Honey Badger, hair issues and otherwise

Posted by Darren Urban on August 11, 2013 – 12:45 pm

Tyrann Mathieu had a very good game Friday. Yet it was hard not to notice his hair issues over the last couple of days. Mathieu has a shaved head and is without a left eyebrowBadger1FRONTuse after rookie hazing. Clearly, it’s the missing eyebrow that weighs on him the most.

“Long story short, couple veterans took advantage of me,” Mathieu said. “Long story short.

“The deal going into it they would leave the mohawk. But once I sat down, the rules were out the window.”

Gone is the blond-colored hairdo Mathieu had in camp. That will eventually come back, he said. He really, really wants his eyebrow back though.

“I tried to disguise it,” he said. “I tried to wear a band-aid over my eyebrow, that doesn’t work. Tried to wear a hat low, can’t see where I’m going. Hopefully in the next week, my eyebrow comes back and I can be myself again.”

No one is paying too close of attention to his hair — or won’t — if he keeps playing the way he did in the preseason opener. His stat line was impressive.

“He was all over the field,” coach Bruce Arians said. “That’s the way he’s been practicing every day.”

Mathieu said his ultimate goal is the be the best player on the team. That’s the motivation. He’s getting a lot of hype right now, perhaps more than he should at this point. But it’s inevitable, given both his play and his story coming into this whole thing. Whatever Mathieu does, good or bad, will be a story. The Honey Badger isn’t going away.

“The expectations can never amount to mine,” Mathieu said. “I want to play a big role. Everybody always has something to say, whether it’s good or bad. I just leave it at that and do what I do best, which is play football.”

A reporter mentioned that people always want to say that “pound-for-pound” Mathieu is one of the most talented players out there. “I’ve never understood that,” Mathieu said. “What does that mean? That I’m the smallest guy? I guess it works for now.” That drew a chuckle from everyone — even Mathieu.

But the laughing fades when talking about the missing eyebrow. These are the issues Mathieu has to deal with.

“(The hair) will come back eventually,” Mathieu said. “I gotta wait for my eyebrow to come back first. It’s tough right now.”

– G Daryn Colledge (leg) was dressed out today but did not practice. The rest of the didn’t-practice list: TE Kory Sperry (ankle), TE Jeff King (knee), S Jonathon Amaya (knee), LB Alex Okafor (ankle), LB Karlos Dansby (hamstring), RB Ryan Williams (knee), RB Andre Ellington (neck), DT Ricky Lumpkin (ankle), DT Dan Williams (ankle) along with PUP list inhabitant LB Dan Giordano (toe).

Ty1Use

Tags:

32 Responses to “Honey Badger, hair issues and otherwise”

1. By ored on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

docket needs to be proving himself and bringing down the other team,always liked his play,but last few years it’s been more about publicity,injuring our own players and now going overboard with the hazing,DD do you not realize when something that is done lasts for more than just the moment,it’s not funny anymore,you need to start bringing it on the field and leave the immature stuff be,you’re a grown man,act the part.

2. By EricB on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Can you give us an idea of when there will be another Cardinals Underground podcast or video? Really enjoy those and have been looking forward to catching the next installment.

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Dude you need to cut the other one so it will all grow back at the same time.
    Ya I know you’ll look like a young Uncle Fester (Addams Family) for a while, but that is life as a Rookie in the NFL, it will all grow back.

Buy the way, “One Heck of a Game Friday Night!!!” Way to show the ‘Old’ guys, who think they are Barbers, how You play the Game!

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Sean44 on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Dockett wont be laughing when Mathieu has more sacks than he does.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Eric B —

RE: Undergrounds

At the earliest they will be post-camp.

6. By Dynosoar on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S,

just read your consistent part a few posts ago, I can’t stop laughing. Thanks.

Also regarding the salivating comment of mine, when I worte it I was thinking of Pavlov, does that ring a bell?

So, if we do go 23-0 do you wanna open a ski resort in a really hot place with me.

7. By shannon robinson on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

This team has given us an excellent entry to their locker room. The tweets, open interviews, and straight forward answers by every team member is electrifying. I feel like I know this team like some of the teams I’ve coached. With honesty and daylight come some revelations that might be unexpected. Did the hazing go too far – probably, but hazing always does. These are Lord of the Fly moments and as a rugby coach for twenty years I’ve seen a lot of hazing extremes. The worrisome thing here is that he’s upset to the point of making an issue out of whatever negotiations he thought he was in – well that’s out the window. If Tyrann gets too far into Me, first and I’m the center of the universe, then it’s a step back. I’ll say this, I liked the two yard punt return almost as much as the 24 yard run – but then I saw how low he got running the ball and still kept accellerating – wow! His coverage was good too. He can decide to get involved and execute in an instant, like the tackle to knock the ball from Williams. However I finally have to choose for his best play the shoestring sack, I especially liked the second gear when he had Harrell trapped. If you’re little or small like I am, then you make up for it in attitude. Coaching a guy like Tyrann Mathieu is a challenge because you need discipline when it counts but you have to tolerate plenty of swagger even when it’s sometimes hard to take. This kid is special.

8. By Farm on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Why is there such a massive lack of post game video. No player interviews, no nothing. Throw us some chum, we’re starving!!

9. By steve Armstrong on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

This kid is the next big thing to happen to the cardinals since kurt warner. He looks like the rapper TI lol

10. By Tim on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think they went overboard. It’s hair for Gods sake. It grows back. There have been far worse things done as rookie hazing. Honey Badger should feel lucky he didn’t get left with a $25k dinner tab or something.

As for Dockett, he’s a solid defender. But it says something that John Abraham had more sacks than Dockett & Campbell combined last year. Hopefully with Abraham in the line up it will fire the other guys up to step up their game. This team has a TON of potential.

11. By davetaft on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Why glorify hazing and bullying? It sends a bad message to young fans. Seriously, is that what the Cardinals and the NFL want?

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Farm —

RE: Videos

I count Campbell, Palmer, Arians plus Arians postgame in the locker room. Plus a bunch of highlights. Not sure how that’s nothing.

13. By sbrown on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Congrats on a fine start with the Cards at Green Bay, can’t wait to give you a huge RED SEA welcome to UoP this Saturday. It’s OK to intercept Romo early and often ! Go Cards

14. By martin leyva on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

derran/farm

you do a good job derran! you even answer our question’s, thanks for that man! he must not know about your blog, you always have things posted.

15. By Eazy E on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

They going to far with the hazing crap. I don’t like hazing anyway because it takes the focus imo off of football and improving as a team. Case in point, the Dallas Cowboys who we face next. Roy left his pads for Dez to carry and Dez denied and that caused a little skirmish not physically but could have been and where is Roy now?? Retired and Dez is one of the best WRs in the league. I was happy he did that because winning games should be your only goal, not playing around. I’m all for having fun, but Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 says among many things, ”their is a time and place for everything”. I mean you cut the man’s eyebrow off and shaves his head, too damn far bruh. Whoever did that crap should get their butts fined. He balling, what y’all doing!? Let him keep the Mohawk blond or black and the left eyebrow and let him play the game he loves and that goes for any of the other rooks too.

16. By Brett n Co. on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Tim —

Absolutely agree with you it’s just hair, let them have fun and relax a little!

17. By Rich on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

We need another running back. Williams is a nice guy but he has to go, can’t stay healthy. Still not sure why everybody thinks Smith is good. Mendenhall, Taylor, Ellingon and one more good back is what we need.

18. By Rich on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Hear anything about us making a pro-active move to upgrade depth at tight end?

19. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Why didnt they touch Coopers hair?

Is it a defensive thing?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Rich —

RE: TE

They added Mickey Shuler a couple weeks ago. I’m sure they will still be looking.

21. By jmh1982 on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

@John The Draft Guy

It wasn’t defense only, but it probably has to do with the fact that Cooper has those long dreads. All the other guys had short hair that will grow back in a few weeks or so. Coopers hair would take years to grow back.

22. By jmh1982 on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

@John The Drat Guy

No it wasn’t only defensive players. I’m guessing it’s because Cooper has those long dreads and that would just be plain cruel. The other guys will have their hair back in a month or two, but it would take Cooper years to grow that back. Not to mention I’m pretty sure Cooper wouldn’t allow that to happen even if the guys wanted to do it.

It’s important to mention that these guys weren’t exactly held down and forced to get their hair cut. They more or less did it willingly, but likely didn’t want to feel like an outcast by being the only one to refuse. I’m sure their were at least a couple that refused and thus that’s why it was only like 6-7 rookies that got haircuts.

23. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Darren- What was the reason RB-Powell was cut? It seems like they could use him now. Did anyone pick him up?

I was watching the game on the NFL Network, it was refreshing to see Palmer and Stanton complete passes. Both seemed very competent when compared to the last few years QB debactle. A big plus to the revamoed OL for their play. Both the QB and OL seem improved over last year.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Powell

They felt they didn’t need him. And Arians said today the Cards weren’t looking to add a back.

25. By clssylssy on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Thought the QBs and O-line looked much improved. O-line offered good protection but were still not opening up lanes for the RBs. Could REALLY use a top notch TE as ours either aren’t healthy or lack speed and energy. Stefan Taylor was pretty impressive and I think put up more yards that any RB in years. I love that we are trying to develop the run game but what we seemed to have accomplished on offense, we appeared to have lost on defense and special teams. After having an explosive defensse last year we didn’t seem to be getting after it which could be chalked up to preseason or boredom? Historically, the Cards have done best when playing as the underdogs and I hope this early win over the Pack (who seemed to be playing at half speed to avoid injuries) doesn’t have a negative effect on our motivation for improving. Stanton’s mobility and ability to strech the play, was great ,thought he and Palmer looked a lot alike in many ways. Will be interesting to see how we do going against a 4-3 defense. This week certainly was full of surprises from a number of teams; looking forward to seeing what’s next!

26. By ored on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

done is done,you’re right that hair grows back,now back to playing,my 1st thought was tyrann was too small,guess he proves “it’s the size of the heart”i’m thinking we’re pretty choosy about RBs because we expect them to block also,too many backs wanna be like peterson running the rock.there’ll probably be enoufg backs to choose from after cuts if we decideto go that way.

larry is constantly proving to be the consumate pro and team player,if he can help jefferson,we should be ok at TE.biggest concerns imo are run blocking and finding the magic secondary set.

27. By Dan on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Somebody needs to shave Docketts eyebrows, maybe that will make him see better and get to the QB or make plays.

28. By William Kilgore on Sep 16, 2013 | Reply

I saw Tyrann at LSU and he is the most fun to watch of all the DBs in the game. The guy plays his heart out. I am and will always be in his corner.

2. Aug 11, 2013: nfl.hoops227.co » Tyrann Mathieu ‘all over the field,’ Bruce Arians says
  3. Aug 11, 2013: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Tyrann Mathieu ‘all over the field,’ Bruce Arians says
  4. Aug 13, 2013: Tyrann Mathieu's draws a preseason start for Arizona Cardinals | Audibles - SI.com
  5. Aug 13, 2013: Tyrann Mathieu ‘all over the field,’ Bruce Arians says | NFL Reporter