Kitchens: “Thank you just doesn’t seem near enough”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 10, 2013 – 2:26 pm

Cardinals QB coach Freddie Kitchens has been released from the Arizona Heart Hospital following his emergency surgery to repair his aorta last week. He has returned home, although he will have limitations on his activities and visitors. Kitchens is expected to return as QB coach, likely limited in the beginning, at some point during training camp. It’s great news for Kitchens, who, had things not been covered so well by the Cards’ training staff last week, might not even be alive right now. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, who was coincidentally out here the day after Kitchens’ surgery reporting for a future story, wrote today that 80 percent of such cases like Kitchens results in death. That we are talking about his return to coaching is a great thing.

Kitchens released a statement through the team:

“There are so many people that I’ll be indebted to for the rest of my life and ‘thank you’ just doesn’t seem near enough. First to the Cardinals medical staff, (head athletic trainer) Tom Reed and his crew, (team physician) Dr. (Wayne) Kuhl. They recognized immediately that something was wrong, even when I wouldn’t admit it. They knew enough to send me right away to Chandler Regional (Medical Center) where the ER staff and attending physician jumped right in and knew how critical the situation was. They airlifted me to Arizona Heart Hospital and made the arrangements for Dr. (Andrew) Goldstein and the surgery team there to operate on me through the night.

“Looking back, I have no doubt – none whatsoever – that I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for the those people. I’ve played or coached football my whole life so I can definitely appreciate teamwork and a smooth, efficient operation but the work those doctors, nurses and medical personnel do is just incredible. Again, I wouldn’t be alive without them. I’m overwhelmed by the prayers and kindness everyone has sent my way; from the Cardinals, throughout the NFL, in Arizona, Alabama and everywhere else. I realize how truly fortunate I am and the blessing I have been given.”

Freddie2BLOG

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Kitchens: “Thank you just doesn’t seem near enough””

1. By jeffy1951 on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

God bless Coach Kitchens. I truly believe that this is yet one more sign that the coming season is going to be special.

2. By SteveG on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Always nice to start a week with a good news story..and a life being saved (I read the chances of survival due to nature of defect was kinda low…)

Obviously a good omen for next season!!

See on the field soon coach!!

3. By G Witt on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Sooooo glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!! Makes Cardinal Fans Happy Campers.
    Don’t rush things and take your time getting back.

4. By scott otero on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see your feeling better Freddie. The kids and I are happy your home. You and your family are always in our thoughts.

5. By Sean44 on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Headlines.. “Kitchens still ticking”

Great save medical staff!

Get well soon!

6. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Best news I’ve heard in a long while!

Get Well Soon Coach Kitchens.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By Credit Card on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Harsh but true — now since the Card med staff saved the day, it is now time to save yourself: Exercise and eat right.

8. By jeffy1951 on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

@Credit Card – “Thanks Ma !”

9. By sbrown on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

Coach K was very lucky he was with others who saw he was in trouble and needed medical attention asap. Now time to recover and be back to 100% . Wishing for a quick recovery !

10. By ored on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

just being alive puts things in perspective and gives the chance to make everyday special.

11. By Sheila on Jun 10, 2013 | Reply

People make assumptions at a time like this? And tell people how to live? Aortic dissection can happen from chest trauma too. There’s no way for us to know Coach Kitchens’ medical data. We do know he’s a former college QB who took plenty of hits on the field. We don’t know how he got a tear in his aorta or how long it was there.

12. By Eazy E on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Thank God for being alive first. He’s the one that had those doctors in the right position to help heal you.#Prayers Answered #God First

13. By DontTakeLosses on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

God blessed FK. get well soon. And.. maybe now he’ll get on the Fitz/Floyd fish and veggie diet. I have so many friends that are walking time bombs like that. I know, this post may attract the boo birds, the truth doesn’t always go over well…

14. By John & Pam McVeigh on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

So happy you are doing well. Sending prayers for speedy recovery and continued healing. Peace and Grace

15. By IllinoisCardsFan on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Prayers and Thought’s go out to coach Kitchens and family. Take your time and make a full recovery. Your Cardinal nation Family will always be around for you.

16. By johnnybluenose on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

well said coach kitchens. good things usually happen for a reason. i’m expecting good things from you and from the cardinals this year. get better soon.

17. By Lisa on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Welcome to the club of dissection survivors. It’s a great club, because we survived this! I had my dissection Superbowl Sunday 2012! I did not have surgery; type b. medical treatment and limitations. It’s a rough road getting your physical ability back, but the mental is even harder. My only fear now is that since I did not have surgery, I can redissect. I went to John C Lincoln Deer Valley and the great ER team there were able to diagnose me and saved my life. I also spent additional time at the AZ Heart Hospital. Great team of docs. Bless you and your family.

2. Jun 10, 2013: Former Alabama QB Freddie Kitchens released from hospital, could return to coaching soon | Alabama
  3. Jun 11, 2013: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Arizona Cardinals QB coach Freddie Kitchens resting at home
  4. Jun 11, 2013: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Arizona Cardinals QBs coach Freddie Kitchens resting at home
  5. Jun 13, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Stretched or not, offseason program is over
  6. Jul 22, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | QB coach Kitchens getting back to work