Crabtree injury elevates Boldin in SF

Posted by Darren Urban on May 22, 2013 – 2:18 pm

I actually heard the news from Larry Fitzgerald at first, after the Cardinals had finished the day’s OTA, that 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree had torn his Achilles, jeopardizing his season. That I’d be standing over by the receivers lockers was fitting, in a sense, because it will now be a player who once inhabited one of those lockers who must come to the forefront for San Francisco: Anquan Boldin.

First it will be interesting to see how Crabtree’s absence impacts the 49ers and, bigger picture, the NFC West. Crabtree had a big year in 2012 — he couldn’t have been Patrick Peterson’s favorite matchup — and no matter how loaded a team like the Niners might be, losing a player of that caliber can’t be a good thing (nor is it good for Crabtree, who is set to become a free agent after the 2013 season, but that’s for the San Francisco writers to dissect.) The bargain basement acquisition of Boldin in a trade with Baltimore gives the Niners a name to plug in to the void. What does Boldin have left (he turns 33 in October) will be seen, but it’s not like Boldin’s strengths have been something that time robs. He was never a speedster. It was about smarts and power and the will to get the ball. That’s still Q.

Still, if you are the Cardinals, you have to believe Peterson would do fine one-on-one with Boldin (or Mario Manningham or A.J. Jenkins or whatever receiver the Niners have left). In the case of the Cards, you still have to find a way to puncture the Niners’ defense and stop the running game behind that huge offensive line. But losing a star skill player can’t help the Niners, which mean it can only help their division brethren.

(For a good analysis of the situation, check out Matt Maiocco’s post.)

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “Crabtree injury elevates Boldin in SF”

1. By Mike T on May 22, 2013 | Reply

The thought of Anquan Boldin playing for the Niners still makes my stomach turn.

2. By djjackson81 on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Scks for Q to be playing for our rivals but it sure does shift the focus of our defense PP on Q. If we can 8 in the box against the run and double cover Davis we should be good.

3. By scubasteve on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Crabtree owned us that first 2012 Monday night game, Peterson was puppy like in comparison to being able to cover him. On top of that their D was no match for the OL, Aldon and Justin Smith collapsed any capability we should have had.

4. By infitzwetrust on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I’m sure Patrick Peterson is happy. Crabtree has owned Patrick for the last few games. Hopefully we can take advantage an try for two W’s against San Fran.

5. By Dynosoar on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I don’t wan to see anyone injured. That’s one reason I like rugby, guys are tackled all the time and there’s very few injuries. Perhaps the idea of football without pads is a good one.

Aside from that and wishing there was a non-injury reason for Crabtree not playing, I won’t be sad to see him on the sidelines. Do wish him a speedy recovery (January 15th should do nicely.)

Here’s to zero injuries to our Cardinals and especially for our O-Line and Palmer.

6. By Steve on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Which of our corners, in your opinion has the inside edge to start along side Peterson?

7. By Cody Zarr on May 22, 2013 | Reply

PP21 will probably be all over Q but that doesn’t always keep Q from making the catch. He’s made a career with average speed and quickness out of making catches when others wouldn’t and ridiculous route running ability.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see him scorch us but don’t expect him to be locked down just because PP21 has an advantage physically.

8. By thebreakneck on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Boldins haveing to catch more ball is going to see him missing some time i bet. That being the main reason AZ let him go he didnt have to do as much over the course of the season with baltimore and had gas for the superbowl. If he has to carry the load in SF he will be out no late than game 10

9. By Rio on May 22, 2013 | Reply

As far as Patrick covering Boldin like the guy said in the Movie TAKEN

Good Lucck

10. By Eric G on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Boldin in a Niners uniform makes me sick. Just wish he didn’t hate to live in Fitzy’s shadow.

11. By johnnybluenose on May 22, 2013 | Reply

why would the niners not treat crabtree the same way the ravens treated ray lewis last year when lewis was hurt? we don’t play the niners at home until dec 29th, seven months from now. will he be ready by then for a possible play-off run? there’s a kid right now playing hockey for the ottawa senators whose achilles tendon was partially severed in feb when he was cut by an opponent’s skate. maybe crabtree can come back too. by the way, crabtree also wants to thank darren for jinxing him by writing about “staying healthy this time of year”.

12. By NYCardinals212 on May 22, 2013 | Reply

infitzwetrust,

I see Peterson as being someone who looks forward to those opportunities where he can redeem himself. I have a feeling that he is very disappointed. Or maybe that’s just what I want him to feel.

13. By iammattyoung on May 22, 2013 | Reply

SEA and SF both made a lot of waves in the offseason, picking up a lot of “impact” players, which has pushed them into the forefront of discussions about Super Bowl-caliber teams. Let’s not forget what happened with Philly just a couple of years ago, and how rarely big offseasons translate to big regular seasons. The Cards might end up surprising a lot people in this division if thing keep going the way they have for SF and SEA (i.e. Irvin suspension, Avril injury, Crabtree injury).

14. By Eazy E on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I hate that for anybody but especially Crabtree that went to the same high school I went to. I was a freshman and he was a senior. He has and I love DRC and PP tormented both of them. He was coming into his own and he was Kaepernick’s favorite target. I hope he comes back this season strong because you need to play against the best to prove that you are getting better and improving. Boldin will slide right in and be a dominant #1, so we ain’t off the hook along with the rest of the league.

15. By truths4all on May 23, 2013 | Reply

So far, Boldin has been reported to be a no-show at the 49er OTAs.

16. By Darren Urban on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: CBs

I expect Powers and Cason, right now, to be some combination of No. 2 and 3. We’ll see how it plays out.

17. By louis on May 23, 2013 | Reply

wake up people i guarantee we will be on the bottom again until we find a owner and a new g.m. and a quarterback who knows how to throw a football.

18. By cardsalltheway on May 23, 2013 | Reply

“…but that’s for the San Francisco writers to dissect.) ”

If only we had writers that would dissect why and how Wiliam Powell was “insulted”(just like Marcel Shipp in 2004)) last year and why Ryan Williams has always been all that/so wonderfull according to our coaches/writers?

“The Cardinals added two running backs in the draft — Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington — to go with Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams .”

How about you delete Ryan Williams from your prior statement above and start including William Powell in the conversation?

How could everyone(but me and a few fans here and there) have gotten it so wrong?

Cardinals running back Ryan Williams admits playing ‘scared’

19. By clssylssy on May 23, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think Anquan needs for his teammate to be injured to be “elevated” into anything…lol! Let’s see, who has the SB ring? Q’s performance in playing a major role in the Raven’s SB win should speak for itself and I don’t believe he left the Cards because of any sour grapes about “living in Fitz’s shadow”…that’s absurd! I’m very sure Larry Fitz was thrilled for his friend to get a ring and strives to have one of his own which isn’t looking likely unless he changes teams too.These are professional athletes who are colleagues, friends and brothers that cross team lines. And, for those who will be outraged by my statement, Darren said something similar when Adrian Wilson signed with the Patriots! We can continue to hope but as long as we are in the NFC West it’s going to be difficult and rather unlikely.

20. By Darren Urban on May 24, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Williams writing

Oh, if you had only been paying attention.

From February 13 — three months before the Republic article:

21. By cardsalltheway on May 26, 2013 | Reply

Oh, if you had only been paying attention.

From February 13 — three months before the Republic article:

Yes, you reported it(approx. 1 week after the Super Bowl) but you didn’t give us the full Ryan Williams report/quote nor did you really an opinion about it like the Republic and NFL.com.

First the opinions of others and then the full report/quote…

Republic’s Scott Bordow – “It’s a sign of weakness.”
    NFL.com – Marc Sessler – “Why did he even step on the field last season?”

The full quote…
    “That was my least favorite play, because running to the outside, my whole right side was exposed,” Williams told The Arizona Republic on Thursday. “As soon as I saw (linebacker Brandon) Spikes coming to hit me, I curled up and forgot about the ball. It was something where I was trying to protect my leg instead of trying to protect the football.

“It’s a scary sight being a running back and being scared to run the ball. That’s something that no running back should feel. I was pretty much scared all last year to get the ball in my hands.”

Williams called his season-ending shoulder injury in October a “blessing in disguise”

The only thing you(Darren) said was “there are options at RB.”

Which statement by an NFL player do you think is worse or more embarrassing?

A) I don’t have a girlfriend(at an NFL combine interview).
    B) I was scared of running the ball last year.
    C) I got catfished(tricked into thinking a guy was a girl on the Internet).
    D) All of the above.

22. By BluePitt on May 29, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy, I couldnt back you more! Q is as of right now the only card WR that in my opinion is a first ballot HOFER!!!! Fitz has the exact same stats in the same ammount of games as Q but is missing the 2 SB’s and the ring!!! Fitz has his work cut out!

23. By BluePitt on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Boldin will own PPJ, PP12 or PP21 or what ever you people call Patrick Peterson, He is going to be good but Q is way out of his league as of right now….PP57 is not going to take the ball away from Q! Just not going to happen, it is what it is!!!! Every one said DRC would own him as well, but when we played Balt Q took over a drive and won the game!!!!!!!

24. By jason on May 29, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think Ryan Williams should be insulted for being honest. He could have made excuses, or blamed the injury or coaches or any other multitude of things that wouldn’t have been true. He was candid and admitted he was scared. I’ve never been a professional athlete. I’ve never had to go through two-a-days, trainging camp or spend countless hours in the weight room and film room to achieve something that I dreamt about my whole life. So I wouldn’t even to begin to judge the psyche of someone who saw the frailty of that dream and admittedly played scared. It is natural for the mental effects of a knee surgery to last much longer than the physical ones….which makes what Adrian Peterson did last year so amazing. The regime that drafted him is gone so there are no more “attachments” to him. Either he will be able to produce, or he won’t, and we have over three months to find out. I for one would like to see him make a full recovery and have a phenominal season, but I’m just an optimisic fan who wants to see all the players on my team excel….not crucify them in May.

25. By cardsalltheway on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Jason,
    ” The regime that drafted him is gone so there are no more “attachments” to him.”

Ridiculous, the Ryan Williams PR machine remains the same as evident when Darren talks about him at the same time ignores William Powell. Talk about “insults.” Just because the head coach and GM are gone means nothing until proven otherwise. Please don’t write an article sympathetic to William Powell 10 years from now. If you ain’t sympathetic NOW then much it later.

26. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Williams/Powell

The gospel according to cardsalltheway. Thanks goodness I know the rules to live by now.

You let me know when you get a job here and know what’s going on. Until then, I’ll stick to what I know is going on.