A “carry-a-big-stick-type of dude” at LB

Posted by Darren Urban on May 9, 2013 – 8:56 pm

Kevin Minter was the Cardinals’ second-round draft pick, an inside linebacker from LSU who very well could be starting from day one. But he was also taken about an hour before Tyrann Mathieu, who obviously was a much bigger story and has stayed that way. Even Thursday Minter was reminded of it, during his own press conference (which happened to come after Mathieu’s). Minter was asked how he felt about being drowned out by the Mathieu spotlight.

“It is what it is,” Minter said, shrugging it off. “Tyrann was amazing (in college). Even though I was obviously picked before him, the guy was a playmaker.”

Minter will probably be heard from himself sooner rather than later as a Cardinal. That would probably have been true anyway, but with Daryl Washington to be suspended the first four games of the season, the Cards are going to need Minter.

“I feel like I’m a great leader,” Minter said. “I’m not necessarily a hoo-rah type of guy. I’m more of a speak-softly-carry-a-big-stick-type of dude.”

That’s not a bad kind of person to plug into the middle of the defense (although Minter is just 6-feet tall, which you notice when you see him in person.) He probably isn’t going to garner the same kind of attention Mathieu will (few in the NFL draft will, to be honest) but Minter didn’t come across as the guy sweating the spotlight. What he did do a few times was talk about how anxious he was to start playing, which begins Friday with rookie minicamp.

“I’ve got to make my presence felt,” Minter said. “I feel like I’m going to do that in these coming weeks.”

– The Cardinals are bringing in just five players to rookie minicamp on a tryout basis: QB Caleb TerBush (Purdue), C Mark Pratt (Youngstown State), C Adam Bice (Akron), TE Kyle Auffray (New Hampshire) and CB Reggie Topps (Utah).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “A “carry-a-big-stick-type of dude” at LB”

1. By ored on May 9, 2013 | Reply

how cool is it that we get our “thumper”in the middle and two playmakers in tyrann and patrick all from the same college team,that also played together,also two texas linebackers were teamamtes.

2. By sbrown on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Kevin, don’t worry as soon as you and your Cardinal # 51 jersey puts a “big stick” on some poor running back trying to go up the middle, the Big Red Fans will give you big props ! Looking forward to seeing you put the hurt on those NFC West RB’s !

3. By vegas4u2012. on May 10, 2013 | Reply

In my book…ACTIONS SPEAKS WORDS!!..Nothing else matters.I can see Tyrann starting off as a nickle-back first to learn the system…& give him a shot w/punt returns w/Peterson.I can’t see many teams kicking to them.I also feel Minter will have to be thrown to the sharks early…but will have big shoes to feel in DWASH!!!…GO BIG RED!!

4. By carlo milano on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    I read that minter has 16% body fat,is a lot!
    I think is mature person for being 22 but working better in the gym
    He is a good straight speed(run 4.68 at his pro day) but not so much literally
    If he swap some of his fats with muscle could be more effective then he was

5. By eric on May 10, 2013 | Reply

this guy is gonna be a good one…for a long time.

6. By Josh T. on May 10, 2013 | Reply

BA and the rest of the organization are working hard to make sure that this team of guys really is a team, not just a gathering of talentented individuals. I like that they are stressing relationships, one on one coaching, and continuity. I think the BA years are going to be good ones for Cardinals fan. GO CARDS!

7. By Dynosoar on May 10, 2013 | Reply

His comments reminded me of Merlin Olsen, who as a defensive tackle for the Rams and part of their “fearsome foursome” had 14 pro-bowl appearances in his 15 year career. He was a gentle man who carried a big stick. He never “hated” opposing QB’s, he just went after them and enjoyed playing the game.

Looking forward to seeing Minter speak softly and cary a big stick. While LSU may give my Volunteers big fits each year, they’re not on my crumb list like The Tide (who wear the wrong color of red). Very pleased with having him on our team.

Looking forward to a grand fine season. Can hardly wait, but I will. (Unless I can somehow discover that elusive time warping wormhole Mr. Hawking keeps describing.)

8. By Travis on May 10, 2013 | Reply

What’s the word on Dansby?

9. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Travis —

RE: Dansby

Signed. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Bring-Back-Karlos-Dansby/adee34b8-7f70-4c6e-a8f7-e89a168916af

Gotta check the website.

10. By Travis on May 10, 2013 | Reply

woo hoo!

11. By sbrown on May 11, 2013 | Reply

hey Dynosoar, if you find that wormhole, lets go back to the SB interception Harrison on Warner with the run back, no way that should have ever happened ! That and the Pitt. Cheeters on that no catch to win it at the end also should not have happened ! nah, I’m not bitter…much Go Cards !!

12. By ored on May 11, 2013 | Reply

carlo….that’s what training camp and preseason is for…conditioning and practice-nfl style.