• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Peterson checks in at No. 33

Posted by Darren Urban on June 7, 2013 – 9:47 am

The Cardinals finally had another entry into the NFL Network’s Top 100 players list. Last time we checked in on the list, linebacker Daryl Washington was entered at No. 94. Now Patrick Peterson has made the list at No. 33 (as you can see in the video below). Knowing Patrick, he’d rather be in the top 20. Or top 10. He’s certainly headed in that direction (He looked good in OTAs before missing the last couple of weeks because of a family matter — I expect him at mandatory minicamp next week.) These lists are arbitrary, of course, and while it is compiled from voting by NFL players, every summer there are more stories about players saying they’ve never voted for such a list than guys who have acknowledged they have.

The question now is this: With 30 spots remaining to be unveiled, do the Cardinals have anyone else? I’d think Peterson would rank higher than Calais Campbell, so while I think Campbell probably is among the top 100 players in the league right now, it doesn’t look like it will be reflected on this list. That’s unfortunate. Then that takes us to Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz was No. 14 in 2011 and No. 7 last summer. Of course, in 2012, Fitz struggled with his numbers — 71 catches, 798 yards, four touchdowns. Those aren’t stats that carry you into the top 30 players in the league. Then again, those aren’t stats that carry you into the Pro Bowl, yet that’s where Fitz ended up in January.

If I had to bet right now, I think Fitz will be on this list. He’s that well respected. We will see. I do know this — I expect Fitz to have a much better year this season than last.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Peterson checks in at No. 33”

1. By DontTakeLosses on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

Quality add by TeamArians: “When you come into a new team or new situation you try to stay in your lane,” Rucker said

2. By mark on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

I love Patrick Peterson as a player and have been a huge fan of the Cardinals for nearly my whole 20 year old life. With saying that I think he actually is rated to high on this list. I think based off his athleticism he is probably in the right spot, but last year I remember him getting beat pretty bad on Primetime against the Niners. Not saying he didn’t make amazing plays at clutch moments in other games, but he still is a work in progress. Peterson is a Phenomenal talent and I love him as a man on and off the field. I know he is going to only get better but based off his last season i feel he was rated very high. But this season will be different and I don’t wanna complain about Peterson, but this NFL Top 100 is overrated. But THIS YEAR IS ALL ABOUT BIRDGANG!

3. By Eazy E on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m glad Daryl made the list even though through the list it seemed like nobody knew who he was. Patrick was #33 and the highest ranked corner which I ain’t complaining about. Sherm is really good along with Peanut Tillman and others but I’m glad Pat got his love on the list. Calais probably isn’t on the list because he would have been lower most likely because he missed games. Darren, I think it is a joke for you to even question if Larry is on the list. Most players are pretty smart and they know what BS Larry went through last year with those horrible QBs throwing him the ball. I recall good friend of his Calvin Johnson saying they aren’t even close to getting him the ball and that carries a lot of weight. He’s on the list hopefully in the 20s or even teens despite every QB he played with last year sucking and for most of his career.

4. By Eazy E on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

C.J. Spiller also said he gained more patience by looking over at Fitz’s situation and how he didn’t get the ball when he was lobbying for the ball in Buffalo.

5. By Eazy E on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

I haven’t looked at this week’s yet, but I’m intrigued about what they said about the boy Patrick.

6. By Chuck 1 on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

If Crabtree were healthy this season, PP might drop to 99. :)

7. By D on Jun 9, 2013 | Reply

Free agents this summer. I wouldn’t be surprised if some big name free agents gets released around cut down dates. A name that has not lived up to his large salary is M. Lewis in Jville.
    I don’t see how they will pay him between 6-8 mil for his limited production/play. He has been down since 2010 when he was a Pro-Bowler, some has to do with the QB and Oline down there, but if he could be obtained either by trade with a salary reduction or if he gets released, I think he would be reborn in BA’s offense. He would be a nightmare in the redzone and I think his blocking could improve.

8. By Andy Kw on Jun 9, 2013 | Reply

This season should be a season to remember:
    -Carson Palmer should be able to take this team to the playoffs with over 4000yds passing and just above 30TDs with probably around 10-14 interceptions thrown.
    (This team will finally have a passer that will throw over 2000yds passing since Derek Anderson in 2010 and will throw 3000+yds since the Kurt Warner era. )
    -Larry Fitzgerald will get over 90+receptions with probably over 1500yds receiving since he will get more opportunities down the field. He will probably get double digit touchdown receptions as well since he will be targeting in the end zone more.
    -Michael Floyd is poised to have a breakout season opposite Fitzgerald.
    (This team might have two 1000yd receivers for the first time since 2009 when Boldin was still with the team)
    -Andre Roberts stats will be hurt through the transition of Floyd but he will still get some big numbers and plays.
    -I expect Robert Housler to get his first touchdown of his career with at least 500yds catching. Arians, before he was drafted, saw him as a potential Wide Receiver but being a tight end, he is quite fast for his position.
    -Ryan Williams could finally breakout but I still expect Rashard Mendenhall to get the bulk of the carries until Williams can finally be trusted.
    -My man Patrick Peterson will produce a lot more than he did last year. By the end of the 2013 season, I expect him to be in the top 20 and I expect Fitzgerald to be in the top 10.

9. By Peter in Canada on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

The whole top 100 is a meaningless exercise. Its primary use is to fill air time on NFL network. They would be better served by showing past great games such as the 2008-9 NFC Championship game, in which hopefully one of the participants will appear in this year’s game. BTW I don’t mean the Eagles.

10. By BluePitt on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

The top 100 is a joke if Fitz makes the list!!!! I dont care what you did in 2008 what did you do to make the list now? And before you say QB play Just go back and look at the QB’s prior to Warner!!!! King, McCown, Blake!!! ALL Jokes like Skelton Anderson, Kolb.And so on!!!! If Fitz doesnt break 1,400 with Palmer he is washed up!!!! LOL all the lists are Jokes!! Boldin carries his team to a SB and is ranked like #30ish over all WR’s JOKE!!!

11. By Justin on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations to Peterson for being ranked No. 33

2. Jun 7, 2013: Peterson checks in at No. 33 | football-feed.com
  3. Jun 8, 2013: FEATURED CARDINALS ARTICLE: June 8th Bird Droppings: 1st the Worst, 2nd the Best, Great to Bad, Tiny Linebacker | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  4. Jun 14, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | For Peterson, competition about top receivers, not corners