Practice bubble work underway in Tempe

Posted by Darren Urban on May 7, 2013 – 11:42 am

As Michael Bidwill had mentioned back in February, the practice bubble is being built.

The $4.2 million indoor structure — paid for entirely by the team — has been something the franchise has worked toward and talked about for a while. The Cards have started the excavation and grading work at their Tempe facility, which will eventually be followed by the foundation work and then construction of the actual practice facility itself. The target date for completion is sometime later this summer, and vice president of media relations Mark Dalton said the hope is for it to be ready to use this season. Kent Somers reported the Cards are still in the process of securing a couple of the final permits.

The last few years, the Cardinals used the practice bubble at Arizona State a few times during the hot days of the early season. The fields at the Tempe facility have been reconfigured a bit to make room, with the far two fields to the east taken out and the second outdoor field now running east-west instead of north-south. Field One, closest to the team’s building, remains north-south.

The Cardinals have yet to announce the location of training camp, but Dalton said the bubble is not being considered as a training camp option. “We do feel the ability to practice indoors in a climate-controlled environment during the hot weather months will have a positive impact on the team’s ability to prepare and compete,” Dalton added.

BubbleBlogUSE

Tags:

21 Responses to “Practice bubble work underway in Tempe”

1. By siege911 on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Come back to Flagstaff. It’s nice up here.

2. By JAKE on May 7, 2013 | Reply

If it is done by Training Camp why not use it instead of moving everything to Glendale?

3. By CDJ on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I will guarantee that there is at least one person who will say that we should go back after Rhodes again, just wait

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Can’t wait for training camp to start Here in the ‘Valley of the Sun’ !!!

GO CARDS!!!

5. By Crawdaddy on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Stupid not to be in Flagstaff..it was such a FAN friendly camp. I enjoyed my trips up the hill..I will not go to UOP for camp..sterile environment

6. By Travis on May 7, 2013 | Reply

60 degrees and beautful in Flag… Season tickets to the Lumberjacks will be a lot cheaper than my Cardinals tickets. Miss em already. Is it fair to be upset that I can’t walk to NAU at lunch to watch practice anymore?

7. By Christopher on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Darren ~ I was born in 86, Cards came here in 88. My ENTIRE life we have gone up to Flag for Training camp. It’s memories that I hold dear to me, especially because some of those Family members are NO longer with me. This was the First year I was going to be able to take my 18 month old daughter to Training camp. But I will NEVER go to training camp unless it’s in Flag. Seriously I don’t care that more fans can come see them that’s the Problem. You have 50,000 fans instead of 5,000 – 10,000 fans at camp and it won’t even be Enjoyable. The Red White and Blue Practices will suck. You could wait in line to get an auto for like an hour and then it’s already over before you see anyone unless there going to extend the autograph session. To me it seems like a Way to bring more money in. This was voted the BEST training camp facility in the ENTIRE NFL. I am REALLY UPSET about this. What are the chances they go back to flag??

8. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Christopher —

RE: Flagstaff

9. By Coach Kevin on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Prescott is the ideal location. I believe they have also offered to build a Cardinal facility. They have all the land needed, lots of hotels, and the perfect weather. And its only a 90 minute drive from the valley. Prescott needs to be the permanent training camp for the Cardinals for the long term. Especially if the city is willing to work with the Cardinals.

10. By RJ on May 7, 2013 | Reply

The Phoenix Cardinals. The fans in Northern AZ no what I mean. Still a loyal fan.

11. By Sean44 on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Also indoors will keep the sun off of BA’s beautiful delicate skin.

12. By ored on May 7, 2013 | Reply

cdj…already said previously would be good for dansby and rhodes to come back on short low cost contracts.both are still good vets that could not only still play,but help rookies develop.win win.

13. By T. Stone on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Don’t go cheap and don’t hire any structural engineering people that have previously worked for the Cowboys.

14. By 949CardsFan on May 8, 2013 | Reply

How about taking a page out of the Cowboys playbook and come to Calif for training camp? Take up residence in Dana Point for a month, sounds great to me. I’d be there every day. Haaa

15. By YumaCardsFan on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Why not San Diego? I know trying to keep the team in AZ to help the local economy by San Diego is perfect weather… and well, closer to me than Flagstaff was….

16. By sbrown on May 8, 2013 | Reply

this practice bubble has been talked about since the Dave Mac was the head coach. This dome helps the team for AFTER they break camp ( Flag / Tempe / Glendale / or where ever ) to hold practice at the Tempe facility in Sept-Oct when it is still over 100 degrees here in the Valley. In the past the Cards used the dome at ASU, but had to bus their players to ASU from Tempe, and had to work around the Sun Devil schedule. Now the Cards will be able to schedule their practices to their schedule, and not waste time every day on a bus.

17. By Christopher on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Thank you Darren, and Shame on Flag if they didn’t accept a reasonable offer. I do still question if that was the case. From a business perspective it’s better to hold Training Camp at your own bubble or even U of P where i expect it to be held this year.

18. By BluePitt on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Good luck with the permits in Tempe, most construction trades dont want to do a thing in Tempe because the city management is insane!!!! On Campus at ASU there is no City inspections……. Just State and County!!!! So the Bubble went up with out a hitch!

19. By sbrown on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I know everybody uses “Flag” in talking about the Cardinals training camp, but really it was NAU that the Cards had the contract with, right ?
    Also, did the Flagstaff Visitors / Convention group ever chime in, I’m sure the community of Flag would like to keep whatever financial benefits ( $$$ ) that training camp brought to their local businesses ?
    IMO, I think training camp will be in UoP this year, just hope they can figure out the logistics for the fans to attend, maybe their afternoon practice sessions…

20. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2013 | Reply

sbrown —

RE: Flagstaff

Yes, the contract was with NAU.

2. Jun 27, 2013: Arizona Cardinals Building $4.2 Million Indoor Practice Facility | The E.L.S.I.E.com