• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Time for some draft aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2013 – 5:42 pm

Some quick wrap-up notes after the draft, before I take my neglected sons to dinner:

– The Cardinals, obviously, did not take a quarterback. Keim admitted he had talked long about about subscribing to the theory he wanted to draft a QB every year. “I really still believe in that,” Keim said. So what happened?

“The difference is that our two draft choices came through free agency with Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton,” Keim said. “So we didn’t feel like that was a necessary move that we needed to make. Quite frankly, the way the board shook out, the quarterback at no point was the top player on our board. So it made the decision quite easy.”

That means Brian Hoyer and his potential $2 million salary is safe for now. I’d think a trade might still be possible for the Cards, but post-draft, it’d be tough. Of course, if the Cards were to sign an interesting undrafted rookie QB, that could change.

– Speaking of the undrafted rookies, that list will grow into the evening and names will leak. (I won’t be keeping constant watch; the official list will likely be released Monday.) Already, Oklahoma safeties Javon Harris and Tony Jefferson have tweeted out they are coming to the Cardinals. San Jose State cornerback Ronnie Yell tweeted the same as did Florida A&M defensive lineman Padric Scott. Tony Pauline reports the Cards also got Arizona receiver Dan Buckner. Keim said he expected to sign 15 undrafted rookies.

– The Cardinals want to get another nose tackle/defensive tackle. That didn’t present itself in the draft, so Keim said the Cards will not only look at it among the undrafted rookies but also with veteran free agents and possible cap casualties as we head toward training camp.

– The weekend gave the Cards some options at return men. They have Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Andre Ellington and maybe Stepfan Taylor.

– As for the overall haul Saturday? It’s always wait-and-see for me. I can’t get very emotional because it’s impossible to know. On the surface, I like getting the speed receiver Ryan Swope assuming he can stay healthy. I like adding fresh bodies to the running back room. I definitely like the possibilities of interviewing tight end D.C. Jefferson, assuming he can prove he can play. I hope Okafor can do some things as a pass rusher because that’s still a segment of the Cards’ defense that leaves some question marks. But that’s enough for now. We have a whole offseason to analyze.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

92 Responses to “Time for some draft aftermath”

1. By Steve on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Thanks for a super job covering this draft!

2. By Joseph on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Why would they pass up Te-o just to take another ILB with their pick?
    Makes no sense to pass up a player with that much potential.

3. By iammattyoung on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

One questions, one comment:

Q: What does the addition of the two running backs mean for the backs we re-signed: W.Powell and A.Smith? (maybe we didn’t re-sign Alphonso).

Thrilled to hear that Tony Jefferson is coming to the Cards as a UFA. I’ve watched almost every OU game during Jefferson’s career there, and the guy was the leader of that defense even in his freshman year. He’s got the smarts, the build, and the leadership to potentially end up like an Adrian Wilson 2.0, and I am shocked that he wasn’t drafted.

4. By Elijah on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Very pleased with the Cards draft. Hard to give it an A given we ended up taking an OG (albeit a very very good one) top 10. Of course that was partially just that Coop’s a great fit for need and system, and partially due to it being a draft lacking in blue chippers. Still, I’d give it a solid B+.

5. By Wnycardfan on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I really liked the draft, thought they did a good job with it. I’m looking forward to this year more thane ever.

6. By AZ2Ga32 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Great draft redbird!!!!!!!!!!

7. By canadian redbird on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I thought that the first 4 picks were stellar, however sometimes trading down especially in the middle rounds to get an extra 6th or 7th doesn’t make sense. Its a gamble sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t and I think the move in the 2nd to trade down probably worked. Who’s to say another wouldn’t have picked Minter in the 7 spots that we moved down, if that’s who they were targeting. The trade down in the 4th I think bit them in the butt, they should have taken Barret Jones with their original pick vs. trading down and having to pick Watford. Now Kiem and Arians apparently love Watford, but what are they supposed to say. Jones, would have been insurance in case Sendelin goes down again, and a nice fill in for a guard position.
    I think the best value pick of the draft was Okafor. however time will tell.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Joseph –

RE: Teo

They like Minter better as a player. Would have taken Minter over Teo even without the trade.

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

iammatt –

RE: Powell/Alfonso

Probably nothing good.

10. By Ricardo C. on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I’m sorry but I just would not feel safe with teo after the Alabama game I know players have bad games but I mean he got torched and Milner has been playing and been playing really good against competition like Alabama and he produced not got ran over I like minter better then teo..

11. By Andy Kw on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Our team now has a stronger defense and stronger offense so nicely done:
    -With the drafting of Wartford and Cooper, our Offensive Line is already improving for the better. This team needs to let go of OGs Adam Snyder and Daryn Colledge. Colledge is my guy to miss as he was the healthy one for the past 2 seasons but we are in a new era and Colledge/Snyder were the guards that were ineffective on the run game and allowed NFL High 58 Sacks. Colledge and Snyder should be cut and we have to make way for the rookies.
    Offensive Line: L.Brown, E.Wartford, L.Sendlein, J.Cooper, B.Massie
    Our run game will be much better and our passing game will be much better.
    -Carson Palmer just got more weapons so there is no reason for this team to fail.

12. By Jason on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Alright people I got thumbs down for my last post so I’m going to clarify. I have no reason to dislike anyone that we picked. I think it was, on paper, a great draft for Keim in his first time at the helm. I think all 9 picks make the roster and 7 of them will play positive meaningful snaps for us this year with 3 if them being in the starting line up. Not too shabby! I wish we would’ve picked up another edge rusher…Collins in the 2nd it Washington in the 6th. Just my opinion. As I said I have zero problems with the players we got. Super excited for the season.

13. By a kill3r kr3w on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren, how about Ryan Swope? I really like that pick I just feel like he could keep his eyes looking ahead of him while on the run, seems like he tends to break his neck seeing who is closing in or about to tackle him, also, love tyrann in the 3rd, totally caught me off guard even tho I was championing this pick last year. I really hope Peterson stays in punt return formation. Also, what does the Swope pick mean for Andre Roberts exactly? I used to think Andre was more of a temporary pass catcher, but after the last 2 seasons I feel like he has taken a lot from Fitz and is coming along as a true pro and very productive WR.

14. By OttisAndersonFan on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

While you may have had to neglect your sons for a while, don’t loose sight that it the source of that neglect that in part allows you to take them to dinner. We all have to work to pay for our play.

15. By red bird of death! on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Two running backs was a little over the top? One ok, 2 why? Just sayn……. Anyone ?

16. By Chuck 1 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Were you or any of the other Cards’ media people in the draft room during the draft and if so, for how long?
    Also,, if so, were there any things that you can tell us?

17. By Campbells on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Great draft. Cards did a very good job.
    Glad we avoided getting sucked in to drafting a mediocre QB. We can do that next year, when the prospects have more potential.
    As for the trades; I believe we needed the extra picks, due to all the areas of need.
    Hate hearing about how great Seattle and SF are. Looking forward to our guys stepping up, and defeating our rivals.
    Pretty excited about this season.

18. By Campbells on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

19. By Jerrytown on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Agreed. The highlight videos were a nice touch too.

20. By Dynosoar on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Well, the draft is over. Now on to training camp to see how well the draft worked for us. Then it’ll be on to pre-season to see how the draft worked for us. Then on to the regular season to see how the draft worked for us.

What a fun three days. That pic of Cooper from the Combine in the middle of all the drafties, he’s massive. Look at those shoulders. We need a pick of all our drafities in one shot in gear.

21. By Jerrytown on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Agreed, but the draft is a crap shoot anyway. Might as well grab as many players as you can hoping they pan out. Even if you have depth at the position, worst case scenario they leave and sign a big contact elsewhere giving you the opportunity to get compensatory picks. It’s actually refreshing to see a front office willing to trade around and play the draft rather than Graves’s philosophy of “letting the picks fall to them.”

22. By sbrown on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Great first draft in the “big boy chair” for Keim. dropped down a couple of times and got two extra picks, did not reach for a player. Filled a need with Cooper, Minter, Okafor. Swope has big speed to streach the field. Taylor and Ellington to add depth for the RB’s, Watford a solid O-Line player, Jefferson at TE big, strong very athletic just the type to fit into BA’s “two TE offense”, and Mathieu, a Heisman finalist big play guy to go against the great WR’s in the division…WOW what a great first draft now looking to mini-camp and the start of training camp … GO CARDS !

23. By Red Seer on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

This was a draft deep in solid football players. So i’m glad we finally started moving around in the draft because we were able to add more picks in a year where good football players were going even in the 7th. LOVE that we’re finally being active in trades instead of being so conservative. (especially since SF, SEA and STL are all suddenly wheeling and dealing experts)

I should have predicted us getting Tyrann Mathieu, forget about the Peterson connection, Bruce Arians has that Rex Ryan/Jerry Jones attitude where he wants to make a big splash or take a flashy player like we certainly did with Mathieu. I did end up correctly predicting us getting a big, pass protecting RB late and a burner receiver. I only predicted one RB though.

24. By Christo on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

We killed this draft #Birdgang

We got safe OG / C talent in Cooper and Watford. For our new soon to be announced zone blocking scheme.

We got 2 new 3 down RB’s to go with injury prone RB’s. Both Mendenhall and Williams can get it done, if they can stay healthy; now our bets are covered.

We got a speed WR to stretch the field.

We got great ILB and OLB help with Minter and Okafor.

We are off to a great start.

25. By azbobbyb on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Hey guys, would it make sense to explore the possibility of trading a high 2014 (not #1) to the Jaquars for Eugene Monroe, their current left tackle, now that they picked up Joeckle. Apparently Monroe is a free agent after the 2013 season and will now probably explore other options. Is he worth pursuing? Don’t know much about him.

26. By cards4sb on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

The one word that keeps resinating with me about this draft is CHEMISTRY. The whole thing with Peterson, Minter, and Mathieu all having played at LSU together along with the mentoring of Mathieu by Peterson ( something tells me Fitzgerald will take him under his wing a bit too ) Then we have Acho and Okafor having played together at Texas where Okafor was mentored by Acho…..So many other small examples of how I see the chemistry building in the nest. This is a very good thing. Very happy and satisfied. I have never trusted the GM and coach more from this team. Go cards!!!!!!

Congrats to D-Wash for cracking the top 100 at 94!! Next year I see him moving hire up the list!!

27. By louis on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

here we go again 5 11 no quarterback an no coach.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

a kill3r –

RE: Roberts

I don’t know if it means anything. Swope a) is a 6th-round pick and b) is one of five potential receivers in a league where you need at least four. We’ll see how it plays out. Roberts is also entering the last year of his contract. We’ll see how it plays out.

29. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

RE: Draft room

I wasn’t.

30. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Read above:

” Colledge and Snyder should be cut and we have to make way for the rookies. Offensive Line: L.Brown, E.Wartford, L.Sendlein, J.Cooper, B.Massie.”

This is #1 question going into season. No real idea how good these new guys are but I’m pressed with attitude and athleticism (unlike what we got). Colledge adn Snyder are gritty professionals, but seem broken down a bit. I am very optimistic based on coaching change in this key area. Imagine if we do start 3 OL 1st or 2nd year and have two 2nd year backups.

The number 2 question: who in the hell will start at the 4 LB positions? We have a boat load of them, no idea who will prevail. This is going to be exciting to see them compete is all I can think.. and that some talent could emerge. Remember all the 1 year contract guys? Survival skills should bring out some talent.

Third: have we assembled a lot of talent at RB and at DB? Sure seems so.

The X- factor? That 4.34 slot kid.. omg! Can you see C. Palmer lofting a bomb or two his way? me too bro. Giddyup BadAss, its on you now big dog.

31. By fightingbird on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I thought we still had 3 RBs Williams ,Powell,,Smith but with those 3, I think the
    front office people and some coaches still have a little ”I’m not sure going on” that’s one reason Mendenhall came to the Cardinals and probably why the other two was drafted. For example look at our WR core but we still took a WR. We have to get better and it seems they are trying.

32. By tyman on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Team looks way improved!
    Good job Kiem, BA, and Mr Bidwill

33. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Great Draft. A good combination of addressing need and athleticism.
    The Cards are off to great start with this new coaching staff. I would like to see if we can still make a post-draft move at getting another Oline Tackle to build depth at that position. That hurt us last year.
    Look out NFC West.
    “We beat the 49ers, Hawks and Rams before and we will beat them again”
    Looking forward to this year.

34. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Pretty good draft but, geez, sure glad it’s over! Funny how what was once exciting becomes stressful as a person gets older…lol! Would have LOVED to have Monty Ball and when he went to the Broncos (after the Cards passed on him), I felt pretty spot on in my opinion of him but then was much relieved to get two RBs towards the end. A good ground game is vital for a good offense and even in this passing league having depth at that position is an area the Cards have been weak. I really hope that W. Powell & Alfonso don’t get kicked to the curb in place of these new guys, who are new and green. We seem to have a lot of trouble keeping RBs healthy and could see the merit in a rotational system similar to the Saints. Was also thrilled we picked up another TE as I love the multiple TE schemes being used by the 9ers, not that BA would ever do something like that but at least it’s an option. Glad to hear that Hoyer probably isn’t going anywhere as I had heard he was possibly being traded. He is much better than Lindley and having depth at QB is good insurance. I just read an article that graded the Cards draft an “A” which is encouraging although the NFC West is now considered the toughest division in the NFL and I expect the 9ers and Hags to be battling for 1&2 for sometime to come.

35. By Coach Kevin on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Great job Steve, except for round 7. Don’t understand that pick considering there was better tight end talent available. But despite the seventh round head scratcher, it was an excellent draft.

36. By sbrown on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Great Draft, the entire Front Office did a great job on their scouting of players, Keim and staff on setting their Top 120 Board , Ariens and his coaching staff now have plenty of new talented players to plug in at mini camp / training camp. Now the focus is get the new drafted players signed and in camp, and Ariens and staff begin to mold them into Cardinals ! My only question…what new jersey do I buy for this season ??? , too many great choices :)

37. By Brian on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy-

I agree, I would have loved for the Cardinals to have Montee Ball as well. I’m a huge Badger fan and watched all of his games in college. But the Cards passed on him(as did a number of other RB needy teams) because he wasn’t worth a high 2nd round pick to us because we had other more pressing needs at the time. Rumor was that we contacted him Saturday morning and I’m guessing if he was still around when we picked in the third round, we might have taken him. But unfortunately, RB was not a 2nd round need. From a Cardinals standpoint, I agree with the choice to pass on him in the 2nd round, but you were spot on with your assessment though, best RB in the draft in my totally unbiased opinion ;)

But we still got two very talented RBs though. A nice power/speed combo. Lot of people were shocked Ellington dropped to where we got him.

38. By Chuck 1 on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I agree with most fans (and the Bleacher Report analyst) who believe that Keim and BA deserve an A+ rating for their draft. Did they fill all of the team’s needs? NO!!! e.g. speed pass rusher and DT. However, with only so many picks and so many needs, they could only do so much.

I believer that it will take one more FA period and draft to accomplish the complete makeover of the roster that was left to Keim and BA by Graves and Whiz.

After those 2014 player acquisition periods, the roster will be on a par with the 9ers and “Hawks.

39. By SteveG on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

The draft looks very promising at first look, (but let’s see in 3 years)..I was struck by the intelligence and poise of the vast majority of these young men, in particular Mr. Cooper that seemed so very comfortable in his new circumstances. If he plays as smart as he speaks we will be very well served.

Smart players have the habit of compensating for weaknesses..(Fitz is not “fast” by NFL WR standards but anyone see a weakness?) and a great deal can be offset by intelligent emphasis of strengths and good coaching..

I see we are still the last place team in the NFC West per the pundits…Let’s see in December bout’ that!

40. By Cactus jeff on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Job well Darren, you did a great job. Also enjoyed the opinions of several of the Birdgang. I still think the Cards will protect Docket and CC more with more 4-3 looks or greater rotations along the DL. Remember, with a fresh CC and Docket they blew up the Eagles and beat the Pats in NE. Don’t count the redbirds out, the roster looks loaded. This defense has more talent than the sea chickens and is equal to the Niners. Special teams, I’ll take the Cards. Offense, hard to know since the Card haven’t had an NFL caliber QB. If Floyd can make a jump in production like Crabtree did last year, the Cards are close.

41. By eric on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

this draft class tells me two things…
    1-this current group leading the charge is serious about NOW,not two yrs down the line but RIGHT NOW.
    2-BA must really feel confident about what he has in drew stanton because there were opportunities to draft a QB and they passed.

42. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

@azbobbyb,

Not really, for a bunch of reasons. First, we now have ten offensive linemen who could realistically make the team, and at the most would only carry nine of them (typically only activating seven on game day). Second, as you noted, Monroe is a FA after the season. Why give up a draft pick (an early one) for someone you have a chance at signing in the off-season for no compensation? Third, there’s already a few LT’s that project as first-rounders next year that will likely be available (Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Antonio Richardson, to name a few), and could slide with next year being the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes, and may have QB’s like Bridgewater, Manziel, Murray, etc., available.

They’ve had a much better off-season & draft than I was predicting, and if Cooper and Floyd prove to be worth their draft positions, will be a surprise team. No need for anything drastic at this point, and if this is any indication of how well they draft it would be foolish to hamstring ourselves with the projected pool of talent assembling next year.

43. By Jason on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

It’s times like now that my fan takes over…I’ve already convinced myself that out draft was epic. In my head we drafted 3 starters (Cooper, Minter & Mathieu), 2 pro bowlers (Cooper & Mathieu) and added great depth to our OLB, RB and WR core. Not to mention that if Watford and Kemente can become starting guards (in the future) we can move Cooper to center then we have a young, talented, athletic middle of our offensive line. Only pick I would’ve done differently at this point in time would’ve been to pick Reid Fragel T Ohio State in the 7th.

44. By cards4sb on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

BTW, I absolutely love Andre Roberts huge fan and supporter…I want him on this team…but if Swope can be our Amendola or Welker I will not complain. Does anyone remember the 80 yrd catch and run against, I believe it was against the Bills, that got called back by a fitz penalty? He sold me right then and there!!

45. By philly cards on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Where is the strong saftey. That’s my biggest concern. Who is the tandem? To not have that today is worth 5 losses in nfc in march

46. By Rick James on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Now go out and sign Jared Gaither or Max Starks and the line will be set

47. By Rick James on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Darren I herd on the radio yesterday that Glendale will not let he cards have training camp here do you know if that is true?

48. By azfaninwa on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Great coverage Darren. The updates were fast throughout the whole process. I was at a seminar all weekend and still felt up to speed just with the app. I have a random question for you though. If we do a top 120 board but there are 254 players drafted along with numerous un-drafted players… what is the process for selecting players once the board is exhausted?

49. By Timmy on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Louis

What quarterback did you want in this draft. There is a reason they all fell so far. THEY’RE NOT ANY GOOD!!!
    I’m excited about this year. As much as I don’t like the other teams in this division, man do I love hearing all the analyst talk about how great this division is. I hope the NFC West is top dog for years to come.

50. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Rick James -

RE: Camp

Nothing has been set for camp. Glendale is still in play.

51. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Azfaninwa –

RE: board

Believ it or not, the way teams build their boards often times every team is able to get 5 or 6 or even 7 guys off their top 120 board. But they do reset the board each night after the end so it can take into account who is left.

52. By card62 on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

We still need to pickup an OT or two OT. Can anyone tell me available free agent tackles and if you think we will sign one? Not the front office fault that skill players in the draft were so down this year that the best 3 tackles were selected by the 4th pick, but I would hope we have a plan in free agency to explain why we did not use high draft picks to select at least one tackle.

I think our best 3 OTs are the worse bunch in the entire NFL, and if you disagree with me fine, but let me know where you rate our tackles and which teams has a worse situation at the position.

I do not think we have much behind Carson Palmer at QB and with our tackles Carson is a dead man just like Kolb and Skelton last year.

Would have liked to have seen us be a little more aggressive going after top flight rookie free agents at several positions. Tyler Bray QB Tennessee is high risk,high reward, but as a free agent he would be no risk.

Please oh please front office get us some tackles.

I still do not understand why we released Kerry Rhodes.

Go Cards!

53. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Card62 -

RE: Rhodes

Again, Rhodes was asked to take a pay cut, but it was going to come with an overall extension. He turned it down. That’s why he was released. He wasn’t going to get $6M this season.

54. By Ricardo C. on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I would actually love to see this line starting week 1…
    Nate potter LT
    Jonathen cooper LG
    Sendelin C
    Levi brownRG
    Bobby Massie RT
    Are guards position would be excellent and Nate potter can continue his good progression from the end of last season and develop into an amazing tackle

55. By COCards on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Card62
    Being in northern Colorado I know of the signing of OT Joe Caprioglio from CSU. From the NFL website here is a list:

Here is a list of players who have signed or agreed to terms with teams thus far. This will be updated as transactions officially occur or are reported by news outlets.

Arizona Cardinals

Clemson WR Jaron Brown; Arizona WR Dan Buckner; Colorado State OT Joe Caprioglio; Cincinnati DE Dan Giordano; Oklahoma DB Javon Harris; Wyoming LB Korey James; Oklahoma S Tony Jefferson; Louisiana Lafayette WR Javone Lawson; California OT Matt Summers-Gavin; Tennessee CB/S Prentiss Waggner; SJSU DB Ronnie Yell

56. By Smitty on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Can we afford Albert (KC) longterm? Seems a 2nd rounder in 2014 to add the big LT would be icing on the cake at this point.

57. By ored on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

levi had 1 sack accounted to him in..i think his last 8 games before his injury,massie had 0 sacks his last 8 games,and potter was averaging less than 1 sack per game for his rookie year…now project that forward,that is whywe don’t need two new tackles,especially with coop on board now and a coaching emphasis on everyone blocking we should be good going forward.i would be real surprised if we did’nt cut our sack against total in half at least.oh,plus the fact we now have an experienced qb that does’nt like to be sacked,so he perfected a quick release to help that department.

i too liked our draft,i think the rb pair was great and would not be surprised if okafor did’nt exceed expectations,at times he played like a man among boys,now hoping to find some value in undrafted players and for our 2nd year players to bring it.mix it well in camps and practice,add some chemistry,let them gel=a fun and productive season.

58. By drewcards on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I wonder how the linebacker spots are going to pan out. Washington and Brinkley should the inside guys with Acho and Okafor/Alexander/Schofield/Shaughnessy in the outside. Throw Minter in the mix at the inside, does that mean there is going to be more of a rotation? I could possibly see Washington taking on more snaps as an outside linebacker as well considering his 9 sacks last season. Darren what do you think the plans are for the linebackers are?

59. By Eazy E on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I think my overall grade for our draft is a very good B+.

1- Jonathan Cooper G- Starts right away and thank God takes either Colledge or Snyder spot

2- Kevin Minter ILB- Didn’t like the pick but it had nothing to do with Minter. Geno was there, Lacy was there and Te’o who I think is a little better overall. I know Minter is a good player and have heard a lot about him but still…

3- Tyrann Mathieu S/CB- Love the pick! Will play all over the field and secondary. ST will be huge for him also. Could make the Pro Bowl on that alone possibly.

4- Alex Okafor & Earl Watford- Very good pass rusher at Texas and will compete for snaps at OLB. Big boy they said might be better suited to play in yr 2 or 3 but can play in 1 though. Moves other guard out of the way whether that’s Colledge or Snyder.

5- Stepfan Taylor- Definitely will have a shot with our injury-plagued RBs. Boy runs hard and not a joke.

6- Andre Ellington & Ryan Swope- Ellington is very fast and explosive on tape. Will have a chance in our backfield like Stepfan. Swope is extremely fast running a 4.34 40 and performed HUGE in HUGE games especially the game I saw against Bama.

7- D.C. Jefferson- Don’t know much about him, just know we needed a darn TE worth a darn!

60. By Eazy E on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

The NFL/Arizona Cardinals is one filthy business doing that to Kerry. The man has a great bounce back season and would have went to the pro bowl if anyone noticed besides Cardinal fans but I agree with his decision on not taking a pay cut when you ball out. They want a pay cut when you don’t perform and when you do, that crap sucks. BTW Darren, that extension was probably if I had to guess was going to be a lot less than his play said it should be. I’m glad he turned that crap down because he deserves every penny of that 6 million the way he and that D played last year. He’ll get a starting job and ball out again, unfortunately, it most likely won’t be with us.#Darn Shame

61. By sammy on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Seriously why are we paying Hoyer 2 million have completed how many passes as a Card ? He hardly played in NE and got cut and was out of work, madness really.

62. By Rob on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Quality draft! Excelled. Loved the drafting on Day 3! Go Cardinals.

63. By chad on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Can you post an update on salary cap left after the draft?
    I am just wondering if there is any money left for a free agent pass rusher.
    I think we had a good draft addressing needs, I don’t know if Okafor is giving instant contribution. Wouldn’t mind seeing a veteran signed to a one year deal like a Bart Scott. putting Okafor behind his mentor Acho and Schofeld behind a Veteran pass rusher, like Bart Scott.

64. By Corgon on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Like the whole draft. Nice trades, not reached out for a qb and selected a bunch of talented guys.

Cooper – Basic. Like him
    Minter – Hmmmm, ok we’ll see, but liked the trade
    Tyrann – Nice thing we roll the dice on him. Small for FS? Hell no! He can tackle and a ballhawk as well.
    Okafor – Beast. Great pick in the 4th
    Watford – I raised my eyebrow, but it was a deep OL draft, he could be a valuable pick fog us.
    Taylor – Can’t wait to see him on the field. In the 5th he could be a gem.
    Swope – The same as Taylor. This guy has speed. I hope he could stay healthy
    Ellington – Excellent skill set and in the 6th he’s absolutely a steal.
    D.C. – I literally know nothing about him

Taylor, Swope and Ellington for 2 6th and a 5th rounder was an excellent job.(Ok I know there was a reason why they were available, but still)

Now let’s get ready for a whole new team! Go Cards!

65. By Jason on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Card62-

Even though we’ve gone over this on earlier blogs I will try to explain where I think the team is at regarding the tackle position. Keep in mind these aren’t neccessarily my thoughts…just a guess as to the thoughts of the GM/coaches.

Coach Arians has referred to Levi Brown as an “elite” tackle in this league (where he gets this I have zero idea because I think Levi has been a servicable LT at best, and that’s being kind) and that getting him back from injury is an automatic improvement for our line. Bobbie Massie started every game at RT last year, and while he struggled and was overwhelmed at times, he finished the final 8 games of the season without giving up a sack. Much in the same way Levi Brown impoved during the end off the 2011 season by only surrendering 1 sack in the second half. Nate Potter played at the end of last season after Batiste was benched and had some good moments and bad moments…on a side note Potter was a 7th round draft pick and I think when you factor in being a late round rookie he perfomed admirably.

So…if you believe Arians statement that Brown is an “elite” talent (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/94975/around-the-nfc-west-elite-levi-brown) at LT and Keim’s statement that Massie is going to have a “break out” year (http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/04/12/reading-the-tea-leaves/) then you have to assume the front office/coaches were happy with our starting tackles. Throw in Nate Potter who recieved priceless experience by being thrown into the fire at LT last year and you have a young player who will be our swing tackle.

I still believe that if one of the top tackles were available when we selected we would’ve taken a tackle. When they were gone and we picked Cooper it was obvious that tackle was no longer a priority. We weren’t going to spend multiple picks on the offensive line early because we had other needs…factor that in with Levi Brown and Lyle Sendline coming back from injury, Bobbie Massie cementing his place at RT and the early Cooper pick you already have 4 of your 5 starters. We have 14 offensive linemen on the roster as of right now so I don’t see us signing anyone much less a veteran who would challenge to start.

66. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger is a “1 year college football wonder,” reminds me of Ryan Williams. His body size(quite undersized) is a worry since safeties don’t usually last very long in the NFL, think Bob Sanders(Colts). I’ll be kind like those at the link below and won’t even mention the biggest worry.

To me it doesn’t sound like our 3rd round draft pick was even picked with the intention of playing most or every down, very depressing! Let’s follow or count how many players chosen this year in the NFL after Honey Badger play most downs per drive, or more specifically how many CB’s/Safeties do so!!!

Mike Sando recently ranked us last in the NFC West at drafting skill positions, 3rd in front seven and secondary, 2nd in Tight Ends(hehehe that didn’t take much did it?), and 1st in OL(with only 2 players).

“Seeking focus after 2013 NFL draft frenzy”

67. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

“I’m not naïve about this,” Keim said. “I know the risk. But the risk to reward was enticing. His passion for the game is off the charts.” Re Honey Badger. Good stuff. No guaranteed $$ in his contract reported this am.

Money move by Cards. Cards picking spots to take risk, time will tell if reward reaped. Hard not to be optimistic with PP sitting on him though.

68. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

How do we go from Fitz not possibly having an effect on drafting the 2nd ranked WR last year(talent level was low) in the 1st round to PP definitely having one this year on a questionable rookie this year? Was Bidwill daydreaming while he was sitting there at the table?

This nonsense about submitting to weekly drug tests is laughable or please explain to me how I’m wrong Darren???

We fans should not ever expect to hear anything about whether he passes/fails weekly Mary Jane tests. So how is this any different than before? I mean we signed D. Washington to BIG bucks probably after(the team) knew he had failed tests so like how is the players union going to allow the AZ Cardinals to do anything different about this “special” player???

69. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

You’ve admitted before I sometimes have good points but you never address those, you only attack me whenever you feel like the time is right. I’d like to know how this “voluntary submission to weekly drug tests” is going to play out because I haven’t heard/read anyone else question these tests. Were they just a momentary pacifier for fans to suck on and later to forget about?

70. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Smitty –

RE: Albert

I don’t see any way they’d pay him $8 or $9 M a year, which is what he is seeking.

71. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

drewcards –

RE: LBs

I think you have the inside/outside nailed down. I don’t see Washington going outside. As for overall plans, I think that has to play out with offseason/camp.

72. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Eazy –

RE: Pay cut

That might all be true. But like James Harrison, for instance, whatever your old team was going to pay you is still more than what you will get on the open market. I bet he was still going to get around $2M a season (plus a bonus). He isn’t getting that anywhere else.

73. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Chad –

RE: Cap

The cap hasn’t changed. None of these guys have signed contracts. The Cards still have $9.2M of cap space.

74. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

cardsallthwway –

RE: Drug testing

Why is it laughable?

75. By Coach Kevin on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Chase Thomas, the Stanford linebacker was undrafted. Is this a player the Cardinals should consider signing?

76. By D on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

So who from last year will be on the chopping block….

Way too many G’s on the team, not good for Kelemete, Colledge and Synder
    (why sign Chilo if you don’t think he will make the roster)

J.Dray, B. Hoyer, A. Sherman, Schofield, R. Walker, Powell, Smith.. all could be in trouble which is normal for a coaching change. Hoyer would need to take a lower salary, no way you pay the 3rd string QB that much money….

77. By Tucson Card on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I am extremely excited about this draft class. I thought the Cards did a good job. We’ll have to wait and see how everything plays out before we can attach a ‘draft grade’.

78. By frankie on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

This was a great draft i am very impressed. The only pick i wasnt sure about was the 7th round pick but then again how good do you expect a 7th round lineman to be honestly. Maybe a 7th round pick can have a great career but its not very likely i can only think of maybe 3 or 4 players that have. Also im sick of hearing about mathiea he is a dominant player one of the best in college. He likes to smoke a little weed that doesnt make him a bad person its actually legal in some states now look it up it doesnt make him any different than any other player that got in trouble for substance abuse.I think he will have a big impact on our team and im proud to have him. As for the rest of the draft i love swope a speedster which we never had b4 and the line is being peiced together. We had a horible team b4 there is way too much to fix in one draft but we are on our way give coach Arians some props!!! Pick up another player or two in a trade or whatever and our team looks like a very good squad… Rise up !!!!

79. By Eazy E on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

We both make valid points, it just seems like the NFL owners have made it up in their minds to collude the league/players from getting their money. A bunch of players signing 1 yr deals or 2 yr deals and for little money because I guess the owners mad at them for the lockout.

80. By Ken on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Funny you should blame all of last years sacks on the guards. Most of them came from the outside where the tackles couldn’t even kick-slide fast enough to stay in front of defensive ends/linebackers. It was a weak spot after losing Levi and every team they played exploited it. It’s a shame they couldn’t trade to a higher spot and pick Joeckel or another tackle. I’m sure they tried but the price would have been astronomical.

81. By Jason on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway

What is your issue with the Honey Badger? You start off by making suggestions about his acheivments, size and durability. Then you insinuate that Keim drafted him without an intention of him being an everydown player. Finally, you conjure up conspirathy theroies about players influence on draft picks and if there are in fact drug tests in his contract or if he failed said drug tests would the Cardinals let the public know. Do you know crazy you sound?

First off he wasn’t a one year wonder…he played his freshman and sophmore year. He had 57 tackles, 8.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 ints and 5 forced fumbles as a freshman and 76 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks, 2 ints and 6 forced fumbles as a sophmore…oh yeah, he scored 4 touchdowns that year as well as well as winning The Bednarik Award as the nation’s top defensive player . That seems like 2 solid years of production in the SEC. As far as his size I can’t dispute that he is 5’9″ and 186 lbs but you wrongly question his durability. He played in 26 games in his 2 years at LSU and only missed one contest his sophmore year which was not injury related…not too bad playing in the rough and tough SEC. You want to question his career durability by naming one dimunitve safety…how about Jim Leonhard 5’8″ 188 going on his 8th season or Antoine Winfield 5’9″ 180 going on his 14th (I know he’s a corner but he tackles like a safety)? The real answer is Tyrann Mathieu is his own player so unless you have a crystal ball lets let his career speak for itself.

The next issues you have are even more curious and paranoid. Why would Keim draft a player with intention not to play him? I think Keim would be elated if Tyrann wins the free safety job and is an everydown player. If he doesn’t win the job and plays as our nickel corner do you feel like it was a wasted pick? In todays passing NFL with 3/4 WR sets you need all the corners you can get and nickel corners are basically starters in many situatuions. Good idea to have a guy that can play there don’t you think? And do snap counts really matter? Lets say Tyrann gets ints, forces fumbles and sacks the qb in his limited snaps wouldn’t that be better than playing more snaps and being less effective? Now to the question about player influence on the draft….Patrick Peterson had just as much to do with Tyrann Mathieu coming to the Cards as Larry Fitzgerald did with Michael Floyd coming to the Cards. When evaluating players you use EVERY resource you have available…if you have a player on your team that knows a guy you’re targeting why would you not ask his opinion? If PP and Fitz vouch for a player then it is something they can add to the debate when determining risk vs gain. Finally, the drug tests. I don’t know why this is such an issue. Tyrann has a drug past, he has stated that he is willing to take these tests to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is clean and ready to play football…we should be applauding him for this. It’s none of your business if he passes or fails, that is between him and his employer…but, with the contract having no guaranteed money and Keim’s statements that he is on a short leash you’d assume that he would be released if it ever came to that. Washington’s situation is different and I’m sure Darren might have all of the details but I was under the impression that he failed one drug test and was on probation with the league…the second failure wasn’t a drug test but a failure to adhere to something within the probation. Either way the kid smoked weed in college and you’re acting like he was robbing houses to support a crack addiction…get over yourself. College is the time for kids to make mistakes and if he was Tyrann the accountant nobody would’ve ever made so many judgements about his character. He seems to be on the right track and he is a hell of football player and I for one am excited that he is on our team.

82. By Jason on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Man….I wish I would’ve proof read that before submitting.

83. By clssylssy on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I see where the Jets cut Tebow and, while fans seem to think this is hilarious and a big deal, I would say Tebow is clearly the winner in this siutation. He never fit in with that bunch, never was used for anything other than publicy and would be a good pick up for a solid team wiht integrity and a desire to compete. He is talented and would make a good TE or good insurance at the QB position. I think he would fit nicely with our team and could see somebody like BA building a Championship level team with a bunch of “mutts” like Sean Payton did in New Orleans with Brees, Fujita et all in 2009…just a thought.
    and to Jason…I became a believer in Montee Ball seeing him play Nebraska in the Big 10 Game in Madison in 2011….talk about a mind blowing football experience! Put the NFL to shame…lol! I understand what Keim was trying to accomplish by passing on he and Lacy but, it seems, that has always been the Cardinal philosophy and sometimes I wonder if we will ever move up as a team as we are sustained from blood out of a turnip?Certainly the best teams in the league only get better because they are in the position of being able to get the cream of the crop when they aren’t desperate and it is topping off a team with few worries.:)

84. By ored on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

was good,and the way many fans feel.just let him ball and adjust to life as an adult and fit in with teammates.i think he gets it now,if he messes up,no paycheck,no nfl career and all that goes with it,most of all the comradarie and locker room experience of being part of the team,knowing someone has your back.

85. By Jason on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

Um, were you talking to me? I don’t recall saying anything about passing on Montee Ball or Lacy?

86. By Cert 33 on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey, I’m beginning to think that the Cards new brain-trust is not brain-dead. This was a decent draft and they showed the good sense to not waste a pick on a QB (there were no NFL starting QB’s or anything close in this draft). Also, signing a proven veteran QB like Palmer made sense. At first, I was not very impressed with the Keim/Arians combo and thought we would be battling the Rams for last place but things are starting to look a bit more optimistic in Cardinal land. Maybe some of the current D-Backs winning magic is drifting over to Glendale. Keep it up!

87. By sbrown on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

now that the Draft is over, we should take a closer look at the undrafted free agents that the Cards invited in. 16 players, 1 NT,2 S,3 CB, 2 OT, 3 LB ,5 WR’s.
    NT, another body to look at behind Williams & Carter.
    S, both from Oklahoma, top two in tackles for Oka.
    CB, all either a 3-year or 4-year starter,all had big tackle totals for their college.
    LB, two with All-Conference honors, the other a team captain with over 100 tackles last season
    OT, one played both OG and OT, the other was another All-Conference and small school second team All American player. Both on O-lines with a 1500 yd or more running back.
    WR’s, all five over 6 ft tall, couple played in bowl games, a DII national champ, a all -conference player, 2 time academic all conference player, 4 time honor roll , player in a BCS National Champ game…..

IMO these players just as important to add depth to the roster and maybe find a ST player or two. Not worried about five more WR’s as the Cards will throw the ball a lot in camp, don’t need to wear out the big three ( Fitz, Floyd, Roberts )
    This group all great character type players, three or four year starters, with a lot of personal / school records for yards, tackles, etc…

Keim and BA have done a huge job on all these new players, now to get to camp and start working with them. Who remembers at Sun Devil, the pre game message on the video board…” there is a storm coming” scene from Dune, well the NFC West better watch out for the “storm” here in the desert ! Go Cards !!

88. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Laughable Drug tests

Because like Jason said “it’s none of my business” therefore the discussion is just a pacifier to silence the fans because “it’s none of my business.”

And, didn’t we give D. Wash a big pay day when he probably failed a test? Didn’t we do our due diligence on D. Wash back when? If not then we didn’t learn anything, instead we listen to Matt Taibbi rules on decoding the draft when we shouldn’t…
    DRAFT THE WEED GUY
    And ignore him when we should listen…
    DON’T SLEEP ON SAMOANS.
    Matt Taibbi – The NFL Draft Decoded

Jason,

“1 Year Wonder”

You must’ve missed my quote on the “1 year wonder” and the link I provided, sheeesh!

I thought I heard Keim say he was a nickel back which means he ain’t gonna be playing every down, sheeesh!

” It’s none of your business if he passes or fails, that is between him and his employer…but, with the contract having no guaranteed money and Keim’s statements that he is on a short leash you’d assume that he would be released if it ever came to that.”

If it’s none of my business I can say it’s all a bunch of nonsense talk just like “no guarantee” contract nonsensical stuff.

It was pretty much publicly denied last year that Fitz would have any influence on the draft but this year there wasn’t any such denial that PP did so. Where have you been?

“acting like it’s a crack addiction”

This isn’t about this/that drug to me. it’s about being ready and available to play and the habitual use of marijuana and it’s seeming mental addiction that some players come to terms with.

“Get over yourself”

Why don’t you?

89. By Jason on May 1, 2013 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway-

The NFL/NFLPA drug policy has a confidentiality agreement that’s why it’s none of your business. It isn’t known to the public unless they recieve a suspension, and even then it isn’t specific. Daryll Washington failed one test and it wasn’t made public, it wasn’t until he had a violation (not a failed drug test) while on probation that caused his suspention. We don’t know what drug was in his system when he failed his test and we don’t know exactly what the second violation was. You keep making statements like you have first hand knowledge of the situation.

I tried to watch your video, but it didn’t work for me. I’m sorry if your intention wasn’t to call Tyrann Mathieu a one year wonder. What was your intention?

“Arians said Mathieu will begin by playing free safety, but he has the ability to play cornerback and nickel back. He can also blitz well and has a punt return ability “probably only second to Patrick,” Arians added.” This is an excerpt from a story Darren wrote on April 26th the night we drafted Tyrann…so, I’m sorry you thought you heard Keim say he was strictly a nickle back but you were wrong.

Why are you concerned with Tyrann’s contract stipulations? Why do you think it’s a conspiracy about drug testing? Do you really believe that the Cardinals are so worried about what some fans think about drafting a risk/reward player that they figured the only way that could make the pick would be to make up phony drug testing to appease them? This is why I asked you if you know how crazy you sound. The Cardinals are going to do whats best for the organization, THEY drafted and extremely talented player that THEY feel is going to make an impact and THEY will negotiate a contract that THEY feel is fair.

Fitz denied that he had any direct influence to who the team was going to pick because people were insinuating that he told the front office who to pick. It’s not the same thing as giving your opinion if they ask you questions about a player which I’m sure they did.

How many games has Tyrann missed? How many drug tests has he failed as a member of the Cardinals?

90. By cardsalltheway on May 1, 2013 | Reply

Jason,
    You write so much and you don’t need to because half of what you write is creative. What did I say that made you think I was “concerned” about his contract? That’s what others seem to have been “concerned” about, there were at least a few articles about his contract which was countered by his agent. I was criticising them, sheeesh! No Englishee?

“You keep making statements like you have first hand knowledge of the situation.”

Maybe it’s just my way in which I respond to what I read that dumbfounds you, do you have 1st hand knowledge?

” Why do you think it’s a conspiracy about drug testing?”

Did I say anything about a “conspiracy”? I never expected to hear anything about drug test results, I said the drug test talk was a “pacifier,” to pacify fans or keep them quiet/not worry fans. So, you’re “not any of your business” comment was out of place. Are you special?

I’m fully aware of the players union and said as much(reread what I wrote). Maybe you should understand what I write before you start creating nonsense or things I supposedly said.

You don’t need to inform me what Fitz said last year about being part of or influencing the draft( I didn’t say he was) but if it makes you happy I’ll admit I’m wrong about whatever I said about Fitz and PP not influencing Keim/Arians to draft Honey Badger this year(I couldn’t have been more clear – but I guess not enough for you). Are you happy now?

91. By Jason on May 2, 2013 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway

arguing with a fool proves there are two….I’m done

92. By Sabpens Pee on Sep 7, 2013 | Reply