Taking the field and Levi

Posted by Darren Urban on July 23, 2013 – 12:55 pm

There was practice today.

The rookies and a handful of vets — mainly the QBs and guys who didn’t get a chance to work a lot this offseason because they were rehabbing — took the field for the hour in the muggy (for Arizona) July sun. It’s different under Bruce Arians, and today was one of those examples. Most of the roster will arrive Thursday for physicals and the run test, but this again gives the rookies a little bit of a head start so they can be better prepared to run with the vets in a few days. (I’ll have a story on the homepage later today.)

One of the veterans out there was left tackle Levi Brown, who wasn’t able to do everything this offseason while he came back from his triceps injury. Mike Jurecki tweeted out that Brown didn’t do as well this offseason as coaches were hoping, and also that the Cards could bring in another tackle. As for the latter point, I wouldn’t be surprised with a roster move. I expect multiple roster moves as Arians and his staff, along with GM Steve Keim, see these guys in pads for the first time and evaluate their abilities that way. Does that mean adding a “name?” (I know I still get questions about veteran tackle Eric Winston, for instance.) I’m not sure about that. The Cards have $10.6 million in cap space. They still have to sign first-round pick Jonathan Cooper and Brown’s contract would be a heavy price for a backup (not to mention the dead money if he were released, which I just don’t see right now).

Multiple times Arians has called Brown “elite” this offseason. There has also been work from second-year tackles Nate Potter and Bobby Massie at left tackle, which Arians said had to do with having linemen as versatile as possible. Arians, however, also would not name any starters at the end of offseason work, and it was tough not to interpret that as leaving the door open to whatever combination he and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin wanted to use. Using that as a guideline, Brown — and the other offensive linemen — have a lot on the line the next few weeks.

LeviRooksUSE

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Taking the field and Levi”

1. By hummer53 on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Wow. BA is right over Levi. Pressure much

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

hummer53 —

RE: Coaches

Harold Goodwin is in the hat. Larry Zierlein is on the right.

3. By Corgon on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Hello Darren,

do you have any news on R. Swope’s health status? Is he arrived as well?

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: Swope

Didn’t see him. Nothing has been announced.

5. By Leesters on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

If he keeps calling him elite, he MUST be planning on playing him on the right side. GREAT right tackle. Not so much on the left. Aren’t there any Mike Gandy’s out there… you know… that are still playing? :P

6. By cardsalltheway on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

“Cards could bring in another tackle”

Could have drafted the versatile OT etc…David Quessenberry(making fast progress for Texans) instead of R. Swope. Biggest and saddest epic fail.

7. By Louisville Card on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

Calling a 6th round pick the biggest and saddest epic fail seems like a stretch don’t you think? I just don’t get you and your post’s always the Debbie downer.

8. By Leeskicitizen on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

One of the highlights of the emergence of the Cardinals as an elite team with the hiring of Steve K., by Mike B. was the decision to create an elite offensive line. Taking into consideration the salary cap mess that needed to be solved as moves were being made, the first phase (the men on the roster) is ready for the first culling process, the 2013 training camp. I feel that this is only the beginning of at least a two year process, and possibly a third year of culling and tweaking.

I admired coach BA for not throwing Levi under the bus when he first came here, and I feel that he and Steve K. have had meaningful talks concerning Levi as an offensive line talent. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already come to the conclusion that Levi would be better suited as a right guard (like Leonard Davis), but I think they are going to be patient and wise and let the training camp and pre season games work out the details of who is best in what position.

I think Levi Brown will be a Cardinal this year, but it might not be as a left tackle. And if he does emerge as an ELITE right guard, I can see the pairing if Levi Brown and Bobbie Massie as a potent force on the right side of the line.

9. By credit card on Jul 23, 2013 | Reply

Levi Brown is a huge question mark. Has not played a meaningful snap in over a year. Prior to that he elevated his game from poor to average. For my money, I would experiment Levi Brown at Right Guard. Potter looks better — played at an average level the second part of last season. Potter is coming in more experienced and he gained weight and muscle. He can at least get to edge rushers, Brown does not have the speed to be effective at left tackle.

While they are at it, experiment with Watford at Center. Potter, Cooper, Watford, Brown, and Massie (left to right) — might be the best set of athletes. Back-ups of Colledge, Sendlien, and __________.

10. By nodavis2000 on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

I think that people forget just how good Levi became for the second half of the 2011 season. He only allowed 1 sack, I repeat, ONE SACK for the last 8 games. That’s the same thing that Massie did last year. I’m not ready to write him off completely yet. I’ll be honest, I don’t know nor recall how good he was in the running game. But the passing protection really improved.

Let’s see what the new coaching staff can do with our O-line before we make judgements on our players. Remember, this staff is centered on teaching the players. It’s not like Whiz’s where they try and force players into a mold.

Go Cards!

11. By cardsalltheway on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

Louisville Card,
    “Calling a 6th round pick the biggest and saddest epic fail seems like a stretch don’t you think?”

No, not when R. Swope will only maybe see the field this year while David Quessenberry will be starting for the Texans and could’ve fit in very nicely with our OL. Here’s to hoping nobody goes down on our OL.

12. By Eazy E on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply