Staying healthy this time of year

Posted by Darren Urban on May 21, 2013 – 10:21 am

There’s never a good time to get injured, especially a serious injury. Undrafted rookie wide receiver Javone Lawson tore his Achilles tendon in a recent workout, and told The Daily Advertiser in Louisiana he will have surgery. That will lead to a roster move at some point. Lawson was a long shot to make the team, obviously, but you never want to see something like this occur. These days, guys usually don’t suffer those kinds of injuries in the offseason. They aren’t on the field much and contact is severely limited. That’s why you cringe when you hear a story like San Diego’s Melvin Ingram at this point of the summer.

You never want any injuries, but somehow there seems to be a sliding scale of how they are received: One suffered in the regular season you can reconcile better than one in the preseason, which is easier to deal with than a training camp practice, which at least happens when work ramps up compared to offseason work.

(And before anyone looks at me crossways for even speaking on the subject, no, I don’t believe in jinxing anything. A blog post about injuries isn’t going to cause anyone harm. Because I know someone was going to take me to task on that.)

I can think of a handful of practice injuries for the Cards over the years I’ve covered the team, but off the top of my head, I don’t recall any in the offseason. Practices in camp and in-season, yes. But nothing season-jeopardizing this time of year. Tight end Jeff King tore his quadriceps in May last offseason, but he was able to return early in training camp. Coaches (and the front office) hold their breath in the offseason for a couple of reasons: One, hoping with so much down time no player gets in off-the-field trouble. And two, hoping that when the guys are on the field or working out in some manner, they don’t get hurt. It’s why any little bump or bruise this time of year is consideration to have a guy stay off to the side and get better. No reason to push it. Not this far away from games.

UPDATE: The Cardinals waived-injured Lawson on Tuesday. They replaced him with UDFA WR Charles Hawkins, a small (5-8) speedster who played for running backs coach Stump Mitchell when Mitchell was coaching at Southern University.

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Staying healthy this time of year”

1. By Patrick Eagan on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Go Cardinals!

2. By David on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Look at you Darren. Daring fate to take you on.

3. By Nick Pepe on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Come on Darren! We all know Kent’s the black cat, not you!!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

4. By D on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see that Seattle is going through many issues…not good that your stud RB doesn’t want to work out with the team…maybe the HC up there needs to watch the AZ Flightplan to learn about teamwork and see a leader in action like BA

5. By Jason on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I would’nt worry about talking about injuries, don’t people know it’s bad luck to be superstitious. Have a great day and thanks for the great coverage.

6. By Patrick on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t Gabe Watson have a treadmill injury. Not sure iof timeframe in offseason and can’t really call it an on field injury. Not sure he ever fully recovered from it.

7. By PotAsh on May 21, 2013 | Reply

So, I’m curious and maybe you’ve already answered this before.

How does health insurance work for players?

And, perhaps more critically, how does health insurance work for these undrafted rookies? Case in point, Lawson. Now that he is waived does he have to pay for it himself? Do undrafted rookies have to personally make sure they have health insurance in case of situations such as this?

Hope Lawson recovers quickly and heals well.

8. By Eazy E on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Damn Max Starks is a Charger! I wanted him to take Levi or Bobby’ spot. They are really improving their line with Fluker at 11 and now Starks.

9. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: Watson

He did suffer a treadmill injury. I think he returned for camp.

10. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 | Reply

PotAsh —

RE: Insurance

I don’t know all the ins and outs, but I do know surgery for a football injury is covered.

11. By CardsRepInChile on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Uh oh Darren, spoke too soon? Sounds like King is injured again??

12. By Darren Urban on May 23, 2013 | Reply

CardsRep —

RE: King

King I believe had knee surgery that had been planned since the season. He could be back as soon as the next round of OTAs in June.

13. By CardsRepInChile on May 24, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the update Darren, I hope he gets better quickly! Judging from his past, BA likes utilizing his TEs. While King is out, I imagine Housler is on field “A”…. have you seen any other TEs over there? Dray? DC Jefferson? Seems like we’re a bit thin at TE….