Metcalf joins NFL-USO trip

Posted by Darren Urban on July 5, 2013 – 9:48 am

Every summer the NFL sends a group of players/coaches/others overseas to take part in the NFL-USO tour to visit our servicemen and women over there fighting for our country. In the past, both Larry Fitzgerald and then-coach Ken Whisenhunt took part. This year, there is a Cardinals’ tie with former running back/kick returner Eric Metcalf joining the group. Not only did Metcalf’s dad, Terry, play a huge role in the Cardinals’ really good teams of the mid-1970s, but Eric Metcalf, of course, played a huge role in getting the miracle Cardiac Cards of 1998 into the playoffs. You remember that, right? (If you don’t, check out the video of the last 16 seconds of the 1998 regular-season finale against the Chargers, below.)

Tags:

20 Responses to “Metcalf joins NFL-USO trip”

1. By Kurt on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Very nice memory lane – Thanks Darren

2. By G Witt on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

That was so much fun to watch.I was at that game. Then we went to Dallas and kicked some Butts!!

3. By Safety Guy on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

Anything on Camp Fitzgerald MN or Camp Palmer San Diego

4. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Great memory. I remember jumping the fence and running around with other Card fans.
    I let the younger guys take down the goal post but I remember everyone was having such a good time.
    Funny thing is, I remember all of Lassitore ‘s 4 picks and how SD tied up that game with 16 seconds left and I thought we blew our chance. Then Metcalf’s run back changed everything. But I could not remember the Kicker. Jacke? Would never have come up with that.

That was a good team. Going to Dallas and beating the Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin cowboys. Who would have thought it would take 10 more years before being a playoff team again?

5. By Eric G on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

I remember being at that game, the crowd literally went ape-you know what. A lot of frustration was released that day. The next week when the Cards beat the Cowpies was even sweeter.

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

That victory was great, but beating the long-time bully, Dallas, in the playoffs was so sweet for this fan who struggled to watch Dallas thump the Cardinals so many times in the 70s and 80s.

Nice to get a very brief glimpse of Pat Tillman starting to get excited behind coach on the replay.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Safety —

RE: Camps

I still expect Palmer to visit Fitz in MN. Not sure beyond that.

8. By Nor cal cards fan on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren – Were u at that game..?

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Nor Cal —

RE: 1998 clincher

I was not. That was before my Cardinals days. I was actually at the house of my good friend Paul Coro — now the Az Rep’s Suns writer — and we watched it on TV.

10. By Eazy E on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Jerseys are pretty nice and the logo is still classic!

11. By cardsalltheway on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

“Every summer the NFL sends a group of players/coaches/others overseas to take part in the NFL-USO tour to visit our servicemen and women over there fighting for our country.”

Every summer American football fans/taxpayers spend more money to defend rich nations than those nations themselves. For example, we spend more money to defend S. Korea than they do. They have only spent $800 million annually since 2009 while Americans have spent $330 million more than S. Korea each year. We have about 28.000 troops in S. Korea whereas we have 38.000 in Japan, but Japan spends 2 billion annually to support U.S. troops.
    “US, South Korea set timetable for military cost-sharing pact”

U.S. Soldier crimes in S. Korea for May/2013

12. By johnnybluenose on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

that was sweet. let’s hope for lots of similar exciting experiences this year.

13. By clssylssy on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Very nice article and clip Darren. I love to see the Cardinals supporting our troops and it’s always good to see players old and new involved in this very worthy effort. I remember those days fondly and the excitement of that season w Jake the Snake and company (still have my #16 jersey) has sustained me through many lean years until our rebirth in 2008. Too many years in between and cooling!

14. By Darren Urban on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: USO trips

Troll somewhere else. You’ve been warned. Again.

15. By Buck on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Please get cardsalltheway off of this website. His last post is an insult to every one of us who were in the service during any conflict. I resent his remarks!!

16. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Man, you turn a story of a few players lifting spirits of servicemen, who don’t get to watch the games in their living rooms or being with their loved ones, into a political argument.

“Fighting for our country? Really? Are you sure? I know some do a lot of drinking/drugs/assaults and other horrible crimes as well.”

What is the percent that does that?
    Look at the NFL, less than .5% of the players get in trouble, which is less than the general public, yet we hear every bad story. Meanwhile David Carter is doing everything he can to help some people he doesn’t even know in Yarnell. I would say the same is true. The % of servicemen/women doing the things listed is far less than the general public.
    Regardless of political views, these men and women, pack up and do as they are told with the believe they are serving you and me. My Dad spent 50 years in the service, and I think he did it to better his family, community and country.

17. By Dynosoar on Jul 7, 2013 | Reply

33 Days till Green Bay. Aaaargh! Can someone find me a Back to the Future car? 33 days. 33 days. 33 days.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

The supplimental draft is coming up. It seems like this draft is a bunch of castoffs with red flags.
    Last year the Browns grabbed a budding star in Josh Gordon. The Packers tried to grab the DB, but found him ineligible, having to wait for draft.

With the cards taking honey badger (red flag player kicked off a college team), do they have any interest in anyone in this draft?

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Supplemental

To be honest, I don’t know of anyone out there. The football side has been on vacation, so I’m not sure what that means in terms of interest. Besides, I think one red-flag risk is enough for one year.

2. Jul 5, 2013: Metcalf joins NFL-USO trip | football-feed.com