• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Cards go camping in Minnesota

Posted by Darren Urban on July 10, 2013 – 1:26 pm

Every year, Larry Fitzgerald holds about a month’s worth of work at home in Minnesota. There is a little bit of throwing and mostly hardcore conditioning and weightlifting, all designed to help in the “downtime” an NFL player has right before training camp. I was fortunate enough to take a trip up to visit last year (here is the story and the resulting video of that trip.) The time there is great for these guys. Hard work through noon or 1, and then everyone is usually invited daily back to Fitz’s house to hang out or go jet-skiing on the lake. I’d take that life this time of year. This year, both Fitz and new quarterback Carson Palmer talked a few times how they were going to hook up during the workouts, and Palmer, a man of his word, is indeed up in Minnesota right now.

Apparently, most of the throwers and catchers are, for that matter. Fitz will take anyone across the league who wants to come — last year, Jaguars receiver Cecil Shorts and Seahawks running back Leon Washington were among the guys there when I was there — but it’s never bad when Cardinals come. This year, there are a ton of Cardinals there. Fitz put out the picture below earlier today on social media (thanks for letting me “borrow” it, Fitz). From left to right, starting in the back, it is Michael Rios, Jaron Brown, Dan Buckner (I hope, always tougher with the undrafted rookies), Tyler Shaw, QB Ryan Lindley, LaRon Byrd, Kerry Taylor, QB Carson Palmer, Michael Floyd and QB Drew Stanton. In the front, it’s Andre Roberts, Charles Hawkins, Fitz and Robert Gill. (Here is a story from a local TV station with a little video.)

It’s a huge turnout, and seems to bode well. Then again, if you are a QB and Palmer is going to be there, or you are a receiver and Fitz, Floyd and Roberts are going to be there, it’s tough to say no. Either way, I think of Bruce Arians saying when the Cards come back for camp there can’t be regression — that at worst the Cards have to come in where they left off after offseason work, and maybe even a little ahead.

It’s hard not to think that the QBs and receivers will accomplish that goal after working in Fitz’s backyard.

FitzCamp

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Cards go camping in Minnesota”

1. By lg on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

BIRDGANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By scott023 on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Larry you are the leader of men. Your mother and father have done an amazing job with you. You are ( on and off the field) loaded with greatness. All by example, Your hard work has lead the way for all football players to see. Not a selfish or greedy bone in you. You truly are about winning, I have watched you happy for any of your team mates that do well, never hear you cry about things, you just work harder. number eleven is on three of our family members jersey’s at every game on our tv. We are eight hundred miles away and all dressed in cardinals jersey’s, with all the support we can give. Thank for all you do.

3. By Michael Shuman on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

That’s what I like about our team. True dedication. I know Lindley seemed like a train-wreck last year, but it wasn’t really his fault alone. I blamed him most of last year, until I truly thought about the stress a QB must go through, especially when they are thrown to the wolves. Carson and Larry will hopefully develop great chemistry out there, along with Floyd and Roberts. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, this team is a winner, we just need to show that to the rest of the league.

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Awesome, that is the kind of desire to get better that is needed, way to go to All who showed up for the ‘Workout Of All Workouts’!

Carson Palmer looks like he is having Fun.
    Floyd looks like he is ready to kick some rear!
    Like it a lot that Byrd is also with Fitz this year, I hope it helps.
    Then there are the other AzCardinal WR’s that are there, all but Swope and Dillard.

The Plus side of All these players being with Fitz is going to show in preseason.
    The only Down side is we can’t keep All of the Good ones.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By Dynosoar on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

More and more and more excited about this season. Next February we’ll be celebrating a victory over an AFC team in NY.

Am I dreaming. I don’t think so.

These 3 QB’s and 11 WR’s are an impressive group.

Darren, do defensive players ever show up for this?

6. By Leeskicitizen on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

I would have liked to see Rob Housler in the group, but I’m very happy to see the first line quarterbacks and their receiver counterparts there. I’m especially pleased to see Robert Gill there.

A quarterback developing and mastering timing with speed receivers creates one of the greatest threats of any offense. What a great asset it is for Larry to provide his home as an opportunity to develop that.

7. By Eazy E on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

I know Fitz and our Wideouts will be ready, but will Carson? #I ain’t sold

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: defensive players

Last year, Vikings DE Everson Griffen and Rams S Craig Dahl were there. I don’t think any Cards defensive players have been.

9. By jeffgollin on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

USA Today ran a half-page article on the Fitz Camp on page 7C (with a front page tease to it). I’m not sure if it was an independent piece or a pickup of Darren’s article, but either way, it’s nice to see the Cards getting a little bit of off-season love.

10. By joe67 on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand the “nay sayers” (easy e) about Palmer. 4008 yards with a bad team last year says a lot. I personally think he may be the least of our worries. I sure hope I am right. Not expecting a super bowl (sorry Dyno) but a winning record and possible playoff spot would be GREAT!! Go Cards!!!

11. By PotAsh on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

As a small aside. While I’m rehabbing my torn ACL here in the valley, I have seen the following guys from the Cards training – Levi Brown (a few times), Sam Acho, Jasper Brinkley and Daryn Colledge. And that’s just when I was there. Who knows who else shows up and works hard.

Go Cards! Good luck this season, and I really, really, really hope that you make all the naysayers eat their own words.

Just wanted to make sure that these guys without the high profile “off” seasons get credit too.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

jeffgollin –

RE: USA Today

Tom Pellisaro, the writer (who happens to be a friend of mine), lives in Minnesota. He was there.

13. By Ditship on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

This is awesome! No Swope though huh? I’m assuming we’re not going to see him this year if ever.

14. By Dynosoar on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

thanks.

15. By Dynosoar on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

joe67,

No need to be sorry, just enjoy it when it happend (haha).

We certainly have the tallent, coaching and players. If it translates to game day we’re in the running to win it all, if it doesn’t translate… Ah man, let it translate.

16. By Ethan on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

This is AWESOME!! They seem hungry to win! For good and bad, I have been a proud Cardinal fan since I was a kid, but this (aside from our Super bowl run) is the most excited I have been in a long time! We are all so proud and appreciative of you guys and your extra hard work. I can’t wait to see it turn into wins! Larry, what else can be said about you man??? You are the quintessential athlete, professional and overall human. I am inspired by you daily. LOVE MY CARDS!! BIRDGANG!

17. By zach on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

No Swope?

18. By Shenanigangsta on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Every year a bunch of Cards come up here to Minnesota and every year they seem to forget to visit the biggest Cards fan in the Twin Cities (me). I’m starting to feel like it’s deliberate . . .

Tom Pellisaro moved to USA Today? Good for him! He’s a really funny dude.

19. By Chris on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

And no D.C. Washington TE. Thiught that would present a great opportunity to polish his route running skills and understanding for the receiving part of his position.

Too: No Swope? Or do u think he has to stay in AT due to medical reason (treatment, no flight)

No Housler? A pity.

20. By Abel Martinez on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

wow great group of guys but yeah no housler or DC nor swope what a shame

2. Jul 11, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Palmer and throwing from behind
  3. Jul 11, 2013: Around the NFC West: Putting in the work | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS
  4. Aug 4, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Fitz’s key call to Hall of Famer Carter