The Cardinals just got off the bus here in Tempe — they still had meetings and changed out in the locker room at University of Phoenix Stadium before coming to the facility to practice — and Bruce Arians met with the media before practice, so they can all hope on the bus and leave quickly when today’s outdoor practice is over. Some news and notes:
– Eric Winston’s ascension to the first-unit offensive line is just a start, Arians said. “We’re going to mix and match,” Arians said, noting that the line battles remain close and he wants to see how all of them work with starting QB Carson Palmer. Nevertheless, Arians added the Cards would like to settle on their starting offensive line in “seven or eight days” — which dovetails nicely with the Cardinals’ first preseason game in Green Bay in eight days.
– That said, Arians stressed, he wants to continue to build offensive line depth. That, in fact, is a bigger concern that the starting five, Arians said.
– Arians said C Lyle Sendlein has had a “fantastic camp” thus far. Important to note since center is the one spot that doesn’t seem to have any kind of intense competition.
– The coach said fourth-round pick G Earl Watford, who has been running third-string is getting better and the last couple of practices “have been a nice move for him.” He is cutting down on his mental errors. “When he gets his hands on you it’s over,” Arians said. “He’s just got to figure out who to get his hands on.” Watford’s development is key — you figure a fourth-rounder will be on the roster, but he’s got to be able to play if needed.
– Nothing new injury-wise, Arians said. RB Ryan Williams (knee) remains out one more day. G Daryn Colledge (calf) is “hopefully” a week away from practicing. It’ll be interesting to see if he can return for the preseason opener in Green Bay, although I don’t think the Cards will push it.
– The Red-White practice Saturday will be a normal practice, Arians said.
– There are officials at practice. Arians said he wants to have them a couple of times a week, at least with college officials.
Tags: Daryn Colledge, Earl Watford, Eric Winston, Lyle Sendlein, offensive line, Ryan Williams, training camp
Posted in Blog | 4 Comments »