Bruce Arians was happy with the first practice yesterday, but “If you can’t have energy and enthusiasm in the first one, something is wrong.”
“Hopefully,” he added, “we can maintain that level of intensity and enthusiasm in practices eight, nine and 10, after we knock the crap out of each other for a few days.”
That starts Sunday with the first padded practice. The hitting always makes coaches tense up — injuries happen in camp, and they are happening around the league — but it’s necessary. Arians knows this.
“That’s always a day you want to say, ‘Whoa,’ ” Arians said. “It can get real loud, real fast, especially with a big crowd. It’s the part where you cross your fingers, but we have guys who know how to practice.”
Arians was asked if he is the kind of coach who’d use something like the Oklahoma drill. He said no, which isn’t a big surprise. Those days in the NFL are basically in the past.
“We’ll have one-on-ones, pass rush, run block two-on-one,” Arians said. “We won’t do any tackling.” Arians paused. “Oklahoma drill I loved when I was in college.”
– G Daryn Colledge was back Saturday after missing Friday’s work because the birth of his second daughter. He admitted he probably would have missed the birth of Reagan Grace Colledge (8 pounds, 6 ounces if you are scoring at home) if the team was still holding camp in Flagstaff. They had a water birth with a midwife. “My wife’s a champ,” Colledge said.
– Arians reiterated his plan was to use both Tyrann Mathieu and Patrick Peterson as punt returners, sometimes at the same time.
– He doesn’t have as clear of a plan for kickoff return yet.
– Very curious to see how the linebacker corps filters out. Arians has been very complimentary of Reggie Walker. With Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Minter and Jasper Brinkley, that’s a lot of inside ‘backers to keep.
– Meanwhile a practice bubble rises in Tempe:
Tags: Bruce Arians, Daryl Washington, Daryn Colledge, Jasper Brinkley, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Minter, Patrick Peterson, practice bubble, Reggie Walker, Tyrann Mathieu
Posted in Blog | 14 Comments »