Dan Williams down and Mathieu’s big day

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2013 – 12:01 pm

The Cardinals featured their first real live tackling of training camp today, and on one of the first plays, a mass of bodies at the line of scrimmage after a run play ended with nose tackle Dan Williams down with some sort of leg injury. No word on what it was, but Williams — after first pounding the ground in apparent anger after it happened and he was still on the ground — eventually got up and walked under his own power. He was carted to the locker room, but he later walked on his own to the buses waiting to take the team back to University of Phoenix Stadium.

Williams had been doing well in camp and his weight was under control. It’s a big year for him, so it will be interesting to see if this is anything serious.

“Dan is a tough dude,” defensive lineman David Carter said. “You won’t know what it is until you see the X-rays and MRIs and stuff like that, but Dan is tough.”

UPDATE: Williams had his left knee rolled up on during the play. He is undergoing tests this afternoon to determine if there was any damage and if so, the extent of it. Looking at my photos, it looks like it was defensive linemate Darnell Dockett, making a play on ballcarrier Stepfan Taylor, who inadvertently ended up on Williams’ left knee as the play developed.

– Carter has been working most at nose tackle himself, the spot he likes to play more because he feels his quickness helps.

“Nose is what I played the last couple of years so I’m ready for it,” Carter said. “It gives me an opportunity to use my speed. I’m a natural nose tackle.”

– Rookie safety Tyrann Mathieu had his best outing of camp, making a pair of interceptions (no, neither was thrown by Carson Palmer) and a few pass breakups.

“Definitely,” Mathieu said when asked if it was his best practice thus far. “Anytime you get turnovers, put your offense in position to score, it usually turns into a win. … The game is slowing down. It’s still a little fast when I line up against Larry (Fitzgerald), the game is fast all of a sudden. But any other time the game slows for me.”

– LB Karlos Dansby ended up sitting out the practice. He was the only new player sidelined.

– The Cardinals, in a warm and (for Arizona) humid day, practiced a little less than two hours outside.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Dan Williams down and Mathieu’s big day”

1. By lg on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Is karlos dansby alright ?

2. By Alan on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Hope big daddy Williams is back soon…

3. By Eric G on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Hmm, Honey Badger #32 jersey close to being on order.

4. By Iain on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Do you know if Robert Gill is back at practice after hurting his hamstring? or is he still out?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Lain –

RE: Gill

He is still sidelined.

6. By clssylssy on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Wow! Tyrann Mathieu is looking REAL good and FAST:) He and Peterson are the two best draftees since Fitz…sure glad the Cards were willing to take the risk.

7. By Scott H on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

This kid is exciting. As is the thought of he and Peterson in the defensive backfield together. Could be a great duo for years to come.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Best quote of the year so far

9. By Cody Zarr on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

After going to a few practices I am super excited for football this year.. Not that I’m not chomping at the bit every year, but everyone looks so good out there. Palmer is throwing well, the running backs look good, defense looks good.

John,
    Its funny you mention that, at camp on Tuesday he lined up against Fitz and Fitz just rolled one arm over the top of him gave him a little bump, sent him in one direction and took off in another. Fitz proceeded to find a hole between 32 and the safety, sat down and made a big gain catch.

Other than that, he has looked very good for a rookie. I’m really glad we have one of the best WR in the league for these guys to learn from.

Have I mentioned how excited I am about football?

10. By infitzwetrust on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

I hope O’Brien does NOT get any sacks on us. Not one.

11. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Just wondering if there will be any article coming out in reference to the other QB’s and how they are fairing. Palmer’s a pro and vet. All he has to do is get a good grip on the offense and develop Chemistry. But what about the other guys, how are they coming along. If Palmer breaks a finger nail and decides to sit out, who steps in just in case. Would love to get more info on that. I like the idea that we have a seasoned veteran at QB but with the O-Line that we have had in recent years always makes me wonder who is next at QB.

Down with the Niners and Seahawks. Look out for the Rams. I know, I know. One game at a time. I’m ready for some football !!!!!

12. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

On Mathieu, great job. Now work on consistency and maybe wrapping up on the tackle.

13. By clssylssy on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Heard that Patrick Peterson broke his hand in practice but this either was a)unfounded speculation or b) being kept on the QT? Sure would hate to see Peterson slowed before he got off the block and was wondering a) any truth to this and b) if this occurred, how bad is the break and how will this impact his playing at various positions. I’ve seen players play with broken hands and never miss a beat because of the use of speical casts?

14. By Eric G on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Arizona Cardinals have the toughest cheerleaders, just ask the boyfriend of Megan Welter

15. By ored on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

patrick willis broke a bone in his hand. memo to d-line,give more room to DD,last year was o’by’s ankle now williams knee and ankle,DD needs space to do damage to the other team not our players.

16. By Eazy E on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Dockett plays so hard but he almost OB’d Big Dan.