More Moore for rookies

Posted by Darren Urban on May 16, 2013 – 5:11 pm

As I was walking out to take some pictures at today’s OTA with special teams work going on at the outset, I noticed Larry Fitzgerald spending some time with assistant head coach/offensive guru Tom Moore and snapped off a photo:

They spoke for about 10 minutes. That’s no surprise. Fitz is learning about this offense like anyone else. But what I have noticed is that it is Moore spending most of his time with the younger players. It was noted Tuesday that Bruce Arians is splitting the OTAs into two simultaneous practices, so that the vets can get in the reps they need but the rookies also get a chance to get more reps than they normally would. (That’s a benefit of having a big coaching staff.)

Everyone knows Arians is going to call plays. He’s the one running the offensive show with the vets. But then Moore, with his years of knowledge and ability to teach — that was made clear by Arians from the start — is on the second field, getting key points across to players who are just learning the NFL game. It’s a extra benefit with the way this staff is constructed. Will it speed up the learning process for the young guys on offense? That remains to be seen, but it makes sense. With a coach in Arians who likes to use young players, you can certainly see it working out that way.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “More Moore for rookies”

1. By cards4sb on May 16, 2013 | Reply

You know as my wife can atest, I am not the most optimistic person on the planet. But, with all this info, I can’t seem to get it out of my head that something very special is going to happen with this orginazation in the near future. Maybe within 2 yrs. People who are signed with this team actually seem to really WANT to be here and the managment is really focused. The vibe is incredible. They DO seem to WANT it. Of course only time will tell. But getting the reps for the vets and the rookies in this manner can only be a good thing. Again, time will tell. I have never felt so good about our red birds. Go CARDS!!!!

My prediction-
    Russel Wilson has a sophmore slump.

The NFL catches up with the 49ers. The Ravens manhandled and showed them their you know what’s in the Super Bowl before the lights went out.

The Rams and Cardinals get a lot BETTER!!

2. By Chuck 1 on May 16, 2013 | Reply

I pounded the table from the GIT GO for the Cards to hire BA when most of the hype was for Reid and others.
    Now, BA’s hiring of Moore appears that it might have the benefits that were hoped for.
    We can only hope that, at the end of the season, the W-L record will validate Michael’s and Keim;s decision to hire BA and BA;s decision to hire Moore and his other coaches, especially Bowles, who was roundly criticized by many fans.

3. By DontTakeLosses on May 16, 2013 | Reply

Arians/Moore duo: “I’m lovin’ it”.

4. By shannon robinson on May 17, 2013 | Reply

As a rugby coach, I’ve always chafed at the number of guys standing around at a typical football practice whether its college or pros. Keep them moving, make them run, challenge athletes to react under pressure when they’re tired, in oxygen debt. Giving everybody more reps is a huge breakthrough to me. I’m seeing the use of more coaches as hands on teachers – very impressive.

5. By Josh T. on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Just can’t echo enough of the positive feelings I feel from other fans. Maybe part of it is how broken hearted we all were with the team last year, but I’m really starting to get very excited. A lot of talent- dynamic players like Rhodes and Lenon- left, but smart, reasonable decisions were made. Something is attracting players and coaches to this team. CARDS4SB- I think you hit it on the head. Hawks and 9ers will still be strong teams, but I doubt they will display the kind of dominance they did last season. Defenses are gameplanning for them, and Wilson won’t be able to rely on deep lucky bombs and his legs as much this year. He will have to develop an itermediary game. Kaepernick is a little more intimidating but unless he states pulling some of the whiz off those high hard throws I see him tossing a lot more picks this season as balls bounce off players. I’m curious how much resolve the kid will have, how much mental toughness, when he has to face more and more tough situations. NFC West football will pull towards the middle this season in division games in terms of W-L. The Rams are going to have a great certical passing game this year too I think. Hope our coaches are dissecting their games against the 9ers and finding some inspiration for causing problems and mismathces. Go CARDS!

6. By Dynosoar on May 17, 2013 | Reply

What a concept, players actually playing and practicing instead of watching the first team all day and getting 3 reps with they’re first real evaluation and playing time comming in pre-season.

These coaches may come from old school, but they sure don’t act like it. What place would be better to play than for the Cardinals, none if your a rookie, undrafted FA or viewed as a backup.

I love that we have coaches who want to be here, Fitzgerald who wants to be here (how many times over the years have we had arguably the best, or at least tied as the best, for any position who wanted to be here?) and FA’s and rookies who want to be playing for the Cardinals. And Dansby even reduced his asking price to come back.

Michael Bidwill is doing something right and I see this ofseason as one of the two best things in Arizona since the Cardinals moved (heck, probably in the top two best things since the Jim Hart/Roy Green/Otis Anderson days). The other being the combination of Warner and Whiz.

NFC title, here we come!

7. By Louisville Card on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Like others posting on here I’m very impressed with the new regime and their philosophy.

As you noted no other team runs the dual practice. Do you see this being the new trend if it works out with the cards? What has stopped teams from doing this before? Coaching staff size? Practice Field availability? Seems like a no brainer that this is a great idea…

8. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Dual work

I’m sure it’s a little of everything. Plus I would guess you have some coaches leery of breaking the team into “varsity” and “JV.”

9. By Dynosoar on May 17, 2013 | Reply

I think Darrens response to Louisville is spot on. I also think everyone voews the NFL as different somehow than college football. How many pundits and former players (and current players) are saying Chip Kelley can’t do what he did in college in the NFL because it’s a different game.

Don’t college players become NFL players and if something works for college players, why wouldn’t it work at the NFL level?

I think BA’s aproach is brilliant. Looking forward to beating the Eagles for a second time in the NFC title game (fingers crossed, salt over shoulder, looking in the sky for them pigs and yes, optimism levels are super high).

Looking forward to BA and Kelley showing the old school that there are better ways to do things. The beautiful part, if these two experiments do work, it would take other coaches being willing to change and most people find changing a difficult task at best.

By the way, how did hiring a rah rah college coach work for the 49ers? How many NFL coaches have adopted his style? I don’t think we’ll see many double practices even if we do win the Super Bowl.

10. By sbrown on May 17, 2013 | Reply

after the last three seasons of 5 – 11, 8 – 8 and 5 – 11 it was time to turn over the roster and get “new” eyes on the players ( in the form of a new coaching staff ). I like what Keim ( in the big boy chair ) and BA and staff has done so far, every one of their moves were necessary. Only winning 18 games in three seasons, yes the division will pass you by, which they did. Maybe the Cards don’t win the division this season, they will be a better team, and when the time comes, they will be ready to take back the West. Plenty of room in the north end zone for another Division Champ. banner !

11. By Eric Thompson on May 17, 2013 | Reply

I love the idea of the so called “varsity” and “JV” practices its what happens in most sports and you move your way on up the ladder by impressing your coach. Sitting on the sidelines waiting for your minimal reps doesn’t make sense because your not able to show anything. BA is a great motivator and seeing what he did with the Colts last year I believe has helped bring the talent we have gotten in the offseason. I have not been upset at one single release/cut of any of the players because their time had come and gone and didn’t prove enough besides Rhodes. They were all replaceable and I believe Steve Keim more then just replaced the cut players he “upgraded”. Rashad Johnson can play in the box and actually cover someone which Adrian was unable to do anymore. Tyrann is going to be a ball hawk safety and turning the ball over I would more rather see then Rhodes big time hits but the other team still getting first downs. Cason/Powers is a MAJOR upgrade over William Gay, he was awful. Dansby is one of the most underrated signings in the NFL and that’s without Dwash’s trouble, when he comes back going to be a great backer core. Defense was on the border of great last year and now I believe the have done enough upgrades to be at the elite level of the 9ers and Hawks. What can I tell you about the offense, MAJOR upgrades to many to list. I’m most excited about Floyd being pushed to the outside opposite Fitz and Roberts can roam in the slot where he belongs. I see us back in the 3 receivers 1000 yard club like when Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston did it. Can I sound any happier over Whiz and Graves being gone?

12. By Ben on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Urb,

That is funny you mention the Varsity vs JV side of it. I was chatting with a buddy the other day about how cool the separate practices are and his first impression was: These are grown men in their profession, how would you feel practicing on a lower field looking up at the starters getting a better opportunity to shine. Then he noted, will you look better as a WR trying to make the team with Carson Palmer throwing you the ball or Ryan Lindley. And would it be better to hear from the coaches at the top field all day or hearing from the one on the lower field all day.

Interesting points, I am torn now whether it is a great idea or the greatest idea ever.

Production will tell I guess.

Maybe ask some of the people on the lower field if they feel like they are missing out on some essential teaching or if they feel they are getting a better opportunity.

Not sure they would say: It sucks being on the JV team, wish I was up there with Fitz. But may be worth the conversation???

13. By djjackson81 on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Here’s what I am seeing on a daily basis. The owners saying enough is enough cleaned house Wiz, Graves and some of there mistakes with them. Keim built a big board to Free agency and executed it nicely I believe they got most of all there top targets. AZ often would target certain FA and unless AZ overpaid those guys they would sign elsewhere. Doesn’t seem to be the case anymore guys are choosing the Cardinals and signing. I have yet to read a FA signed to a bad deal. No Colledge or Snyder deals so far. I love how Keim shows he knows the deal the great teams are built threw the draft plain and simple. You see all the one year deals. Well look at Keim’s first draft. It was a home run draft. Is there anyone who thinks after what we saw on draft day that Keim is not gonna get this organization to title games and soon? These one year deals are show me deals and the ones who impress will get extended and the rest are just buying AZ time to be filled through the draft. The veterans are put on notice get it done or get bumped by the rooks. I can see in slow motion these coaches and assistants walking in the door and simply saying ok what’s going on here? Hold on hold on pump the breaks change the tires and check the oil were going on a trip buckle up. Lets not forget it takes one bad hit for Wilson or Kap and we are on there heals.

14. By Josh T. on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Looking forward to getting back in the Stadium this season and proving what tough turf the birdhouse is to play in. All the energy around this team is just going to crescendo through mini-camp and training camp. People are even excited to see what the depth players and UFAs are going to do in the pre-season. The Red Sea is going to produce some terrifying tidal waves of noise and energy. Counting the days…

15. By cards4sb on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Hey ben,

When a player on the “jv” side shines he would get his opportunity with the “Varsity” and if he proves himself there….Well then their you go! At least these guys are getting the same verbage and direction first hand rather than watching how the vets do it. It can only be a good thing. We can only hope brother!! go Cards!!

16. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Even in school it is hard for the teacher to deal with 30+ students, no matter what.
    Michael B., Steve K. and BA see this problem is the same with this Team at this Time, therefore more teachers/coaches to see what All 90 players can do. Will they do the same thing next year with the dual practice? It would depend on to many factors to even go that far into the future with this style of Coaching in the NFL, I would say ‘It’s Wait an See.’

The one thing that stood out for me today was the short and to the point speech that BA told the team at the end of this OTA session, that summed it up totally.
    No sugar coating, just straight talk from the HC.

GO CARDS!!!

17. By Credit Card on May 17, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Shannon. I noticed that teaching and viewing players in an oxygen deprived state, allows the coach to see if the player can listen to a play, how fast their leg turn over rate really is, how internally strong the player is, and most importantly how effect a play can be when exhausted. Standing around with hands on hips — provides no info to game day environment.

18. By JOSEPH RATTI on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Colin who? Russell who? lets see them both do it again.Never saw two guys picked for greatness so fast with just one year under their belt.I love where we sit with Carson P.Watch out Niners,and Hawks here we come.Surprise,surprise!!

Go Cards, 1st year under BA 10-6 as long as we stay healthy.

19. By ored on May 18, 2013 | Reply

good to see so many positive comments,totally agree we’re going in the right direction.there are always changes every year be it run n gun,pistol,3-4,4-3,hurry up offense or whatever,this year chip kelly brings his phoenix suns tempo and we still have to show we can handle the 9ers and seahawks offenses and we bring BA’s system and his style,more old school but at least we should have a running game and a qb that can deliver the rock.so we may be a little behind in the new,next thing,but if we do our thing well,we should be ok,after all the defense should be stout and now maybe we have a semblance of an offense and a plan to help ball control and field position,which still play major parts in the game.

cards are rising.

20. By William Barry on May 23, 2013 | Reply

BA and Keim certainly set the tone of the offseason—their excellent draft w/two superb running backs, the exciting Ryan Swope, Minter in the second round, and Tryann in the 3rd round, …..( sounds like the Niners and Hawks won’t do well). They are overrated. An now, Crabtree is out about six months, and probably wont be back till week 9-10, if not at all, I think the Cards can overtake the Niners as Division Champs!!!!!! GO CARDS!!!

2. May 20, 2013: Around the NFC West: QB conversation | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS
  3. Jun 13, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Not wanting to repeat, Fitz is on the move