“I don’t think guys will be, or should be, taking time off”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 12, 2013 – 2:34 pm

Already, Larry Fitzgerald mentioned that the receivers and quarterbacks would work together, in part in Minnesota where Fitz holds his annual July work. Quarterback Carson Palmer confirmed he plans on getting that work done, because the work must continue even though officially, the Cards will be done tomorrow.

“I’m not going to get away from anything,” Palmer said, noting he’ll spend some time at home in California but not too much time. “I won’t be taking any time off and I don’t think guys will be, or should be, taking time off.”

And with that, some other notes after the penultimate practice of the offseason:

– The defense got interceptions from Patrick Peterson and Javier Arenas during the final two-minute drill sequence. Good for the defense, bad for the offense. Coach Bruce Arians will live with it.

“Cardinals win,” Arians said with a smile. “Shoot, I can’t lose. You get to cuss out one and cheer for the other. It’s fun.”

Palmer praised his teammates on the other side of the ball. “I’m excited about what we are seeing on defense because they are putting together packages that are really confusing, especially if you are playing against young quarterbacks,” he said.

– Rookie wide receiver Ryan Swope remains out with the reported concussion symptoms (Arians has never addresses Swope’s issues directly.) Asked if he planned to have Swope for training camp, Arians said “I’m hopeful.”

– Speaking of receivers, Arians was asked if he had seen strides forward of late from second-year wideout LaRon Byrd. Arians was blunt. “Not really, to be honest,” Arians said. “He had a couple nice catches that were unbelievable throws. (But) he’s too inconsistent right now. He has talent and a good future, but he’s got to get more consistent.”

Byrd said he is feeling more comfortable, but with guys like Jaron Brown, Robert Gill and Charles Hawkins playing well this summer, Byrd will have to make strides in camp.

– Nate Potter is getting extensive work at right tackle. And Bobby Massie was getting a lot of work as second-string left tackle. It may mean little — Arians said it was going to be a rotation through camp — but it would be an interesting turn of events if it stayed that way.

– Arians said he isn’t worried about running back Stepfan Taylor, who missed all of the offseason because of school (Taylor is expected back next week for the rookies’ final week, without veterans). Arians watched Andrew Luck, like Taylor a Stanford product, perform just fine last season after an offseason away.

“(Stepfan) has got a whole lot easier of a position,” Arians said. “His thing will be picking up the blitzes but he is a bright young man and he’s already had exposure to to it all. He knows what the rules are.”

NoRestBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to ““I don’t think guys will be, or should be, taking time off””

1. By SteveG on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I am a little unclear re. Carson ..Is he planning on working with Larry et al in Minnesota?

2. By PotAsh on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Ouch. That’s got to sting. Hope Byrd takes it the right way and takes this time “off” to get better and make Arians eat his own words – win-win for the Cardinals.

Good luck, Byrd.

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Steve G —

RE: Palmer in Minnesota

4. By Eric G on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Liking Palmer right now, seems like he’s got the right attitude. Let’s just hope it pays off. I’d love nothing more than to see him redeem himself and his career in AZ.

5. By Itsallinthecards on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I’m really bummed about Ryan Swope. I sure hope that wasn’t a wasted draft pick. I guess if he’s available for training camp then he’d be in the same boat as stepfan Taylor. He wasn’t even on the cowboys draft board, however. I hope the Cardinals had all of the medical info they needed. I don’t mind him missing some time now to make sure he’s healthy when it counts, but if somehow he never plays that sure looks bad for the Cards scouting dept.

Darren how long does it usually take for concussion symptoms to go away. It seems like 4 or 5 months off should be plenty of time.

Go Cards!

6. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Itsall —

RE: Swope

Every case is different. And you are assuming this isn’t a new injury.

7. By david on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

please stop referencing the Cowboys draft board

8. By cardsfan622 on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Just out of curiosity Darren, were both of todays int’s thrown by Carson?

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

That is going to be some work out, in Minnesota, if most of the Cards Offence shows up for Larry’s work outs. I remember a couple of years ago A.Roberts started going with Larry to Minnesota, he’s been doing a lot better since. I bet when they get back to AZ everybody that goes will know each other a lot better.

I hope Swope gets better and can show off his speed in the regular season and stay healthy.

GO CARDS!!!

10. By clssylssy on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Very unfortunate situation with Ryan Swope. It makes me wonder how he ever passed the physical to play in the NFL and from what has been reported in the media his current symptoms are residual effects from a concussion he sustained last year in college. Certainly brain injuries are unpredictable and I read just last week about the Dbacks players who suffered a seizure while at dinner in a restaurant that was from getting hit in the head last year with a baseball. It is fortunate Ryan has the Burrows Neurological Institute available and close by where he can get specialized diagnosis and treatment.
    I have to say I am loving Palmer’s attitude about practice and embracing this opportunity with Arizona and have often wondered myself why guys would want to take time off just now when they have the entire winter months free. It seems the real standouts and elite players like Fitz view this job as a 365 day a year committment and work on their craft cross training and blending other activities that mesh with their NFL life, be it charity work or raising money for charitues and supporting those of fellow players,
    I really like Byrd and thought he looked good in preseason last year as apparently others did; perhaps now with Coach Arians assessment, we can better understand why he wasn’t utilized before. I have always been a believer that players have to be developed (ideally) and can be ruined by playing them before they are ready but in this day’s NFL that is pretty much a luxury and injuries usually dictate their faster pace of learning. I really hope he makes the squad but there are a lot of teams out there needing WRs who would gladly pick up our receiving corp crumbs. I’m just tired of our players getting their “schooling” here and going on to enjoy success with another team. We’re getting down to crunch time and it will be interesting to see who shows up at Fitz’s camp, who are the players who are seriously wanting to keep the momentum going and have their head in the game preparing for a successful year. GOOD LUCK GUYS AND STAY SAFE!

11. By joe67 on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Eric G

I agree with what you said, but I think he did alot to redeem himself last year playing for a “not very good” Raiders team, and then throwing just over 4000 yds. I think he is going to be just fine.

Hopefully Swope can do it, and maybe not be used so much as a slot man where you get alot more tough hits….just saying

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

cardsfan —

RE: INTs

13. By cardsalltheway on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Larry,
    You’re losing my respect, just keep it(like below) up and see where that’ll get you…Associating yourself with that real estate mogul from New York is despicable. Talk about “taking time off” what you’re doing is a waste of time.

14. By Ethan on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

I really wanted to see Swope at fanfest.. He has SO much potential! Get better man, I am rooting for you! I too LOVE that Palmer wants to go to Minnesota, he looked great at fanfest! I am SO excited for this season! in BA we trust

15. By Darren Urban on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Fitz respect

Judging by what you post, I didn’t think there was anyone here you respected.

16. By xBIGxMx on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Good job on Palmers side, continue to work hard…I hope Swope recovers fast, I’ve seen his college highlights he has too much potential. thanks Darren!!

17. By MikeinMesa on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy

I find it hard to believe that someone is working on their craft 365 days a year. Some oh this hype is way overblown. Do you think Fitzgerald is working on his craft when he’s sitting on an elephant in a foreign country? Everyone needs to get a little more realistic and stop the hero worship. Everyone has assumed Fitzgerald is Superman and can do no wrong. Is it possible that as he is getting older he might be losing a little bit of his speed and skill and that too could have contributed to his lesser stats last year? I hope not myself but everyone seems to think last year was a 100% on the qbs. I guess this year should answer it. I think Palmer is going to be a huge upgrade and hope that Fitzgerald gets back to his 2 or 3 best receivers in the league status.

18. By MikeinMesa on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren which qbs threw the interceptions then? Thanks

19. By Darren Urban on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

MikeinMesa —

RE: INTs

Palmer and Stanton.

2. Jun 13, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Stretched or not, offseason program is over
  3. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off | TNT
  4. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off | Headlines
  5. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off »
  6. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off - Top News Today
  7. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off - iSports News
  8. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off - Todays Top Sports . com
  9. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off | CNT
  10. Jun 14, 2013: Carson Palmer says Arizona Cardinals players shouldn't take time off
  11. Jun 17, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | That UDFA receiver …