• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

For Peterson, competition about top WRs, not CBs

Posted by Darren Urban on June 14, 2013 – 11:48 am

For a list that so many insist doesn’t mean anything, there are plenty of players and others who have issues with how the NFL Network’s Top 100 list has played out. The Cardinals are a part of that debate, after cornerback Patrick Peterson was named as the No. 33 player on the list given that Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman was No. 50.  It echoed the Pro Bowl results, which had Peterson making the team and Sherman not, even after Sherman had an incredible season. Sherman finds a way to talk about just about anything but I haven’t found that he has addressed being below Peterson on the top 100.

As for Peterson, he smiled when asked about being ranked higher than Sherman and other cornerbacks. “I will always like that idea,” Peterson said. “But I am not in competition with any of those guys. I want to continue to help my team the best way that I can and being the best cornerback I can and continue to go out and shut down the best receivers. That’s what I get paid to do. I don’t get paid to go against other cornerbacks. It’s to do my job to the best of my ability, to go out on Sunday and shut down the opponent’s number one guy.”

It was a weird offseason for Peterson. He missed the bulk of the voluntary OTAs “taking care of some family matters,” he said, but when he returned for mandatory minicamp this week he didn’t look like he had missed a beat.

“It felt extremely good to be back, especially (Tuesday) in front of the fans,” Peterson said. “I’m one of the most in-shape guys on the team. I made sure I still did what I needed to do to be ready when I came back. I didn’t want to be behind. I wanted to be a step above everyone on the field. It’s a long season and I want to continue to improve and better myself and be one of the premier cornerbacks in the game.”

– And, after our discussion the other day about it, it turned out Larry Fitzgerald did indeed make the NFL Network’s Top 100 list, at No. 22. And that was after a down year Fitz never wants to live through again. It’s a testament to Fitz’s reputation among his peers.

PPBloguse

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “For Peterson, competition about top WRs, not CBs”

1. By Chris on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren – do u know who of the players will be in Minnesota joining Fitz during summer? Would be interesting to know.

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Fitz/Minny

There is no official list. Guys just go. Sometimes it’s spur of the moment.

3. By RoleyA on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

I gotta say that we’ve got some class-acts on our team. I’m glad to hear about players who want to be the best (both on field and off) who never just try and get the spotlight. It’s all about the team with the Cardinals and that says a lot about the organization and the players on the field.

Good article.

4. By rick12 on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

re: RoleyA

You’re right, we do have some class acts on this team, and one of them is
    Andre Roberts. I have always admired him so much, soft spoken, humble,
    and a truly great receiver. I think he is a real asset for this team.

5. By clssylssy on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

Absolutely! We DO have some real class acts on this team and some great young talents who will only get better. I have always been proud of our guys for their professionalism when it came to the media. They are not a bunch of glory hounds looking for a sound bite or media opportunity but instead have preferred to let their performance talk for them and be somewhat of a silent but deadly “sleeper force”.
    Fitz has been a major force in teaching by example and we now have others stepping up and following this model. Patrick Peterson has been exceptional, not only on the field but off the field as a human being in his efforts to reach out and lend a hand up to Tyrann Mathieu. I believe these kinds of efforts will reap huge rewards and have always felt that team sponsored mentorship or buddy programs would be a good investment towards forging the bonds of brotherhood on the field and also cut down on negative off field behavior. I am sick to death with the snarky references to last season ; that’s in the past and it only cheapens the forward progress and positive vibe our team has going. Whenever I hear it reported that Fitz made a statement alluding to the poor play and incompetence of everybody around him, I chalk it up to the press’s interpretation of something he said that was lost in translation–we all know Fitz and know he doesn’t devalue his colleagues and brothers. This is a new year and the best thing we can do is move on and take lessons from the past without waisting too much energy on it . True greats rise above and are great despite adversity and the roadblocks of life!

6. By ored on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy
    agree with the exception of dd,he sometimes marches to his own drummer,which i believe is a good thing,even a team needs some individualism,breaks the ice at times so things don’t get too high strung,a star is somewhat set apart,so to is a rebel spirit,good to have both,especially when they play at high levels.

7. By clssylssy on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

@ored…I totally agree and don’t recall mentioning DD. He has been a pillar of our defense for years and, to his credit, has been able to maintain his individuality as he has matured as a player. It’s always good to have diversity to keep things fresh and it is a reflection on the entire organization that our players can hang tough and withstand outside criticism with so much class, rising above and setting high standards. That’s why we love our Cards Win or Lose. To me there is nothing better than to win a game against a team who has taken us for granted based on numbers on a page and probabilities. Something I’ve learned through the years about the Cards is NEVER take them for granted…lots and lots of talent on this team! Rather than blowing our own horn I like to see our play speak for itself:)

2. Jun 14, 2013: For Peterson, competition about top WRs, not CBs | football-feed.com
  3. Oct 4, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Peterson and the “best” talk