• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Hair last year, but it’s gone now

Posted by Darren Urban on July 1, 2013 – 1:00 pm

With the building half-empty with players scattered around the country and coaches on vacation, it seems to be a good time to talk about hair. In part, that’s because Darnell Dockett DreadlessUSEjust shaved off his long-time locks, only furthering a trend of late. I mean, it’s not like Bruce Arians sat in a team meeting and said, “We need to turn this around, we need to play better, and oh, by the way, I can’t stand the long hair.” But it was hard not to notice when running back Ryan Williams and wide receiver LaRon Byrd clipped their dreadlocks and then safety Rashad Johnson did the same, asking his followers on Twitter first if they thought it was a good idea. (Those are the three in the photo to the right.)

Johnson was going to do it anyway — he just felt like it was time for a change. That was some of Williams’ thought too, and as you can see below, that’s what Dockett was thinking too. Time for a fresh start. Maybe Arians’ arrival didn’t bring with it an express message of necessary haircuts but instead just a vibe that reached out to players that said “Snip it!” (Or, more likely, I am just overanalyzing something on a dead day in the offseason.) Heck, I’m not even including guard Daryn Colledge, who didn’t have dreadlocks but had his own long hair that he chose to shear off this offseason.

Dock talked about what a big year it is for him, so this is a type of rebirth. Actually, you look at that list of names — Williams, Byrd, Johnson, Colledge, Dockett — and it could be a big year for all of them to prove their value here with a new staff and new front office (yes, Johnson did just get an extension.) It is the NFL of course, and you know what that makes possible for many players: Hair today, gone tomorrow.

UPDATE: I texted Larry Fitzgerald to see if, you know, he might be following suit with his dreads. His response, expected as it was, was blunt: “No shot.” It shouldn’t be a surprise, but I had forgotten that Fitz has a reason for his long hair — his mother, who passed away from cancer when Fitz was in college.

“I grow my hair in honor of my late mother,” Fitz said in a follow-up text. “It’s a reminder of her great strength and courage in time of doubt and uncertainty. It’s a consistent reminder to keep living and never to give up. It’s not a fad like it is for other guys. My hair has a purpose to me.”

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Hair last year, but it’s gone now”

1. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

why does popcorn pop who cares…..

2. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Change has come to the AZ Cardinals in more ways than any of us know.

This is going to be a Very Interesting Season.

GO CARDS!!!

3. By Kurt on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Must have been the Phoenix training camp – looming on the horizon – Kudos to all

4. By Louisville Card on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Did you ask Fitz if he’s next?

5. By Dynosoar on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

I must’ve just been in tune, cut my hair just as short last week. (then again, I’ve never had my hair that long, then again at this point in life, if I had hair that long it’d be to swoop it over, which I’ll never do.)

Well if I am in tune with the team enough to get a haircut at the same time as Docket, then I’m hoping they’re just as in tune with me.

19-0 and a ring in New York. Just feel it with me guys. Just feel it with me.

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Fitz hair

Not yet. I did. I updated the post.

7. By Louisville Card on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Nice update Darren…

8. By Jammer on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren, In keeping with the spirit of change, I think It’s only fitting you grow your hair out in dreads this season.

9. By CaliCardinal on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Gotta love our boys! It is a season of change and if this is a way they express that then more power to them! As for Larry – it is such an honor to cheer every week for a man with such integrity. Thanks for the update. Any positive Cardinals news is welcome news ;)

10. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Keep that hair to Honor your Mom Fitz.

You do not need to change a thing Fitz. In fact the rest of the NFL needs to be more like You!

GO CARDS!!!

11. By Eric G on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Did the Cards hire the ghost of George Steinbrenner?

12. By Eazy E on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

I don’t like it. It’s their hair and all but I’m growing my hair out and it is cool. The dreads are the best hairstyle imo. Coach Arians better not have said or inferred that and they applied because he’s there coach not there daddy.

13. By georgiebird on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Year after year, the Cardinals seem to have the best group of character guys in the league. Hopefully, the Cards can become competitive in 2013 and make a run at the playoffs in 2014.

14. By Steve Drumm on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Yeah Darren, we(the fans)want to see you sporting some kind of Rastafarian look this season! Would you do it for charity?

15. By NYCardinals212 on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

Ol’ Georgiebird is just one big ray of sunshine today. Shine on Georgiebird, shine on!

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Hair

Yeah, my big-time hair-growing days are past, methinks.

17. By Whey on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

18. By BS on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

Sounds like Sampson to me…GO CARDS!!!!!!

19. By Scott H on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

OK…new hair….hey, if it helps them win more games, then line everybody up! EXCEPT for Fitz because that man has the coolest dreads anyone in the NFL has ever had.

Hmmm…in the spirit of this whole new look hair thing, maybe we could get Arians to put some dreads ON! Imagine THAT with his high white socks??? Oh, man….

20. By CaliCardinal on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

Whey thanks for sharing that article! What I have been saying since the end of last season – defenses will have new answers for Kaeperfu*k and Wilson. Ours esp. They had the element of surprise and now that’s gone their stats will drop. Palmer has good stats for the “talent” he had to work with. Not Brady or Manning stats, but not the worst out there. There is hope Red Sea! I haven’t herd Larry excited about a QB since Kurt left. If Larry can get excited, so can I. GO CARDINALS

2. Aug 3, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Colledge’s beard and injured backs