“Lap” for Kitchens, God makes left tackles and OTAs end

Posted by Darren Urban on June 6, 2013 – 1:54 pm

Bruce Arians was planning on seeing recuperating QBs coach Freddie Kitchens in the hospital Thursday afternoon, as the Cardinals wrapped up their 2013 OTAs earlier in the day. Kitchens, of course, underwent emergency surgery Tuesday night to fix his aorta. Arians said he received a text from Kitchens’ wife Ginger that Freddie “took a lap down to X-ray and walked back and was breathing fine” Thursday morning. Doctors took the tube out of Kitchens last night, and while it was a rough night, Kitchens was doing much better today.

“Something just didn’t seem right,” quarterback Carson Palmer said, echoing the thoughts of fellow QB Drew Stanton. “Freddie is about a tough of a guy as you are going to meet. We had the trainers come and look at him. Freddie is lucky we have a phenomenal training staff because they knew exactly what to do.

“We’ve just been praying and thanking God that he’s doing better … The first thing I thought of was his wife Ginger. She had to fly across the continent and I can’t imagine how scared she was.”

– As for the team in the meantime, assistant head coach Tom Moore (talking to the quarterbacks, below, Wednesday) is taking Kitchens’ spot for now. Moore has been a integral part of the quarterbacks’ learning curve up until this point anyway. “He’ll keep the seat warm until Freddie gets back,” Arians said.

– OTAs are over. The Cardinals have a three-day mandatory minicamp next week (with Fan Fest at the outset on Tuesday) before the vets scatter for the summer. The rookies will stick around a little longer.

– Arians said next week’s goal is just to “continue” and “watching the little mistakes disappear.” The offense is “97, 98 percent done.” The defense “might add a blitz or two.” Arians joked that the Cards worked on taking a safety during today’s workout and “usually that’s the end of training camp.”

– Arians was asked if he had any concerns about the struggles of Levi Brown in the past. Once again, Arians backed up his left tackle.

“I don’t really care (of Brown’s past),” Arians said. “I don’t care about anybody. You start with a new slate. It’s what you do now.”

Arians reiterated he sees Brown as “elite” when he is playing well. And there is little question Arians doesn’t use the term lightly when you consider how important he sees the position.

“If you have to protect your left tackle all the time you’re really game planning with one hand behind your back,” Arians said. “You can find guys who can run and catch, you can find guys who can play in the middle. But left tackle and quarterback, God makes them.”

MooreQBBlogUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to ““Lap” for Kitchens, God makes left tackles and OTAs end”

1. By Eazy E on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

Seriously, stop it with the ”elite” talk when it refers to Levi Brown. He is a big ass bust. Again, we legitimately could have had A.D. Adrian Peterson and that hurts like hell. He ain’t made 1 single pro bowl, alternate just for 1 at RT which I give Kurt more credit than he because Kurt got it out of his hand so quickly, making probably each linemen look better than they are. Joe Thomas of Cleveland has made the pro bowl every year and is arguably the best LT and a real Elite player. It is an oxymoron to put Levi and Elite in the same sentence shut up please with that Bruce.

2. By Eazy E on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

The past should matter some when in regards to Levi. I’m being sarcastic, it should matter a hell of a lot, he’s been awful and there is no other way to put it. We got hella good defenses we’re facing in our own division and outside of it and you want Levi as your starting LT. Bruce needs to quiet down a bunch, he sounds to full of himself and he ain’t did a damn thing for us yet.#Rex Ryan In AZ

3. By Eazy E on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

Joe Thomas 3rd overall Levi Brown 5th overall in 2007 NFL Draft#Ouch

4. By Annette Richters on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

Well Easy E, you have certainly earned your name with your post here. I can see you taking the easy way out and not keeping up with Levi and his work.

His work ethic is great, and his performance until his injury was among the best compared to the NFL’s starting LTs. You know nothing………………….should we call you Shultzy? (From Hogan’s Heros)

Lefi is going to be fine. He has a fine backup in Potter. You guys that have posted so far must be 49r whiners. (or maybe sheeple people) :) Go be negative on your own teams site cry babies. hahahahhaha A sho nuff Lady tole you dat. byeeeeee

5. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

And yet Levi is still here, 7th year. Last year with out him was a, Total Mess, putting it in the Nicest term possible.

Let the Man play, then get on his case if he is not doing well.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Credit Card on Jun 6, 2013 | Reply

Levi Brown played below average for his entire pro career, then followed that impressive stint with a year of being injured. Bottom line he still has a slow leg turn-over rate,and is extremely slow footed. No matter how improved his tricep is healed — I sure hope he worked on his foot work and has become measurably quicker. If not, I hope Arian’s assessment is to bate another team.

7. By Leesters on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

I don’t care what he spins on Levi Brown, dude is a great right tackle. Like an 89 on Madden scale. And he’s a 69 left tackle. …. There are three tackles on the roster, two of them were rookies last year, and Levi. Oh, if you count the desperate signing of UDFA’s, okay. I don’t. ……. There is cap room, sign a decent left tackle… Gandy-ish. Put Levi on the right side where “God” intended him. … Or all that great work done in the offseason cleaning up the roster will be for naught.

8. By eric on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

bruce arians has an impressive track record as an nfl asst.,and some super bowl bling to go with it…if he’s impressed with what he sees,that is enuff for me.i think he knows a little about this game.

9. By playans on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

How much of the past was Levi’s fault and how much was Russ Grimm’s fault? This may be the first time Levi is getting quality coaching. LT is a tough job and even tougher when the player has to figure out a lot of the schemes himself. I like BA’s teaching emphasis and giving all of our players much more reps and coaches to help them master the fundamentals. If Levi has a breakout year, I hope his critics will quiet down.

10. By Brian on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

Eazy E –

So are you still mad about the organization taking Thomas Jones, Raynoch Thompson, Darwin Walker, David Barrett, Mao Tosi, Jay Tant and Jabari Issa over Tom Brady during the 2000 Draft? Because we could have “legitimately” had him over any of those other guys…

I mean, did you know, that in the 2005 Draft, we could have legitimately had Aaron Rodgers and took Antrel Rolle instead…I don’t think his career has lived up to #8 overall draft status…if only we could go back in time and re-do all of our drafts knowing what we do now. Imagine what our team would look like!!!

Might be time to get over it…

11. By cardsalltheway on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

Arians reiterated he sees Brown as “elite” when he is playing well.”

When has Levi B. played well or cough cough “elite”? Oh, it must have been a few games(in Brown’s past).

My vote goes to the up and coming Nate Potter!

12. By Eazy E on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

Brian-

This ain’t hindsight, this is foresight from me. I almost was begging the cardinals to draft A.D. and I was disappointed when we didn’t. I understood the Levi Brown pick but it still sucked and it sucks more that he ain’t good. I loved Joe Thomas coming out and was hoping he would drop to 5 and he didn’t and look at him. Most if not all of the draft analysts and people said Levi was a BIG reach at 5 so that is that. As for the guys we picked over Brady, if you would look back, Brady wasn’t a ”1st round prospect” because of the stupid combine people put so much into. He was a very good QB at Michigan and they overlooked that. He wasn’t going to be a high pick anyways besides Brady is a once in a lifetime QB and pick, that will probably NEVER happen again. Also with the Aaron over Antrel argument, Aaron wasn’t considered a top 6 or 8 pick also. He was higher than a 24th pick where he went but he had footwork issues to work out, he held the ball too high, etc. He learned behind a top 5 QB all-time imo in Brett Favre and that helped him even though their relationship isn’t great and Mike McCarthy and the crew really helped him develop. I’m not saying he didn’t put in extremely hard work and all, but that should be told. And Antrel definitely has lived up to his billing as a 8th overall pick. He has 17 Ints in his career and was really taking off when we moved him to safety which a lot of scouts said he would eventually become and be good there. He has a super bowl ring, so he’s doing alright.

13. By rod on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

First off, Levi performed well the last half of a contract year. Up until that he was a liability. Let’s see what he does this year. If guys still are still rushing around him with ease by the 3rd game, bring in Potter.

Personally I think Potter should start.

14. By dieselbomb on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

Over time, I’ve seen more than enough evidence to highly doubt LBrown’s place on our team. I’m enjoying the change from the previous Coaching Staff to the current one. I’ve seen and heard many things that give me hope that the Cardinals will be performing on field and in the official standings much better than the previous several years under the previous coaching staff. Yet one of the biggest ‘disagreements’ I have with the new Head Coach is the comment in support of LBrown. I’ve watched DColledge getting frustrated with Brown while on field ( and Daryn is a cool cucumber and does not fly off the handle under most playing circumstances ). I watched what looked like an unfriendly ‘discussion’ on the sidelines between Daryn and Levi. I’ve watched far too many Defensive Linemen and Linebackers easily get passed Brown’s lackluster play. I couldn’t believe the Cardinals put him back on the team. We watched last year’s Rookies learn to be competent players as the year unfolded. I was impressed that they got better game after game. I say that because I’ve also seen Brown blow-it game after game … after years of being here under what was sold to us as a good thing : A Hall of Fame Line Coach – Russ Grimm. I can’t tell you how pleased I am that Grimm is gone. But I, too, want to see last year’s Rookies higher on the Depth Chart at that position. I’d much prefer LBrown be employed by some other team.

15. By Keith on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

People talk a lot of smack about Levi. However, we saw what things were like without Levi. Maybe he’s not as bad as everyone proposes. Maybe he is just figuring it out now. And ya AD would have been great, but hindsight is 20/20.

16. By scott023 on Jun 9, 2013 | Reply

I think it is a smart bet to trust B.A., he has an inside track on who is who. If coach Arians said levi starts, then it’s his job to loose, I think he knows just a tad more than any of us. This is good for Potter, he gets time to learn more. If B.A. felt it was in the best interest of the team for potter to be the LT, then he would be the starter. Coach Arians was coach of the year, he has earned that. He didn’t get that in a cracker jacks box. Nobody is perfect on this earth, however I think he is a great improvement in a coach, over and over. He has brought in some of the smartest minds in football, more coaches, more one on one teaching. Thank You Mr. Bidwell, you said you were going to fix this. I surely can not think of a better choice.

17. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Easy E and Brian,

AP was considered to be picked in the top 5. It is not hindsight to think the cards should have taken AP. Everyone I knew wanted AP. Most thought the cards needed to trade down to take Brown, not at 5.

It is similar to the year everyone wanted Suggs and we traded down for Pace and Johnson. Not Hindsight, everyone I knew saw that one.

As for Aaron Rodgers, it was debated if he or Alex Smith should go #1. After the niners went with Smith, Rodgers began to drop. Why? No idea. Why Denny Green, with no real QB on the roster, let him pass for Rolle is unbelievable. No excuse for that and hindsight excuse is worthless on that one.

The Cards have just made many mistakes in the draft and that explains the years and years of losing. Other teams have the forsight to make the right picks and the cards haven’t. I have been very vocal about the cards picks in the past, and I still question their drafts. For instance, last years draft was horrible early on. Not so much for taking Floyd, but passing on a QB and missing apparently on Fleming. Massie and Potter were good finds.

18. By jason on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I am not a fan of Levi Brown playing LT for the Arizona Cardinals, but I like Levi Brown. He didn’t select himself in the draft, his lack of success at LT can’t be attributed to lack of effort and he’s not calling himself “elite” or making grandiose statements. He is modest and hard working…how can you speak ill of that? I like looking back at drafts like anyone else and argue about who we could’ve/should’ve taken but it’s pointless. What if we took Peterson and the fears about him being injury prone came to be? We’d be just as disappointed as we are with Beanie Wells. Did we miss? Yes. It’s easy to see that, but the top people who made that pick were fired so the team has done all it can. Is Levi Brown elite? I doubt it. Is he terrible? Probably not. He is a tough, hard working lineman who is going to give us maximum effort. Only time will tell if that (along with a new QB, offense and improved coaching) will be enough.

2. Jun 7, 2013: Around the NFC West: Sherman's mouth | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS
  3. Jun 19, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | For what it’s worth in June, offensive edition
  4. Jul 23, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Taking the field and Levi