Powell out as Cards make roster moves

Posted by Darren Urban on July 23, 2013 – 3:05 pm

As #CardsCamp closes in, the Cardinals are adjusting their roster to get ready for stadium workouts. The team hasn’t officially announced moves yet, but the NFL’s official transactions release noted the team cut three players Tuesday: running back William Powell, tight end Kyle Auffray and wide receiver Michael Rios. Rios was cut with a non-football injury, and the undrafted player from Marist missed most of the offseason work with some sort of foot injury.

The same list has the Cards also signing former Notre Dame wide receiver Robby Toma, who was in for a tryout Tuesday. As with the cut players, nothing official has been announced by the team.

If you are scoring at home, that would mean the Cards have a pair of open roster spots right now (not including the one being saved for unsigned Jonathan Cooper, who officially is not taking up a spot until he inks a deal.)

UPDATE: And now it is official via the team. Rios was indeed waived because of a foot problem.

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Powell out as Cards make roster moves”

1. By cardfan on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

WI POE!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! Well oh well I wish him luck. I see Arians seems to be getting rid of all small running backs. No more hyphen no more Powell

2. By clssylssy on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

As if we weren’t weak enough at RB, I hate to see Powell cut after he showed promise in last year’s preseason. It would appear that the new coach has missed out on the importance of a good run game and is pinning all his expectations on an aerial offense which should take our opponents less than two minutes to figure out. With an O-line that is still shakey and Palmer’s best years behind him (according to ESPN and NFL Live) things are not looking as rosey as hyped. Seems like a cheap shot to cut Powell four days before training camp.

3. By Patrick Hoog on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Just wanted to wish William Powell well, in case he reads here, admire his grit.

4. By birdgang on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Nooo why Powell?! He was a good running back!

5. By sbrown on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

IMO the Cards would only keep four RB’s on the roster. It looks like both Powell and A. Smith would have been cut. This will give Powell a chance to maybe find another team going to camp to hook on with.

6. By Keith on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

I liked Powell too, but they have Mendenhall, Williams, Taylor and Ellington. Looked at tapes of Ellington and was blown away by him. That’s already 4 backs!

7. By luk on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Kudos to all the camp coverage.Can’t wait for pad days

8. By dieselbomb on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

I had hopes for Powell. Good man, hard working, serious-minded player with ability. I hope a good team will pick him up. I don’t think his effort here should be in vain.

9. By Corgon on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

I wish WiPo all the best! Liked him. I hope someone will pick him up in the next few days.

10. By cardsalltheway on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

What an insult.
    Stump Mitchell spent his vacation working with Stepfan Taylor, William Powell should’ve seen the writing on the wall despite the fact that he was our healthiest RB last year, led our RB’s in avg. yards per carry with 3.6 and led the NFL in total yards during preseason. So, we can expect Stepfan Taylor to do the same and protect Rashad Mendenhall and Ryan Williams(carrying the load) during preseason as W. Powell did last year while staying healthy all season right? Good, S. Taylor can carry the ball the most during preseason(if he can hack it?) and then we can bring in Mendenhall & Williams with very few preseason carries just like B. Wells and R. Williams last year. It’s good to know both our late round rookie RB’s are already better than William Powell. I can’t wait to see our RB’s this year, Yippie Yippie Yi Yippie Yippie Yi yo yo!

11. By EDijkstra on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

I’m sorry to see this. I thought he showed tremendous promise. He might be able to do great things with a decent line.

12. By debeezy on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

@clssylssy- So you’re saying we should go based on preseason numbers? That means nothing come regular season. We already have FOUR other running backs

13. By justscott on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

Cmon people, really? You’re upset they cut this guy? Yes, he had a great preseason last year. Last time I checked, those games dont count. Dont recall him doing anything during the season when teams had their starters in there. There are already 4 guys ahead of him. He wasnt going to play anyway. I’m glad he made the team last year but our rbs were a joke. RBs look much stonger this year. I do wish him well.

14. By JohnL on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

William Powell was also one of my favorites. What impressed me most was that he followed his blockers as far as possible before cutting. As a result he consistently gained 3+ yards a carry which is really all you need to take pressure off the passing game (non-existent last year but a great hope this year). He was also durable even though not a big back.

15. By clssylssy on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

As I recall there were a number of players who didn’t do much in the regular season last year but who are still hanging on so to use last year’s peformance as any kind of indicator is a bit skewed. Hard to judge a player if they don’t play. As for the guys ahead of Powell, I don’t know how you can evaluate Mendenthall or Taylor as they weren’t around and the other guy has been broken since we signed him. But, as they say, sometimes things happen for a reason and Powell has been picked up already by the Eagles and under Chip Kelley I could see him having a good year. He and Foles are young and have their careers ahead of them! Good Luck to Powell, and while I’m not really a fan of the Eagles am wishing him the best. As far as our RBs go, I’m expecting Stefan Taylor to be our #1starter with Mendenthall as backup. The Cards haven’t had a decent running game in years and all our opponents know it. I was encouraged when we got a RB coach/consultant as I thought Coach Arians was going to develop our run game however without bodies that will be hard to do. Too bad we didn’t pick up Chris Ivory or even better drafted Montee Ball when we had the opportunity.

16. By Brian on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

Bottom line, Powell is not an Arians guy. They spent draft picks on Ellington and Taylor, signed Mendenhall and Williams has shown to be solid when healthy. No room for Powell. And those bashing the coach, ahem, clssylssy, this isn’t a cheap shot. Cutting him now allows him to get in with another team early in camp with a chance to make that team’s final roster(apparently the Eagles) instead of waiting until the end where other rosters are set. I actually think its rather respectful to cut him now. Remember its a business and he didn’t exactly fill up the stat sheet last year. But keep up the futile attacks at Keim and Arians, it’s entertaining

17. By Eazy E on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

William Powell I liked. Seems like a hard worker and ran harder and wasn’t bad on KR to say the least. I hope he catches on with another team, we are just pretty deep at RB with Mendenhall, Ryan Williams, Ellington and Taylor. All probably will make the team despite 5th and 6th round draft selections.

18. By cardsalltheway on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Fantasy says Ryan Williams is better than William Powell. Reality says the opposite. I like to dream to but should we pay someone to keep believing in a dream that is likely not to pan out? Same goes with S. Taylor.

2. Jul 24, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Abraham as a pass rush option
  3. Aug 1, 2013: Irish in the NFL: Arizona Cardinals sign WR Robby Toma | Leprechaun Express: Notre Dame Football Intel Update