Shipp back on the Cardinals’ field

Posted by Darren Urban on May 2, 2013 – 3:21 pm

The Cardinals have a handful of coaching interns on hand to help them through the offseason and training camp. One of the faces is very familiar — former Cards running back Marcel Shipp.

“It’s weird,” Shipp said after a recent workout. “Just being out here, it felt like I’m hurt and just not practicing.”

It’s been a while since he’s practiced as a Cardinal. Shipp made the team back in 2001 as an undrafted rookie out of UMass. He outplayed Thomas Jones early on, and just when Jones was dumped and Shipp thought he was going to get his chance, Emmitt Smith was signed. Then after 2003, when Smith was hurt all year and Shipp played pretty well, Denny Green came in in 2004 and dropped the post-offseason work bomb on Shipp that — despite Shipp running first team all offseason — Smith was indeed the starter. Oh, and to add injury to insult, Shipp suffered his ugly broken ankle/leg during the Red-White Scrimmage in training camp, ending his season. (I still have the photo of Shipp lying in pain with teammates trying to help him, his foot at an angle it should never be for a human being.)

That’s ancient history now, though. Shipp actually stayed with the Cardinals through training camp of 2008 before being released, and after a brief camp stop with the Houston Texans, moved on to an effective stint in the UFL from 2009-2011 with the Las Vegas franchise. In 2012, he was the running backs coach for Vegas until the UFL finally went under. But it gave Shipp the coaching bug.

“I always thought about it,” said Shipp, who often works youth football camps, including some through the Cardinals. “The opportunity on the professional level, though, you can’t put that into words.”

There was a small connection with Bruce Arians too, since both Arians and Shipp were born in Paterson, N.J. With the Cards, he’s working with the wide receivers.

“I’m just blessed to be back in, especially with the Cardinals,” Shipp said.

With Shipp around in coaching (for now), Josh Scobey working in the team’s personnel department and Damien Anderson the team’s Alumni Relations Manager, it’s like the Cards are getting the running backs room, circa 2004, back together. No word on whether Emmitt is on the way.

ShippBlogUSe

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Shipp back on the Cardinals’ field”

1. By joe holst on May 2, 2013 | Reply

sign karlos dansby….

2. By Ben on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Love this, always liked Shipp, hopefully he sticks around.

3. By DuaneS on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Welcome home Mr Shipp…it’s good to have you back.

A lot of negative has been dumped on this franchise over the years….However I’ve noticed we sure do take care of the Cardinals family…Hats off to all of the Bidwells and their organization.

4. By cardsalltheway on May 2, 2013 | Reply

“He outplayed Thomas Jones early on”

“despite Shipp running first team all offseason — Smith was indeed the starter.”

Shipp of yesteryear is the William Powell of today or last year at least, but I don’t hear the sympathy. Were you sympathetic to Shipp at the time(before he was injured), maybe you’ll come around in 10 years?

5. By johnwimmer on May 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m pretty sure you (Darren) should think about having someone look into this stalker calling him or herself “cardsalltheway”…

6. By mal on May 2, 2013 | Reply

I was there that night in the NAU Skydome when the Tugboat got his foot and ankle wrenched around pointing the wrong direction. It was a really gruesome injury!

It shows how much heart Marcel has that he was actually able to come back and play again at the NFL level. Amazing.

I for one am so glad he’s back!

7. By Jason Zumwalt on May 2, 2013 | Reply

SHIPP!!!!!

8. By Credit Card on May 2, 2013 | Reply

One coach is good, two better, three awesome, four total confusion.

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Marcel Shipp and Joe Theismann, two of the most gruesome injuries I have Not had the pleasure of seeing a picture of and live on MNF.

Glad to see you back in the nest Mr. Shipp. Your looking good!

GO CARDS!!!

10. By alexmannsportskings on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Wait @Cardsalltheway

Please tell me who Powell has outplayed on this roster? Only one I can think of is Ryan Williams. Mendenhall wasn’t here, Taylor wasn’t here, Ellington wasn’t here…

11. By johnnybluenose on May 2, 2013 | Reply

@ joe holst. i’m pretty certain that dansby signed with the bills a few days ago

12. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on May 2, 2013 | Reply

One of my cards all time favorites my high school year wow he came in and ran people over the tugboat in fact correct me if I’m wrong Darren didn’t Jake the snake hit shipp on a play we never can run called a screen for like 50yrd TD.he was tough as nails in 02 when we went 4-2 he battled with a injury then when he passed t.j on the depth chart next year broken ankle hell no he never gave up im glad he is back maybe he can show us how to run a screen play.

13. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on May 2, 2013 | Reply

any chance jake the snake gets a call

14. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Johnny —

RE: Dansby

Dansby is a free agent.

15. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinki –

RE: Plummer to Shipp

It was an 80 yard screen TD in St Louis on a Sunday night in 2002.

16. By Dynosoar on May 2, 2013 | Reply

johnwimmer,

That was funny.

17. By T. Stone on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Wow, I remember him now. Always liked him. This is what the Cards are/should be about.
    Tell us about the time Shipp got suspended from the team for drugs.
    What about the time when they drafted him and had to have a babysitter keep him in line.
    What about the time he dragged the Cardinal name into the media for any wrong thing he did.

Oh yea you cant. Do ya know why? He never got suspended for drugs, he wasn’t drafted and never needed a babysitter and he did nothing but made us proud that he was a Cardinal.

Thanks.

Rub off and if ya cant rub them out.

18. By cardsalltheway on May 3, 2013 | Reply

johnwimmer,
    “I’m pretty sure you (Darren) should think about having someone look into this stalker calling him or herself “cardsalltheway”

It’s pretty pathetic when when a football discussion on a football blog magically becomes “stalking” don”t you think?

alexmannsportskings,
    “Please tell me who Powell has outplayed on this roster?”

I mostly meant last year since it’s obvious not much has gone on yet this year aye? Anyway, about last year…Isn’t Ryan Williams enough? However, he also led all our RB’s other than LSH and Beanie Wells.

The standard I’m using which Darren used is “early on” and “all offseason.”

Willam Powell not only lead all Cardinal RB’s in rushing during the preseason(2012) but all RB’s in the NFL. During the season he had the HIGHEST avg. yards per carry on our team. W. Powell had almost 50% less carries than LSH but only 139 less yards.

William Powell(our 3rd leading rusher in 2012) had 28 less carries than Beanie Wells and only 17 less total yards. It’s quiet foolish to not see it, William Powell was “insulted” last year like Darren says Shipp was yesteryear.

Darren didn’t even include William Powell as one of our RB’s recently in a piece he wrote(which I consider an “insult”).

William Powell had 217 yards in 60 attemps(2012).
    Rashard Mendenhall had 182 yards in 51 attempts(2012).

I’m hoping our backs can all be durable this year but it’s really not fair to run mostly William Powell during preseason and then bring in our limpy legged RB’s to start the season like we did last year when they didn’t do much of anything in preseason to show they could even compete with William Powell.

19. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Welcome Shipp. I like that old-school Cardinals coming back to mentor and coach. Brings good feelings and history.
    I think the Cards have at least one more big splash to make this season and I hope it’s a Offensive Tackle soon.
    Go Red Birdz

20. By johnnybluenose on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren. thanks for the update.

21. By Craig on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Shipp is a good dude. He helped me pick out my wifes engagment ring. I was at shopping for the ring and he was standing next to me. As I was looking I asked him what one he thought looked best. He point at one I looked at it and bought it.

22. By T. Stone on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski

Call Jake the Snake?

Only if Carson Palmer needs a lesson on how to get the Cardinals behind by 21 points in the first half, only to run around like a squirrel and win it for us with 4 seconds left every other game. Jake took 10 years off of everybodys life just watching that stuff and another year just now reliving it in my mind.
    But give Jake some credit for 1 thing. When he was gone, he stayed gone.
    :-)

23. By John The Draft Guy on May 3, 2013 | Reply

T Stone and Mike Hadzinski;

Oh I agree Plummer put us in holes, did crazy plays like throw back to a lineman, and stress you out. But that guy was exciting.

His first huddle, he went in and said “there is a new Sheriff in town” and lead us (help me out Darren) like 90 yards for a go ahead TD.

He will always have a special spot in my heart after hitting Sanders on the quick slant, setting up a FG with seconds left to send us to the playoffs. Then he out dualed Troy Aikman in Dallas to win a playoff game. Only to fall short to Denny Green’s Vikings.

Then, as he watched the Bidwills let 6 key players walk, countless injuries, no real FA signings, and a poor draft, he tried to do it on his own and ended up being shipped off to Denver.

But as I stood on that field in Tempe and watched the fans take down the goal post and take to Mill ave, how could you not like Jake the Snake?

24. By Dynosoar on May 3, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Spot on regarding William Powell. Unless there’s something I’m unaware of (which is mightily possible) I don’t know why he wasn’t our feature back all last season. Mendenhall was huge for Pittsburgh a few years ago before his injury, I’d say not only can he be huge for us at his position, but he should be a great mentor to Powell and others.

I see great things from our RB corp and adding Shipp to the mix makes it just that much better.

Thanks for the photo gallery of the newest Cardinals and you even added all the undrafted players… Brilliant!

T. Stone,

maybe this years Cards victories will give us back a year or three. “and another year just now reliving it in my mind” Laughing all day. I’ll be using this line aometime.

25. By Mike Ellingboe on May 3, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

Pretty good synopsis of Plummer.

The only different memory I have of him, and like you said, we’ll have Darren help us out with this, is how his first huddle went. I’m remembering him replacing Kent Graham, and going three and out to a standing ovation (how times would change down the road).

Either way, many great memories of him from college and pro.

26. By sbrown on May 3, 2013 | Reply

plenty of good memories from Sun Devil, hearing the tugboat horn after a good Shipp run ! I know he was not a Wiz player, but it would have been nice to have him back on the roster going to SBXLIII, if I remember there was an open roster spot due to injury…anyway glat to see him and other old Cards, to have a chance to share their NFL wisdom to the younger players. About four months to the first Pre-Season game in GB !!

27. By T. Stone on May 3, 2013 | Reply

JTDG
    I remember leaving that game and listening to the post game “Goal Post Sighting” updates on the radio. One of the best games ever. Who ran that kickoff back before the field goal? That was the reason we had a chance for the field goal and the win. So awesome.

Dynosoar
    I hope we get some years back for sure, we all deserve it.

28. By Eazy E on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Damn Darren, why you say it like that? ”Before the UFL finally went under”, it employed a lot of football players and they actually got paid.#Not Mad #Just Sayin

29. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Eazy E —

RE: UFL

Actually, they didn’t actually get paid, not enough. That’s why it went under. Players sued owners for their paychecks.

30. By Eric on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Now how about we bring in L A R R Y Centers. One of the true bright spots the Cards had during some of our darkest times. I suppose we could add Aeneas Williams in there as well.

31. By Eazy E on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

Yeah I heard, but I was talking more theoretically.#Good Riddance Then

32. By William Barry on May 23, 2013 | Reply

its great to have shipp doing some interning

2. May 16, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | The depth chart in May