Cooper avoided mocks and Day 2 musings

Posted by Darren Urban on April 25, 2013 – 9:57 pm

The Cardinals may have been high on Jonathan Cooper the whole time but his name really didn’t get linked to the Cardinals in a strong sense until the last few days. His name popped up in the mocks more often, and even Cooper admitted he had noticed. Even if he didn’t really want to.

“I really tried not to look at the mock drafts and things of that nature,” Cooper said after the Cards took the guard seventh overall. “When people would say that, I’d be like, ‘It doesn’t mean anything, that’s just the media.’ So I was shocked when they called me.”

Avoiding mocks in this day and age? Not so much. “For the most part I did, but my dad was kind of big on it, so he’d send me the links every now and then.”

It’s probably a good idea, to be honest. Skip the noise and wait to see what happens on draft day.

– Cooper is going to start. Who does he replace? On the left side is Daryn Colledge, who could make the case he was the Cards’ best offensive lineman last year (although in context that may not mean as much given the line’s struggles as a whole.) On the right side is Adam Snyder, who played with injuries last season but had his issues. If I had to guess, Cooper will replace Snyder. And there is a chance someone can still be released, with the cap hit designated as a “June 1″ cut and spread over two seasons. We’ll see how it plays out.

– Cooper is familiar with the area, at least. He spent the last three months training at Athletes Performance Institute in Phoenix.

– GM Steve Keim must’ve really loved Cooper. Keim is, after all, an North Carolina State alum and Cooper went to North Carolina. “The hardest part of the selection was taking a Tar Heel,” Keim said. Said Cooper, “He made sure he let me know that on the phone call when he was telling me I was drafted.”

– Where to next? The Cardinals have the seventh pick of the second round, and with their two picks Friday they obviously could go in a lot of different directions. When we look at need, safety and pass rusher remain at the top of the list. Inside linebacker? Yes, I could see that too. The Cards did sign free agents like Alexander and Brinkley, but again, the idea was to avoid being forced into a pick.

– That said, going on Mike Mayock’s positional rankings, here’s what could be there for the Cards in the second round: Florida International safety Jonathan Cyprien (wow, two Jonathans in two picks?), LSU inside linebacker Kevin Minter and Texas A&M DE-who-could-be-OLB Demontre Moore. There are others too, and frankly, most years, it seems like the Cards’ second-round pick comes as a surprise. I have no idea how the grades go, and like Thursday, it’s all going to come down to who goes in those top six five picks.

– Yes, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley remain on the board. Well, since E.J. Manuel is the only QB gone the Cards could have a lot of QB options. I do not see the Cards going QB in the second round. The third? Maybe. They won’t waste a pick just to take a QB. If you don’t see some sliver of special in a QB, I don’t know why you’d burn a pick. Especially with Carson Palmer in place.

– I don’t know if Eddie Lacy will be there in seven picks. Would I take the running back? Yes, but with a caveat. If I have guys graded high at those other positions (safety, pass rusher) I am passing on the running back. If Lacy is standing out on the board, OK. But I’d rather not spend on a back that, by many accounts, isn’t necessarily special. It’s possible you could have run for 700 yards behind that Alabama offensive line. I’m not saying Lacy won’t be good. I’m just saying I would have other priorities.

– Before anyone asks again about Tyrann Mathieu, is he a third-round possibility? I could see it. His relationship with Patrick Peterson helps. The Cards could use a playmaker in the secondary like that. But I don’t know if I’d say it’s likely. Especially with an early third-rounder.

UseWarBLOGTHIS

Tags: , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Cooper avoided mocks and Day 2 musings”

1. By Brian on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Don’t the Cards have the 6th pick of the second round since they flip flop with Cleveland’s slot having finished with the same record?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Brian –

RE: Swap

You are right

3. By Steve on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Darren: I’m glad you mentioned the Honey Badger being a possibility because I was going to ask you as such. Do you have a sense at all of Keim and BA being a little more tolerant of players with red flags vs Whisenhunt/Graves?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Red flags

Do not know on that. I am purely speculating.

5. By Luke on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind teo think he’s an amazing player who cares about that stupid hoax.also Cyperian or a safety will most likely be our pick looking at the current state of the position. Then again it all comes down to that board.

6. By Justin on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Cyprien would be nice to see in a Cards’ jersey…

7. By Eazy E on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals are out of their skulls if they don’t trade up or pass Geno again?? All this doesn’t matter if your QB sucks PERIOD! Cooper I think was a good pick even though I preferred Warmack but if you pass on a QB like Geno for a safety or pass rusher or Hell whatever, pink slip is coming if your not extremely successful…

8. By Eazy E on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Carson ain’t gone be here long and he ain’t that good, check his numbers and the Raiders success or lack thereof with the guy. You have to draft your future guy and Geno is it.#Damn

9. By Oscar on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

If he’s there take Jonathan Cyprien, we have to fill need over BPA. This takes me back to when we drafted R Williams over JJ Watt, Yeah that hurts. If not him Demontre Moore would be ideal and I would jump all over Honey Badger in the 3rd, he can easily obtain a Green Card in Phx for what it’s worth.

10. By Jacob on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

We may have flip flopped with the Browns in the 2nd round anyway, but it’s irrelevant really – they don’t have a pick in the 2nd round to swap. Didn’t they use it in last year’s supplemental draft to take Josh Gordon?

11. By Rob on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I like Cooper. But immediate answers/production is needed, at least that’s the impression I get from the Arians/Keim regime

12. By ored on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

hard watching teams like the vikings get 3 1st rounders,all we can do is make sure we stay with our board and hope for a good trade or someone to drop to us.with one pick per round,have to make em count.

13. By johnnybluenose on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

i would be tempted to take lacey with our next pick but i think we have to give the three runners we already have a chance…..so we will draft a defender and, as others have pointed out, there will be a few very good prospects still available for us to choose from. there is no way i take a quarterback in any round this year. we don’t really know if we have a need at the qb position. hopefully our top two guys will be more than adequate and we can wait until next year to find a prospect to groom as our starter a few years down the road. and dallas traded to get the patriots’ late first round pick and took…..a centre?? how weird is that? maybe if his name was pouncey but it isn’t. i guess we will find out if the kid is a good player when we beat the cowboys at home in august.

14. By D on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Stay away from Tyrann, last thing a kid with weed and party issues needs is to give him money. He should go undrafted so he has to learn to earn something in life.

D. Moore is another headcase but unlike Dion and Ziggy, Moore has sack production in college and could be a good OLB.

15. By djhegemoney on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

If Menelik Watson is available in the second round, would the Cardinals be willing to go O-Line for two straight picks at the risk of being labeled “unsexy.” I would even say they should consider trading up to go get him. It seems like Keim/Arians/Bidwill are intent on building of team of the best possible players at each position.

16. By Brandon on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Hope we draft tyrann! wouldn’t mind seeing Matt Barkley or even Teo!

17. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Easy E

I will be on board with Geno Smith…if he falls to us I would draft him this round. He won’t play this year and if Carson plays like I think he will Geno will sit for a few years a la Aaron Rodgers. QB isn’t a need in my eyes but if Geno is available and you have the chance to get him I think you do it. It’s a QB driven league and if his grade is appropriate I think Keim does it.

18. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Oscar

We drafted PP over JJ Watt…Ryan Williams was our 2nd round pick.

19. By eric on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

really like the jonathan cooper pick….would love to get eddie lacey or the db from florida international…demontre moore would be awesome too.

20. By Rich on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Two points that I hope are worthy of your reaction / opinion – one is that, if Cooper goes to the right side, you have two real young guys over there, with two veterans on the left side. Might be better to pair a young guard with a vet tackle. seocnd, no one ever mentions Sendlein perhaps being in jeopardy. Snyder looked pretty strong at center near the end of the year; and he is more versatile than Sendlein. Your thoughts on both comments?

21. By Adam on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I am just hoping they draft Eddie Lacy from Alabama. He will make our running game one of the best in the NFL. If not Mendehal is good, but I think Lacy is going to be the next Adrian Peterson

22. By Kevin on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Like the Pick last night, shows we are building through strenght… 35 reps at the combine!!! Are you kidding me?
    If Cyperian falls to us in the 2nd we should run to the posium with the card, he top 20- 25 talent, and is also an A-W clone.. If Armstead drops to the 3rd we should grab him, if he is not there then take Barrett Jones.. Take a RB, TE, or WR in the 4th and 5th. The sleeper I am very stoked to see is maybe get is David Bass, I think we could get him in the 6th and watch how he becomes a OLB tackling machine… Small school guy that has had to earn everything in life.. He is Fast, Smart, has a nasty streak, and a motor that never ends..

23. By Cactus jeff on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Cooper reminds me of Randal McDaniel. Cooper over Warmack tells us what kind of offense BA will run, high-flying. Dont be surprised if they go WR in 2nd round. Can’t imagine BA impressed with Andre Roberts and Floyd. Keenan Allen or Woods is my prediction. If right, Daren Will you upgrade my season tickets to club seats?

24. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Bill Polian’s reaction to our 1st round pick….”this was a home run pick by the Arizona Cardinals”

25. By frankie on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I think safety and cornerback are big on our need list. We have a pretty good run stop defense but we get burnt on 3rd down and big plays in our secondary. I would love to get Cyprien to full adrians shoes. Even offense would be a good pick idk about Lacy bc lets face it we are not a running team but another tight end such as Ertz would be a nice target to have just look what the patriots have done with there talented tight ends. Ether way we need to take the best players that will have an imediate impact.

26. By Richie on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

There is zero chance Honey Badger makes it out of the 2nd round. If we want him, gotta take him then.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jason,
    Thanks for correcting Oscar. Williams over Watt? All you have to do Oscar is hit draft history before posting.

As for Moore, I love those Aggies, but I think we need to go Tackle. see below.

To everyone,
    Has anyone watched a Florida International game? I really have no idea about Cyprien except what I read.

As for round two, djhegemoney is right on. did we forget we need a tackle. Dang, everyone on this board besides Easy E (wants Geno) has been yelling take one of the top tackles in the draft. yes, they weren’t available, but how does taking a guard fix tackle? Cooper fixed guard but not tackle. We still need one people. This is exactly why I would have traded down and picked up extra picks. We still need a tackle.

Wouldn’t it have been nice if we traded down to 16 (rams), then again to 29 (falcons) and took Travis Frederick to play guard/center. Then we would have 3 seconds and 3 thirds and two 4’s. Of course everyone thinks that was a horrible idea.

As someone pointed out, Brown has been one of the worst rated tackles in the NFL. So, we need to look at two talented but raw tackles. Menelik Watson and Terron Armstead. Both could be groomed behind Brown this year and then take over next. I also could see both playing guard this year and getting their feet wet.

As for cuts, I all along think the cut should be Colledge because of his 7.7 million salary cap hit this year and next. Yes, only a little is saved this year but that and Browns 6.8 next year could be off the books next year.

Round three needs to be the Honey badger. Look at our division. Percy Harvin in the slot, Tavon Austin in the slot, Mario Manningham in the slot. You better have a great slot CB to handle these guys since our safety is 35 years old.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Side/center

I still would think Sendlein stays over Snyder. As for the side, Massie has a year under his belt. Inexperience isn’t an excuse anymore.

29. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@Cactus Jeff

I’ll pay for the upgrade to club seats if you’re right if you give me you season tickets if you’re wrong.

30. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Day 2 when is Keim makes his impact:

1) Cooper fell to us nicely, very highly rated and position need. Dumb luck? Hey, its easy to screw up the easy ones, remember Buckner’s boot. Sometimes (often) the best move is to do nothing, just let it come to you. So, an attaboy to Keim, but show us what you got tonite bro!!

2) We should cut loss with Snyder, June 1 cut (spread $4m over 2 years if we see a FA to get). That allows the Young OL Guns to develop. Arians said Potter can play Guard or Tackle, Kelemete was a Tackle, don’t need Snyder. Mayock btw said Cooper can play Center, wow that’s a nugget bro/sis. Move on, admit your mistake, shows some humility, go with better, younger talent.

3)It would be Whiz style to keep Snyder, loved Whiz but too loyal, too slow to adjust sometimes. Staying course good, but gotta admit mistakes fast to keep the edge. I say Whiz as he was calling shots on personnel imho after he got new contract post SB. Young Bidwill cuts his losses with Whiz, gotta admire the young buck’s move.

Man, cold beer and popcorn tonite! Giddyup Cards.

DontTakeLosses

31. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

JTDG:

Re Colldege, good comment, am dubious on him at $7+M as well, but saw Snyder simply break own, embarrassingly. Didn’t see that a lot with Darren C. Maybe Colledge survives one more year?

Love your posts, don’t agree always but enjoy reading your opinions. Btw, wondering, do you follow Princes lead and become “Cards’ fan f/k/a JTDG” after the draft is over? Jk. Lol ;)

DTL

32. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG

My reasoning for going tackle in the first round was with the understanding that one of our tackles would move to guard and we’d upgrade 2 offensive line positions. You remember that Bobbie Massie didn’t give up a sack over the last 8 games last year, but do you remember that Levi only gave up 1 sack in the last 8 games he played? We re-signed him last year with the hope he’d made the improvements and adjustments to hold down the LT. I’m skeptical hence my desire for one of the top LT prospects this year but, they were all gone and we took a guard, at 7….hope he is who we think he is!!!

With all if that being said round 2 is a pick that we need to find guys that can compete for starting spots this year OLB, S, CB, ILB is what I’d like to see. I agree with Easy E that if Geno is there you have to have a conversation about him. I know I just contradicted myself but a possible franchise QB is my only exception. I’m open to maybe drafting a project LT later in like a Jordan Mills or Reid Fragel but I’m not a fan of OT in day 2.

Jamie Collins, Damontre Moore, Cornelius Washington, Jonathan Cyprien, Phillip Thomas, JJ Wilcox

33. By Jon Taylor on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Any idea yet if Kelemete will give Cooper #64? Im getting a new jersey and like to support our new players.

Cheers

34. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jon Taylor —

RE: Number/jersey

Hasn’t been given a number yet. But you can order his jersey here: http://bit.ly/12NstL5

35. By Mike G on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren-Hope u r enjoying the draft. I like the fact the Card’s chose a lineman in the first round. Cooper looks like a nice player and I hope the Card’s can develop him and make him a nice fit. Seems like he is good in the run game as well. I see him starting his first year playing in Snyder’s spot. Snyder would provide nice depth on the line with his ability to play multiple positions. I would also like to see a corner and a safety picked in this draft as well. Darren–Do you think it is too far-fetched to see the Card’s draft a running back in say the 2nd or 3rd rounds given Beanie’s departure and injury concerns to Williams and Mendenhall??????

36. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: RB

I could see them taking a back. Maybe not in second, but we will see.

37. By D on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Breaking News…my draft predication for round 2 and 3

Round 2: Jamie Collins OLB
    Round 3: J.J.Wilcox S

Urban: Let’s see you in the draft board room, maybe you can walk in say around 4:15

38. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

DTL

No, I still am the same name year around. As for Colledge, it is more about the money. Cooper, IMO, should go to LG. I am not a Snyder fan either. But he can serve as a back up. I would like to see a rookie tackle (2nd Round)compete with kelemete, Potter and Snyder to play RG and then push back to Left tackle next year. With Brown’s 6.8, Colledge 7.7, and Snyder’s 4 million, you wouldn’t think we need Oline man.

Jason,

Brown is not a long term answer. Brown had a nice 8 game stint but his overall career has been disappointing. With his high salary, coming off a year where he didnt play at all, it is time to start thinking about a replacement. If it is a little later, OK. Plus, I thought Potter was pretty good.I guess you can look for tackle next year with Mathews and Lewen available also.

My two favorite players in the draft are Vaccaro and Jamie Collins. Collins is the guy I would like to have.

Damontre Moore is another option. At one time, I thought he was a top 10 pick. But can he play in space? The steelers gambled with Jarvis Jones. Could be another possibility.

Geno? Mixed feelings. I believe Palmer has 3 years in him. The first INT he throws, the Geno chants will start. But truthfully, I am really surprised no one came up and got him. I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted Geno.

39. By cobra on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Solid pick in round 1. I hope we don’t draft Geno Smith at all. He showed his leadership skills in the Green Room. Poor me, I didn’t get what I wanted. Sorry JTDG, oline first as should be in this draft. Round 2 looks like D. Alot of good picks available. QB maybe round 3. If not, best to wait till next year. Then back to BPA, O or D.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Cobra,

I always believe there is good, better, and best. I don’t think good is enough if there is a chance to get to better or best.

Oline is fine and Cooper makes our team better, but was it the best choice or would trading down and adding a 2 and a 3 have been best? Obviously, I believe adding 3 extra picks to a 5-11 team is best. It has nothing to do with Cooper or adding to the oline.

41. By Andy Kw on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

2nd Round.) ILB Arthur Brown
    3rd Round.) RB Marcus Lattimore

42. By Coach Kevin on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Using the best available athlete philosophy, Cooper was clearly the best available athlete. Period. Warmack was simply not as mobile as Cooper. Today, I expect the same philosophy. If Jonathan Cyprien is there at pick #38, we must take him. If not, then next in line is Terron Armstead, the athletic tackle from Arkansas Pine-bluff. Frankly, I feel Armstead is very similar to Lane Johnson athletically.

43. By Chuck1 on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

What impresses me as much as “Coops” athletic ability is his apparent intellect i.e. he is a recipient of a 2013 ACC Postgraduate Honorary Scholarship.

Centers have to be cerebral. I can see him taking over for Sendelin (sp?) when he leaves.

Oh, and crow tastes OK. As some might recall, I said “take it to the bank” that the Cards would draft a defensive player in the first round because Keim and BA wanted a player who could make an “INSTANT IMPACT”.
    Well, they found a player who will probably start and make an instant impact.

44. By Randall on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jonathan Cooper will be Left Guard….They didnt spend 7th overall pick on a guard to make him Right Guard…..HELLO

Larry Warford in the 2nd round will be right Guard……

Daryn Colledge and Adam Snyder will definately be released…..They take up approximately 10 million in combined cap space….and together they combine for the WORST guard tandem in the NFL…..Hence, the lack of pass blocking and run blocking giving the CARDS zero chance of passing or running the ball………As far as Tackle goes, there doesnt NEED to be a tackle taken in the early rounds. A later round project would suffice just fine. Dont forget the CARDS have Levi Brown, Bobbie Massie and Nate Potter…, all of which are better than serviceable……
    My guess is the CARDS aim for the likes of Sio Moore in the third round and maybe Quanterus Smith in the 4th round….

This being said I would definately not disapprove of a 2nd round pick used on Damontre Moore or John Cyprien, I think either addition would be fantastic and would actually be excited to see the CARDS make either selection, yet I feel like the Oline has been the sore spot on the CARDS roster for a very long time. Restructuring it seems like the MOST logical means at improving the entire roster.

45. By djjackson81 on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

On the real Keim will make all the correct moves remember Cardinals decisions not fans choices. Jonathan Cyprien is our next home run if there. oLB we can still get a good in rd3. OLB I do like are Montgomery, Brown and ILB Minter. Don’t sleep on Tank or Smith either……

46. By cardsalltheway on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

djjackson81,

You could be correct about Jonathan Cyprien and/or Minter(“Mike”). Others say Eddie Lacy(RB) and Zach Ertz(TE), Stanford.

I don’t want us to repeat the 2011 draft when we took a RB in the 2nd round because they’re a dime a dozen and there WILL be one there in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds. I like Zach Ertz!!! But, the defenders would be understandable and if the 9ers don’t take Margus Hunt(DE) SMU well then???

47. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG

Yeah, we’re in agreement…I think Levi needs to be replaced sooner rather than later. I was stating that BA loves the guy and he’s starting this year. In my vision we drafted a top LT and moved Levi to RG (even though BA & Darren have said countless times he was a tackle) and possibly drafted a G or C round 4 who could challenge for a starter spot right away (Alvin Bailey). When we drafted Cooper it automatically affirmed that Levi would be our starting LT so picking a back up in round 2 when we still could pick guys who can possibly challenge for starting positions or will at least see meaningful snaps seems wasteful. That’s what day 3 is for!

Off topic but you did you like my “Training Day” quote on the other blog?

48. By DirtybirD on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Agree with Randall, Warford in the 2nd RD sounds good to me also. Get rid of Snyder and Colledge. Maybe Montgomery in the 3rd…..

49. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

TRADE!!!! I hope you’re smiling JTDG!

50. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I think it shows you that Keim felt Cooper was a player we couldn’t pass on. Now in round 2 there is no ONE player that has a grade that is a must pick so we trade down and get an extra pick.

51. By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Man, not sure if I like that pick.

52. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

“Round three needs to be the Honey badger. Look at our division. Percy Harvin in the slot, Tavon Austin in the slot, Mario Manningham in the slot. You better have a great slot CB to handle these guys since our safety is 35 years old”

Nice call.

53. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jason,

Thought it was funny but didnt know where it was from.

Trade down and still land a very good LB. Now we have two 4’s and a good player.

See, that wasnt so hard.

Of course, those patriots keep doing it. They trade down, get multiple picks and get my guy Jamie Collins. If I didnt hate them so much I would be a fan.

54. By William Barry on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

news flash, cards just picked in round 5, stephan taylor from stanford, mel kiper said he is one of the MOST underrated skills players in the draft. he runs a 4.7, but runs with power, and has great lateral vision. He will run with power, and has great feet, and runs with great vision. and has the extra speed, in his second step.

An earlier commentor said we should get him, and we did. GREAT PICK.