Fitz’s key call to Hall of Famer Carter

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2013 – 11:25 am

Larry Fitzgerald has a close relationship with newly minted Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, dating back to Fitz’s days as a Vikings ballboy while Carter was a star in Minnesota. Carter sees Fitz, despite their age difference, as a friend. So this summer, before Fitz held his annual camp in Minnesota, he called on his friend Carter — a story Carter relayed to Fitz’s father, Larry Fitzgerald, Sr., on the GameDay Gold radio show.

“Larry knocked at my door, 1:30 in the morning, he said, ‘(Last season) was the worst season of my life. I need you to come to Minnesota for five days,’ ” said Carter (below interviewing Fitz for ESPN). “I said, ‘Larry, I don’t have five days. I’ve got to be in L.A. next week. I’ve got the camp one day.’ He said, ‘I need you. I need you to look at my game and make sure because I’ve got to have a good season.’ “

On that point, Fitzgerald — who can be argued had his worst season in Arizona in large part because of quarterback play but also because his own play slipped some — is right. He had 71 catches, 798 yards, a career-low four touchdowns and tons of frustration.

Fitz left Carter’s house an hour later. Carter’s wife said to Carter, “You can’t make this stuff up, you’ve gotta go. You don’t have a choice. You think you have a choice but you don’t.”

“We’re connected in a very, very special way,” Carter said of his relationship with the Cardinals’ Pro Bowl wideout. “He called, I’m here. I’m here to give him a start to be better. I believe his confidence is going to come back being associated with (QB) Carson (Palmer). His weight is way down, he’s at fighting weight. Right now it’s more mental. You get to the point where you can accomplish physical things, but what he went through last year and how to get over that hump, it’s all mental.

“I am expecting a huge year from Larry. A lot of that has to do with Carson Palmer but a lot has to do with the trial he went through last year. I think that will propel him over the next five, six years.”

CarterFitzBlog

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Fitz’s key call to Hall of Famer Carter”

1. By Chuck 1 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

That’s what good friends (like Cris Carter) do. They come to the help of a friend.

2. By beardinals on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Carter may be a HOFer on the field, but stories of him being a less than stellar personality of of it are rampant.

Glad to see Fitz didn’t follow that lead.

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Thank You, Cris Carter, for being there, no matter what.

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Chuck 1 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

KEVIN KOLB LEAVES PRACTICE AFTER SLIPPING ON A MAT.

“…..It doesn’t sound serious, but Kolb’s in no position to miss time. The former Eagles and Cardinals passer opened camp taking the majority of reps with the starters, but accuracy issues and shoddy pocket presence have EJ Manuel closing in……”

It was a good decision for Keim and BA to let Kolb go.

5. By chris on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

ha damn 1:30 in the morning lol fitz why not just call him during the day

6. By gpjp94 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Go FITZ!!! And nice comment /\ but unrelated to this post.

7. By Cardsalltheway on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Bringing Kolb in at the price they did with the little experience he had is reason # 1 Fitz had less than a stellar season(s). The all-round handliing of QB’s didn’t help either.

8. By Eazy E on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Fitz, the front office, coaches, etc. failed you. None of that mess was your fault. Anybody saying your play slipped a bit is a fool.

9. By Dynosoar on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Green Bay game will be rebroadcast on NFL network Friday night at 11:00 (at least it’s 11:00 here in Utah) Enjoy.

10. By infitzwetrust on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

fitz is better than chris carter, and will also be a FIRST-ballot hall of famer. Just sayin….

11. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Having the sense that I have of what kind of guy / player Fitx is, I’d say his individual numbers were not nearly as frustrating as the utter collapse of the team around him and the lack of TEAM success. And this concerns me greatly. Because I don’t think Fitz will tolerate this much longer. And why should he? He is capable of being THE best WR in the league and helping drive a team to a SB, just as he did in 2008. I think there’s no way you come THAT close to reaching the top of that mountain, come up short, and then just go back to 5-11 seasons ( or worse ) and playing for a team that is irrelevant by mid-season.

Even if Carson Palmer helps Fitz become “fantasy-relevant” again this year, there will be no subsiding in his frustration if the team and the season are another lost cause.

Hate to say it but if we remain dead in the water at the QB position, Fitz will most likely have to take the Aeneas Williams route to winning a SB, which is to say he will have to go somewhere else to do it.

This off-season, he reached out to Cris Carter. Next off-season, I hope he is not reaching out to his agent to reach out to other teams for trade.