A close battle among the corners

Posted by Darren Urban on August 13, 2013 – 5:09 pm

Coach Bruce Arians said he thought cornerback was among the closest battles on the roster and that’s not surprising. The depth of experience there is better than the Cardinals have had in a few seasons. Assuming everyone stays healthy — and Javier Arenas left practice early Tuesday with some sort of injury — it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Jamell Fleming finally got back on the field after dealing with a hamstring problem. Justin Bethel is too valuable of a special teamer to let go, but he’s still learning the cornerback position. Patrick Peterson and Jerraud Powers are locks. I’d think vet Antoine Cason is too, especially with Cason running as cornerback in nickel when Powers slides inside. One interesting name this week was Bryan McCann, who was singled out by Arians as having a good camp. If McCann really is in the mix, there are a ton of decisions that have to be made.

– And again, I’d expect a possible trade at the end of the preseason for guys they don’t want to keep here, a la A.J. Jefferson last season. At least get an extra 6th- or 7th-round pick.

– Because the Cards are off tomorrow, I don’t expect an Arenas injury update until Thursday.

– Among Tuesday’s highlights: WR Robby Toma made a beautiful one-handed catch on the sideline to beat Tyrann Mathieu. Cason, covering “wide receiver” Peterson, made an interception as Peterson went down and Cason basically had to climb over Peterson’s prone body to grab the ball. (Those two are both in the highlight package below.) And Peterson finished the session by slicing in front of WR Kerry Taylor during the final two-minute drill against the second-unit offense, sticking out his hand and having the ball stick there like it was flypaper for the drive-killing interception.

– Sitting out Tuesday was S Jonathon Amaya (knee), S Rashad Johnson (knee/ankle), RB Ryan Williams (knee), TE Jeff King (knee), TE Kory Sperry (ankle), DE Frostee Rucker (undisclosed), LB Karlos Dansby (hamstring), DT Ricky Lumpkin (ankle), DT Dan Williams (ankle) and LB Dan Giordano (PUP – toe.). RB Andre Ellington returned to practice limited.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “A close battle among the corners”

1. By Steve in CT on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren, Is there any concern with Dansby’s injury? He’s been nursing that hammy for a couple weeks now.

2. By jason on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Cut CASON please. He has not looked good in practice or in game. I have watched him every day at practice and he does not hustle or make plays. He is weighing us down. That is my opinion. Plus he is a Wildcat…lol ASU!!! I watched Taylor (18) beat him like 5 times today in practice. It was Awesome!

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Steve in CT —

RE: Dansby

No I don’t think so.

4. By jasonc on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

I have to put a ‘c’ on the end of my name now so people don’t confuse me and the other jason.

5. By shannon robinson on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

I listened to the Cards radio broadcast and I want to say how much I enjoyed Bertrand Berry’s comments and analysis of the game. He’s very articulate and he’s a matter of fact guy who’s very funny as well. His time running the Rage really helped him develop as a talented broadcaster. I give him two wings up!

6. By ored on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

makes for a reason to play the rookies,we already know what Dansby does and will be 1st team so makes sense to rest the nagging bumps and bruises to see what the young’ns bring.

will be real interesting to see tyrann this week,Dallas should be a good test all around,but then again i thought packers would be also.

7. By lg on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

i just seen on the video Antoine Carson making a great int. he don’t need to be cut lets just let the coaches deal with who need to be cut.

8. By martin leyva on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey Derran

If Ryan William dosnt get back by next week do YOU think they will cut him and bring someone else in? hes missed valuable practices and games

9. By Chris on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren, you said an extra 6th runner. Wouldn´t it be the only 6th rounder (Palmer Trade) -> if they get a late 6th rounder through trade, could they send that one to Oakland instead of an earlier one?

10. By Chris on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

It´s a little bit late, but Darren whats actually the situation on Cribbs? After Swope went on IR would have made great sense to get him back to another workout. Or has he already signed somewhere else?

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Martin —

RE: Williams

No, I don’t think he’d be cut next week.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Trade

I meant just an extra pick that would happen to be in the 6th or 7th round, not necessarily a second 6th round pick.

And no, the parameters of the Palmer trade are already set, I believe.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Cribbs

The Cards moved on from Cribbs the moment they drafted Mathieu.

And Cribbs signed with the Raiders in May.

14. By Lamarr on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren I have not hear much about David Carter. How was his camp and how is he doing 2 weeks into preseason

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

Lamarr —

RE: Carter

He’s doing well, starting in place of the injured Dan Williams. He’ll be around.