Honey Badger and Day 2 aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on April 26, 2013 – 10:30 pm

Well OK then.

So I was thinking it would have been interesting — very — had the Cardinals taken Manti Te’o in the second round. Instead, they traded out of the pick because they were looking at another inside linebacker in Kevin Minter, could get him later and get an extra pick, and it turned out they weren’t as close to seeking Te’o as I might’ve thought. But hey, the Cardinals made up for it by going with the NFL Draft’s other co-winner of the “huge story leading into the draft” player — Tyrann Mathieu.

There is little question Mathieu is a risk. And that’s probably an understatement. But the Cardinals know that. They have Mathieu’s mentor, Patrick Peterson, in the same locker room (and I would bet their lockers will be adjoining when all is said and done). Certainly, Mathieu can help. Bruce Arians talked about the ability for Mathieu to essentially be a secondary swingman, a free safety/nickel corner/cornerback that could stay on the field in all situations. It just feels like an all-or-nothing choice: He’s either going to be a dynamic star, or he’ll wash out because of his personal problems.

– It was fitting, I suppose, on the day LaRod Stephens-Howling officially found a new home with the Steelers, that his famous emotional conference call after he was drafted was surpassed by the tears flowing in Mathieu’s call. I mean, the Hyphen only got choked up for an answer or two. Mathieu was so emotional I wasn’t sure at first we were going to be able to understand him. I can’t blame him.

– The addition of Mathieu, with his skill set, may seal the end of the Josh Cribbs possibility. Arians at the owners meetings even talked about adding Cribbs and how great it would be to put him and Peterson back together on punt returns to mess with the opposition. Friday, Arians talked about Mathieu and Peterson doing it. I asked GM Steve Keim if Cribbs was now off the radar. “That’s something we have already explored,” Keim said. “At this point, I really can’t get any further into it, so I will leave it at that.” Watching Keim say it, it sure didn’t sound like Cribbs was coming.

– Kind of feel bad for Minter. His arrival got overshadowed quickly.

– Oh, we still have another day of the draft? Yes we do. And the Cards still have five players to take. Those first two picks in the fourth round are interesting. Now with two choices, I could see the Cards taking a flyer on one of the quarterbacks. Could they pull the trigger on Matt Barkley? I could see it. That extra pick is gravy; They were going to take Minter in the second anyway. So maybe Barkley or Ryan Nassib or Tyler Bray are in play. People loved matching Barkley and the Cardinals at No. 7 way back at the Scouting combine (which was foolish) but a fourth-round pick — one of two — could be palatable.

– The Cards likely will take a running back at some point. Johnathan Franklin is available. I know people bring up Marcus Lattimore and it is a great and inspirational story. But I know I wouldn’t touch a guy who already has blown out two ACLs, especially  a running back.

– I still expect the Cards to at least think about adding a pass rusher project tomorrow, and a pure speed deep threat receiver.

HoneyAftermathUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Honey Badger and Day 2 aftermath”

1. By Oscar on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Idk about you guys but I’m loving this draft so far. I said we too Williams over Watt i meant Reed in a previous post. Still Reed over Williams would’ve been beneficial, even if Ryan follows me on twitter… ayyyyy

It took Warner a few years to do what he did in 08-09 (my senior year) Lets hope it takes Palmer a few months…

2. By Mr Robles on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

EXTREMELY HAPPY with the draft Great Job BA Keim Wow Wow cant wait to see us play Awesome Awesome

3. By Samir on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

What’s going on? How come the three players the cards drafted are the only three players whose videos were posterd on the 17th? Seems like cards knew exactly who they were going to pick. Freak accident or something there?

4. By tbru on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

We know about Peterson and Mathieu’s friendship, any information on how Minter and Honey Badger’s relationship, when they were teammates?

5. By Erik on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

i wish they had 3 or maybe 4 fourth rounders.. alot of players i still like.. Ryan Swope, Cornelius Washington, Quinton Patton, Barret Jones, Jonathan Franklin, Andre Ellington, Phillip Thomas… just to name a few.

6. By sqhead on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I hope they don’t draft a QB at all.

7. By sbrown on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

NFL Draft – Day 3, here we go…

R-4 Alex Okafor DE , Texas or D. Quissenberry OT , San Jose St. or Chase Thomas OLB , Stanford
    R-5 Zeke Motta SS , Notre Dame
    R-6 Zac Stacy RB , Vanderbilt
    R-7 Brandon Thurmond OLB , Ar Pine Bluff or Nick Clancy ILB Boston College.

Day 3 fills roster with some back ups, and special team type guys.

8. By wayne on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

With out getting too too excited, this has be one of the best starts in a draft (1st 3 rnds) that the Cardinals have had in sometime. I know we don’t have a clue how a draft is till 2-3 yrs but in my opinion
    not only did we draft 3 very talented and highly rated players, we filled three missing pieces to having a competitive team. Did you hear or watch Kurt Warner ” Cardinals had the best day today “.
    How do feel after 3 rounds ?

9. By Omar on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I love this Tyrann Mathieu pick i think he’s going to be a very good player oh this team if he can stay out of trouble hopefully he will.

10. By Eazy E on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I love that we got the Honey Badger but hate that we passed up Geno. I think we’ll regret it and now I wouldn’t even ”waste” a pick on a QB now because 2014′ class is awesome. Tajh Boyd, A.J. McCarron, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Football to name a few. Honey Badger, depending on how he plays, could start opposite Patrick Peterson. Cason and Powers are gonna have their hands full with this guy though. RB is still needed now that the Hyphen has unfortunately moved on, TE, T(Both Sides) and maybe still a G, OLB and S. I do like Barkley, but for Arians’ system, he doesn’t fit very well. A deep ball system and his deep ball is questionable. He is really good short and intermediate though. I liken Lattimore a little to AD. Just a touch because of the style of running and the way he runs and I would like us to draft him even though we already have 2 injury-prone backs on the roster even though I like both. Lattimore had his share of injuries unfortunately and it would be risky, but what draft pick isn’t?

11. By Corgon on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

OK, so J. Brinkley will have a great, productive year, because with the Minter pick he’ll be on the market very soon after the season. Motivational one year contract :)

12. By exatraz on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

How about Stephan Taylor out of Stanford as a RB? I think he could come to us in a good spot and I loved and hated watching him run for Stanford. He was a complete beast with an underwhelming combine. I think he would be a solid add.

13. By exatraz on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Honestly I really like Stephan Taylor for a good RB choice and the way picks have been falling I already think we can get him for a steal late in the 4th or with our 5th.

14. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

“Instead, they traded out of the pick because they were looking at another inside linebacker in Kevin Minter, could get him later and get an extra pick, and it turned out they weren’t as close to seeking Te’o as I might’ve thought.”

And that is sad. The ONLY the good thing is the extra pick but that doesn’t mean Minter is better than Te’o. Could the extra pick be better than Minter or Te’o? We’ll see???

“But hey, the Cardinals made up for it by going with the NFL Draft’s other co-winner of the “huge story leading into the draft” player — Tyrann Mathieu.”

To draw attention away from the first mistake?.

“The addition of Mathieu, with his skill set, may seal the end of the Josh Cribbs possibility.”

I was never a Cribbs fan but I’d prefer him over Mathieu.

“Kind of feel bad for Minter. His arrival got overshadowed quickly.”

I don’t,I’m used to it for it seems to be the AZ Cardinals MO.

“and I would bet their lockers will be adjoining when all is said and done.

How cozy! What would fans have said if Te’o had an adjoining locker with him or whoever?

“Mathieu was so emotional I wasn’t sure at first we were going to be able to understand him.”

What if we’d picked Te’o and he was that “emotional”?

AZ Cardinals – the team(Keim) that left Te’o behind(and signed Honey Badger)!

“Could they pull the trigger on Matt Barkley? I could see it.”

He is not better than any or our current 3 QB’s!!! What a waste of a draft pick!!!!!!

“That extra pick is gravy;”

How can you/anyone talk about drafting a 3rd QB without mentioning Brian Hoyer?

Don’t you remember Keim saying we can’t afford to waste draft picks??? So, is it okay now that we traded down? I hope Keim ain’t already expecting a mulligan.:(

” I still expect the Cards to at least think about adding a pass rusher project tomorrow, and a pure speed deep threat receiver.”

We could have already done that, don’t you think?

15. By ored on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

brandon jenkins,olb fl.st.would work at pass rusher,j.franklin or gillislee at rb,would also like to find a sleeper at te.

thought i remember seeing an asu reciever with 4.3-4.4 speed.

possible we get sanchez from the jets for peanuts and let ba rewire him?

16. By Andrew on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

GREAT PICK by the Cardinals! Great draft so far. Lets keep it up Cardinals and have a strong day 3.

17. By D on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Franklin for sure. The remaining OLB are all projects/special teamers. Maybe select Chase from Stanford because of size and smarts, but he doesn’t have the twitch for a speed rusher, should be good against the run. I would take Landry Jones in the 5th round as our 3rd QB for this year.

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Tbru —

RE: Minter/Mathieu

Since both were on the team in 2010 and 2011, I assume that’s when they were teammates.

19. By aaron on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I was a fan of Alex Okafor in the 2nd. I’d be stoked if they could land him in the 4th. I’ve been against the idea Of drafting a QB this year after trading for Palmer, but I don’t see how you pass on Barkley in the 4th. Okafor and Barkley would make for a good 4th round, I’d say.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Draft

I feel like I always do. Makes some sense, but I never really feel too strong one way or the other. The Cards have had many “good” drafts that don’t pan out, or questionable picks that turn out OK. I’ve always been a wait-and-see guy.

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Thoughts

And I’ll say it again, I have no idea why you bother following this team. Or my writing, for that matter.

22. By Coach Kevin on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Alex Okafor of Texas would be sweet at pick 103, and then add David Bakhtiari the athletic Tackle with pick 110 in round four. I also like that Center from California as well at pick 110. Okafor gives them the edge rusher. He was projected as a late first round, high second round pick. Don’t know why he slid so far? I still like Tony Jefferson in round 5, Zac Stacy in round 6, and either Jake Stoneburner or Sean Renfree in round 7. This is the day the Cardinals can add quality depth and maybe a starter. Lots a great athletes left on the board in round four.

23. By Andy Kw on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I will have to say, I don’t feel the Cardinals did the right thing drafting Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd Round. I am pretty sure he would have dropped high on the 4th round.

I would have preferred:
    Round 1.) OG Jonathan Cooper
    Round 2.) LB Kevin Minter
    * Round 3.) WR Keenan Allen
    -He was projected to be a first round pick and he dropped to the 3rd but we passed on him, I am really disappointed
    Round 4.) CB Tyrann Mathieu
    -I am pretty certain he would have dropped here.

24. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

“Mathieu was so emotional I wasn’t sure at first we were going to be able to understand him. I can’t blame him” Love this kid, America is about second chances… great risk reward pick by Cards. He’ll have the support he needs to succeed. I was appalled during the conference call. He was bawling and you guys asked him, (not exact recall here), twice or three different ways about personal and contractual aspects of his drug use. Okay, understandable. But then (not certain who), but Sommers asked “Polian said he would never never draft you, in any round…” re drugs, character yada yada yada)..” how do you react?” Mathieu handled it with aplomb, an offensive and embarrassingly tabloid like question that had no place in this context. I was offended, even if the rook was a man about it, showing not a hint of chagrin. Shame on Sommers. Good move to exclude him from future calls. Can’t imagine Darren didn’t choke on that Q as well.

Best line all weekend, from Minter, when asked how do you characterize your play on the field: “I’m all about business”. Lol. Head buster.

Dang good day 2 my brothers and sisters. 2 potentially high impact players, 3 in the flock now.

25. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

Is “cardsalltheway” the foil to make you look good? I was wondering if he was actually Josh Weinfuss (sp?) under a different pen name so you could chop him up! Lol.

26. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

Wonder how Minter fits with Jaspar B. and DWash, after the 1st 4 games. Will all 3 be on field routinely? Arians expects high draft picks to play, so what are their positions with all on field?

27. By scottcitizen on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

RE: Deep threat

Whats the likelyhood we’d take a look at Marquess Wilson?

28. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

If only Flagstaff and Glendale had agreed to every Bidwill etc…whim and desire aye? If only all fans were similar or the same, just like you wished them to be huh?

29. By Big D on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren I love the picks so far and I think this is the best situation for The honey badger. I think if he had gone to another team it would be difficult for him to escape his past, kudos to Kiem and BA for trusting Peterson.

30. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Troy P is 5’10” 205 and for a while was considered one of the best safeties in the game.

Tyrann M. is 5’9″ 190. Although I don’t think the Cards want to say it, I think they hope Mattieu will have a similar role as Palamalo if he can stay clean. he has the skill set if he can add some muscle.

-With Johnson, Mattieu, and Powers is makes for a short secondary. But then again St. Louis just got shorter in their receiving corp. Harvin is not tall and with Moss gone 49ers are not as long either. Weird how these things are cyclical.

-Wouldn’t be surprise to see the Cards go with a Tackle-to-be-turned-RG early Saturday i.e. Faulk. Also Cornelius Washington is still on the board. He is kind of a poor mans Ansah. Great straight line speed but not as quick laterally. Played injured in 2012 and I think it hurt his stock but looked good at the senior bowl. Gholston is also there and he is more of an oversized OLB in my book, kind of like Shaughnessy. He under performed in 2012 but he has all of the skill.

-Also I would follow Ware out of LSU. He is the type of back the Cards like. Maybe 6th round.

-There are also a handful of solid DL still on the board and I could see the Cards using a 5th or 6th to pick one up. Akeem Spence to push Dockett, or maybe one of the big NT that are still there.

-I know word is they are content with TE but there are also some solid TE/HB options still on the board.

-Could see them taking one of the QBs left but I would rather they went elsewhere. I know for you Darren this is a long day but for some of us this is like our Superbowl.

31. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Brinkley/Minter

We’ll have to see. Someone has to be the backup.

32. By Peter in Canada on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

There is no doubt that the 2 areas that have caused us to fall so far down from the SB team are QB and OL. Palmer is certainly an upgrade over Anderson, Leinart, Skelton and all the other no-hopers who have started since 2009 and at the cost, a real bargain. Our Oline is also looking better with an improved Massie a healthy Brown and a great prospect in Cooper. I think we have done a good job in a short time and will be competitive in what has become a tough division.

33. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Thanks D. With your help I get thumbs down, until you did so I’ve barely had any. However, I’ve seen others get many thumbs down but you don’t usually so obviously attack them. Nice job D! I don’t agree with the 2nd and 3rd round picks, shame on me. If anyone else doesn’t then go find another team to root for.

34. By SeeingRed on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I agree with DTL and the other fans-LOVE the picks so far and especially getting Tyrann M-AKA The Honey Badger.

I really hope the local media doesn’t keep badgering (no pun intended) him about his past. Let’s take him at his word and move on to his play on the field. Let’s not forget also that PTwice is his FRIEND not his babysitter and not ask him tons of questions about the doings of Tyrann. We don’t need Patrick distracted unnecessarily-we need him focused on covering M Crabtree better this year (smile).

Hopefully we don’t touch a QB at all or at least not until the 6th or 7th (i wouldn’t even then) because BA was right in saying we had very good QB room as is.

We still really need a RB-especially considering our main two have injury histories.

Still need DE, S, T, G, OLB, ILB.

We need bodies in the trenches!

Let’s do it Front Office! Go Cards.

35. By Jason on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

Do you not like our receiving options? Fitz, Roberts, Floyd and Housler? Picking a WR on day 2 when our receiving corps is a strength seems like a bad plan if there are other players with similar grades available. We still have positional needs at edge rusher before we start drafting luxury picks. If Keenan Allen had a first round Cardinal grade we would’ve probably drafted him but I’m assuming we didn’t like him as much as the rankings you were referencing.

36. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I think OLB Alex Okafor was the highest rated player on my smartphone at the time (NFL.com best available prospects), nice pick team? I should’ve been a scout.

37. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Nice trade down with the Giants. We moved down a few spots(110 to 116) in the 4th and picked up an extra 6th round pick(187). At the time or when we were up, Zac Dysert and Tyler Wilson were the only QB’s on the “Best Available Prospects” and NY took Ryan N. hehehe. However, we do need OL, what are we doing waiting so long? Are we just going to be satisfied with what we got, we wouldn’t want to improve it too much now would we? Can we pick and move OT’s Aboushi Oday(Virgina) or Reid Fragel(Ohio St.) to guard?

If we pick a QB we’ll end up with another Batiste type again if anyone(or two) on the OL gets injured.

38. By clssylssy on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Pretty good picks so far BUT, what about our offense. I like the players we picked up, but G, CB, S? Yes, we definitely need to fix the defense and I love the LSU football program; Les Miles consistently turns out quality NFL players. I think Cooper will help the Offense but what about an OT, RB, TE? I would have liked to get Monty Ball (Broncos) or Eddie Lacy (Packers) or Fluker (Chargers),,,
    The Cards traded their first 4th rounder to the Giants who picked up Nassib (QB) and we got a 6th rounder?? Landry Jones (QB) was still on the board and went to the Steelers and we took another OG?.
    This is the point where I’m getting so frustrated I can’t stand to watch this anymore!

39. By Dougb on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Happy Happy Happy. Wonder when we can buy cardinal jerseys with last name of “Honey Badger ” on the back? If he is able to stay on the field, he’ll bring some “Swag” to our D. Okafor falling to us, was awesome. One scout called him A BAD BAD MAN! Plus look at the extra picks we are getting and we are still getting quality… Keim is going to be GM to watch.

40. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Earl Watford(OG), NICE!!! Let’s get a RB next to take over for Ryan Williams when he gets hurt. We can rely on William Powell, Rashard Mendenhall(?), Alfonso Smith, and Anthony Sherman(FB). I know that’s brutal but I do hope they all stay healthy. Nonetheless, we’ll need someone to run with William Powell unless we run him to death in preseason again and sit him down afterwards. How about Randle Joseph(RB) Oklahoma St. or Andre Ellington(RB) Clemson?

41. By Smitty on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Did we pick up an extra 5th from the Giants?

42. By Seeredinnc on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I hope none of you forgot about William Powell!!!! Dude is a very good running back, he finds gaps and was our most productive back next to Hyphen! And he didn’t even get many opportunities!! Maybe get a RB in the 5th, 6th, or 7th.

43. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Smitty —

RE: Trade

An extra sixth.

44. By Rico Suave on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

GREAT PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prove everybody wrong HONEY BADGER….

45. By Derek DeVore on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Really pleased with Cardinals!! So far we are getting play makers. We need to be a tougher team with attitude. It seems coach “A” is heading that direction. The NFC West is growing into a much improved teams. We need to catch up!!!
    GO BIG RED!!!!!!!

46. By William Barry on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Okafor will add punch to our pass rush….GREAT PICK HERE!!!!!! he was initially rated a #1 pick.

WHAT A STEAL IN THE 4TH ROUND. GO JOB, KEIM.

47. By exatraz on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t I suggest to this earlier today (I know I did before the draft to everyone I talked to)!

48. By Kevin S on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I like the Mathieu selection. Yes, he has off the field issues, but AZ is the perfect place to leave that behind… not nearly as much media scrutiny locally and to the national media we are non-existent. He’s got PP to support him and guys like Fitz to show him how to be a class act and a good football player at the same time. (By the way, saw Cooper at the DBacks game last night and he seemed to be having a blast… happy to be in AZ.)

49. By iammattyoung on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Is there a chance the Cards are switching to a 4-3? Okafor is MUCH better suited at DE, given his average speed. A front line of Campbell, Williams, Dockett, Okafor would be really nice, with Washington, Brinkley/Minter, and Acho behind them. It just doesn’t seem like we have the personnel to run the 3-4 (namely a speed rusher at OLB).

50. By iammattyoung on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

A couple of things I’m not living about this draft.

1. Trading down in the 4th round to take Earl Watford, but missing out on Barrett Jones! Jones is more versatile, played at a higher level in college, and had better success. What the heck? What’s more, we take Watford over a guy like Khaseem Greene, who was arguably the most productive linebacker in college football last year. AHH!!

2. Taking Minter over Tank Carradine. If we are indeed sticking with a 3-4, we need a quality OLB to attack the QB. Carradine could have been that guy. Instead, the niners get him. Huh?

3. We go for the “risky” pick with Tyrann Mathieu at a position where we have tons of personnel (Cason/PP/Powers/Fleming) when Damontre Moore is still on the board. Moore is also risky, but he potentially fulfills either the DE or OLB need that we have.

4. Why haven’t we taken a safety!? As far as I can tell, Rashard Johnson and Yeremiah Bell are the only ones we have.

51. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@Kevin S,

“He’s got PP to support him and guys like Fitz to show him how to be a class act and a good football player at the same time.”

Agreed, I can’t think of a better situation for him to be in.

52. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

iammattyoung —

RE: Scheme

Not this season. They are sticking with 3-4.

53. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

iammatt —

RE: Safety

Mathieu is going to play safety.

54. By Seeredinnc on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Iammatt-

Mathieu is gonna be all over our secondary, swingman if you will because of his playmaking ability!!! The players you mentioned are all legit corners, but when we run nickel or dime D, we are going to benefit from him being on the field! Also, ppl seem to forget that in just two seasons at LSU, he was an All-American and DPOY ( as a frosh) and a Hiesman finalist! If it wasn’t for his past problems, he would have been a first round draft pick!

55. By eric on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

love these 2 LSU tigers!!…..honey badger a beastly steal.

56. By iammattyoung on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Great responses everyone. Thanks!

57. By georgiebird on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Agree with you on “wait and see” to judge a draft. However, one thing that seems clear-both Keim and BA feel the Cardinals have to get a lot more physical to play in the West. Almost all the choices seem to be tough “thick body” guys who won’t get pushed around starting with Cooper and Minter.
    I hope Matthieu works out because he gives us the talent, swagger and marquee presence to deal with Kaepernick and Wilson.

58. By rufus on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Love this draft so far and trading down to get extra picks. The major issue I do have is Mathieu, who has a lot of character and maturity issues. I am not sure any other team was going to spend a 3rd round pick on someone like him. Hope we can pick up Matt Scott as a FA and get someone local on the Cardinals.

59. By Eazy E on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I see you took ol’ boy’s comment down? #What an Idiot

60. By Ginger on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    Do you know if Mathieu is going to wear #7 for the Cards this year? ESPN’s site has him as #7 (his college number), but it seems like most of our DBs wear 20s numbers. Any idea?
    Thanks!
    -Ginger

61. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Ginger —

RE: Jersey numbers

The entire roster is updated with jersey numbers for all the draftees:

62. By Ginger on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Darren :)

63. By Pete Dowdle on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I know a lot’s already been said about T. Mathieu, but I don’t know that enough can be said. This kid missed last year for a substance abuse issue, not because of some violent crime, and people across the nation vilified him for it. R. Lewis, J. Lewis, M. Vick, and so many others stood convicted in criminal courts of having done so much worse, and then they returned to the NFL, had great moments thereafter, and all was seemingly forgiven. This kid deserves a chance to become something good BEFORE he proves his nay-sayers that he belongs in the League!

I was really happy to see the Cardinals organization draft Mathieu, not only because of his skill-set and such, but because it reflects on them and their belief that, with a team effort that includes Patrick Peterson, they would like to see a guy rise from the ashes, so to speak, and become what his potential would suggest. This isn’t the first time the Card’s have given a guy a shot, whether it be someone like Warner or another like Dockett (two totally different back-stories, but both had to overcome a lot to show that they belonged on the field and off the field, respectively), and it makes me a proud fan to see them stick their neck out for someone they believe in.

2. May 6, 2013: Pro Football Zone | Josh Cribbs’ future is up in the air