A Mathieu start and Washington’s plea

Posted by Darren Urban on August 13, 2013 – 12:04 pm

Starting free safety Rashad Johnson suffered a “mild” MCL sprain and ankle sprain breaking up a pass at the end of Monday’s practice and is day-to-day. He probably isn’t going to be available to play Saturday against Dallas, so that means rookie Tyrann Mathieu will get the start in his place when the Cowboys visit. More on that on the homepage in a bit, but Mathieu is looking forward to it.

“It just gives me an opportunity to go help my team,” Mathieu said. “Of course I wish Rashad a speedy recovery because he was one of those guys who showed me the ropes from a safety standpoint. But it gives me the opportunity to go out there and be there for my teammates.”

– Also, linebacker Daryl Washington indeed was/is in New York to talk to the league about his suspension. He is on his way back now. The hope was that whatever talking Washington does could possibly lead to a shortening of his four-game suspension. “Whether or not anything comes of it, we’ll see,” coach Bruce Arians said.

Arians praised Washington’s work in training camp though, noting a recent one-handed interception. Arians had previously talked about how important the preseason was for Washington, since he will not only miss games but a month’s worth of practices if his suspension stays as is.

“Daryl has been playing lights out,” Arians said. “He’s probably the second-most dynamic player in practice to Tyrann as far as interceptions and getting balls out. His rare athleticism and speed sets him apart. He’s been practicing hard, got a smile on his face and is doing everything asked of him. He knows where he stands.”

– Arians was asked if he had an update on the status of RB Ryan Williams and when he might return. “I have no idea,” Arians said. “I have no absolutely no idea.”

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “A Mathieu start and Washington’s plea”

1. By LadyBird04 on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

There never was an issue with Washington’s on-field or team centric actions. He has played lights-out since he came to the Cardinals. He has obviously had to face some of his demons off the field…the NFL Suspension and the domestic violence charges he still faces.

As a Cardinal fan I can’t wait to see him back full time but personally I have questions about him as a man.

2. By Dynosoar on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Pleasse understand that with the following I’m not questioning, I just want to understand. As I watched the game the other night I was pleased with the run defense. I know others are questioning it. Here’s the stats.

We ran 35 running plays (3 were QB runs) for 92 yrds
    Avg. 2.3

GB ran 29 running plays (2 from QB Young) for 89 yrds
    Avg. 3.0

I haven’t compared to other teams or the past (yet) and it’s pre-season scrimaging, but I feel holding the Packers scoreless and to an average of 3.0 yards per run is a good run defense.

Obviously ya’ll know I feel the passing game is king (o wait, that’s out TE) and so I’ve not studied the run game as much. SO with that caveat, and these statistics, do ya’ll still question the run defense or just want more games to feel comfortable?

Thanks ya’ll.

3. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

time to cut ways with ryan it is what it is with him….

4. By Hammy on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Feel so bad for Ryan Williams. He had a lot of upside and now there is no telling when this guy will play again. Not to sure what exactly is wrong with his knee, but Stephan Taylor, Smith and maybe Ellington will not let him beat them out of a roster spot. Dont think Ryan makes the team, hope he can get healthy and have a productive career if not with the cards.

5. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

This Dallas game will be the ‘tell of the tape’ so to speak.

Totally different D than we have seen so far, this will be the boys third pregame and they should be a bit upset about the last time they were here.

This will be a good test for the 2013 Cards, win lose or draw.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By joe holst on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren , could you see the Cards trading Jamell Fleming to Cleveland for a 6th rounder so he could reunite with Ray Horton?

7. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

It is more of a wait and see with the running game. Dan Williams should play a role and he was out. So it is tough to tell. The Packers are not known for running and with 2 of their starting wrs out, and Rodgers in for a few plays, it is hard to say how we will do against the run if Rodgers was spreading us out.

Here is what I do know.
    The cards were 28th against the run last year (yds giving up). That is bad.
    We added no new starters on the dline as Dockett, Williams and Campbell all return.
    Abraham is a pass rushing guy, so he wont help. Brinkley and Minter are nice pickups and should help against the run. Acho and Alexander are the OLBs and Alexander has been used as a special teams guy and occational pass rusher.
    So the personnel isn’t going to change things by themselves.

So what that leaves us with is two things;
    1. Do you believe the cards can score early and often, causing teams to play from behind, allowing the cards playmakers, Washington, Abraham, PP and Honey Badger, to cause turnovers??
    2. Do you believe Todd Bowles scheme will fix the run defense with multiple fronts and blitzes.

My concern is #2. I am not sure Williams and Dockett are productive. I would like to see in next years draft / FA some bigger guys and play a more traditional 3-4.
    That is my opinion and I hope Bowles and Dockett prove me wrong.

I think Dallas will be a nice test.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Trade

I can see any extra players being dangled in a trade. Not sure there will be takers. Horton wasn’t exactly high on Fleming as the year wrapped up last season.

9. By joe holst on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

oh yeah that horrible Seattle game. I know they got a 7th round pick for Al Jefferson last year and this secondary is better and deeper. I think they will acquire a late rounder for either Fleming or Bethel Johnson or maybe a tight end.

10. By jasonc on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

To add on to JTDG’s point the Packers didn’t play their projected starting RB DuJuan Harris or Eddie Lacy their 2nd round pick. I agree that the score of the game has a lot to do with rush defense stats which is why Arians has said he’s not concerned with defensive yard stats provided we are league leaders in defensive turnovers and points against. Had our offense been able to score more points last year I’m sure we would’ve had a much more balanced d in yardage. It’s too early to tell what Bowles D can do but the turnovers and goose egg on the scoreboard are a good start for our d.

11. By ored on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

little early to be thinking personel and schemes for next year,let alone the draft,although i’m sure somebody is performing due diligence at this moment,which is another reason to get behind this staff,need to stay a step ahead of the crowd.but i also know DD is’nt getting any younger and he really needs a rook to train,someone to carry on for him at some later date.

now the ice is broken they can let loose a little against dallas,just play like you belong.

12. By Eazy E on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

I’m happy for Tyrann even though Rashad was doing good also but he was going to imo get one of those safety spots sooner or later. I also hope Daryl can get his suspension lessened but we’ll see.

2. Aug 14, 2013: Tyrann Mathieu will likely start this week - Pro Football Zone
  3. Aug 17, 2013: Arizona Cardinals: Cardinals Chatter - Raising Zona - An Arizona Cardinals Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.