Washington arrested

Posted by Darren Urban on May 3, 2013 – 12:51 pm

Linebacker Daryl Washington was arrested Friday in connection with the domestic dispute that had been under investigation from earlier this week and was booked on two counts of aggravated assault.

Washington has released this statement: “This is a legal matter and I am limited in what I can say other than that my lawyer and I will continue to cooperate with investigators and welcome the opportunity for all the facts to be presented. I regret that the situation has brought this kind of attention to my family and my team. I look forward to resolving it as soon as possible.”

As I mentioned before, this is early in the process. Police have seen a reason to investigate further. I know people want to know what will happen to Washington regarding the football field, but we are probably a long way from resolving that and it will likely be tied to however this legal situation resolves itself.

Tags:

72 Responses to “Washington arrested”

1. By Brad Baker on May 3, 2013 | Reply

This really sux. I hate it that he will be “labeled” in the future no matter the outcome of this.

2. By joe holst on May 3, 2013 | Reply

what a shame. do they have karlos dansbys number still?

3. By D on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Good thing that 10 mil option is not due until next March.

4. By Kurt on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Ouch

5. By AZ16 on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Washington’s police report can be found online. Kinda ashamed after reading it..

6. By Matt on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Urlacher to az?

7. By KT on May 3, 2013 | Reply

This guy is throwing his career away.

8. By eric on May 3, 2013 | Reply

hate this….makes kevin minter even more important.

9. By Mark on May 3, 2013 | Reply

His career is over if he is found guilty. Even if the charges are dropped by the woman, the state automatically prosecutes.

10. By rdixon50 on May 3, 2013 | Reply

AZ16 – where is the website with the pokice report?

11. By rdixon50 on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Where’s the website with the report? Is it any different that what’s reported on AZcentral.com?

12. By Juan on May 3, 2013 | Reply

This is horrible!!

13. By Erik on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Here’s an article and video on the matter on azcentral.com

Sounds like the baby momma instigated the whole thing if you ask me. Obviously she over reacted like any other mom but still. Another case of baby mamma drama!

14. By John The Draft Guy on May 3, 2013 | Reply

What an absolute mess. Washington is an absolute mess. Failed drug test, babies out of wedlock, now domestic arrest.

Guilty or not, he is heading in the wrong direction. There is nothing good down that road he is traveling. You have a child, you are an adult. It is time to grow up. Understand your actions have consequences.

I really hope someone can get a hold of this kid and steer him in the right direction. I coached in Port Arthur Texas, which was a rough place. I had an opportunity to coach pro players. I saw Jamaal Charles coming up. He was a little fast 7th grader when I left. I saw so much talent but most of it was taken away by drugs, violence, and bad choices. There were better backs we saw that the street took. It just breaks my heart seeing these young men throw away their lives.

Sit this kid down in a room with Anthony Edwards and Aeneas Williams and see if the can reach him. Really sad to see this.

15. By rudy on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Yup it definitely is just your garden variety baby mama drama…and the only time a guy tries to take a girl’s phone is to go thru it to see if she calling other guys n cheatin on him…a thing that could have happen to anyone of us, in fact has happen to me instead no one got hurt in my case…hope he pulls thru as we need em. Sometimes u gotta let baby mama go. I did.

16. By Brad O'Neill on May 3, 2013 | Reply

He broke her clavicle, this isnt just a minor he pushed her and she fell. this is pretty serious. He removed her cell phone from her house and was trying to leave with it, she stupidly tried to retrieve it and he got way out of hand physically. her injuries are enough for him to do some jail time in my opinion. i love the guy, i want him to be part of the team. but this is way out of line he needs to address this in a way that makes a difference because right now he is a bad guy.

17. By Brad O'Neill on May 3, 2013 | Reply

18. By DontTakeLosses on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Read the arrest/police report:

Not at bad as I had feared. The police/prosecutor may have even “overcharged”. This may get resolved by a misdemeanor plea subject to dismissal after probation. Damn good thign his last probation was completed or he’d be in jail right now. [Yes, I practiced law, corporate, but some criminal cases, one manslaughter jury trial, fwiw, 25+ years]. Anyway, I am hopeful here. In part large depends on how much of a hard ass the judege is, Btw, my wedding best man is the chief Judge in the Superior Court. Will see if I can score some intel;) He’ll probably be tight lipped though … DTL

19. By Eric G on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Dangit Daryl. I think he’s treading on thin ice at this point. I’d hate to get rid of him though. Bad stuff happens as a Cardinal, we cut him, and then the next team gets the benefit and doesn’t care what he did with the Cards. I’m torn.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on May 3, 2013 | Reply

DWash, my heart goes out to you. A woman like that will piss you off so bad you could chew through a box of nails without feeling a thing.

Difficult situation, hopefully this is rock bottom.

21. By AZ16 on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Rdixon50,

You can find his police report there. Doesn’t sound great.

22. By Buck on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Too much money, too young. Multiple drug test failures, babies by at least two women without marrage, use of physical force. If the NFL is going to give millions of dollars to immiture 20 some year olds, they also have the responsibility of doing a better job of counciling them on how to handling the temptations of this wealth. Yes, Washington is wrong, but the NFL is guilty also.

23. By georgiebird on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Not a big fan of DW. There is no doubting his speed and pursuit abilities but at the point of attack, he is not a physical force. I realize my feelings will not meet with blog approval but as a 3-4 ILB, Washington is a good player but not great.
    Wonder if the Cards had an inkling of Washington’s new trouble during the draft and thus the choice of Minter?
    So it’s on to the future- if DW is not part of the plan then so be it.

24. By Mike Ellingboe on May 3, 2013 | Reply

@Rudy,

I doubt he cared about anyone she was seeing, I’m guessing he finally got tired of her threats, and trying to keep him from his daughter. Should he have walked away after she went inside? Of course, but as you accurately noted, if you haven’t been in that situation you can’t fully appreciate what it does to your emotions. Call me names? Ok. Spit at me, throw plants, whatever? Don’t like it, but can let it go. Treat me like a criminal for seeing my child? Gloves off.

Granted, when you get to that point you have to force yourself to walk away but I understand why he didn’t (and why he’ll wish he had). Again, hopefully this rock bottom for everyone involved, and they’ll quit putting their daughter through shit like this.

25. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on May 3, 2013 | Reply

SORRY D-WASH BUT FROM WHERE I COME FROM YOU DON’T PUT YOUR HANDS ON A FEMALE TIME TO CUT THIS GUY

26. By Scott H on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Well, first things first – the REAL issue here is the physical abuse of a woman by a man who could obviously inflict severe damage ( or worse ) with his size and strength. And the fact that this little girl obviously has an un-stable person for a father.

Second, it would appear that Daryl Washington has problems. Problems that are a threat to the safety of those around him and his football career. That is a shame on all fronts.

With all that said….good job, Daryl. A four-game suspension wasn’t hurting your team enough? You needed to put the whole season in jeopardy?

Obviously, this man needs help to get himself under control and become a functional human being. From a societal standpoint, that is the most important thing. But from the standpoint of a fan of this team, this just pisses me off and frustrates the hell out of me. I mean, this team isn’t buried deep enough in its own division….we were already facing 4 games without probably our best defensive player and NOW this situation is even worse???

Hate to sound like a whiner, but…when does this ever end???

27. By G Witt on May 3, 2013 | Reply

They r both in the wrong. He had no business pushing his way into her apartment and she had no right to throw anything at him.

28. By Credit Card on May 3, 2013 | Reply

It is dejevu all over again. Can you say Bill Romankowski. The ex-49er and Bronco LB was polite to reports, spoke well, and sensible. Behind the closed doors the guy was completely out of control — psycho like.

Lets hope DW can learn from his mistakes, and more importantly make up for his mistakes. The Cards shoud also make it clear to DW. He can be replaced.

29. By joe holst on May 3, 2013 | Reply

he broke her clavicle, its not a question of if hes going to prison but how long.. say thing with suspension from NFL, goodell with hammer him. better cross him off next year for sure. bummer

30. By johnnybluenose on May 3, 2013 | Reply

As Darren has written, we will have to see how this plays out. But when the suspension was announced a couple of weeks ago I wrote in this blog that Washington should be traded. Too late now. I also wrote that his apology and remarks about being accountable for his actions were meaningless and that being accountable meant not getting in trouble in the first place. Too bad Washington didn’t read the blog and heed my words and those of some of the rest of you. What part of “accountability” do you not understand Mister Washington? I think he’s through in Arizona. I just hope that he has some good friends keeping an eye on him so that nothing worse happens.

31. By T. Stone on May 3, 2013 | Reply

I LOVE that statement by D Wash.

The Cardinals should release this statement from Jerry Maguire:

You are hanging on by a very thin thread and I dig that about you! Your Cut

Have fun in the Lingerie League where you can get paid to hit women. You can be the first man in the league and get coached up by Tim Tebow.

32. By ndpenner on May 3, 2013 | Reply

I’d say cut him so the Honey Badger knows that the organization doesn’t tolerate stupid off the field behavior. I can personally lose my job if I lose my driver’s license, get a DUI, or serve jail time. Why can’t that apply to athlete’s who make millions of dollars?

33. By T. Stone on May 3, 2013 | Reply

I forgot to add this ending to my last post.

IDIOT

And the definition?

An idiot,( Daryl Washington),dolt,(Daryl Washington ) or dullard
    (Daryl Washington) is a mentally deficient person, (Daryl Washington )or someone (Daryl Washington )who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. Daryl Washington

Good riddance to bad rubbish

34. By clssylssy on May 3, 2013 | Reply

It’s not surprising that things escalate and get out of hand, when there is a child involved. Women can taunt a guy, get physical, get crazy, hold a kid over a guy’s head to use as leverage and immediately she is the victim because she is female?
    Daryl Washington is not the first high profile player on this team to have similar “domestic violence” issues with a baby mama. Sometimes the best thing is to let things play out in court and be vindicated there when there when there is doubt. Certainly an unstable person with a history with the police of assaulting a previous boyfriend could be capable of inflicting injuries on herself for show, and the fact that Daryl is cooperating and facing this head on rather than paying her hush money, speaks in his favor. It will be interesting to see how this impacts his career with the Cardinals. I’m hoping for the best for him and would hope he goes for full custody and is more cautious about the company he keeps–he can do a whole lot better! Domestic issues are always messy and I hope the younger rookies are paying attention to what can come with success and money and benefit from this unfortunate incident.

35. By red bird of death! on May 3, 2013 | Reply

D Wash will clean up his act and be back in game 5 to start ripping throats lets not all jump ship on this guy he was the only consistent guy last year on d and never complained about being on a team with a top 10 defense and a 32cnd place offense.The guys a warrior and I stick by my team and it’s players,GO CARDS!

36. By ored on May 3, 2013 | Reply

just one more thing to the list of waiting for,we got through FA,and then the draft.
    now we wait n see how this plays out,training camps,preseason still to come,then it gets real interesting to see how we play with minter,here’s to hoping for continued improvement and no backsliding.i’ve heard it said,”good teams overcome adversity”,if we got good players and the coaches know what they’re doing,we’ll be fine.we been through losing a player and next one up,last year,but it’s only one player,and we have an offense this year-big difference.could be the lesson learned here is we can be a good team regardless.just hope everyone grows from this.

37. By wayne on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Not good news for Washington, the Cardinals and us fans. The reason why is when the police don’t arrest you the day of the accusation of breaking any law but come back and arrest you is because of evidence found and the DA wants to
    press charges. Out here in California even if the victim decides not to press
    charges the state/DA still will. I am praying that the charges are false bu

38. By Eazy E on May 4, 2013 | Reply

I read a bit of it and it is serious. Let’s let all the details get out like Darren and the Cardinals have been saying because it is a lot of he said she said and especially she said.#Let’s be patient #Don’t Judge

39. By Red Dead Redemption on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Funny Keim cited Washington as one of the leaders on this team, who would be a “great example” for Tyrann Mathieu to follow.

This was after he got suspended for four games too, so The Cardinals had to know there was issues there and made me not respect his comment.

This can mean only one thing to me, Cardinals talked to Washington about the substance abuse and checked to see if there were other problems involved.

Washington had to lie to the organization about what he was going through. Otherwise they would have got him some help and there are plenty of great teammates he could have reached out as well.

I can forgive substance abuse, but no way can I forgive this, everything I am hearing is scumbag 101.

He’s great and I love him as a play maker, but if I am the Cardinals I am praying he somehow comes out of this legally alright.

Then he can get back to playing at some point, so his trade value goes up and other teams can focus on him doing his thing the field.

After the season, I’d trade him for the most value I could– to any team dumb enough to take him.

Time to put character before playmaking and throw this scum out.

40. By clssylssy on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Apparently, the alleged “victim” reportedly threw an artificial plant at Washington and could be facing charges herself. The press is having a field day and are painting Washington as a brutall bully based upon the woman’s broken collarbone and bruises. It is possible to sustain these kinds of injuries in a perfectly unrelated home accident…I once fell over our white lab while running to answer the phone and not only broke my collarbone but also sustained bruises on my arms and legs as well as a broken wrist;.marbel floors can be very unforgiving! Just saying, it’s possible to appear beat up through other means!

41. By Christo on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Ugh. Wonder if we should just take the hit and trade him? We won’t get market value for him, but we could easily end up with nothing; as he clearly can’t shake the demons.

42. By Chuck 1 on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Acquire another ILB.
    Trade him at the first opportunity.
    He will be a continuing problem with his character issues.

43. By Patrick Eagan on May 4, 2013 | Reply

:(. He has let me down. hes got such a bright future. :(.

44. By Ed on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Why is it being assumed he took the phone to check it to see who she was calling. It’s more likely he took it to prevent her from calling the police which if true makes his criminal culpability all the more greater.

45. By ored on May 4, 2013 | Reply

some of you people need a time out,quit judging and convicting already.

46. By joe 67 on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Making a baby (or two) doesn’t make you a man. Raising them and being a father makes you a man.
    I like him on the field, but not so much off the field. If they wont llet you see your child have the police escort you in and get it resolved. Such a waste!

47. By Modavaysean on May 4, 2013 | Reply

All you so called fans need to quit the hate. You have obviously never had a crazy gf. I have and it can’t imagine having a kid with one and being locked down to one. I have had a dv charge BC after being beat up mentally and physically by her I finally snapped. A week after my face swelling went away she started another argument just to try and get me to do something like this and it worked. I never had a history of violence before that. Turned out she needed it so she can get a reason to get out if a lease agreement and go to an old man with money. After I did everyrthing I could at the time to bring her up. There are women like that everywhere and they are very deceptive. They no the laws and use them to get what they want out if good men. Is it a lil weird he let this woman back in his life and all of a sudden things go to hell. If you haven’t walked in his shoes DON’T JUDGE until you no the the truth.

48. By red c rider on May 4, 2013 | Reply

thank you, Ored. None of us witnessed the event so how can we pretend to know what happened? let’s let the justice system unfold as it should, and then if you want to make judgements so be it.

49. By joe holst on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Hello HE bROKE HER COLLARBONE. xtra 910 has the report. espn nfc west mike sando. 2 charges disfigurement- he is pretty much screwed.

50. By mark on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Washington has made two big mistakes, but everyone is really getting to far ahead of themselves. He is still innocent until proven guilty! Apparently Washington pushed his baby momma to the ground and it resulted in a broken collarbone. Not sure if this is even true, but woman can do something crazy things. I know for a fact some girls do stuff like this just to get money, or for the thrill of ruining Darly’s career and image. I will be a fan until I die and fully BELIEVE he will not get traded. Keim and Bruce Arians are not that stupid to let the best player on our defense go.

I do not like the idea of signing Dansby or Urlacher because of how old they are. I really rather use our youth and help them develop. Bruce Arians is known for finding success with youthful teams, and I believe in him. The Cardinals on NFL.com are ranked 26th right now. How I am always so appalled at how bad they think we are. Lets make the world believers! BIRDGANG!

51. By Chuck 1 on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Drugs: Strike One

Aggravated Assault: Strike Two

Now, we’ll learn about Michael’s, Keim’s and BA’s value beliefs.

52. By G Witt on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Does anybody remember Michael Pittman? He had big off the field problems,with his wife. It could have been his girl friend. He played for the Cards for a short time.Then went to I think Tamapa Bay or Miami. Had the same problems there. He was out of football before long.
    I hope this isn’t going to be DW’s life story. Evidently they both know which buttons to push, so the other one loses control.

53. By Chuck 1 on May 4, 2013 | Reply

How many bad (problem) apples (players) does it take to spoil the barrel (team)?
    1) TM
    2) DW
    3) ???

54. By Derek DeVore on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Just to early to make any judgment on this. But as of late everything has been positive except Washington.

55. By DontTakeLosses on May 5, 2013 | Reply

It appears DWash has been charged with a class 3 and a class 4 felony:

56. By steve on May 5, 2013 | Reply

I have had problems with drugs Had crazy women push my buttons never reacted in violence AND I WASNT A NFL PREMIERE PLAYER

57. By tyman on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Maybe the team should look into getting Brian Urlacher seeing that Washinton is all ready out a few games before this.

58. By tyman on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Is this not at bad subject to have people comment on? Its not really football related. Well he could be suspended, but what ever happened wasn’t on game time. Has the internet not made these personal matters a way bigger issue in the last few years? We have courts to rule on what happened and its Daryl’s own personal business I Think. Not really the fans.

59. By Rio on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Washinton, i quess his only out now would be Oakland.

60. By Chuck 1 on May 5, 2013 | Reply

Based on the comments I’ve read on this thread, it appears that drug use is more prevalent and relationships with bxxxxx females are more of a problem than I thought.

61. By DontTakeLosses on May 6, 2013 | Reply

DWash: has a complicated case. IF the circumstances are “aggravated”, he could face 2 to 8.75 years. The prior arrest/conviction/probation probably comes into play only if felony, drug test probably not material to this. .. Her past as a baiter if true may mitigate. Tough case, this will go awhile. Not getting any feedback on this one. I’ll go silent now…out..

62. By Dr G on May 6, 2013 | Reply

T Y R A N N M A T H I E U ! ! ! A R E Y O U P A Y I N G A T T E N T I O N ???

63. By Dr G on May 6, 2013 | Reply

Playas! If you want children, do it on purpose. Find a good girl and get married. Don’t get trapped with the sweet talkin’ sugar babe who is out for your money. These girls lock in a nice income from this activity…. The dumb asses with a good contract just trust the “ladies”…. gentlemen, they are trappers, not ladies…. then they use the innocent children to work you hard.

Why does this stuff just keep happening? A sucker is born every day, the “ladies” say….. He goes from DWash now to Washed Out….

64. By BluePitt on May 8, 2013 | Reply

THUG!!!! ALL I need to know
    “When Washington was 17 and before he became a star at Texas Christian he had a run-in with the law that put him on probation until 2009.

He and a group of now-former friends were involved in a fight, and they stole money from the lone victim. They were later arrested, and Washington — charged as an adult — ultimately received probation time for robbery that didn’t end until last year.

YUP!!!!!

2. May 3, 2013: Cardinals Linebacker Daryl Washington Arrested | NFL Draft Reports
  3. May 3, 2013: Daryl Washington arrested on two counts of assault – NFL News | TopHeadlinesNews.com
  4. May 3, 2013: IDP Update: Daryl Washington Arrested | IDP Manor
  5. May 3, 2013: LB Washington charged with aggravated assault :: Inside The Hype
  6. May 6, 2013: Arizona Cardinals Daryl Washington arrested on two counts of Assault After Beating Baby Momma |
  7. May 20, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Moving the draft later
  8. Jul 27, 2013: Daryl Washington arrested on two counts of assault – NFL News | City News Blogs
  9. Mar 24, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Washington court case coming to close