Still on the market

Posted by Darren Urban on May 7, 2013 – 11:13 am

The draft is over. Rosters for most teams have ballooned to the max of 90 or near it (the Cardinals, right now, have 88 on the roster.) And yet there are still a ton of veteran players out there without jobs that you wouldn’t think would be without jobs.

Some players you can understand why it might be happening. Both Michael Adams and Paris Lenon played significant time last season for the Cards, but both were free agents and their time had run its course in Arizona. Adams was always a Ken Whisenhunt favorite — with both Whiz and former special teams coach Kevin Spencer in San Diego, I expected Adams to end up with the Chargers, but it hasn’t happened yet — but his size isn’t great for a cornerback. Lenon played well but at his age, teams are looking to go younger and cheaper.

Of the players cut, Kerry Rhodes still hasn’t been picked up, nor Early Doucet or Beanie Wells. It’s not surprising with Beanie, unfortunately. His knees aren’t in good shape and he’s going to have to pass a physical for someone. But I thought Doucet would have a spot by now and Rhodes too. The Cards wanted Rhodes to take a pay cut, yes, but they wanted to find a way to extend his contract too and apparently he passed. So now what?

Those aren’t the only “names” on the market. Profootballtalk.com actually has compiled an “All-Unemployed team” of players still looking for jobs, and it’s a pretty impressive list. (The Cardinals have been linked to defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis, by the way, and they still need to sign a couple of players.) Some of these veterans are looking for money they probably aren’t going to get. Former front-office guy/agent Andrew Brandt pointed out this morning some vets may not be in a hurry to sign because the same minimal offers out there now will be there closer to camp (and then the vet doesn’t have to show up and work in the offseason.) That may be true. For some, you have to consider the risk/reward. Even if Lenon, for instance, was paid minimum, is that worth it at age 36 for the pounding his body takes?

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Still on the market”

1. By scuba-steve on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I think what this piece reflects is that you give a hoot what happens to players you have known,…good stuff ! I wish everyone success and that they can either get picked up or figure out their future. Glad Skelton got picked up immediately, if he works out the kinks he will be a great quarterback. I sort of wonder if the team got lucky in those first 4 games and that the Levi Brown injury exposed us ?

2. By lg on May 7, 2013 | Reply

i would like to have kerry rhodes back any word on joshua cribbs.

3. By 2liberal on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I think the Cards might be wise to sign up Lenon with the DWASH situation and at least have him up to speed with the new defense.

4. By Daniel Jepsen on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Dansby too is still out there? No love for that to happen?

Hoping they bring Rhodes back, lot of love for him!

5. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2013 | Reply

lg —

RE: Cribbs

6. By Dynosoar on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I didn’t know the team tried working a deal to Rhodes. Would love to have him and we still have some spots open. Even if we had our 90 men, based on past experience I’d think they’d bring him back and release someone.

However, unless that happens I’ll support the 90 that are here.

Daniel,

I’d give you a thumbs up for Rhodes, but it washes with a thumbs down for Dansby. Dansby didn’t want to be here and I think Lenon did a better job. I should look at the stats for both and see if my impression is correct. I did compare Washington and Dansby at one point and Washington was by far the better player (I don’t remember Karlos getting arrested or suspended though.)

7. By Nolan on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Hey darren do you think that if kerry rhodes had a change of heart and decided to take the pay cut, the cardinaals would pick him back up?

8. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Nolan —

RE: Rhodes

I would highly doubt it at this point.

9. By philly cards on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Shouldn’t the fact nobody else picked up rhodes be considered? You don’t drop 20$ and walk away and its still there.

I really hope we get a strong saftey. The fa we signed from oklahoma are ok. I looked it up I saw they were the best players on a bad defense. Good move if you have no other plan. But I would expect that they have a plan we haven’t seen yet.

10. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I really like what the coaches are doing from all angles.
    They are washing out those players who have not performed at a Playoff level. It has less to do with age or monies, but that’s always a consideration. the players cut have not been picked up by other teams for a reason.
    I really think we have plenty of talent on this team to compete in the NFC West but play calling last year was horrible and injuries with young players as backups hurt us.
    No excuses anymore RedBirdz, just win baby.

11. By georgiebird on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Are the Cardinals moving forward or backward? We want to have a decent season with guys who are on the upswing- not has-beens. I wouldn’t pick up any of the players mentioned because they won’t be able to help us in 2014 when getting to the playoffs will be a possibility.

12. By Alex Casillas on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Is there any chance that the cardinals would renegotiate and offer Kerry Rhodes something? I mean the guy is still a player and we aren’t in the best place with the safeties we do have.

13. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Alex —

RE: Rhodes

As I have said many times, I don’t expect Rhodes back. But I’ll never say never.

14. By Duaine on May 9, 2013 | Reply