Another Tyrann pick and practice notes

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2013 – 5:23 pm

The Cardinals were running deep red-zone offense — passing situations around and inside the 10 — at one point in Monday’s practice when safety Tyrann Matheiu got a hand up to deflect a pass near the goal line, hitting it straight up in the air and tipping it to himself for an interception. I know this has been said before, but the kid just is always in the mix when the ball is around. Could an opponent burn him for his aggressiveness? Maybe. But if he’s on the field, he’s going to create his share of turnovers. It’s hard to see otherwise.

Other tidbits from the afternoon:

– RB Ryan Williams, dealing with the knee irritation that has been keeping him out of practice, basically ruled himself out of the Green Bay game Friday. It’s disappointing to him on multiple levels, since it was a preseason game in Green Bay in 2011 when he tore his patella tendon and suffered the first of a few NFL injuries. “They started this whole thing, man,” Williams said. “I was really hoping to get over this hump in the sense of playing on that field where it all started, but you know, I’m not able to. So I can’t think too much about it. It is what it is. I’ll be there for the Cowboys, though.”

– Ever since Bruce Arians mentioned that his defense wasn’t getting its collective hands on the ball enough, they have. LB Daryl Washington, CB Justin Bethel and CB Javier Arenas also made picks. (That isn’t to say there weren’t a couple of nice pass hookups too. Charles Hawkins had a couple of downfield plays I recall.)

– G Daryn Colledge isn’t back at practice, but he was able to move around well enough to do the some of the snapping for the 7-on-7 drills. He doesn’t look too far away from returning.

– The tight end group was helped when both Jeff King and Alex Gottlieb returned to work. WR Kerry Taylor is out with some sort of leg/hamstring injury.

– DT Ricky Lumpkin went down after a play and took a few moments to get up. They brought the cart out but Lumpkin later was able to get off the field himself, with a limp, with the aid of head athletic trainer Tom Reed. Lumpkin was trying to walk it off on the sideline. It’s been a tough run for the defensive line and injuries over the past week or so.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Another Tyrann pick and practice notes”

1. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

TE should be interesting since we don’t know half of these guys. But we need, what 4 or 5?

Re OG,we know this staff will cut those who repeat mental errors, but my bet is Earl Watford has zero chance of being cut. What a great athlete. If Fanaika is really good, if Kelemete really is ahead of Watford, is Colledge at risk? My guess is the wheels are churning in Keim’s mind… which beg’s the question:

Darren: Does Arians made the call on the final 53, or is it a joint decision with Keim??

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Final 53

They will discuss together. But Keim has final say.

3. By NYCardinals on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren

I saw #62 in one of the highlight videos, but the roster has both Joe Caprioglio and Jamaal Johnson-Webb listed as #60 — no #62.

4. By Cards4ever on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Man, I’m excited about Tyrann Matheiu! Imagine Abraham, DD and CC attacking the QB and if he does get the ball off we have The Honey Badger and PP back there to snatch it away!

Ryan Williams needs to see a shrink or something. It seems he mentally can’t get past his knee injury. and it can possibly get him cut. he went from a darling to a dud. That being said, i hope he has a huge game against Dallas!

5. By tbru on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Camp interceptions, is that good for the defense, or bad for the offense?

6. By Eazy E on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Alfonso looks like he’s almost flying in the video, he is fast though. Hawkins made some really nice plays too.

7. By Chris B on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

It’s surprising me how little we hear about Kevin Minter. I am not one who usually likes to ask how guys look in camp because, as Arians said, sometimes it’s a lot of lightening but no tornado.
    So let me phrase the question a bit differently; Has Mathieu stood out so much that he overshadows Minter or has Minter just been a guy in camp?

I went back a reread some of the articles on Washington his first year. Do you remember his first game (preseason)? I do:

Despite being excited about Mathieu, I hope Minter shows up like Washington did. Having Washington, Dansby, and a surprisingly good (hopefully) Minter out there all at the same time is pretty exciting.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals —

RE: 62

That’s my fault. Webb is 62.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

tbru —

RE: Camp INTs

I guess it’s about perspective. Without having the video and knowing what is going on, it’s hard to know. I know one of Mathieu’s picks on his two INT day in Tempe was in part because Charles Hawkins failed to finish is route. Again, that’s why you have to be careful about jumping blame.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: Minter

I think Minter is having a solid camp. I also think Mathieu overshadows both because of his play, his flashy play and who he is.

Plus the Cards are much deeper at ILB than S.

11. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Wow. Good intel Darren. Keim really IS the man. So Depth chart, presumably made by coaches, not “the” guide to final roster. Hmmn.

Darren: You’ve been here what 15 years? Ever seen a Cards team with combined, deeper OL and DL/LB? And both more athletic as groups than I can remember, since day 1. You?

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Roster

It has promise. Better than it was. But we’ll see how that translates in games.

13. By ored on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

as long as they wiin there will be enough glory for everyone,even with great indivual play,it’s still a team effort.