Palmer pitching, PP catching, and pads

Posted by Darren Urban on July 28, 2013 – 5:19 pm

The first padded practice of training camp made for some interesting stuff to digest:

– It only happened a couple of times, but quarterback Carson Palmer (and backup Drew Stanton, for that matter), ran the read-option in 11-on-11. Both times Palmer ran it — once to each side — he ended up pitching it to wide receiver Andre Roberts. It doesn’t exactly look like Colin Kaepernick and I’m not sure it’s going to make it all the way into an actual game that counts. But it gives the defense something to think about in a season they will certainly see it (from Kaepernick and others) and it gives other teams at least a slight pause when this seemingly crazy notion gets out there.

– Speaking of offensive twists, there was Patrick Peterson (below) quickly throwing on a white tank top over his red defensive jersey (think a practice jersey in basketball) to jump in on offense at a moment’s notice. His first play was a straight go route down the sideline. The Ryan Lindley bomb was broken up by fellow cornerback Javier Arenas. Peterson shook his head about it after.

“I told Ryan, ‘When number 21 is out there, make him run,’ ” Peterson said. “I don’t want to have to try and turn around and have to catch the ball. I have enough speed I’m pretty comfortable, anywhere you throw the ball, I’m going to go get it.”

Unlike the Palmer option, I do expect such plays for Peterson to be in the playbook. I’m sure Patrick won’t mind.

– Don’t expect the same from Tyrann Mathieu though. Mathieu was asked if he too could be an offensive threat. “I’m not an offensive weapon,” he said. “I’m a defensive guy who looks good with the ball in his hands.”

– The injury list got a little longer for the Cardinals Sunday, in part because they are now hitting. WR Robert Gill (hamstring) and TE Alex Gottlieb (hamstring) were already sitting out. LB Daryl Washington (neck spasm) was sitting out for the first time, and then G Daryn Colledge (lower right leg) and RB Ryan Williams (right leg/knee) came out during practice. Williams, who had ice on his right knee for a while, had discarded the ice by the end of practice and was standing watching his teammates, a good sign it probably isn’t serious. TE Jeff King was also sitting out, possibly a nod to taking it easy early in camp after coming off his own knee rehab.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Palmer pitching, PP catching, and pads”

1. By hummer53 on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Early but so far, I like rookie RB Ellington better than Taylor. Taylor looks lost in pass protection drills. Linebackers just going by him. Ellington looks quicker too. Kind of surprised me after Taylor getting a lot of love.

2. By Cody Zarr on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m assuming Lindley’s pass was short Darren? I’m going to be at practice Tuesday, maybe they’ll let me throw a few? haha :)

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

That first read-option had everyone that was watching in my area, including me, wondering what the Heck had just happened. By the time the second play went the other way most realized that they were not Dreaming, Carson Palmer had just ran two read-option plays. Then the Jokes started.

Saturday is going to be Red an White Practice, that is going to be Fun to watch!

GO CARDS!!!

4. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Just got back from practice. Here is my take on what I saw;

1. Hate the read option with Palmer. Hope that disappears quickly. Out of all the weapons we have on offense, the last thing I want to see is Palmer running.

2. Mike Floyd is a beast. He looks like he is ready to be a dominate player. Roddy White and Julio Jones just met their match.

3. The Running backs; Mendenhal looks explosive and is clearly the best out there. But I really liked Andre Ellington. Great burst. Stephon Taylor seems like a short yardage guy. Has great balance and will break tackles but not very explosive.

4. WRs; Fitz Floyd and Roberts look good. But so do a number of other wrs. Brown and Taylor stood out and little Robby Toma made some plays.

5. I thought 4th rounder Okafer looks good in 1 on 1 drills. He beat Massie and gave him fits. Abraham gave Winston all he could handle. Acho beat Potter a couple times. Not a great day for the tackles.

6. The inside oline played well. Watford looked like an all pro on one play and horrible on the next. But he looks very promising. Fanaika handled Dockett fairly well. Sendlien looks good.

7. Shaughnessy might be listed as a OLB but he looks like he lines up as a wide 7 and goes up field. He is a big guy. Dont see him dropping into coverage much. Last year, the cards would have two down lineman and two OLBs standing up. It is the same alignment except Shaughnessy is a down lineman.

8. Palmer; He seems like he has a lot of work to go. Although he is clearly the best QB on the field, he needs to get better for us to be a playoff team. I am a Palmer fan and I think he will get there. It seems like he is still learning the offense.

5. By georgiebird on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Off subject- but there is a great Q&A with soon to be HOF Bill Parcells in today’s New York Post. Asked to name “Underrated opponents he admired”, Parcells named Roy Green along with three others. Great tribute to Roy who was the best Cardinals player over the past 50 years.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Cody Zarr,

The pass was on the money. Arenas just was step for step with PP.

Fitz had the same thing as Palmer threw a beautiful ball deep and Powers knocked it away from Fitz.

7. By dieselbomb on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

We have access to the Roster, but what we don’t have ( as far as I can see ) is a Roster with Uniform Numbers ( I don’t see names on the practice uniforms ).

Would be great to have if that can be arranged ? Yes? Perhaps?

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Diesel —

RE: Roster

Access to the roster where? On the site? The numbers are there. Is that what you are asking?

9. By stevenanimator on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

We were at the afternoon practice today and as John The Draft Guy stated, Floyd’s catches really stood out. Byrd and #89 (didn’t know who it was) both looked solid. Ryan Lindley, on the other hand, looked terribly inaccurate. He was off more than he was on.

We’ve been watching the Cardinals during the training camp for the past 4 summers now and there was a stark difference between Whiz’s method and Arians. BA’s practice seemed to progress like clock work. Not a whole lot of standing around going on – and the focus was on fundamentals – timing, execution, foot work, technique. One drill he ran, was having the HB’s block a pass rusher, and there was some heaving hitting going on there.

10. By sqhead on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I hope they don’t use Palmer in the read option,because if he gets hurt we are in trouble. I have been to Saturday and Sunday practice and Stanton looked awful in both. Reminds me of how inaccurate Skelton was.

11. By Cactusjeff on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

How does Housler look?

12. By tyman on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Really great job covering training camp by all the AZ cardinal reporters.

love the films

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

CactusJeff —

RE: Housler

He looks has he has for a while. Not bad, but not necessarily eye-popping.

14. By Cody Zarr on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Awesome, I’m excited about the secondary.

2. Jul 28, 2013: Cardinals Camp: Williams sits, Palmer pitches, Peterson plays on O - One is the Loneliest Number
  3. Jul 29, 2013: ShootGap Around the NFC West: First-round review | ShootGap
  4. Jul 29, 2013: Around the NFC West: First-round review | SPORTS RSS NEWSSPORTS RSS NEWS