100 days away

Posted by Darren Urban on May 31, 2013 – 9:29 am

This isn’t easy to absorb, since the Cardinals still have a full week of OTAs and a mandatory minicamp to go (and I still have a vacation to take), but today marks 100 days until the Cards open the regular season in St. Louis.

(To take a trip down memory lane of season openers past, check out this photo gallery. Remember Fitz’s first NFL catch on the flea-flicker in St. Louis in 2004, seen below?)

There is much left to do before that day of course. Not only do the Cardinals finish out the offseason work but there is still training camp to go. There’s too much time left to really know how this roster is going to break down, but there will be interesting battles for playing time coming. Has Lorenzo Alexander usurped O’Brien Schofield for good? How will all the inside linebackers fit together once Daryl Washington’s suspension ends (although that’s a story for well beyond the opener)? How will Levi Brown look once he is completely cleared to play?

Most importantly: How will the new-look Cardinals perform when the games count for real? In 100 days, we’ll find out.

– Many have asked about the Larry Fitzgerald comments regarding the health of Ryan Swope. As I have indicated to some, I frankly hadn’t been looking for Swope one way or the other of late. On-field work resumes next week, and at some point, coach Bruce Arians will be available to talk again. I’d guess it will be addressed then.

An NFL.com story talking about Ken Whisenhunt, now the Chargers offensive coordinator, working with QB Philip Rivers. “It always starts with the quarterback,” Whiz says, and we all know not only is that true, but that Whiz lived with the consequences of it.

– Speaking of Whiz and one of his former signal-callers, wondering where Max Hall is these days? Trying to QB in Canada.

100daysblog

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “100 days away”

1. By Kurt on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Super Max was fun to watch.

2. By Brian on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Love those old unis with the AZ flag on the arm. Good look. Wish they’d go back to that more often…

3. By Dynosoar on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Brian,

HaHa. I was looking at the photo and thinking how much I like the new uniiforms more than any we’ve ever had, except maybe the plain red ones with no other markings except the white numbers.

Perhaps we could use the above uniform you like as our alternate and ditch the black.

100 days and I’m counting.

4. By Lixto on May 31, 2013 | Reply

fitz first catch was also against a.williams and old time cardinal… a very good db…..

5. By Lixto on May 31, 2013 | Reply

darren i love this pic, old and new cardinals…. both are very big fan favorites fitz now and old school aeneas williams….

6. By sbrown on May 31, 2013 | Reply

I thought the same thing, “old” Cardinal A. Williams vs “new” Cardinal Fitz.

7. By Rugbymuffin on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Vacation ?

They let you take vacations ?

8. By hummer53 on May 31, 2013 | Reply

I know, I know. They turn into a joke, especially in the second half. But I always count down the days to the first Pre-season game. That is 70 days. By mid summer, I just want to see any type of football.

9. By mal on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

I dont know where to post this question, so with 100 days out, I’ll do it here.

I am a die-hard Cards fan, now live out of state, and dont have Direct TV, so last year when this website offered an on-line package to watch all the pre-season games for $30-ish, I went for it.

But come to find out that EVERY game had the other team’s announcers — and I dont mean neutral announcers like you get on regular broadcast networks — but the other team’s HOME announcers. If it was just for the road games, okay I could understand, but when we played the Raiders at our own stadium in Phoenix, it was Oakland’s guys talking exclusively about Oakland, showing only their players on their sideline, and we even saw nothing but shots of Raider fans in the stands! Every game was this way, even our second home game.

I know this deal is run by the NFL, but it stinks. It’s not fair. The Cards organization always gets sh– upon at every turn. It’s not equal treatment.

So I wrote to you asking if Mr Bidwill or anyone in the front office knew about this. They never watch these type broadcasts, so they might not be aware of this crap if someone didnt tell them. You said you would look into it and email me back. I’m still waiting for an answer.

Thanks.

10. By infitzwetrust on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Wow! Fits looks like he’s wearing sneakers.

he has on a pair of air Jordan 2s

I wish we would bring those uniforms back,even for a week, my favorite of all time!

11. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Mal –

RE: preseason

I promise I am e-mailing someone in the league about it right now.

12. By Bill on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Might be a little off subject, but does anyone know where camp will officially be held this year? Have not heard any updates in a while regarding Glendale or any other spots.

13. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Bill –

RE: Camp

You haven’t heard because there hasn’t been anything announced yet. Glendale remains the likely spot.

14. By Dean Kennedy on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Has Whis announced his QB competition in San Diego yet? After all, every QB on the roster must battle it out until the eve of the first regular season game because Whis said that will make the cream rise to the top.

It’s laughable to read Whis quoted about the QB position mere months after the books were closed on watching him mishandle the position worse than anyone I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.

15. By infitzwetrust on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Darren, are those sneakers on fitz?? They don’t look very cleat like.

16. By Credit Card on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Vacation? We gave you one three years ago!

17. By Jon on May 31, 2013 | Reply

I concur, miss those old unis…

18. By Eazy E on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

I’m praying that Swope can play consistently. He can be a real nice piece if he’s healthy.

First though is his health as a human being.

19. By cardsalltheway on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

“How will Levi Brown look once he is completely cleared to play?”

Perhaps Nate Potter will play most downs during preseason games at LT and look good as he ended up doing last year. Then magically, Levi Brown will start at LT vs. the Rams on opening regular season Sunday as fans witness too many QB sacks per his slow feet? That would remind me of how 2 RB’s on our team got treated last year.

20. By cardsalltheway on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Mal,
    As an NFL Network Game Access subscriber and AZ Cardinals overseas watcher, I recall exactly what you’re talking about. OTOH, we probably didn’t miss much as we would’ve had to listen to Wolfley, though Pasch might’ve made up for it?

21. By cardsalltheway on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

“Isaiah Pead suspended for substance abuse violation”

He’ll be out against us on opening day, so says the article.

Any idea why he only got a 1 game suspension for what sounds like the same offense as D. Washington?

22. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

infitz–

RE: Sneakers

Yes, they are sneakers. Many players wear those on turf, which is what the Rams play on.

23. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Pead vs Washington

The suspension length is based on where you are in the NFL program. Without knowing the details, one possibility is that Pead tested positive after getting in the league, whereas Washington was already in the program entering the league (because of something in college, for example, or earlier in his career) before this latest misstep.

24. By cardsalltheway on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

That’s messed up, how are fans ever supposed to make sense of anything in the NFL? The game rules are difficult enough. I want to pull for the players and reluctantly their union but sometimes I think they screw things up to the detriment of their fans. The regular person gets his/her name plastered in the newspaper etc…when they mess up/break the law but somehow the players union thinks it needs to protect players when they do drugs etc…so that nobody knows the details. Paying fans deserve to know the details, if players don’t like it then they can munch it.

25. By Cards4Ever on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

I was told that a yearly Fire-fighters convention that’s usually held at the end of July at UofP stadium has to be changed because the Cardinals will be using the stadium for Training camp. I think they’re just working out the details before they announce it, but it’s most definitely going to be in Glendale!

26. By Steve on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Do you have any idea what Aeneas Williams is doing these days? My favorite Cardinal of all time!

27. By sbrown on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren – to tag onto Cards4Ever, there is now a scheduled international soccer game scheduled at UoP on August 1st. That is eight days before the first preseson game at Green Bay. Cards will now need to work around that event at UoP…

28. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Aeneas

Lives in the St. Louis area, I believe.

29. By cardsalltheway on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Glendale,
    Please spend money out thy booty, more than you can afford in order to give/build AZ Cardinals(head honchos) personnel special privileges such as covered parking etc…so that we/fans know that the rich can – kiss off Flagstaff – but still get whatever they want. NOT!