• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Flip of calendar means more Cards’ cap room

Posted by Darren Urban on May 31, 2013 – 2:57 pm

Over the weekend, the Cardinals will not make any roster moves. And they will pick up $3 million in salary cap room.

That’s because they had designated the release of guard Adam Snyder back in April as a “June 1″ cut, meaning that they could take the normal pro-rated hit on the salary cap this season from his remaining signing bonus and push the rest into 2014 instead of absorbing it all this season. Snyder still had $4 million left of dead money. Now, the Cardinals will deal with $1 million of it this season and the other $3 million against their 2014 salary cap.

Because the Cardinals wanted to cut Snyder before the actual June 1 date, they were forced to carry Snyder’s entire hit on the cap until actually June 1. (It didn’t really affect the Cards much, but any team tight against the cap doesn’t have the same kind of leeway.) That’s why the Cards this weekend will see their cap room grow even though they aren’t making any transactions. Teams can use the June 1 designation on up to two players a season. Only 11 cut players were named as such this offseason across the league and only one team, the Dolphins, used up their two-man limit. One of those players was linebacker Karlos Dansby, who of course ended up here. The Dolphins gain $6M of cap space this weekend just on Dansby’s situation alone.

As for the Cardinals, who have $7.8M of cap space today according to the NFLPA, that stands to grow to $10.8M when Snyder’s slot kicks in. The $3M dead money for next year is nothing to sneeze at, but the Cardinals took most of their dead money medicine this year and have a bunch of guys who will be free agents after this season, so there is still a lot of room to maneuver with the 2014 cap. Not sure what the salary cap landscape is going to look like yet, but it isn’t expected to jump much again and that will likely mean a similar offseason market as this year.

– Apropos of nothing, other than I think it’s an awesome anecdote, check out this story by Sam Farmer about Vince Lombardi and the first Super Bowl. Priceless.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Flip of calendar means more Cards’ cap room”

1. By djjackson81 on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Can we get a list of projected FA as of now for next season please I would like to see that list. With mowing AZ will have a lot of cap space to play at seasons end.

2. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2013 | Reply

djjackson –

RE: FA

I’ll make that list somewhere down the road. Meaningless right now.

3. By luke on May 31, 2013 | Reply

10.8million. Man I wish they would have signed one or two more big names earlier. Hopefully they can still find one more FA.

4. By tbru on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

I am glad somebody can understand the cap rules and try to explain it. Thanks Darren

5. By Eazy E on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Damn, don’t tell me it will be NFL Collusion Pt.2 next year…#Dwight Freeney

6. By Andy Kw on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

I still feel sick to my stomach knowing that WR coach John McNulty was fired. I understand he was our QB coach last year but when he coached Larry Fitzgerald, he was much more productive. WR coach Darryl Drake is good and experienced which I love but I will McNulty was still mixed into our coaching staff. I know, I will probably receive like 20 dislikes and a few likes.

7. By LadyBird04 on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

New Message Board – won’t let me do anything. Says I’m not authorized. Tried to log in again and it tells me my login name is already in use. DUH! Yes it’s me! I’ve been a member since 2004.

On top of which, it’s nasty to try and read and navigate through. No warning, no directions I can’t see how anyone can add a comment because there is no option that I can see. Hope whatever the issue is can/will be fixed.

I’m a very unhappy camper!

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

LadyBird –

RE: message board

We are working on it.

9. By Tom1953 on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

I cant get any of the videos to play on the Cardinal web site

10. By cdnelson86 on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Just wait for final cuts and maybe we will add some tablet, its still early. Should be some tablet looking for work like Kerry rhoads. I hope he returns on a vet min salery

11. By cdnelson86 on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Err… talent**

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Tom1953 -

RE: videos

Working fine for me.

13. By sbrown on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

I would think that Keim already has a working list of potential FA’s available at this time. I think he will be smart with the cap money, and hold off using it until it is closer to training camp, to use in case of an injury. If not then can be used to begin to re-sign current players before they go the FA route.

14. By samir on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m a little confused i thought Wilson was being replaced by Rashad Johnson, but he is now playing free after playing strong safety last year, so he replaces Rhodes, so Bell, who played free safety last year with the Jets, replaces Adrian. He is older, and slower. In fact Adrian is making one million per year with the Pats, Bell is making 900k with the Cards, and out of the two Adrian seems like the better player, even at this stage in their careers, so in any possible scenario would Wilson have stayed had he taken the same team friendly contract he took with the Patriots?

15. By Peter in Canada on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren –
    Your story about SB1 certainly brings back memories. The general public saw the NFL title game against Dallas as the real deal and the Super Bowl as nothing special since the AFL were thought to be minor leaguers. The game was nowhere near a sell out. I heard at the time that the Packer players were laughing as they watched films of KC because to them they looked so inept. It seems the pressure on Lombardi was not transmitted to the players. At the half it was a contest as the Pack led 14-10. I don’t know whethe it was because KC were better than expected or the Pack were not very intense. I guess Lombardi must have raised the roof in the locker room at the half because GB scored 21 unanswered points in the second half and eventually won in a walk. I believe thatthere is very little film available from the game, only a couple of scoring highlights such was the lack of interest at the time. Thanks for the memory.

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Samir –

RE: Wilson/Bell

It’s a fair thought. But at this point, Bell is definitely a short-term solution, and I think there was the idea that you make the clean break rather than having to deal with the uncomfortable situation of your icon losing more and more playing time.

Also, they had just asked Wilson to take a pay cut. Do you go back and ask him to take yet another? That can set up a bad situation too.

17. By desertspin on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

LadyBird04 -

Double thumbs up on that! I think the reason there aren’t more comments on this board is because it’s NOT user friendly. When I submit, it’s always a crap shoot if it will ever get posted because of the problems you mentioned. Hope Darren can get it fixed.

18. By desertspin on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Good job Darren on a subject that’s hard for most of us to get our heads around. Interesting how you can see “the lawyer effect” on all the NFL/NFLPA rules & jargon. Could it be more convoluted?

19. By ored on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

game seems to be evolving at all levels

20. By CardsRepInChile on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Over $ 10 million in cap space does nothing for us, wish we would’ve just taken the full $ 4 MM hit this season for Snyder’s deal. We already had to pay (with results) for the Snyder deal for a year, plus the cap hit this year…. AND the cap hit next year? Snyder did 3 yrs of damage to our Cards…

21. By Brian on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know how cap rollovers work? If they don’t end up using up their space this year, can it be rolled over to next year’s cap space?

Thanks!

22. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Brian –

RE: Cap rollover

I do not know. I will try and get that info at some point.

2. Jun 3, 2013: Around the NFC West: 49ers' staff unhurt | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS