Personality puts Arians in good coaching spot

Posted by Darren Urban on July 17, 2013 – 11:00 am

No one knows exactly how Bruce Arians will be as a head coach, not even Arians. Yes, he got a dry run last year with the Colts – Arians won Coach of the Year honors in the NFL last year for that, so it meant something – but that time was also fueled in part by emotion, in a setup that was still Chuck Pagano’s even if Pagano wasn’t able to be there some of the time.

Yet, as can be seen in the comments made a couple of nights ago while Arians was at the NFL All-Access event in Los Angeles, the chance to see what Arians can be like as a head coach given his interpersonal qualities is intriguing. He came into this job talking about how blunt he can be, and goodness knows I myself witnessed some of that in offseason practices. He can get very angry if something is done the wrong way, and he has no problem telling his players such.

When it’s over, though, it sure seems to be over. He is emotional – he’s made that point about himself too – and doesn’t have a problem showing it. That’s not just anger. That’s tears (we’ve already seen him choke up talking about his family). While Arians obviously has input on personnel, the fact GM Steve Keim has final say will be a good separation here. Arians will care about his guys, and that’s a strength, yet Keim can make the hard decisions if necessary. That will be better with the players (who can forget Anquan Boldin getting mad that Ken Whisenhunt was so involved in his contract dispute.) Certainly, Arians seems to have the type of personality that will drive the players to do well in support of him. He has no shortage of believing players he’s left in his wake over the years in Indy and Pittsburgh, for sure.

Everything remains in the honeymoon period. Nothing has gone wrong yet and that’ll be another test of Arians and his staff. But with camp starting next week, you can see why there was a belief Arians can do the job managing a roster full of different personalities and pull them together.

AriansGoodBlog

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Personality puts Arians in good coaching spot”

1. By Ben on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Will be nice to see some emotion on the sideline. Only saw it once out of Whiz to the FB in the Atlanta game last year. I think that was the game at least.

Always like coaches that have some emotion I think players can ride that emotion into wins.

2. By Dynosoar on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Bruce Arians and Larry Fitzgerald have broken every sense of fashion in the above photo. Wow, they have to be very confident to dress like that. Haha.

3. By Dynosoar on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

If Arians is half as good as players make him out to be our players will go to the ends of the earth for him. That means Super Bowl for sure.

I’m thirlled to see a coach who leads players to greatness.

4. By Chuck 1 on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Accountability.
    That is a welcome change.
    If the players can’t stand the heat in the kitchen, go elsewhere.

I see 8-8, not the pundits’ calls for 5-11.
    2014 will be even better.

5. By Dynosoar on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1,

I agree the pundits ar wrong. Let’s see what I can come up with and hey, EVERYONE, it’s time for some pre-season predictions that will be entirely wrong by game 6. Hehe.

I don’t care if I’m wrong by game 6, as long as I’m right by game 19 (20).

Wins
    Rams, Lions, Buccaneers, Panthers, 49ers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Colts, Rams, Titans, Seahawks and 49ers

Losses
    Saints, Falcons, Texans and Eagles

So 12-4, first round bye

Playoff wins
    NFC semi final, NFC final, Super Bowl

Playoff losses
    Not this year

6. By mark on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

I hate predictions and saying my team will win this many games. I just am SUPER EXCITED to see how much different our players play. A new coach means a brand new energy in the locker room. ARIANS is the man for this job, now our team has got to own it. I am really pulling for mathieu this year to make a huge impression. Lets hope we are all impressed.

7. By Lifetime Fan on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

@Dyno, You have us sweeping the division bud! I thought I was the most optimistic Cards fan and even I wouldn’t pick that, but I’m with you for the last three!

8. By joe67 on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

Dyno, as another old timer I love your optimism. We have had to keep it over the last 40-50 years, right??!! You are close on the pix, but I can’t see sweeping the div. Will beat the eagles and maybe the Falcons since we are home. Split with 49ers and Seahawks and probably the rams as well (all home and home) 10-6 at best, and that is being pretty optimistic. Probably 8-8 9-7. Keep the Faith

9. By Dynosoar on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

21 Days.

10. By sbrown on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

pre-camp / pre-season W-L guess…

If Cards can go 3 – 3 in division and get wins over Lions, Bucks, Jags, Panthers and Titans, then we are looking at 8 wins. I like their chances vs Eagles and Falcons who the Cards always play tough. I also like that Falcons and Colts are home games, maybe the Red Sea can rise up and help get a couple of W’s there.
    Bottom line, if Cards go 8 – 8 or 9 – 7 AND we see big improvement in the offense, then Keim and BA have turned the ship around and 2014 will be a huge year.

11. By Andy Kw on Jul 22, 2013 | Reply

My Prediction this year to win division and wild card spots:
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (10-6)
    NFC North: Green Bay Packers (9-7)
    NFC South: Atlanta Falcons (12-4)
    NFC West: San Francisco 49ers (12-4)
    NFC Wild Card: Arizona Cardinals (11-5), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-6)
    (Seahawks will miss the playoffs by just 1 game and end up 10-6, Saints end up 8-8 and needs 1 more year to be playoff contenders)

AFC East: New England Patriots (11-5)
    AFC North: Baltimore Ravens (11-5)
    AFC South: Houston Texans (12-4)
    AFC West: Denver Broncos (12-4)
    AFC Wild Card: Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6), Indianapolis Colts (9-7)

Wild Card Round:
    ARI over GB 27-17
    WAS over TB 30-24
    BAL over PIT 21-19
    IND over NE 34-28
    Divisional Round:
    ARI over SF 26-24
    ATL over WAS 34-21
    DEN over IND 28-13
    HOU over BAL 28-16
    Championship:
    DEN over HOU 37-23
    ARI over ATL 30-27
    SUPER BOWL: ARI vs. DEN (?)

2. Jul 18, 2013: Around the NFC West: A welcome reminder | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS