For what it’s worth in June, offensive edition

Posted by Darren Urban on June 19, 2013 – 10:58 am

Welcome to the second installment of For What It’s Worth, where I make guesstimates over who will be starting come the opener Sept. 8 in St. Louis – this time, on the offensive side of the ball – and my only fear is someone will dredge this up in a little less than three months to tell me I don’t know what I am talking about. The Cards’ offense is in somewhat of a weird situation. The unit struggled so much last season that the bar has been set pretty low in order to improve. Yet with Carson Palmer coming in at quarterback and Bruce Arians taking over as coach (not to mention Tom Moore as a top offensive assistant) expectations seem pretty high.

That said, and with time off calling me, here is my lineup for that day in the Edward Jones Dome. We’re going with a two-WR, two-TE set, but there will be plenty of three-WR looks I’d guess:

QB – Carson Palmer. Arians named him starter from jump. Made sense. Had some bumpy times in the offseason work, but he’s been very straight-forward about the process and didn’t seem surprised. You have to like the idea he and Fitz are spearheading workouts in San Diego and/or Minnesota before camp. The offense probably needs it.

WR – Larry Fitzgerald. I think I am willing to wager Fitz gets back to his lofty stats this season. Just a guess.

WR – Michael Floyd. In three-receiver sets Andre Roberts will get plenty of work. But Floyd has impressed coaches (and bystanders like myself) with his efforts this offseason. He seems primed for a leap in Year Two. Can he challenge Fitz? If the Cards can grind out more first downs, I can see Floyd having a big year.

TE – Rob Housler. Arians likes his pass-catching ability. We’ll see, in camp, how far his blocking has come.

LT – Levi Brown. Arians has spent so much time talking Brown up this offseason I don’t see any way Levi isn’t starting. He’ll be playing the left side, and we will find out if his strong finish to 2011 was a mirage or not.

LG – Jonathan Cooper. The only question with Cooper isn’t if he starts but when he signs his contract (and with the front office getting in their vacation, Cooper’s deal will probably be much closer to training camp. That said, it’s nothing to worry about. He’ll be done in time.)

C – Lyle Sendlein. The Cardinals haven’t really done much to create competition at the spot. That seems like a good sign for Sendlein, who remains a steadying influence in the locker room and a quality captain.

RG – Daryn Colledge. Colledge had to flip sides, but he’ll figure it out. He’s getting paid big money and that makes every offseason a little more dicey in a league that’s always looking at that stuff. But Colledge is a good fit right now, especially with rookie Earl Watford still raw in his development.

RT – Bobby Massie. Massie was playing backup left tackle the last week of minicamp, and Nate Potter was running as the No. 1 right tackle. But Arians insisted he will continue to move around guys to have them learn many positions, and that was one example. I still think Massie is the starter come Week 1. He played too well down the stretch last year. Plus, Potter – who also might get work at guard – could be getting groomed for the ultimate jack-of-all-trades offensive line spot as a reserve. It’s necessary after Adam Snyder was released.

TE – Jeff King. It’s hard to get a good handle on this one since King was out or limited almost all of the offseason work. Jim Dray got a lot of first-unit reps too. I still think when all is said and done it will be King opening day, but I think it’s no lock. Is there any chance rookie D.C. Jefferson could sneak his way in? That’s a long shot, but maybe hitting in training camp changes some minds. I wouldn’t be stunned to see them add a veteran tight end in camp.

RB – Rashard Mendenhall. Mendenhall had his best seasons under Arians in Pittsburgh. Ryan Williams remains a wild card. Stepfan Taylor is probably too far behind, at least at first. Mendenhall is still pretty young in running back’s terms, he’s motivated with a one-year deal and he insists he’s totally healthy. A good combination.

MendyWorthUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “For what it’s worth in June, offensive edition”

1. By D on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

Jim Dray? I would sign and bring in Visanthe Shianco as the 3rd TE in front of D.C. Jefferson. BA needs production in his Off from the TE spot. J. King shouldn’t be a lock either, he isn’t what he was in Carolina.

2. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

I GUESS AFTER THIS YEAR WEAK LINK ON THE LINE MIGHT BE CENTER

3. By wilyb on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren – Have you had the opportunity to see TE Kyle Auffray in OTAs/mini-camp? His Dallas Super Regional Combine video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erzB0hkdFC4 ) shows a relatively fast TE (4.57 40) with decent receiving skills. Don’t know how he’ll do when the hitting begins, but all the TEs on the roster run around 4.8 – 5.0 40s (Housler being the exception with a 40 time around 4.45). What’s your impression of Auffray?

4. By Andy Kw on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

-I hope in the preseason, Bruce Arians puts the starting offense out for a couple of drives per game. We need Carson Palmer and the offensive line to adapt to the new scheme to give them a feel of what they are going to do in the regular season. Lets see how Palmer does against the 1st unit defenses of opposing teams.
    -Against Green Bay, lets see how our OL does against LB Clay Matthews, A.J. Hawk, their 1st round draft pick DE Datone Jones, and their entire arsenal of elite Defensive Linemen.
    -Against Dallas, Linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer combined for 22.5 sacks last year and each had at least 11 sacks. If our starting OL can make them ineffective, then our OL might be at its best since the Kurt Warner era.
    CB Morris Claiborne vs. WR Larry Fitzgerald is something to watch for. If Carson can shred their defensive backs and can get Fitzgerald the ball, we got nothing to worry about.
    -Against San Diego, the only player our team should worry about is Eric Weddle. This is Carson Palmer’s true test. With such a great Defensive Back, lets see if Carson Palmer can get someone the ball in his direction other than turning the ball over.
    -Against Denver, their entire defense is phenomenal. Carson Palmer needs to do well here. If this team can’t get through their defense, this team is in big trouble.

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

Wilyb -

RE: Auffray

My impression is he is a major long shot. Been working on the second field. Unsigned until a tryout. Never say never, but it’s going to be very tough for him to stick.

6. By hminus on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

The offense is starting to look pretty good,especially considering where it was last season,(the o-line & backfield look 100% better too.)Confident this unit will be AT LEAST mid-league ranked if not better by the end of the season.

7. By Tucson Card on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

Yeah right Darren….. Yeah right! haha jk. The list looks reasonable to me given what we know now.

8. By hminus on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

How much would Shianco’s tab be,($$$,)to come here,(also believe Center should be a draft priority in 2014,)unless they plan to develope Watford or someone else already on the roster.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

WR – Floyd has impressed coaches (and bystanders like myself) with his efforts this offseason. He seems primed for a leap in Year Two. Can he challenge Fitz?

Since it is this of year, and I could care less about Golf, Basketball, or Hockey, let’s tackle this subject.

We saw the cards draft DWash to replace Dansby. Johnson was suppose to replace Rolle, and now a high first rounder goes to Floyd. Hmmmm. So, what if Floyd blossoms ?? What does that mean for Fitz? Lets take a look at Fitz current contract.

Arizona Cardinals
    Search a NFL player, team, position…
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Wide Receiver, 10 years (29 years old)
    Drafted: Round 1 (#3 overall), 2004
    College: Pittsburgh
    Cardinals:

CURRENT SALARY INFORMATION
    CONTRACT:8 yr(s) / $126,000,000 SIGNING BONUS $10,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY $15,750,000 GUARANTEED:$27,000,000 FREE AGENT:2019 / Unrestricted
    YEAR BASE S. BONUS MISC. CAP HIT DEAD
    2011 2,000,000 5,000,000 9,250,000 16,250,000 -
    2012 5,000,000 5,000,000 4,500,000 14,500,000 -
    2013 5,000,000 2,000,000 3,250,000 10,250,000 18,000,000
    2014 12,750,000 2,000,000 3,250,000 18,000,000 13,000,000
    2015 8,000,000 2,000,000 11,250,000 21,250,000 8,000,000
    2016 15,000,000 - 3,250,000 18,250,000 3,000,000
    2017 14,750,000 - 250,000 15,000,000 -
    2018 14,750,000 - 250,000 15,000,000

2014, with a cap hit of 18 mil, seems like too big a cap number. With only 13 mil in dead money, the emergence of Floyd, and Minnesota willing to make a “Hershal Walker” kind-of-trade, could we see the cards move Fitz??? Look at 2015, his cap hit is 21.250 mil and only 8 mil dead money.

No way do the cards go into 2015 with a 21 mil cap hit and Floyd challenging the Number 1.
    Could Fitz be playing in his last year as a card???

10. By Credit Card on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

I read the rectoric that Arians has said about Levi Brown, I simply do not believe it. Over 18-months ago was his last meaningful game. Prior to injury Brown only has 6 to 8 games which were played at a minimal acceptable level. Prior to that, his play was visually substandard, even painful to watch. Brown’s biggest issue is his leg turn-over rate. He has shown on a consistent basis that he has a difficulty in getting to the point of attack, as a result he lunges, reaches and becomes off-balanced. To me, he is guard material.

Cards should also see if Watford can anchor the line at the center position. Best players and athletes s/b playing. If Potter has gained weight and strength — he at least was able to get to the point of attack, plus he did play acceptable (average) his last 4-games.

11. By Darren Urban on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Fitz in 2014

“Only” $13M of dead money? In a season where the cap won’t rise much?

12. By Annette Richters on Jun 19, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the material Darren, I’ve been starving for information. The Diamondbacks are ok, but I prefer to follow the Cards 365 rather than to split my time with other sports. I hope someone is covering the Pro-Camps of Fitz and Palmer. We also want to know who shows. I sure hope Byrd goes to both camps. He is still one of my favorites. I like what BA is doing with the line. They won’t be wondering what the guy next to them is going to do because they have had to learn his job too, so they will know. Mendenhall is going to give us what we have needed forever. A RUNNING GAME. No more prima-donas please. Just blue collar hard working professionals who don’t have a problem getting in the dirt, scraping their knuckles, and hitting the snot out of the other uniform. In your face smashmouth football. GO REDBIRDS

13. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

We definitely need much more at TE. I would really like Shiancoe because he has been productive when he gets playing time. Housler hasn’t broken out like we’ve wanted. Probably because of the QBs but we’ll see a lot of talent though.

14. By Brian on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

JTDG –

I totally agree with you that Fitz’s salary will start looking like the elephant in the room if Floyd starts catching up to him. If the Cards don’t want to keep paying that tab, though, I doubt other teams will be lining up to sign for it. So, the idea of trading him may prove unrealistic.

My guess – Fitz plays this year and next under his current salary. After that, they’ll either negotiate a reduced salary so he can remain a Cardinal for life, or they’ll be forced to release him (my, and every other Cardinal fan’s, worst nightmare). Could depend entirely on where this team is headed two years from now. If Palmer hangs it up two years from now, and there’s no heir apparent to replace him, Fitz may actually want to be released so he can avoid another pu pu platter like DA, Hall, Lindley, Kolb, and Skelton.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

RE: Fitz in 2014
    “Only” $13M of dead money? In a season where the cap won’t rise much?

Or a 18 mil followed by a 21mil hit.
    If the cap doesn’t rise much, can the cards afford to take on the extra 5 million (18 mil cap hit minus the 13 mil dead money).

Seems to me that this contract can not stand in it’s current status. With a cap at 123 million, can the cards afford a non QB to take up 15% of that salary?

Personally, it smells of restructuring. But what if Fitz says no? What if, as you stated, Floyd emerges? If Floyd emerges as a number one type wr, the cards will have to start thinking of his future salary.

In the year Fitz cap hit goes to 21 million (2015), Floyd enters his final year. If Floyd becomes the player we think, can you choose an aging wr over him?

In reality, none of this matters in 2013 and whether Floyd emerges remains to be seen. Fitz has been and will continue to be one of my favorite players. But I see a possible sticky situation and I know Fitz wants to win. A 18 mil cap hit, a losing season, and emergence of Floyd, could spell the end for Fitz in a card uniform.

Also, don’t think for one minute I want this to happen. You know I have argued Fitz is one of the best, if not the Best Wr, I have ever witnessed. I really see him having a big year with Arians moving him around. Hopefully, I am wrong about the future contract.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

D and anyone else who thinks we need a TE;

I entered the draft really liking Tyler Eifert. I think he can be a special player. He and Housler would have matched up against Gronk and Hernandez without the drama. But, I really don’t think we need a TE.

Comparing the cards to the colts TE’s;

With Andrew Luck, the colts TE’s caught 71 passes for 802 yards.
    With 4 different QBs, the cards TEs caught 70 passes for 640 yards.

The colts leader (Allen) and Housler had the same amount of catches (45).

Point is, the cards were not a TE friendly system and had nothing at QB, yet the TEs were not that far off of the colts TEs.

A better stat to look at is this. Palmer threw to the raiders TE. He caught 79 passes for 802 yards. I like Housler better than the raiders Myers. With a QB who finds TEs, a system that will use them, I think King, Housler, Dray and Jefferson are just fine.

17. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

JTDG -

RE: contract

Don’t get me wrong. I have long planned to write a post on this (and will after vacation) but as you note, there are a pitfalls either way.

18. By Ed on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

My prediction: Week 4, Carson Palmer, face as bloody as Kevin Kolb’s the year before, hobbling off the field with an injured knee and complaining to the media how he can’t get a throw off. Because the O-line still SUCKS, still 60% starters from last year (80% if you count Levi)?? Not enough house cleaning for me.

19. By DontTakeLosses on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren: FWIW guess:
    Does Kelemete get cut? Who makes roster at OL?
    DTL

20. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

Look forward to it.

Fans will be angry, but the NFL is a business and things like this are reality.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

Brian,
    No, someone wont take on that contract, but as we saw with Revis and Tampa, someone will trade and restructure a contract. The Jets made that move mostly based on a contract similar to Fitz. (yes there was an injury involved too)

With Minnesota, being Fitz hometown, it would seem to me his likely landing spot. With AP, Jennings and Rudolph, Fitz could be the missing piece. An aging team needing to win now, Fitz putting up 1400 yds and 8 TDs in ’13, it would be a perfect fit.

The cards get cap relief and draft picks. The Vikes get a player that can get them over the Pack.

Again, I am not suggesting we do this but I wont be surprised to not see Fitz here after 2013. Definitely not after 2014 unless Floyd flops, gets in trouble, or something that warrants the cards to redo Fitz and let Floyd walk.

Remember Fitz and Boldin? When Fitz got paid, Boldin had to go. If Floyd gets paid after his 2014 season, Fitz cant stay at 21 mil.

Look forward to how Darren takes on this issue after his vacation.

22. By Annette Richters on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I watched a presser where BA said that two tight ends can confuse a defense better than 4 wide outs. (Maybe he was talking about Fullbacks, llllllllll ok but I watch the teams that have good tight ends like Patriots, 49rs, Atlanta etc etc and then look at what BA has said he plans to do and I am getting excited………..very, very excited about another run to the Super Bowl. I remember what our favorite # 58 said about coming back. Docket convinced him that this team was thinking Super Bowl. Then I remember Palmer saying he wanted to win RIGHT NOW. and that he feels this team can do it. Palmer is planning to practice with Larry and any other WR that shows up. WASUP? Do you think we can make a run with the players and staff (especially BA and Tom Moore who have coached…………let’s see…………how many Super Bowl QBs???????

Your thoughts…………if your still watching this post and not sitting on a beach somewhere.

23. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

DTL -

RE: Kelemete

Senio is practice squad eligible. But he’s going to have to work to do for the 53.

24. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Boldin

Just as a clarification, Q was dealt because the relationship soured so much between he and the team. The Cardinals actually talked to him at one point about an extension similar to what the Ravens gave him. By then, Q was ready to move on.

25. By Cody Zarr on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

JTDG –

I like how analytical you are, but sometimes analysis simply isn’t necessary. Just the length attached to this contract says “restructuring ahead” let alone the absurd amounts of currency involved. Now, this is just opinion as I have no empirical data to support my claim but I believe that the contract length was purely a statement to fans, the team and perhaps Fitz himself.

Even if Floyd didn’t emerge, this contract would be restructured, that is assuming there are no major modifications done to cap room by the NFL. Although I do look forward to reading that article Darren.

As a side note, why do we still call them contracts? We should just change the name to circumstantial agreements or something of that nature. No one has the intention of honoring them anyway.

26. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2013 | Reply

Annette -

RE: Playoffs

I think this team as a lot to prove before we start talking postseason.

27. By Corgon on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

As I see, Fitz is not just one of the best WRs of the NFL who’s value is a first round pick and a box of chocolate, but he’s a franchise player, the heart and soul of the team, a leader, teacher and someone who is almost more valuable in the locker room and of the field for the team, than on the field. You can’t replace all of this. There are many franchises who don’t have someone like him in their roster for a decade. I think Keim knows this and mr.B as well. They’ll work something out.

28. By cardsalltheway on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

William Powell continues to get insulted.

29. By Annette Richters on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Darren, There are 32 teams that have a “lot to prove” as far as the performance is concerned. My point is this, we have talent as good as any other team in the League. We have Coaches with proven winning track records. BA and Tom Moore. BA is 9-3 as a head coach. We have as good a chance as any of the other 31 teams to make the Super Bowl. Just saying…………………..SUPER BOWL BOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO RED BIRDS.

30. By Annette Richters on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Hey Ed, Got any money honey??? Let’s make a friendly little get on your prediction about Carson Palmer and our O-Line. Just reply and we can set the wager. Something friendly like which one of us gets to have a sign hung around their neck saying I’M A NINER WHINER FAN. :)

31. By Chris B on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,
    The contract is interesting, as this is a business, however, there is more to a player sometimes than someone who catches the ball (in this case). The Patriots have Tom Brady- a face to the franchise- and Welker was just a guy regardless of talent. Andrew Luck became the new face of the Colts but Wayne remained and was more than just a guy. Kaep became the face of the franchise last year in SF and now anyone else becomes just a guy. If SF keeps winning with Kaep, could they get rid of Willis and survive? I believe so, yes. (they didn’t really have an offensive face, save Gore)
    Right now, Fitzgerald is not just someone who catches balls, he IS the face of the franchise. He IS the selling point of the Cardinals. As Dwight Schrute would say, “He is the money Beet.” The Cardinals want to grow the fans base. Short of winning a Super Bowl, if your team can’t win, you sell the players (to the public). For example; what jerseys are selling in Oakland right now? Their first round pick? Maybe? If they weren’t such a storied franchise, would they have fans? What are the Jaguars selling right now? Not a winning team… Jones-drew is the only one there. They won’t ship him off except for a King’s Ransom or until they have a new face, probably a QB.
    That contract does get ugly soon, but if they ship him out, why would anyone pay attention to the Cardinals? Is Floyd really THAT good? Perhaps if the Cardinals obtain a franchise QB next year, someone to become the new face and Floyd becomes a guy like Wayne was last year, maybe they move Fitz. Maybe.
    The NFL is a business and the players are the product. If Apple discontinues the iPod, they must replace it with something equal to or- preferably- better than it.
    Fitz is the Cardinals iPod. Unless someone on Defense can become “Ray Lewis”, Fitz is why anyone cares about the Cards right now. Fitz is how the Cards expect to expand their fan base. Fitz is the money beet.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Cody Zarr,

I agree that the contract was to always be redone in 2015. Fitz would get a bunch of money and give cards cap relieve from the 21 mill cap hit.

The question is, with Floyd emerging as a number 1 type wr (assuming he does) his contract will end after 2015. Therefore, can you resign Floyd and restructure Fitz? Will Floyd want to continue being the number 2 or will he opt to leave to be a number 1 and get Fitz money? What kind of deal will Fitz want to restructure?

It seems to me that it will all come to a very sticky moment after 2014 season. Maybe with some moving around, the cards can account for Fitz’s 18 mil in 2014. But 3 years in a row of 18+ will be tough.

As someone said, there is an elephant in the room and by next year, everyone will see it. Maybe they hide it for a year with releasing Colledge, Dockett and Brown and all those 1 year deals, But come 2015, it must be dealt with.

Darren;
    RE; Boldin
    I know the relationships soured but didn’t they sour over Boldin’s promise of a new contract? Also, wasn’t Boldin seeking more from the cards than what he got with the ravens?
    Please clarify if my memory is incorrect.

33. By Darren Urban on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

JTDG -

RE: Q

Boldin felt they had promised him a new deal. It was about that time the Cards decided they didn’t want to keep extending guys with multiple years left on their deal. Plus Fitz got his massive first extension, and Whiz also got involved on the organization’s side, all ticking Q off. It was my understanding that deal the Ravens gave Q was similar to what the Cards were going to give him. The Cards wanted to tag that on to the end of his current deal – with a bonus – which Q didn’t want. But by the time Q got to Baltimore, it basically worked out the same. I don’t know what Q was wanting, but I don’t think it ever came to that. Too many other base issues.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Chris B

Love the Schrute reference.

To everyone;
    I love Fitz and want to keep him till he can’t do it anymore. I dont even want to see a Jerry Rice situation down the road.

What I do think is Fitz and his agent are brilliant. They have set up past contracts that have forced the cards into a restructure with big bonuses or release him. He has the same kind of structure this time (I know in the past he had a no trade clause-but I don’t think that is the case this time). More Guaranteed money and bonuses heading his way. By the end of his career, he might own a franchise.

First thing to think about would be if Fitz wants to restructure. What if we lose again this year. Could he want out? What if we are losing and Floyd becomes the top target? Get my point?

I also know Fitz is the face of our franchise. Teams usually make a QB the face. (it would have been interesting if we landed Manning how that would have played out). I am confident in Palmer and I believe the passing game will be so much better, including Fitz’s production.

But, What if the cards land a Johnny Manzel or AJ McCarens (how will that locker room be with Dockett and AJ -see Dockett comments about AJs girl) . Would Manzel become the franchise and the offense tailored around him?

Point is, this is the slow time of year. This topic is a year early. There is so many factors that can change things. But, as you go into this year, and you head the stadium , appreciate Fitz. You never know if this is the last year he is playing on your team.

35. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

I have always seen good NFL teams that are winners seem to have common denominators…PLAY-MAKERS…Cornerstones…

on OFFENSE; a real good QB (Palmer), real good WR (Fitz), real good RB (Mendenhal), a serviceable OLine (still unproven), and the rest play hard.

on DEFENSE; a real good Middle LB ( Washington), a real good CB (Peterson), and PassRusher (Campbel), and the rest play hard.

I think we are very close. I am looking forward to see what this coaching staff can do to get more out of our team through better play calling and adjustments.

36. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

Just thinking…
    We seem to be extra loaded and deep with talent at the Defensive Corner position. There are several teams who need good Corners, so I’m wondering if we can build “more depth” at the Offensive Line with some trades? It also gives our starters good breaks to catch their breath every once and a while, it’s a long season.
    Especially in our tough NFC West Division.
    That’s what hurt our great start, (4 wins and 0 losses), last year when our O-lineman got hurt.
    What do guys think?

37. By ored on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

i think if a good oline man were available reasonbly,we try to do a deal,but right now we seem pretty well set and just need to gel.the depth part will work its way out,but for now the more immediate need is practice and cohesiveness,once players start reacting and not thinking first,then the speed will be there.

38. By Kevin S on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

It’s easy to react to some of JDTG’s posts re: Fitz with the “Oh, they’ll never trade Fitz”-kind of response. But the fact is, in today’s NFL, this is the way it is. The NFL isn’t like MLB… the salary cap completely changes the dynamic.

39. By Kevin S on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

Wow, just saw that LVH has released updated betting lines for 2013. The Cards O/U win total is at 5.5. And they are tied with the Jags for the worst odds to win the SB (300/1), and actually have worse odds than the Jags to win their conference (the Jags are 135/1 to win the AFC and the Cards are 150/1 to win the NFC). No other NFC team is at worse than 30/1 to win the conference.

So, with all the changes in the coaching staff and our players, Vegas is saying we remain one of the very worst teams in the NFL. Sure would be nice for this team to surprise.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

cards season ticket holder;

I dont think we know what we have till the oline starts hitting and going live.

So many times, a guy on the oline proves himself by his play in training camp and preseason. If there is going to be a trade, I would think it would happen then.

As for Olineman, I think the cards are happy with the 7 guys they have and will look to one to two others to step up. You have your 5 starters and Potter and Watford. The other one of two most likely will come from the guys we have.

I think if a trade for a significant olineman would occur, it would be because one of the starters are injured or have failed.

But dont worry, besides our center Sendlin, there have been a few successful undrafted FA’s. HOF Larry Little, Brian Waters, Jeff Saturday, Tyson Clabo, Brian Del La Puente are all successful UDFA.

Two guys to watch are Wedige at center and big Jamaal Johnson-Webb

41. By Annette Richters on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

Well, there has been some spirited response to this post. I’ve just reread them all including my own. I do not deny being a Cards fan and that includes a “whoever” for who is in our uniform, and a whatever for what others say about our team. Football is about teaching each player well enough that he plays with instinct. 1/100th of a second taken to think about what to do and you can’t make it up. I have faith in the coaches I have just studied. They are winners, not losers. They are not talking about needing a couple of years to turn the team around. They are thinking Super Bowl this year and prove me wrong. I like that kind of guts and spirit. I like a downfield ball tosser. I like a bruising smashmouth running back that can follow blocks and then get another 4 yards on his own and I do think we have a good core in our o line and I also think we are fine at tackle, both sides. Our O Line is made up of proud men. If Levi doesn’t show everyone that he is indeed worthy of his pick spot, you can call me out after the season, but Levi Brown has grown up and he “AINT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE”. Yes I shouted, so what. GO LEVI, I got your back on here. Our defense is going to be a top 5 and that means we beat the three teams in our division. YES WE WILL NINER WHINER. :) gotta love football. gotta love my team. they are gonna win. GO CARDS NUFF SAID

42. By Kevin Flood on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

Being from Ohio and following the Akron Zips,was curious to hear the thoughts on Adam Bice,udfa center.

43. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Kevin -

RE: Bice

Don’t know much about him. Obviously, he’s a longshot.

2. Jun 20, 2013: Around the NFC West: A positive message | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS