coach over the last with that pick. Let’s face it, Whiz and Graves would have picked Star Lotulelei or Dee Millner with that pick.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Saints now have Malcom Jenkins and Kenny Vaccaro at Safeties.

Nice job saints to match up against the Falcons.

13. By Steve on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Great pick!! not a sexy selection but absolutely the right one. Sounds like a future Pro Bowl player for us!

14. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Cooper may fix that Guard spot for a decade, did you see that clip of him pull and run? Our guards NEVER pulled like that on their best days. WOW! What a beast. Mayock had him as best athlete at the position. Like it a LOT. So Levi at TL, but a young experienced LT behind him in Potter. Kelemete pushing Colledge, Seindlin a fixture, Coooooper, and Massie who had no sacks last 8 (really? so said Mayock) games. Our line got both younger and lot better in 2 drafts. Potter, Massie and Kelemete may be better than we knew, since we now have guys to COACH them.

Here we go Cards. Several are calling the Cards the dark horse this year. You never know…

15. By johnwimmer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Fair enough John, but let’s at least celebrate the fact that this new regime recognizes the invaluable nature of a strong line, and was ready to spend a top 10 pick on such a player. We can only trust Keim and BA at this point, so… FORWARD!

16. By Fred on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

love the pick, you just inproved the pass and run game with a player who can start now, yes we need a OT but thay were gone. with this pick the cards are saying we want to win and were going to build a line that will help us achive that goal.

17. By OttisAndersonFan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I LOVE THE PICK.

DURABLE! 47 starts at UNC. That’s what we needed!

And for those skeptics who get caught up in the, “guards are only good for run blocking and not protecting the QB”, go and get your head examined. Cooper will make Wolfley eat his words about not taking a guard in the top 10.

18. By in fitz we trust on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Obviously we drafted for need, and not best player available. I love the pick in terms of filling a need, but I feel we could have got a more talented player with our pick. I remember Ariana saying if you draft for need your in trouble. Just in my opinion I would have preferred dee milliner to pair with pp. Either way we upgraded out guard position which will have more positive ripple effects then a corner or wide receiver would have provided.

19. By G Witt on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

WELCOME MR COOPER!! He’ll be such an asset for this team.

20. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I’M GLAD WITH THIS PICK IMO I WANTED WARMACK BUT DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SHOULDER INJURY GREAT WORK BY KEIM. ALSO IT LOOKS LIKE COOPER CAN PLAY CENTER TOO ANY TRUTH….. WOW AFTER ALL THE YEARS AKILI SMITH, TIM COUCH,DAVID CARR,LIST GOES ON YOU EITHER HAVE A HALL OF FAME QB TO MAKE YOUR LINE OR YOU HAVE A LINE TO MAKE YOUR QB…..

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Cooper

Cooper would not have been there at 20. I don’t think he would have been there at 11.

22. By OttisAndersonFan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

ESPN’s coverage of the Card’s pick absolutely sucked. As soon as the pick was announced, ESPN jumps to the Raiders/Dolphins trade that was made and talked (Adam Schefter) about the trade until the Miami pick was made. Was odd to watch the Cooper video footage while the accompanying audio was all Schefter talking about the trade. Grade: F

NFL Network, however, stayed on Cooper from the time he was announced until just 2-3 minutes before Miami’s pick was announced. Grade: A+

23. By Scott H on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Nice. Got a big, talented, atheletic body to anchor the interior of the line. NO ONE needed O-line help more than the Cardinals, so going there in the first round definitely provides the most value for this team.

Sure seems like an interesting draft in that it seems to be lacking in stand-out players at ANY of the offensive skill positions. All day, I’ve been hearing speculations that there might not even be a single RB taken in the first round. Wow….

Funny…O-lineman are not considered “skill position” players…yet, without them, the skills of your “skill position” players could disappear.

Seems like a great pick at #7. Glad they stayed where they were and glad they went O-line.

24. By Credit Card on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Darren,I agree he probably would not have been available that low. I do like the idea of getting interior help. The Giants and other successful teams have the creedo of putting the money and talent closest to the ball.

I am still greedy in hopes that we could have squeezed an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd.

This is an interesting game on how it is constantly changing. Thus changing draft and free agency philosphies to stay current and competitve takes considerable planning, clever strategies, and of course luck.

25. By Jason on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

If Damontre Moore is available in round 2…..do you do it?

26. By iammattyoung on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

So disappointing that the top pass rushers and left tackles were the first guys off the board. But, I don’t think there’s anyone else on the board at #7 that I would have taken over Cooper. Nice work SK, BA, and Co. It’ll be interesting to see who drops out of the first round, but I’m bummed that the freaking 49ers will have first dibs on those guys. Ugh. I hate them sooooo muuuuch.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Jason,
    Disagree. But even if the rams didn’t, someone else did. I have been saying for several days, teams wanted Austin. The rams gave up so much because there were others involved.

Cooper helps the team. Dont get me wrong. Just think it would have been wiser to get the extra picks.

As we found out, Vaccaro goes to the 15th pick. Meaning he is gone at 16. But I would have landed Tyler Eifert at 16. Then having 4 more picks in the next 62 players would have been wiser. I also don’t believe there is a huge difference between the giants pick, Justin Pugh and Cooper. Pugh could play all 5 spots on the oline. Great pick by Giants. If you needed a guard, trade and take Pugh at 16.

Rams were very smart going up and getting the most explosive player and then trading down to and getting back there 3rd rounder they gave up and got a 6 to boot.

Niners came up and got my second favorite Safety in Eric Reid.

Seahawk of course used this pick for Percy Harvin.

PS. Funny thing, I said trade down with Panthers yesterday so they could get Austin and I only got thumbs up, no thumbs down. Now everyone turns . HMMM

28. By johnwimmer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

get some more line help while the quality players are still available.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

OttisAndersonFan,

Woofley just understands football. There is a reason we have never seen a guard go this his since 1975. That is 38 years GMs, Coaches and scouts thought guards should not be that high. Now with all that history and stuff to back up why he said that, you want to point out Woofley.

Who said Guards cant pass block?? I cant believe anyone said that.

30. By Kevin S on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

No problem with the pick. And wow, clearly not the year of the QB. I guess the people talking a few weeks ago about Geno Smith potentially being gone by the time we picked were a little off base.

31. By Jason on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

I wasnt saying we didnt have a chance to trade down….I just doubt it was the Rams. You know I’m on the fence about guard at #7 I wouldve loved the trade down. However, I really like Keim…I think he’s sharp and I trust his pick.

PS-I wouldve hated a trade down if Eifert was out first round pick.

32. By Kevin S on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone’s mock draft been remotely close to this? I’m looking at Peter King’s from yesterday and of course most of his top 10 went early but not a single one correctly matched with the team that actually selected them. And Sharrif Floyd dropped all the way to 23rd after the Miami trade with Oakland (saw a lot of mocks with him going 3rd to Oak). Fun draft, very unpredictable.

33. By Bill L on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Cooper is a VERY GOOD player…….but, it’s still a passing L and the RUSH comes against the tackles……..so GOOD Player, but not that much improvement…..some, not much or near enough.

ONE NFC West team is getting ready to challenge SF and SEA……that would be the RAMS. Adding Jake Long, Tavon Austin and Ogletree……their O has stepped up BIG TIME and a strong D got Stronger.

Well, Cooper is nice…….But, OAK was selling cheap……a move UP to get the 3rd LT was possible……..and MISSED………

34. By kevin on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

To me it looks like we will need a SS however theres enough room for us to pick up a decent HB too soo keep an open mind Cards!

35. By Soares20 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Great Pick! with all of the OT and pass rushers off of the board. Now let’s go get any one of these players in the second and I’d call this the first 2 rounds A SLAM DUNK GREAT JOB KEIM AND BA!!!

John Cyprien FS Florida International
    Arthur Brown ILB Kansas State
    Kevin Minter ILB LSU

36. By Campbells on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Great pick.
    Hope we go defense, or running back in round-2

37. By Erik on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I hope we get SS Jonathan Cyprien. Im really glad 49ers didnt pick him. although i like Eric Reid too.

38. By frustrated on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I really like the pick. I could see him being a solid starter for a long time.

39. By Jerrytown on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

If the Cards took Pugh in the 1st round I would have thrown my shoe through the tv…if I asked you yesterday if you wanted the Cards to trade down and take Pugh or Kyle Long (the following pick) you would have told me I was crazy. Fact is, if we took a pass rusher in the 1st (if one was available), maybe most of the guards/tackles we were banking on in the 2nd would already be gone. Lots of teams needing O line. Cooper was the safe play there. Satisfies a need and he’s one of the best players at his position to come out in a while. This improves our passing and running games. I agree, if things fell differently maybe we go in a different direction, but based on the board that was a great pick.

40. By Jerrytown on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

And here’s to Cyprien in round two…

41. By Chuck on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Give credit to wiz and his staff or picking up massive and potter in the late rounds. But even a bigger pat on the back to this new front office, for going even bigger with a first round o line pick. Now just deaf all defense ,with the exception of a t and maybe rb. I think teo would be an amazing 2nd round still.

42. By Rio on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Hey, John the draft guy, you should really look for another sport, you are really short sited about foot ball.

There was no way Cooper would have been there late , this guy is a football player John, where have are all the flowers gone.

43. By Eazy E on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

My top 3 that we’re on the board was Geno, Chance and then Dee. I ain’t tripping about getting Cooper even though I like Warmack better. We better get my dude Geno because he still out there which teams that need a QB are gonna be kicking themselves for the next 10-15+ years.#C’mon Cardinals #Don’t Mess around #Do Whatever To Get Him #Can’t Believe That

44. By Oscar on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jerrytown —

Exactly what I’m saying.

45. By Jesse on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Swearinger in the 2nd, but reality is, the Cardinals are going to get a real good player where they are sitting.

46. By Louisville Card on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I think the pick was good but it was definitely a need over BPA pick. I still think Tavon should have been the pick he was without a doubt the BPA at the Cards pick. This will turnout to be Levi vs AP round two only the cards will have to be reminded they should’ve picked him twice a year…

47. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I’d love Cyprien round 2 Cornelius Washington round 3

Or Jamie Collins round 2 Phillip Thomas round 3

48. By Firemagoo on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Wolfley also “Lovedddddd” the Snyder FA signing while I called it “Garbage” to which Darren said the FO obviously thought differently. Too bad we are stuck with Snyder through this year due to his cap unfriendly contract if cut. But experienced back-up is good. The CBA has also changed the drafting of G high. Not near the cash outlay so going with the beefies early is becoming less uncommon. What 2 WR, 1 Qb, 0 RB. Not too full of skill position guys guess alm the teams are tailoring to the new world, CBA, and strength of this draft. So does Potter move inside and challenge Colledge as BA illuded to? Cooper and Massie on the R is going to be a good duo. Thoughts on Barret Jones if he makes it to 3/4?

49. By Tucson Card on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Nicely done. Excited to see Cooper maul justin smith

50. By red see rider on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

We didn’t buy the spinning rims this time!!! we got the sorely needed Michellins with the extended warranty! I feel great about this pick! Now, about the Cowboys and Jets???? SMH.

51. By eric on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

outstanding move…i prefered warmack but this guy is solid.

52. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Rio,

Really?? First, when did I say we would get Cooper later? You just decided to make something up?

People like you and many on the board are Sheep following blindly. Just Clueless. In BA and Keim we trust.

You people wanted Warmack because someone told you he was good. We can go through blog after blog all about Warmack.

Last year I begged to trade up for Tannehill and had to listened to people like you say Kolb is the man. We dont need a QB. Kolb can do it. , In Whiz we trust. How did that work out? We watched the falcons go up to get Julio Jones, the Skins get RG3, yet in Whiz we trusted. Right guys? Now in Keim and BA we trust. Blind sheep. smdh.

Tucson card,
    you think Cooper is mauling Justin Smith? You are aware Cooper played at 287 pounds this year. Right? He put on weight for the combine. He most likely will play around 305. He is a gifted athlete who can pass block and pull, and get out on screens. But mauling Justin Smith? Warmack was the mauler.

Jerrytown,
    look at what Dallas did. They didn’t want Pugh or Long and decided to drop, pick up multiple picks and still landed the best center who is an absolute mauler and would play guard also. We have holes at safety, CB, DE, G, T, TE, OLB. We didn’t have to stay at 16 if our player isnt there. What would Travis Fredericks and two extra twos mean to you? or just Cooper.

The St Louis understands the draft. Last year they traded down and got several extra picks including 3 first rounders. This year they come up to land the most explosive player in the draft, then went down, recouped most of the picks they gave away and landed the best ILB in the draft. That, is how it is done.

53. By Brian on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

satisfied with the pick. I think all the depth at tackle is taken now.

maybe we can trade up for another guard?

great job to the cardinals staff!

54. By sammy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

There should be no excuse now for lack of a running game and all the quarterback sacks we took last year, Levi Brown is back which will be huge. Our offense was so predictable last year and teams adjusted quickly in the box.

The team went 6-1 in 2011 and closed with a tight win against Seattle and opened with a tight win in 2012 against them. The wheels started to come off in St Louis and then the Buffalo game. Minnesota we kept it close but they had great run blocking for Peterson, SF had great run blocking for Gore. We never really had decent run blocking all season and some games the quarterback was sacked in three seconds ! OC decisions could not be implemented on the field and we could not convert third downs. Lynch in Seattle ran over us, he was almost unstoppable.

55. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Louisville Card

I like Tavon and his playmaking ability…but, comparing him to AP?!? They are in different leagues. Tavon is 5’8″ 174 lbs…he’s a slot receiver who is going to be running crossing patterns against Willis, Bowman, Washington, Wagner and Chancellor 6 times a year. Can he take that kind of punishment? He is probably too small to line up outside and if he does can he get off from physical pressing corners? I’m not saying he won’t make plays in the NFL not only as a slot receiver but as a return man…but, giving up all those picks and drafting him in the top 10?!? I don’t see it as a shrewd move or a value pick….he was a luxury pick.

56. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG

To quote Alonzo, “You got mad squabbles boy!”

Lol, I think you have to keep in mind that the only opinion that really matters is Keim & co. it’s his job on the line if he’s wrong. I like the guy and I believe Cooper was a player they coveted @7…I, like you, wouldn’t have gone guard that high and possibly traded down. I remember a situation when we were uncomfortable drafting a DE with a slow 40 in the top 10 so we traded down and received two 1st round picks! Great trade except that player was Terrell Suggs and we used our picks on Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson….trading down isn’t always a win. The draft is a guessing game and I hope that Keim has guessed right. For the record I stated several times that Cooper was rated higher than Warmack in response to all of the people who kept saying how Warmack was a “once in a decade” player. I never said which guard I preferred because I didn’t prefer a guard…I really thought we’d get an edge rusher or tackle @7! Never though they’d all go 1-6.

57. By Erik on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jason —

You read my mind about J Cyprien and Washington, or Jamie Collins and Phillip Thomas. But id switch Jamie Collings for a Sam Montgomery or a Damontre Moore. They can both, if Drop a Few Pounds will be good enough for Outside Linebacker.

58. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Erik-

I’m with you on Moore…loved his production in the SEC and the majority of his sacks did come against the upper echelon teams. Worried about his combine numbers and off the field stuff but I like the player. Montgomery is a bit more iffy for me…he had more production than Mingo in college but he was one on one more than Mingo. Not sure if he had the athleticism Id like to see for a stand up rusher. That’s why I say Collins, for the record I’ve never seen him play just heard he had a good combine and JTDG says he’s a player so that’s good enough for me. Washington had an amazing combine and that’s all I really know about him so take that for what you will.

59. By joe 67 on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I knew Thurs nite would take care of itself, and had confidence we would do well. Now, IMO, the next three pix are the big ones. Need to hit the cycle and go 4 for 4. I think the Rams are getting better, and we need to make sure we do as well. Go Cards

60. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

“St Louis understands the draft. Last year they traded down and got several extra picks including 3 first rounders.”

And in the process, left an elite QB on the board. Probably not going to prove to be the smartest move.

“Look at my post. I have been saying all along Cooper was better. I didn’t see too many people get on board with me on that. In fact, I cant think of anyone else agreeing with me that Cooper was better. We pick Cooper, and sheep like you are all on board. Great pick. What happened to your precious Warmack?”

What makes Cooper better at this point?

61. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jason,

Trading down and not taking Suggs wasnt the issue. It was the players we choose.
    Guys like Osi, Lance Briggs, Jason Witten, Asamoah, Dallas Clark, Rasheen Mathis, Larry Johnson were 1’s, 2’s or high 3’s in that draft. Not to mention, Palamalo was one pick in front of us.

OK Hindsight is easy but let’s say this happened. If we would have traded down one of those ones again (and yes, Ravens traded up one pick after ours) took Asamoah with our 1, Briggs and Boldin with those two’s, and traded up a couple spots to get Witten in the 3rd, is anyone upset about Suggs?

The issue wasnt the trade down. The issue is what you do with the trade down.

Again, my issue isn’t picking Cooper. My issue is I could see Austin climbing and trades available. Making a trade and getting 3 extra players in this draft (rams gave up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th) is smarter. It just is to me. Its not about making a good move to me. It is about making the best move.

You know who else gets my philosophy? Billichek. With 5 superbowls over the last 10-11 years, he always reloads by trading down and making multiple picks. I have never heard him say this, but I think it is because he knows players flop. If you have 5-7 and half flop, it hurts you. But if you draft 11 and half flop, you come out of the draft with 5-6 good players. It is a numbers game. If our #2 and 3 miss this year, it will hurt. It would be nice to have extra picks.

62. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,

With Bradford, it made since for the rams to take the deal. Sure RG3 is a star. He also has been knocked out of games twice. Bradford has been on some bad teams and no one to throw to. It will interesting to see how he does this year.
    And remember, they have two #1’s next year too.

I liked Cooper because he seems to fit the offense Arians is running better. A zone blocking scheme that requires lineman to get to the second level, needs guys a little smaller and quicker. It is not about pancakes, it is about walling guys off.

So playing SF, you have Smith over Levi, NT over Sendlin, an LB off the line.
    Levi would block smith, Cooper would combo on NT then slide to the LB getting the RB to the third level. Cooper will be great to use for trap plays, screens, and sweeps.

Warmack is a knock the snot out of you guard. If you are in front of him, he is moving you. But he can be off balance at times. Experienced pass rushers like a Justin smith can show him quickness and bull rush him. If a team is looking to throw a lot, run the ball outside and off tackle, run traps, screens, and want lineman to get to the second level, the more athletic Cooper just fits better.

It was more scheme than talent thing that I liked Cooper more.

63. By Tucson Card on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

You are right. Everyone should listen to you. You know everything. In John the Draft Guy We Trust. The next time I have an opinion I’ll refer to your comments on this blog to make sure what I think is right.

I’m excited for the pick…..no reason to call me out.

With love from Tucson,

Tucson Card

64. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG

Its easy to go back and plug in the players we should’ve picked. My point is that trading back is one way to go and while it was the best decision to YOU…Keim picked a guy he had graded as a top 7 player on his big board. You have to assume they had the debate about taking the player or trading down (if they even had an offer) and the final decision was he was too good to pass. Trading up, trading down or picking the BPA it doesn’t matter unless you make the right pick.

As far as Belicheck his superbowls are from the 2000 & 2001 drafts where he lucked out in the 6th round with Tom Brady in 2000 (only guy from that draft class for NE to do anything) and then scoring with Richard Seymour 6th overall pick follwed by Matt Light in the 2nd. After that they’ve been pretty average during the draft…but you’re right, more picks definetly gives you more swings for that home run.

65. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

I know why you liked Cooper better, but you made it sound as though he was better, which isn’t something we’ll know for awhile now. Misunderstanding on my part.

Understood STL’s reasoning, but passing on RGIII isn’t likely to be a smart move no matter how logical it might have seemed at the time.

Belichick probably would have been better off to package a few of the second and third round picks he hoarded all those years. Imagine if Brady had a game breaker to work with over the past 4-5 seasons, instead of the smurf squad and castoffs they picked up instead? Scary.

66. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

Agree with your thoughts about Tavon Austin, but as Fisher pointed out, the new rules will make life much easier in the slot.

But 100% agreement on the price they paid for a slot receiver with questionable hands, who has a tendency to run east-west.

67. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Mike

What new rules?

68. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

Hits on “defenseless” receivers. It used to be once they touched the ball they were fair game. No where was that ridiculous rule on display more than the 49’er/Saints playoff game a few years back. Willis and Goldson were defending Graham, but had to play the ball in the air (what is he, 6’8″?, and a former basketball player), and, failing that, had to wait for him to come down before hitting him. Of course, it didn’t work and he walked in for what was the go-ahead TD. Back in the day, a guy like Ronnie Lott could have drew a bead on his outstretched rib cage and knocked him out of the game.

Anyways, it will obviously help a guy like Austin, and gone are the days when ILB’s would drive a forearm into their mouth for daring to step into that part of the field. But in spite of not having to deal with what his predecessors did, I still see him needing to make some adjustments to his game.

69. By Jason on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@mike

Ok, I thought maybe there were some new rules I was unaware of. Those rules (which I approve of) are like traffic lights…sometimes you’re going way to fast to stop. The speed of the game is too fast to eliminate some of the hits he’s going to take, but they don’t even have to be illegal hits. He’s 174…most guys that weighed 230-260 in college couldn’t touch him…he’s going to get touched I’m the NFL.

70. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@Jason,

He will, and that is where the rubber will meet the road.

Just agreeing with Fisher, in that 20 years ago there’s no way they pick him where they did, but nowadays it’s a different story.

71. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Tucson Card

I am sorry for calling you out. I’m glad you are excited about the pick. I was in the middle of arguing about my desire to move down. You weren’t arguing with me, so sorry I included you.