Frustration with the offense

Posted by Darren Urban on May 21, 2013 – 1:42 pm

It’s early — May 21 is far, far away from any game that counts — and the Cardinals still have six OTAs and a full minicamp left just in the offseason, not to mention training camp. But coach Bruce Arians clearly was frustrated with his offense after Tuesday’s work. For an offensive coach, it probably isn’t surprising.

“I couldn’t ask for any more effort,” Arians said. “It’s just that right now, our defense is way outplaying our offense. The offense needs to pick it up. We are behind where I’d like to be right now.”

Arians said he can’t really judge the offensive linemen. But that will come. The skill position players, though, need to get better, Arians said.

“We’re just not picking it up fast enough, not picking it up the way I want to at all positions,” Arians said. “Normally for the defense it’s a little easier, to put in a defense than it is an offense and have some continuity.

“I don’t like mistakes and I really don’t like mental mistakes. Especially if you made the same one last week. Correct it and have it in the books right now. The receivers are not getting that done.”

Arians wasn’t the only one noticing the offensive struggles. Quarterback Carson Palmer agreed with Arians’ assessment.

“It’s kind of how it happens,” Palmer said. “But that’s the competitor in him. He and I are both (ticked) off about it. I’m (ticked) off about it too. That’s the competitive side. You want to win everything. Every third-and-8 you practice, and we had 12 of them today, you want to go 12-for-12 and that may not be a realistic situation but it is what it is. Throughout my career I have seen it, in OTAs, near the end, (the offense) starts to catch up and trade blow-for-blow. It’s still not acceptable (now.)”

– At the outset of the OTA, the Cardinals held a moment of silence/prayer for the victims of the Oklahoma tornadoes.

OKprayBLOG

Tags: ,

45 Responses to “Frustration with the offense”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 21, 2013 | Reply

That’s what we brought you to Arizona for Bruce, to fix the offense. But we know you will hold them and everyone accountable which the last regime didn’t. Accountability and not being afraid to bench or cut players is exactly what this offense needs. Whiz proved you can’t win when you let your players make the same mistakes game after game after game without letting their heads roll.

2. By jocards on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I like what Arians has to say just about every time he opens his mouth….Of course results on the field will be the ultimate measure but he says the right things IMO.

3. By desertspin on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I think BA has hit the nail on the head, & in short order. While the world was laying it all on the O-line & the QB’s, the skill positions in the offense were dropping the ball (literally & figuratively). No one in the offense gets a pass on last season. All was probably a product of an offense that was being horribly run, but those days are over. There’s a new sheriff in town. Okay Offense, here’s your wake up call.

4. By Jason Cabrera on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Strange as it sounds, it’s nice to see some negative feedback from the Coach. There has been a lot of positive, and too much positive starts to sound like sound bites for the cameras. “We’re doin great” “We’re right where we need to be” etc…

I like to see a coach say “It’s not good enough. It needs to get better” This is exactly what I expected, and I’m glad to hear it. The D should be dominante right now. Baptize those recievers and QBs. Make them work. Figure it out!

I have somewhat high hopes for this season, and so far, I am happy with what I’ve seen.

5. By david on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Hey BA its been like that since warner left. Thats why mike b brought you here to fix it . Don’t be frustrated, find a solution and seperate ur self from coach wiz.

6. By Josh T. on May 21, 2013 | Reply

The offense is always ahrder to install than a defense. The line, TE’s, and RBs have to learn to read defenseive moverment to pick up blocks and time when they call pull off for blocking downfield and pull off for providing the check down options vital if the coverage is too good. This requires a greater awareness of the field and more on the spot decision making until it starts to slowly become second nature. Defense get to stick to the game plan until that plan breaks down with missed tackles or a blown press, etc. Stick to your zone or stick to your man. It’s not too complex to add things in at a faster rate. My bet would be that the defense has installed more of its playbook than the offense has so far and we shouldn’t be too surpirsed that a better isntalled, currently more complex scheme is beating out a vanilla offense. Palmer said it, by the end of OTA’s and in the start of training camp you will see the defense begin to get frustrated as they see their initial gains slip away and the offense begin to get the best of them from time to time. I think it’s great that BA wants more though. I like a guy who can reward success but refuses to be satisfied with anything less than perfection. Handled correctly it is the best way to instill and maintain drive, focus, and production from a team. Keep up the hard work men, the Red Sea is behind you all the way!

7. By xBIGxMx on May 21, 2013 | Reply

It is real disapointing the reactions that both Palmer and Arians have, didnt Arians watch the games last season? Now it’s time to show us how good of a coach he is and keep his word and stop complaining. How can Palmer be “TICKED” , he got picked by Peterson and he wasn’t even under preasure, I’ve seen the video. Thanks Darren for the update keep it up!

8. By Jason Cabrera on May 21, 2013 | Reply

xBIGxMx, I think you are WAY overreacting to what is being said. THis is waht we want, never satisfied with the way it is, always wanting to get better. I am not disappointed at all, I’m glad to see them saying they need to improve. This is definitly not complaining, this is a coach and starting QB saying “This is not where we want to be, but we will get there!”

9. By Sean44 on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I remember game film last year where two Arizona WR ran side by side all the way down field. Of course Skelton got intercepted, and over inflated that Seahawks CB ego. 3 defenders on 2 very close WRs is the same as 3 defenders on each one of them. Simple space-time reasoning. Was like watching horrible error filled college football. A QB might have a hard time seeing a Linebacker drop into a route line, but the WR or TE can see that. Its not rocket science to diverge a little to protect the QB from what he might not see. Somewhere the WR has to be aware of their route and when its a good route or when its going to go horrible wrong because the defensive coverage.

And OMG the WR for Arizona sucked with hot routes last year.. Hello! When you see 2 LB rush on your side, get into the vacuum space quickly. Its the only way having a RB be dominate pass protection to fight overload blitz.

Now that BA said it, reminds me of all the horrible game film. Like the WR where completely oblivious to what the defense was doing and when to respond.

LF is no exception on this.. I mean one play the safty was all the way down, he had a TD route if he ran in and up verses a Square in route.. I never seen such a big missed opportunity.

Hope BA can help them be more aware of defensive formations and hot routes. I have no doubt that BA is getting onto them for missing hot routes.

10. By xBIGxMx on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Hey Jason, I was, at that point disappointment just took over everything, one of the dislikes is mine on my own comment! LOL!! But Palmer was what just threw me over the line, he is included with the whole offense problem and again he can’t be “TICKED” if he was picked by Peterson. But you’re are correct overreacting is the right term…my bad!

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Watching the OTA highlight videos, Floyd sure looks like a beast out there.

12. By luke on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Our defense was 2nd in allowing tds and points. It shouldn’t be easy to install an entire new offense when bowells is only making our defense better. But give it time and it’ll work with moore and bruce i promise it will work out.

13. By cbsteill on May 21, 2013 | Reply

My gut reaction was that BA is just spinning BS, but I I hope that he is being honest and that this will be the personality at head coach that we need for this talented group to snap in line

14. By Jerry on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Well BA, you said it yourself that there was only a few
    pieces of the offense missing, maybe you needed to draft better for the oline and not the defense.I’m hoping everything falls in place the way you want it to. Step it up offense its your resume’

15. By Patrick Eagan on May 21, 2013 | Reply

i think this is better. Ken Whisenhunt used to hide everything. BA is more happy. The defense is better than the offense during the OTA’s almost every year. i am not worried at all.

16. By Eazy E on May 22, 2013 | Reply

#Pray For Oklahoma first and foremost

17. By Eazy E on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Lives and Homes and Schools are way more important than any football game or team or anything of that nature.

18. By Eazy E on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Coach Arians and Carson need to relax. Defense always are way ahead like he mentioned. They should be ready with that ”great” QB they have by training camp and the season.#SMH

19. By clssylssy on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I’m getting sick to death at having Palmer shoved down my throat as the magic bullet that is going to fix all our ills. The dude still has a LOT to prove and comes with some big baggage that he is beginning to live up to (arrogant and self-serving). He really is in no position to criticize anybody and should just stick to becoming a quality QB for the team. Having BA hawking him like some used car only makes me not only skeptical of Palmer but also makes me question BA’s credibility…players should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own merits–then, it’s time for the excitment and celebration. I have always thought the franchhise did Kevin Kolb a gigantic disservice by the mega contract, unproven, and sales pitch to Cards fans that he was the answer to the loss of Kurt Warner. The Cards did not fix the 0-line during the draft, they only shored it up a bit but then, BA, didn’t think it was all that bad! Now, it’s time to play the hand you dealt yourself without any mental mistakes! We have talent on this team and if BA can’t make it come together on the offense maybe it’s time to quit bashing Whiz. We probably have the largest coaching staff in the NFL with the most years experience, so I’m expecting PHENOMINAL results. PLEASE, ROCK MY WORLD! Go Cards!

20. By Matt N on May 22, 2013 | Reply

The offense not being up to speed with the Defense is understandable, but what I heard BA say is that receivers are dropping passes and making the same mistakes that they made last week. They are not learning. Darren, my question is this: We know that Roberts was called out last year for those mistakes, is he one of the main culprits this year? I think mental mistakes were more the problem last couple of years more that anything else. There is talent, they just make too many mental errors. Seems like BA wont tolerate them.

21. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Palmer “Arrogant and self-serving”

Did I miss something?

22. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Hey xBIG, no worries, buddy. I was very low last year after we missed out on getting a good QB and did nothing to address our Line issues, so I know how it can be with this team. We’re ready to be conflicted about our emotions. I REALLY like this coaching staff and am ready to see what we can do!

23. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

clssy,
    Come on, man. You must know what this is! The Cardinals have had a vacuum at QB for years, ever since Warner left. Now we have an honest to goodness starting QB in Palmer. No, noone is saying he’s Petyon Manning, and noone, other than you, has said he is going to be the “magic bullet”. Palmer is the kind of QB that Arians likes, big with a big arm. That’s good. He’s also got the chops to lead, and regardless of his rep, that’s something that we are hoping he can do. BA is telling it like it is, and I didn’t see Palmer as critizising anyone. They are saying that they are working on the issues with the team, and that is GOOD to hear. The only person I see actually critizising is you. I am not sure why you are so negative, but I do understand the frustration with the team over the past couple of years, trust me I was pretty down on it last year.

You’re going to hear from Palmer a lot. You’re going to hear ABOUT Palmer a lot. Why? Because he’s our starting QB. I am with you on the fact that Palmer has a lot to prove, but if he can hurl the ball 4000 yards this year, with Larry Fitz and Roberts and Floyd to hurl to, I think we are looking at a much better shows. Cheer up, man, we’ll be ok.

24. By Dynosoar on May 22, 2013 | Reply

of the twelve 3rd & 8’s, how many did they convert?

25. By tyman on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Frustration with the offense. hmmm. sounds like whiz. just joking.

26. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: third downs

No idea.

27. By wnycardfan on May 22, 2013 | Reply

So far, I’m loving BA. He’s talking good and saying good things. Like his attitude, his presence, his approach. I am very optimistic about this year. Not saying they are playoff bound, but just having more potential and going in the right direction is a plus. Carson, not sure why anyone is dumping on him as of now. He’s a leader and next to the coach, should be taking the reins and leading. His resume is good enough that he has earned that respect.

28. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

My question is about the run game. That has, in my opionon, been a pretty consistent issue, even through the years with Warner. I haven’t heard too much of the thinking on the run game from this regime, other than the fact that BA doesn’t like running by committee (I agree with that). Do we have more info on how we’re looking to run?

29. By scubasteve on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Sean44,

Good post and I sort of remember that play in Seattle. Frankly the receivers were not that special last season, drops in Green Bay and Fitz lived with double coverage and the others struggled to get open. They have to run the right route and catch the ball. I remember Doucet tripping when the ball was in the air toward the end zone in 2011 in Cincy !

Good piece on Skelton comparing AJ Green to Fitz.

30. By clssylssy on May 22, 2013 | Reply

@ Darren, regarding “arrogant and self-serving”..Need I say Palmer’s rep preceeds him. Fact is, he has the reputation for quitting on his last two teams, has not accepted any responsibility for the Raiders losses,but instead was a “victim” of being mismatched with the wrong team, wrong coaches, wrong fan base, etc, etc. I guess you could say the same for Kolb, Skelton, Hoyer… He threw 4000 yards and that is terrific but ONLY when it translates into wins! I’m just saying he’s kinda in a position himself to be starting a new chapter and is one to be critiquing his teammates or being “disappointed” in anybody! (sounds arrogant) I hope he is all that he is suppose to be but think he should be given the benefit of being allowed to succeed or fail without the added burden of being overhyped as Kevin Kolb was…geez!
    @ Jason…I don’t think I’m being overly critical when our 0-line was acknowledged all season and into the present as the Cards biggest issue needing to be addressed. We have not done this and have no depth there so are only marginally out of the same situation we were in before. The QB issue was not good but no QB could have had a successful season with no protection! I just read an article grading the Cards offense second worse in the league behind the Chargers due to the strength of our 0-line. However, the upside is that knowing this early leaves time for it to be fixed:)
    @ Darren…completely off topic…Is the Cardinal Organization doing anything to help the Oklahoma victims of this weeks tornadoes? I know some individual players have made donations etc. and some teams like the Colts are helping. Given the Bidwills legacy for humanitarian work and involvment in such causes, as well as that of our players, it occurred that there might be some kind of organized effort going on?

31. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Run game

I think he will want to run the ball but does that mean run-heavy? Probably not.

32. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Relief

I have not heard of anything.

33. By Darren on May 22, 2013 | Reply

xbig and clssy
    I think you two just don’t like Palmer and trying to nit pick. Give him a chance, if it doesn’t work; then tear him apart.

34. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

@ Clssy – Sure, the offense LAST year was horrible. I completely agree with you. I was very critical of the regime last year when in the draft they didn’t take enough peices to fix the line. I agree hat Kolb would have been ok, if JUST ok, with a decent line in front of him. But it is a different year. Last year, Brown was out for the majority, along with other injuries we had to move folks around to positions they weren’t ready for or used to. THIS year, we drafted probably the best Guard to come out of the draft in a long while, Levi is back, and the other guys on the line had a full year of getting beat up on to learn where the issues were. I think we will see a lot of improvement there.

As to Palmer, time will tell. I like him, I think he is the kind of guy we needed, but that’s an opinion just like yours concerning his selfishness. End of the day, it’s gonna be about how he throws, leads and manages the game.

35. By ored on May 22, 2013 | Reply

not so sure about others but my positive checklist still has more going for it than the negative checklist-we’re still not even close to playing real games,lots of time for new staff,players and returning members to find their rythm and come together as a team.regardless what some seem to think,asking a team to be all on the same page requires more than just a few ota’s,there is a reason why so few can assemble a team successfully,and BA did it last year and now we will be beneficiieries of his knowledge and work ethic.

as for palmer,he deserves the same chance we gave kurt,he’s been playing at a high level for awhile so let him prove himself with our recievers before critisizing him before the season even starts.i will be more than happy if he has the same qb stats as with oakland and all the better if it translates into more wins also,maybe even a playoff berth,something we all want .

36. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

So primarily talking about just enough run to keep the defenses honest? I kind of understand that thinking, but I would love to see us push our run a bit more. We became VERY one dimensional, and nothing keeps your defense rested and thier defense demorilized like running the ball down thier throat.

37. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Run game

I didn’t say that. I just don’t see them becoming run-first. We’ll see. Check out Indy’s offense last year and you’ll know what Arians likes to do.

38. By Louisville Card on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Nice article as always…What happened to Starks did he want to much money, or not pass his physical? Seems like if they were going to pick him up he would’ve been signed already…

Also how has Tyrann looked in practice? Does he look like he took last year off, or is he looking like the Mathieu they were hoping to get?

39. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Starks/Mathieu

Starks signed with San Diego. I’m sure he was guaranteed a better job than here, where he would have had to win a spot.

Tyrann: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Safety-First-For-Tyrann-Mathieu/ea0a556a-fe34-4722-873a-e0cb53d49833

40. By Jason Cabrera on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying.

41. By Cody Zarr on May 22, 2013 | Reply

All this time I never knew that being disappointed in someone or something with a factual and reasonable basis for the aforementioned disappointment made you arrogant and self serving. I learned something today.

42. By Paul Liccardi on May 23, 2013 | Reply

I know bruce and his staff will get this fixed, because he started with what is most important the offensive line, I have coached youth football since 1999 and from little league to the pros without an offensive line you cant do much of anything, unless your barry sanders

43. By Paul Liccardi on May 23, 2013 | Reply

I cant agree more with the comment about accountability I loved whiz but I think his down fall was letting the same people make the same mistake week in and week out, I would get so mad watching the same guys get the same stupid penalties and whiz never getting mad at them it is called discipline and think we will have that this year, keep up the good work bruce and his staff and steve and the front office

44. By sammy on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Interesting comments Skelton made about last season getting stale !

2. May 25, 2013: Around the NFC West: WR complaints | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS