What Dansby’s return means

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2013 – 11:05 am

A few days before Karlos Dansby made his first appearance at University of Phoenix Stadium after leaving the Cardinals – this past season when the Miami Dolphins visited – the veteran linebacker was asked his opinion of the man the Cards had drafted to replace him: Daryl Washington. Dansby replied in classic Dansby fashion.

“He’s a dynamic player, what more can I say about him,” Dansby said. “He’s very athletic, very fast. He reminds me of myself. They did a great job of getting the guy to fill that void.”

It was that moment when there was a little Dansby-envy swirling for those of us listening who had covered Los when he was in Arizona. He was always energetic and always could give a good quote. (One of the all-time favorites was when I was doing a story on teammate Sean Morey agreeing to donate his brain to science right at the beginning of the concussion talks first exploded. I asked Karlos what he thought: “That’s huge, man.” That was always one of his go-to expressions. Trust me, you had to be there.)

The man could play some football too. The Cards never wanted to let him go — they thought they had an extension ironed out before the 2009 season but that fizzled when Dansby changed agents — and his price tag got too high. His price tag might’ve been too high again (there was a reason he wasn’t signed yet) but Dansby’s chance to return home where he still has a home was too important. “I told my agent to bring (the salary) down,” Dansby said to me this morning, motioning his hands down like he was doing a version of his old dirty bird celebration. Dansby couldn’t stop smiling. Regardless of what the contract is, he is happy.

– He doesn’t have a jersey number yet. He won’t get 58. That’s Daryl Washington’s.

– No, his return doesn’t mean Washington is on his way out. Actually, you have to think the Cards have some decent plans to play them together. That would make sense, and Los could be a rusher from the outside if needed. He is versatile.

– DC Todd Bowles knows Dansby, because Bowles was in Miami in 2010 when Dansby was there. Bowles understands what Dansby can do.

– Between the addition of Kevin Minter in the draft and Jasper Brinkley and Dansby, the linebacker corps looks pretty decent right now, when it was a huge question mark back in early March.

– Only eight players remain on the roster that played with Dansby the first time around: Darnell Dockett, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Leach, Reggie Walker, Rashad Johnson, Calais Campbell, Levi Brown and Lyle Sendlein.

– It’d be great if Dansby comes full circle and could end his career here, but let’s remember this is a one-year contract. Right now, he’s in the same boat as guys like Rashard Mendenhall, Antoine Cason and Matt Shaughnessy. They all want to be getting paid more money, and are counting on good years to improve their stock and earn them that kind of contract. Dansby will be trying to do the same. We’ll see if Dansby-the-sequel has a long run in Arizona the second time around.

– That said, did I mention he was pretty happy?

DansbyBlogMeanUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “What Dansby’s return means”

1. By Chris B on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Putting Dansby, Washington, and Minter on the field at the same time should probably be a priority for the Defense. If Minter is half as good at the other 2nd rounders on the field (Dansby, Washington, Campbell, and Dockett -3rd round, but close enough) I think that would make the LB’s for the Cards some of the best in the league.

Still need a pass rushing OLB, but beggars can’t be choosers.

Los, bring the goatee back.

2. By Patrick Eagan on May 10, 2013 | Reply

glad to have him back. Go Cardinals!

3. By wilyb on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Can’t say I’m surprised by the signing of Dansby to a short-term deal. While the Cards are not bereft of talent to fill the void created by Daryl Washington’s 4-game suspension, Dansby will be better than those substitutes (at least for the short-term). And given the pending domestic violence charges and the timing of their resolution, Washington could be suspended for some or all of the remaining games of the season (or worse, some or all of next year). Dansby could be the difference between a 2013 defense that is great or good, and one that is below average.

Dansby gives the Cards options in the face of a lot of uncertainty about Washington’s future with the organization. Hopefully it is not too late for Washington to straighten out and “fly” right. It would be a shame if his promising career is ended by off-the-field activities.

Darren – how much cap space was used?

4. By Travis on May 10, 2013 | Reply

That’s Huge Man!!!

5. By DontTakeLosses on May 10, 2013 | Reply

That’s huge, man.

I have a Cardinals towel on my wall, grass stained from the end zone where Dansby, Adams, Breaston et al were celebrating. It was directly in front of us, we have row 1 end zone seats, wifey dropped the towel while patting (pounding) them on the back during the end zone scrum/hug… after the OT Playoff win over Green Bay, 2009. Steve Breaston retrieved it for us. Of course, we never washed it.

That was huge, man;)

6. By Kurt on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Great news, helps offset the Washington fiasco

7. By hummer53 on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Gotta love one of the OG’s of the #birdgang coming home.

8. By Louisville Card on May 10, 2013 | Reply

This is a great pick up now if they could just add Freeney or Abraham I think they would be a contender for the division and the Super Bowl. They’ve done a great job in upgrading the positions that needed it. Still wish they could’ve kept AW around for one more year, but I’m still excited to see the new team.

Is Dockett like a new man around the facility with the new scheme, new coaching staff, and now Dansby back? I’m looking for a big year out of him and the defense in general.

9. By D on May 10, 2013 | Reply

With the number of LB’s on the roster I see something else by this signing. We will know by end of training camp if Walker and Schofield will make the team, but I think they have the bodies all across each LB spot that gives them the flexibility to play the draft pick from TX as a DE, maybe a future replacement once DD is done here.

10. By Mike T on May 10, 2013 | Reply

It means that I’m very happy going into this weekend. It’s almost too good to be true. Keim is just on fire this offseason! I’m loving it!

11. By Andy Kw on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Now, if only Antrel Rolle can be cut by the Giants so we can bring him back to replace Yeremiah Bell.

12. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Wilyb —

RE: Cap space

I don’t know how much the deal was worth yet. Cards had about $8.6M of cap space before the signing.

13. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Dockett

Sounded that way to me: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Aggressive-Approach-For-Dockett-Campbell/bcdd219e-9e0f-4bf9-92d4-b7d307eb95bc

14. By SoulVIBE on May 10, 2013 | Reply

When DWash comes back after 4 games, Im thinkin they should move him to OLB honestly, to keep Dansby and Brinkley inside…if thats how it plays out we would have Acho, Dansby, Brinkley and Washington as our starting LBs…and that is a dam fine set of LBs right there…how it will play out remains to be seen, but this is a GREAT singing imo, glad to have Dansby back in the Nest

15. By red bird of death! on May 10, 2013 | Reply

We have to beat teams when we are away ,and we have to regulate the seagulls and the 69ers otherwise it’s 8-8 or worse , This is the best team we have had since 09 no doubt. Will we step up and really figure out how to win again …..I hope so Arians is impressive and the whole offseason has been great moves , but like we all know the answers to this will be on the field. I look foward to this season and commend Mr. Bidwell on his approach .

16. By Andrew on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Darnell at DT, Calais as DE, Rookie texas DE , schofield OLB, Acho OLB, Washington MLB, Dansby MLB, Peterson CB, Powers CB, Honey badger FS, Johnson SS

17. By Dan on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Welcome home, Dirty Bird! I’m looking forward to seeing you put Colin Kapernick on his back, and more than once! There’s room for both you and Daryl, believe me. While you’re keeping Kapernick caged up, Daryl can try to put a blanket on Vernon Davis.
    The greatest radio call I ever heard was the Spanish announcer calling your takeaway from Aaron Rogers to the house in the 2008 NFC playoffs. He was screaming in delirium “Deeeeeerty Beeeerd, Deeeeeeerty Beeeerd!!”
    I echo his sentiments exactly.

18. By Steve on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren: I’m not sure I like these one year deals but I realize Dansby is 31 and probably is nearing the end.

19. By johnnybluenose on May 10, 2013 | Reply

SWEET!!!! now, please everyone stay healthy.

20. By fortun8s on May 10, 2013 | Reply

WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE CARDINALS – Time to shop Washington before he ruins any chance he has to return to field. As good a player as he is, He will draw a great price and one good enough to make use forget about him.

21. By georgiebird on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Regardless of my feelings on Karlos returning- I hope he has a monster year.

22. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2013 | Reply

D and Andrew,

Alex Okafer is 260 pounds. He is not a 3-4 DE. He is a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He would need to bulk up 20-30 pounds to move to DE.

Dockett has been listed as a DT to get votes for the probowl. I think that is wrong because he has been a 3-4 DE. A 3-4 defense has a NT, two DEs and 2OLBs and 2 ILBs. No DTs.

If we go to a hybrid 3-4/4-3, he could jump into a DT, which most teams do. But a 3-4 has no DTs really.

23. By ored on May 10, 2013 | Reply

awesomely done,congrats to keim,karlos=blast from the past.if okafor starts his own legend,the safetys,o-line,and running game prove themselves,even with a harder schedule we look to be 5 games better than last year.we had no offense last year,none,nada,zip.can you imagine if defense improves or even just stays pat and then the offense improves to the defenses level,serious western conference-nfl,deal with it.wiz is probably thinking,i coulda done that,well maybe,but you had your chances.just exciting to see new gm/coaches making solid decisions and the players getting on board.

24. By carlo milano on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Which of the inside linabacker could really play Olb in 3/4 defense????

25. By scuba_steve on May 10, 2013 | Reply

This is interesting, Hoyer has one start in the NFL and has 96 pass attempts, he will not be around come September. He will be cut as there is no trade for him. Heck Skelton got picked up in 2 days vs this guy being unemployed most of last season with no team picking him up.

26. By ored on May 10, 2013 | Reply

and,nice suit karlos,but you can hang it up for awhile,got a bird suit waiting for you,one that is meant to get dirty and wrinkled.

27. By Chuck 1 on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Re: Hoyer

When QBs are injured in the pre or regular season, Hoyer’s trade value will increase.
    He is too good to be on a Practice Squad (if he’s even eligible for that).
    I trust Keim’s judgment on signing him.

28. By Chuck 1 on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Referencing my post on an earlier thread regarding D. Wash:

1) Acquire another ILB: CHECK (Dansby)
    2) Trade DW when the opportunity arises: TBD (because he will probably be a problem off the field going forward).

29. By stevephoenix on May 10, 2013 | Reply

A Leader!!
    Finally, a true leader at middle linebacker. DWash said he wanted to step up and be a leader. Dansby can show him how to do that.

30. By lostsok on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Dansby was eaten up by TEs in Miami. He’s a 2-down player now. If Arizona doesn’t realize this and use him accordingly, Kapernick will eat up the middle of the field. Dansby couldn’t cover a fat woman in a cast on a slant route. Sad, but true.

There’s a reason Miami went out of their way to dump him…

31. By Patrick Eagan on May 11, 2013 | Reply

theres nothing more that i want in this world, than to for the cardinals to win the super bowl!

32. By tbru on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Welcome home Karlos. I am excited at getting this deal done.

33. By kyates9094 on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Here’s really hoping that the Cardinals and Karlos Dansby can reproduce the past successes we had together. Refresh my memory Darren, I really thought Karlos might have burnt some bridges when he left here the first time. Am I misremembering or is this another case of play well and all is forgiven. Anyway, as I started with, I am hoping for the best. Always love our Cardinals!!!

34. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2013 | Reply

kyates —

RE: Dansby bridges

I’m not sure why people think he left on bad terms. He wanted to be paid. The Cards didn’t think he was worth that kind of money. Both sides did what they felt they needed to do. By the time he left, everyone knew he was going to leave.

Besides, the Cards need him and he needs the Cards. Those things tend to build bridges.

35. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    When will we see Karlos Dansby back in Cardinal’s uniform?

36. By Peter in Canada on May 11, 2013 | Reply

I think the Dansby signing is great. Miami let him go because of money and nothing else. He is old but not old like Joey Porter was and he fills a need which is what FA signing should be about. I wouldn’t worry whether he can play ith DW because it will be a while before DW is back and it is a 1 year deal.

37. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Dansby

He’s already back in their uniform.

If you mean physically on the field, there are workouts next week.

38. By wilyb on May 11, 2013 | Reply

lostsok – why so down on Dansby?

Yes, he is older and slower. But being young and fast is not an automatic recipe for success. His experience will help overcome some of the shortcomings created by his diminished physical skills. And his leadership, as they say, “priceless.”

When Miami played the Cards last year, I didn’t see “a fat woman in a cast” on the field. Dansby had 7 total tackles, 4 solo tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack, and 1 pass deflection. Our own Daryl Washington had 5 total tackles, 4 solo tackles, no tackles for loss, 1 sack, and no pass deflections.

You sound like a jilted Miami fan.

39. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Lets see, what players still remain when Dansby was here:
    -Larry Fitzgerald, Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, Lyle Sendlein, Levi Brown.
    Idk who else

40. By Corgon on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Sweat! Welcome back!
    He’ll also fill the void in the veteran leadership what Adub and Kerry left after themselfs. Damn good job from the team.

41. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Players left

Do you even read the blog posts you comment on?

Look above.

42. By Nolan on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Hey darren, charles woodson is still out there and hes gotten NO LOVE, before he was being a little picky but from what i see now, he just wants to play… Regardless of for who. Do you see the cardinals showing interest in him this offseason maybe just for a one year contract even? Thanks urbbb!

43. By philly cards on May 12, 2013 | Reply

That’s what happens when you lose a proven guy. We suffered. Gambled on washington to replace him. Imagine if we weren’t drafting to replace FA in 2009 and 2010 we have fully packed team.a smart coach with better temperment keeps FA here

44. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Nolan —

RE: Woodson

I don’t see it now that they drafted Mathieu.

45. By Andy Kw on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Mr Darren Urban, for a blog post which I didn’t ask you to respond to, I didn’t read the entire blog. It’s my fault that I didn’t read that section, sorry about that.

46. By truths4all on May 12, 2013 | Reply

You can’t go wrong if you add Woodson to your roster as a player of that experience and caliber will find his way onto the field to make plays and impose his presence on the game.

If Woodson signs a one year contract with the Cards, is there anyone out there who would not see that as an upgrade to the defensive secondary? If so, please name which defensive secondary players on the current roster are better than Woodson?

The Keim/BA regime is looking to win games right now so carrying defensive secondary players of lesser caliber when Woodson is available would be foolish and that is something we saw a lot during the Whiz era.

47. By xBIGxMx on May 12, 2013 | Reply

I say let the first snap happen and let them prove what they have. Every one is already saying too old or too slow or not D-3/4. I say let Arians do what he has to do and wow us when it comes to that first snap. Welcome back home Dansby!!

48. By T. Stone on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw.

RE Job

We are sorry to inform you that your position as “Inside the blog post blog writer” has been eliminated. Your Fired.

49. By Mike Ellingboe on May 12, 2013 | Reply

@truths4all,

Let’s turn this around, and ask you this. If we sign him for one year, who are you going to cut to make room for him? If the past is any kind of indicator, we’ll probably carry five CB’s and four Safeties. By my count we’ve got PP, Cason, Arenas, Powers, Fleming, and possibly Bethel at CB already, with Bell, Johnson, Matthieu, Amaya and maybe Jefferson making a good run at a roster spot. That’s eleven right there. Of the safeties, the probable starters are Johnson and Bell, with, for now, say Amaya and Mathieu backing up and making most of their contributions on special teams. We didn’t sign Bell to make him a back-up, or release Wilson and Rhodes with the idea of leaving Johnson on the bench. I don’t see where he fits?

50. By Dynosoar on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Patrick Eagan,

How about two or three or four Super Bowls? Alright, we can start with one in NY next February. That can then be preparation for Home Field advantage in the 2014 season.

51. By Andy Kw on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Thanks T. Stone, very much appreciated. I can’t be fired because I quit, just kidding. I make mistakes and sometimes I over look things, I guess being fired was the right thing to do. I don’t get paid anyways.

52. By Credit Card on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Billick ranks the Cards 29th out of 32 teams. I think the Cards have more talent than what Billiick is predicting. The biggest obsticle the Cards will be facing is all the vast changes (new players, new coaches, new playbooks, new parctice field) … their competition is perfecting their already known systems.
    Lets face it, the Cards had to install changes, may as well make it all one season. Plus, being undr the radar will also help.

53. By Derek DeVore on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Great to have you back Karlos!!! You and the leadership you bring will be
    valued in the new era of big red football. With Washington out of his mind.
    We are very glad to have you back in the mix!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

54. By Chuck 1 on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Andy,

You’re a good sport.

55. By Chuck 1 on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Until proven wrong, I’m still calling for an 8-8 season,
    Billick will be proven wrong.
    No playoffs this season. But, look out in 2014.

56. By Chuck 1 on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations on taking Mothers” Day off.

57. By wilyb on May 12, 2013 | Reply

While I respect Brian Billick’s knowledge of the game of football and his ability to coach a football team, I have zero respect for his prediction of where the Cardinals will finish the 2013/2014 season. According to Billick:

“If anyone can get Carson Palmer to return to form it is Bruce Arians, but Bruce Arians won’t be playing offensive tackle. The Cardinals’ two starting tackles from last season finished first and second in the league for sacks given up and they’ve done nothing to address the need so far this offseason, although they should get starter Levi Brown back from injury on the left side.” May 9, 2013, http://www.foxsportsarizona.com.

Picking the Cards to finish 29th on the basis of an offensive line that is improved from last year (where they finished 26th) does not make sense to me. Billick doesn’t mention that there was more than one starting left tackle, and the first one (no longer with the team) was horrific. In addition to drafting guards Cooper and Watford in the 1st and 4th rounds, respectively, the Cardinals get Levi Brown back at left tackle along with the 2 rookie tackles from last year whose trials by fire led to much improved performances by year end. I think Billick’s view of the Cards is Biased.

I hope Bruce Arians puts Brian Billick’s prediction on the locker room bulletin board and the Cardinals’ offensive line shoves it down Brian Billick’s throat.

58. By Jason on May 13, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I was reading this on espn.com this morning and thought about the offensive line vs. draft position/value discussions we had ad nauseum before the draft.

which made me do a google search for Reily Reiff

It looks like these guys will get every opportunity to prove you wrong…or right.

59. By Dave Chaney on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Whenever I would see Karlos’s name on the available free agent list, I kept wishing the Big Red would sign him again. I am very happy they did and his presence in the locker room and on the field, when you consider the talent and leadership abilities he brings, will be awesome! He may even help straighten DW out. Welcome back!

PS: Do y’all think it’s too early to think about an 8 win season??

60. By sbrown on May 13, 2013 | Reply

to Mike E. & truths4all…
    last season, opening game vs Seahawks the Cardinals had on the roster as DB’s:
    CB’s, six: Peterson, Fleming,Adams,Gay,Toler,Bethel.
    FS”s, two: Rhodes, Sanders.
    SS’s, two: Wilson, Johnson.

note, they did list Bethel under the CB and the FS positions, but I only listed him once.
    that is 10 players for DB’s, I think they would keep at least this many, if not one more. Always a chance Keim makes a trade before the start of the season, remember the AJ Jefferson trade to Minn for a sixth round pick, that he later moved to pick Ellington.

61. By Mike Ellingboe on May 13, 2013 | Reply

@sbrown,

10 would have to be the max, otherwise you’ll leave yourself shorthanded somewhere else. I’ll grant you that it’s possible this regime could do that, since they probably won’t carry a fullback. Still leaves us pretty tight in the secondary, and doesn’t answer where Woodson fits in.

62. By Mike Ellingboe on May 13, 2013 | Reply

@Dave Chaney,

Until we get to 7, yes.

63. By John The Draft Guy on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Jason,

The way the draft went, I figured he would be moved to LT. Funny, one moment they are moving him to guard, next moment he is versitile and can be used even as a center, now he is their LT.

Reiff could end up a probowler, what do I know, but with his short arms Im not sold. After all, this is the Lions. For Safford’s sake, hopefully they are right.

Next thing you are going to tell me is Levi Brown is a LT. :)

I always go by the Good, Better, Best way of thinking.

So, think of Leonard Davis., can Davis play LT? A Little. Would he be a better RT? sure. Is he best at Guard? Well probowls say yes. Dont fit someone into a role that doesn’t make him at his best (ala Dockett as a 3-4 DE) I think the same with Peterson. He is a good CB. No doubt he is getting the job done. He could be a hall of fame FS though (IMO).
    Its just my philosophy. Reiff is not at his best at LT. Again, what do I know. We’ll see.

64. By Jason on May 13, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I think it’s a good theory…and the “best” example might be Antrel Rolle-an average CB, a pro bowl S. I think you’re wrong about PP though, he is going to be THE elite corner in this league very soon. My issue with your evaluation of Reiff remains the same…you just haven’t seen him play the position at the pro level. We got to see that Davis didn’t have the feet to play tackle and that Antrel didn’t have the top end speed to play corner and they made the necessary position change to maximize their potential. Lets see what Reiff and Buluaga can or can’t do at LT before we determine what their ceilings are.

65. By Woody on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Shoot, lets play this season out and c where we can make changes at the end of it. Next year we got to have our team right because we could be in the SuperBowl in our house. How great that would be!

66. By dan on May 14, 2013 | Reply

The reason Billick hates the cards is because he is a meat and potatoes guy who believes football is about controlling the line of scrimmage with a power running game.
    I agree with him, and we were pathetic last year in this respect. But with new tough RB’s, new tough guards, Levi and Bobbie at tackle, and a philosophy committed to bloody-nose football at the line of scrimmage, hopefully we’ll be much more competitive.

67. By John The Draft Guy on May 14, 2013 | Reply

Dan,
    Being that Arians only ran the ball 34% of the time last year with a rookie QB, I’m not sure you are going to see that kind of football.

But being in the NFC West, where the teams are tough and hard nosed, maybe the old dog will learn new tricks.

68. By John The Draft Guy on May 14, 2013 | Reply

Jason,

One of my favorites in the draft was Justin Pugh. He is much in the same mode as Buluaga and Reiff. All three are athletic, good feet, and have short arms for LTs.
    It will be an interesting season to see how these 3 do. Rodgers was sacked more than anyone last year, so any move is positive. Retirement and the way the draft played out for the Lions left no other choice.

As for big slow footed LTs with long arms, they tend to reach and are open to the dip or spin moves. Short armed tackles let the defensive player to get his hands on first and control him. Getting a long armed tackle with great feet is ideal. Must be why the 3 tackles went so fast.

As for PP, there is no doubt he could be a good player anywhere. He is big, fast and athletic. Oh, and I know my opinion is in the minority about the move to safety and with the addition of the honey badger, I wouldn’t move him now. But here is what I see.

When the ball is in the air and PP sees it, he has great ball skills adjusting and making a play on the ball. I’ve watched him come off one wr to pick the ball intended for another wr. Sitting in center field, seeing the field, the QBs eyes, reading the play as it develops, his explosive quickness and great speed, along with his uncanny anticipation all makes for a HOF safety. This guy could put the fear of God in QBs the way Ed Reed does. Look at Palamalo, Reed, Berry, or Earl Thomas. These guys make game changing plays. You cant hang the ball out there for a wr with these guys out there. PP is that kind of player.

Now, at CB. He could be an elite CB. Every team wants that elite shut down CB. He has loads of promise, but also was torched by Crabtree and others. He is not Darrelle Revis or Deion Sanders. He plays a lot of man with his back to the QB limiting his ability to locate the ball and make plays. He plays outside on one side. It is very easy to run plays that puts my top wr inside and PP is covering a number 3 wr. If he becomes elite, you could go games without hearing his name as teams hit Harvin and Austin in the slot or go the other side.
    Now dont get me wrong, having a true shut down CB allows coverage to rotate over and the DC to be creative. He helps the defense at either spot. I just think his playmaking abilities would be better suited for FS.

I like Arians thinking with the honey badger. He is a ball hawk who will be playing FS and jumping on wrs in the slot. If he can be that guy, PP will be more effective because, like Richard Sherman, he can take chances knowing he has that safety like Thomas overtop.

69. By Jason on May 15, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I’m not disputnig that PP wouldn’t be a devistating FS and you make solid points…but, you said that “He is a good CB. No doubt he is getting the job done.”

He is already a pro-bowl corner in his second year, so to say he is a ‘good’ corner, seems like you’re selling him short. You’ve made the argument for highly drafted safties that pro-bowls are justification for their loftly draft status…it seems like PP having a pro-bowl year last year should elivate him to ‘excellent’ cornerback. Even Revis wasn’t “Revis Island” until his 3rd year, he made the pro-bowl his second year (just like PP) and went all-pro his 3rd season.

Basically we agree. You just sort of downplay PP as a corner because of your strong belief that he would be a better/HOF safety…while I’m using the standard belief that safeties are easier to comeby than an ‘elite’ corner which I believe PP is on the verge of becoming.