• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Stanton more than just a backup

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2013 – 10:04 am

Drew Stanton spent last season working with Bruce Arians and his offense in Indianapolis, so he’s been ahead of the curve when it comes to learning the playbook. Arians also likes how Stanton (below with assistant head coach Tom Moore) has been able to help out starter Carson Palmer, with the coach noting he has long used a reserve quarterback as a coaching aid. Charlie Batch, the long-time third-stringer in Pittsburgh, was that guy for Arians when he was with the Steelers.

“Sometimes as a coach you can tell a guy over and over and over,” Arians said. “But when a player tells him, they get it. I saw that with Charlie Batch and Ben (Roethlisberger). Whenever I wanted Ben to get something, I said, ‘Charlie, tell him to do this.’ I’d always cuss Charlie out for Ben. So Drew, he’s used to it too.”

Stanton laughed when told Arians might have him absorb some of the coach’s wrath for another player’s sake. Sometimes, that’s the role you play.

“I think it starts with BA wearing a lot of different hats and he has a lot of different responsibilities on his plate,” Stanton said. “But I think being in the system last year, I kind of already know what he wants, what he expects out of certain things. Especially me being out there and being able to still see it, I can see it through Carson’s eyes. So when we talk we’re speaking the same language as well. If I can relate one thing, flip one thing and relate it to a different protection or something, I think it allows (Carson) to digest it easier.”

Stanton could have a lot riding on him this season. Not only is he helping decipher the offense, he might be the only thing between the Cardinals and Patrick Peterson at quarterback should Palmer get hurt if Arians goes with only two QBs.

StantonTalk1USE

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Stanton more than just a backup”

1. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

That picture of Moore talking to Stanton.

How many times have we seen the same picture, same folded up papers in the back pocket, but it was Payton Manning and Tom Moore.

Never in my Wildest Football Dreams would I have Ever thought that I would EVER see Tom Moore in Arizona Cardinal red Teaching our QB’s!!!

Nu’ff Said.

GO CARDS!!!

2. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Even a blindman could see this coming…wonder if Palmer’s had his vision checked lately! Peterson could run the read option and is a better athlete than either Palmer or Stanton so he could be the Kaepernick of the 2013 season. I like Stanton a lot and while Peterson on offense certainly opens up a lot of possible scenarios, I’ll be REALLY angry if he gets hurt being USED in a totally foreign situation and is out for the season. At least things in Cardinal land are getting dicey! Good luck Cards against the Pack…at least it’s preseason and we probably won’t have to go against Clay Matthews and the starters:)

3. By cardsalltheway on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

“Blocking”

Arians said something like…”It don’t matter at the OT position because they’re all doing well and there is little difference between them.”

Why doesn’t someone ask a follow up Q.?

Like…”What if everyone(all 4 OT’s) stays healthy at OT?…Will the person(s) you see slightly behind another sit on the bench the entire season or will you try the OT at OG???

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Hard not to be stoked. Notice how low key Darren is playing it? He’s so stoked he can’t stand it, either! Lol. Haha. Btw, PP as QB would be pretty dang exciting … mind runs wild with that one. Like Russell Wilson on roids…

5. By luke on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

I saw Moore drive by on a gold cart after practice,we both locked eyes,it was damn epic.

6. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Perhaps I’m having difficulty moving on from the stubborness that I came to associate with Whisenhunt – especially when it came to the QB position ( the name Derek Anderson comes to mind ) – but I sincerely hope that Arians will not hesitate to see what Stanton can do if it reaches a point where Carson Palmer just isn’t getting us anywhere. And I say that because I really think Stanton has something to offer. AND I think we will see him play before this season is over.

7. By truths4all on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

I bet Wilson or Kaepernick gets nicked up and sidelined well before PP ever does. I also bet the fans’ who are smitten with the read-run offense find it is not so productive this season, now that defensive coordinators everywhere have had time during the off-season to consult college coaches and analyze how best to contain this temporary anomaly.

As for PP being an every down QB, what makes anyone out there think PP can suddenly step in and make any of the reads a QB has to make in a NFL game?

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Truths (and everyone) –

RE: PP at QB

Please tell me everyone understood my Peterson-at-QB line was a joke.

9. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2013 | Reply

truths4all -

I don’t share your confidence that these spread offenses will come back to earth this year because defenses have had a chance to catch up with them. When I think of these spread offenses, I think of 3 teams – Seattle, San Fran. and Washington. Two of these teams – Seattle and San Fran – have among the best O-lines AND two of the best RB’s in the NFL. That alone is not so easy to defend. ALL THREE teams have QB’s who can kill you in a variety of ways and TWO of those – RG3 and Keapernick – are close to world class ahteletes. Did ya see the TD run Kaepernick had against Green Bay in the playoffs where he just flat out-ran everyone on the field, leaving a vaopr trail behind him? That’s not so easy to defend, either. And Washington also has a REAL play-maker at RB in Alfred Morris. When you put it ALL on the field, it can overwhelm a defense because there end up being more play-makers than the defense can cover. THAT is why this offense was working for these teams last year and I see no reason why it will not continue. Last I checked, the NFL was not allowing defenses to put more guys on the field.

10. By Eazy E on Aug 9, 2013 | Reply

If Stanton is playing, we’re in trouble. Hell, we’re in trouble at QB anyway until I see otherwise.

11. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2013 | Reply

eazy e -

Like yourself ( sometimes ), I hope for the best but fear the worst. I expect that Carson Palmer will put up the same kind of numbers here that he did in Oakland last year. he’s good enough to do that. Is he good enough to help this team win enough games to be a factor? No, I don’t think he is. Let’s be real about it and realize that Palmer hasn’t been special in years. And even at his best, he would NOT be among the top echelon of QB’s in the leagus right now.